[Official] Brazil REVAMP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Official] Brazil REVAMP [I, GP]

Postby jiminski on Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:13 pm

Marvaddin wrote:Afffff, talking about the tilt is getting boring. Im not really considering to approve it, because:

^^ This is what Im saying: I dont feel that I should let it looking weird to us Brazilians, just because some foreign people think its more beautiful with a tilt. Guys, its our country, I cant think that we should have it tilted because you look at the map and see an empty angle. Its more important than a simple good visual sensation. I could tolerate it if it was necessary due to maximum size restrictions, but as it isnt, well... you know.

About the revamp process, well, Im sorry if some think its frustating, but there was clear we would not quench the voted map, it would still be modified in the normal foundry process. And I have posted I would place veto to the tilt in the first comment about all the entries in 1st stage, so if it was in 2nd stage and people voted to it, well, not my fault, I suppose. If you really like the idea, you can ask for a new poll, to choose between rj map without a tilt and the other 2 entries, but Im very happy with the map and the cartographer, and I think it will be even better without the tilt, lets wait and give it a chance. ;)

hehe I really don't think you are sorry that it is frustrating 'some foreigners' at all Marv ;)
It seems that this is your map and no one else's opinion matters as much as your own?
I agree the veto was agreed upon but this is ridiculous to do it in this order! why get our hopes up and then shatter them after we have voted on our favourite image?
This order of operation was bound to cause conflict and a feeling of impotence for those who thought they were involved in the process of decision making!

This is not being modified in the normal foundry process; you are shaping the direction of another map makers creation and, i am sorry to say, in the face of public opinion.
whatever anyone says here, 700 odd people voted and the majority chose RJ's map with a tilt... you will ensure that we do not get it... really?

Your position seems to reflect a complete disregard for consensual oppinion... i am a relative New-boy here but from what i have seen of the Foundry, running roughshod over all other opinion is not normal procedure. (correct me if i am wrong please)

i apologise for the controversy RJ, i truly do. You have behaved with great humility and it was a beautiful work of art, which is why i am rather impassioned regarding it remaining in the style of majority choice!

I am a little incensed each time i look at the map now. I feel like a man who .. just about to make love to a beautiful woman, discovers a joint of beef and two onions in 'her' panties.
thanks for that. You got my hopes up and all i can look forward to is a pain in the arse!

I understand that preconceptions are a powerful master but resting ultimate power in the hands of such an intransigent viewpoint seems a little unfair... particularly when the community was offered the illusion of being able to contribute.

I completely understand your claim on the country of Brazil, Marv and I for one, would love to play on the map of it. But the balance and use of space which the tilt brings, truly is fantastic!
To the unbiased eye, it is almost perfect in composition.

I implore you to take other perspectives into consideration on equal terms, Marv.
Colonel jiminski

Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby Mjinga on Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:38 pm

jako wrote:
wcaclimbing wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:<Andy stuff>

<wcaclimbing stuff>

it doesnt look that bad. but im not american so i dont really care that much, but i still support the tilt.

Precisely. You're not from the country so you don't care.

I really think it's fair to put this one under Marvaddin's decision alone, since he is from Brazil and does care. I mean, I see everyone's points about public opinion and suchlike, but it is his map, and he did say that he wouldn't let the tilt go forward from round one. You all could whinge at RJ for misleading you in the polls instead of Marv for vetoing the tilt, if you want to whinge about something. :P
Reputation cleared. :) Never let it be said that Team CC don't investigate fairly.
Although they take bloody forever to do it...
Lieutenant Mjinga

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1)

Postby The Viking on Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:40 pm

You can't compare a tilted Brazil map to a tilted U.S. map.
And I'm not American.
The top(north) border of the U.S. is a straight line aligned east-west so tilting it looks strange. It is in no way comparable to Brazil, which has no straight lines.

I slightly tilted map of Iceland, where I'm from, does not look that weird to me and I wouldn't mind it if RJBeals had decided to tilt Iceland on his Iceland map, if it would serve some visual purpose.

It'd be interesting to see what people from countries other than Brazil and the U.S. think.
Corporal 1st Class The Viking

Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:43 pm

What if the map was tilted the other direction...a "more true representation." You migt be able to keep the minimap on the left, and put the legend on the right.

It may not be as pleasing as the current tilt, but it would allow both to stay perhaps, and it would be from a perspective people all around the world have seen the country from. :)

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby edbeard on Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:51 pm

I'm against removing the tilt because the mini-map currently looks like part of the tree in the background. If we 'untilted' the map, it wouldn't look like that anymore.

I'm for removing the tilt because Marvaddin wants to get rid of it and it's his map. It's a Marvocracy when it comes to certain things.
Major edbeard

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby jiminski on Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:02 pm

Mjinga wrote:
jako wrote:
wcaclimbing wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:<Andy stuff>

<wcaclimbing stuff>

it doesnt look that bad. but im not american so i dont really care that much, but i still support the tilt.

Precisely. You're not from the country so you don't care.

I really think it's fair to put this one under Marvaddin's decision alone, since he is from Brazil and does care. I mean, I see everyone's points about public opinion and suchlike, but it is his map, and he did say that he wouldn't let the tilt go forward from round one. You all could whinge at RJ for misleading you in the polls instead of Marv for vetoing the tilt, if you want to whinge about something. :P

Hey Mj. We are not wingeing.. please don't say that ;).
People are in here because they care about what comes out of the foundry. It is crazy but i am already attached to RJ's map and am truly looking forward to playing on it... but at the moment it looks like i will not get to.

I think i care about beauty and ideas as much as anyone genuinely cares about the angle of pivot along the north south line of longitude!
Last edited by jiminski on Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel jiminski

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby Mjinga on Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:06 pm

:) I don't mean it in a bad way.
Reputation cleared. :) Never let it be said that Team CC don't investigate fairly.
Although they take bloody forever to do it...
Lieutenant Mjinga

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1)

Postby jiminski on Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:13 pm

Mjinga wrote::) I don't mean it in a bad way.

I know MJ, you do not have bad in you!

i am just beginning to feel really sad about this map.
Colonel jiminski

Postby RjBeals on Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:29 pm

Jeez.. calm down. I can remove the tilt and still make the map look good.

As far as misleading the site with the tilt still in round-2,,, well we only had 3 days to adjust the image. I'm starting to regret winning - and would rather concentrate on iron curtain.
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby pamoa on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:07 am

RjBeals wrote:... I'm starting to regret winning - and would rather concentrate on iron curtain.

Prize of fame, you should be happy under the spotlights...
de gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces et donjonnée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Sergeant 1st Class pamoa

Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (8)
Map Contribution (3)

Postby RjBeals on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:39 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Okay - all I've basically done was remove the tilt - however that took a lot of work. I had to redraw every border. But I think the map looks fine this way. I had to "adjust" some of the borders in the top right (NorthEast) blue section in order to fit the names and/or circles the way I did. I hope that's alright.

I also removed the text legend and have just the minimap, since I think that was the preferred legend. With the title in the upper right, and the legend in the lower left, I think the map still feels balanced.

I also changed the color of the impassable borders.

From here I can work on spellings or territ names - Hope you like.
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Re: [Official] Brazil REVAMP (Update No Tilt) [I, GP]

Postby ZeakCytho on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:50 pm

=D>

I think it looks just as good as before, and probably much better to Brazilians.
Captain ZeakCytho

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby jiminski on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:20 pm

just to compare

Click image to enlarge.
Colonel jiminski

Postby whitestazn88 on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:28 pm

it still looks real good rj... keep up the good work
Sergeant 1st Class whitestazn88

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby jako on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:03 pm

at least the no-tilt version doesnt look as bad as i imagined. but im still a tilt fan. :|

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas