Conquer Club

Wales [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Wales [I, GP, GFX] ->p1/13<- UPDATED Dec 29th

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:34 pm

Looking good since I last looked at it, Mr Benn! The only thing I'd consider is adding a little more color to the swatches in the legend, a touch maybe. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Blitzaholic on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:32 am

looks neat mr benn
General Blitzaholic

Postby lgoasklucyl on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:44 am

You may have just produced my new favorite map, I cannot wait for this to be quenched :D

The gameplay looks interesting and the graphics absolutely beautiful. I honestly can't find anything wrong with it no matter how hard I try, sorry :lol:
Sergeant 1st Class lgoasklucyl

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:31 pm

Here's another update...

I have increased the colour saturation of the blobs (official name) on the bonus legend.
    The bonus values for the regions have been updated - the total bonus will include +1 for each shire
    Hopefully the legend text is now fully comprehensible... the settlement icon has been moved into the first paragraph of instruction and looks a lot more coherent

Click image to enlarge.

To Do:
XML

For Discussion:
Are we satisfied with the bonus values for the regions?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby edbeard on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:27 pm

MrBenn wrote:I'm thinking of amending the region bonuses as follows:
The number in brackets is the total bonus, including the Shire bonus

GWYNEDD / North / Purple + 4 (+9)
    Y GORORAU / English / Green + 4 (+7)
    POWYS / Midlands / Yellow + 4 (+7)
    DEHEUBARTH / South-West / Red + 2 (+5)
    GLYWYSING / South / Purple + 2 (+4)

Any thoughts?

I think this is as good as we can get it. just be sure to keep a close eye on the beta games
Lieutenant edbeard

Re: Wales [I, GP, GFX] ->p1/14<- Jan 7th Update!

Postby oaktown on Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:36 am

little stuff...

A period to end the first sentence in the legend is missing (after "settlement").

The second paragraph should end "neighboring Shires" with an "s" as a clan can attack clans in more than one neighbor (in most cases).

I'm sure you've already come to the conclusion that when you finalize the army coordinates it may require moving some of the clan names on the small map... IAL looks especially crowded.

Looking fantastic... couple more days of simmering as a sticky and we can promote this. =D>
Captain oaktown

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:12 pm

oaktown wrote:little stuff...

A period to end the first sentence in the legend is missing (after "settlement"). I think I must have deletd the full-stop when moving the settlement icon...

The second paragraph should end "neighboring Shires" with an "s" as a clan can attack clans in more than one neighbor (in most cases).I was trying to work out whether the pronoun was singular or plural, but I think you're right ;-)

I'm sure you've already come to the conclusion that when you finalize the army coordinates it may require moving some of the clan names on the small map... IAL looks especially crowded. I might move the border a little to give a bit more room

Looking fantastic... couple more days of simmering as a sticky and we can promote this. =D> It's getting hot in here!
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Wales [I] v14 --- Nov 8th --- p1/9

Postby Genghis Khant on Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:51 am

Genghis Khant wrote:
Genghis Khant wrote:There should be circumflex accents on MĆ“n, LlÅ·n, RhĆ“s and IĆ¢l.

If you can't get the accents in the font you're using can't you just superimpose a ^ symbol onto them?

Apart from that, excellent work.
Corporal 1st Class Genghis Khant

Re: Wales [I] v14 --- Nov 8th --- p1/9

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:57 am

Genghis Khant wrote:
Genghis Khant wrote:
Genghis Khant wrote:There should be circumflex accents on MĆ“n, LlÅ·n, RhĆ“s and IĆ¢l.

If you can't get the accents in the font you're using can't you just superimpose a ^ symbol onto them?

Apart from that, excellent work.

I've got something up my sleeve... it's just proving to be harder than I thought ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:26 pm

Right, so here we go then...

I have made good use of WM's XML generating spreadsheet, and knocked out the XML; and I've worked out a better way of using the Map Assistant to plot coordinates - and not a single one is out of place after the first attempt... Woohoo!!
    The XML lists 21 continents - 16 for the shires, and then 5 for the regions proper.
    I've changed the settlement circles on the small map so that the army numbers will centre properly.
    The circumflex has been added to the couple of names that needed them - altough I now need to update these territory names in the XML

XML: http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/1/9/2 ... XML_02.xml
Conquer Club Map Maker
Test XML for Errors
    xml is valid. see test results.
    Summary: 0 errors and 0 warnings detected in WalesXML_02.xml (21 continents, 48 territories)

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby BrotherWolf on Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:12 pm

Just a small point, Caerdydd is still in welsh rather than the English Cardiff. Assuming all settlements are in English if there is an English version.
Sergeant 1st Class BrotherWolf

Re: Wales [I, GP, GFX] ->p1/14<- Jan 9th Nearly There!

Postby oaktown on Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:18 pm

We're getting down to the nit-picky stuff, so I guess it's time this be moved along...

Final Forge

---The Wales Map has reached the ā€˜Final Forgeā€™ Stage. The map has passed rigorous gameplay and graphics examinations, and major concerns have been addressed. If you have any other concerns, please make your voice heard. If after a reasonable amount of time there has not been any objection or protest, the map will be deemed finished with the 'Foundry Brand' of approval and will be submitted for live play. As long as there is still discussion or posts that have yet to be commented on, the map will remain in Final Forge until said discussion has reached the conclusion that the map has reached its final and polished version.

Post questions and concerns if any.

Captain oaktown

Re: Wales [FF] ->p1/14<- Jan 9th Nearly There!

Postby MrBenn on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:43 pm

Somebody must have a question or concern.... I know I'm being lazy with the XML and a post-quench update, but somebody must have something to say?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Wales [FF] ->p1/14

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:47 pm

id say make the minimap(bonuse thing) thing closer to the actual shape of the continent, for instance, the blue continent doesn't look anyting like it does on the minimap part
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:03 pm

I've been saying that this has been ready for a while...
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Re:

Postby Genghis Khant on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:02 am

BrotherWolf wrote:Just a small point, Caerdydd is still in welsh rather than the English Cardiff. Assuming all settlements are in English if there is an English version.

Just this.

Otherwise, I think it's ready to play.
Corporal 1st Class Genghis Khant

Postby MrBenn on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:25 am

Thank you for the commnets... I'll see if I can get the XML tonight...

I'll rename Cardiff at the same time.

The colour swooshes on the legend were originally only vaguely the same shape as the region, but I was asked to redo the red one... I think I prefer the look of slightly more arbitrary blobs, so might tinker around with that too.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby sailorseal on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:06 am

I like most things about this map, I have just one problem. Think of a 1v1 game, a nice drop could leave a player with the green bonus. That player would most likely win the game disregarding strategy. It's the same problem Luxembourg has. If there is a way you could change that I would recommend it, but sadly I have no suggestions for how to. This map is great, keep at it...
Cook sailorseal

Postby MrBenn on Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:58 pm

I've been a busy bee this evening, and have updated my XML, and renamed Caerdydd to Cardiff. Hopefully this thing is now ready to go...

XML: http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/1/9/2 ... XML_03.xml
Conquer Club Map Maker
Test XML for Errors
    xml is valid. see test results.
    Summary: 0 errors and 0 warnings detected in WalesXML_03.xml (21 continents, 48 territories)

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Wales [FF] -> Final Version p1/15

Postby oaktown on Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:59 pm

XML has been checked for validity by Forza and approved.

Can I ask a quick question about coordinates? Well, of course I can ask, and you can tell me to shove it I guess.

The coordinates in the circles look fine, but I am bothered by many of those not is circles. Looking at just the large map, some appear to be just a pixel or two from the territory title (eg. brycheiniog, Mynwy, Mon), while others show a significant gap (eg. Caerfyrdin). The map would look crisper if the gaps were of a consistent size - or at least if the gaps within one shire were the same.

in looking at the small map the differences in spacing is not so pronounced, and less of an issue.
Captain oaktown

Postby MrBenn on Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:32 am

I think I can see the numbers that you're referring to... I'll have an XML session tonight and get them moved :roll:
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby oaktown on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:11 pm

MrBenn wrote:I think I can see the numbers that you're referring to... I'll have an XML session tonight and get them moved :roll:

I'm dealing with the same thing in a map - it's almost easier to use army circles, because then you just worry about where the count is relative to the circle. Without army circles the numbers themselves become a visual element of the map, and you have to worry about their coordinates from both a practical and an aesthetic point of view.
Captain oaktown

Postby yeti_c on Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:04 am

oaktown wrote:
MrBenn wrote:I think I can see the numbers that you're referring to... I'll have an XML session tonight and get them moved :roll:

I'm dealing with the same thing in a map - it's almost easier to use army circles, because then you just worry about where the count is relative to the circle. Without army circles the numbers themselves become a visual element of the map, and you have to worry about their coordinates from both a practical and an aesthetic point of view.

Wha - is this teh Oak advocating Army Circles?!?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby oaktown on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:30 am

yeti_c wrote:Wha - is this teh Oak advocating Army Circles?!?

I actually like army circles. A clean army circle that works well with the style map improves gameplay, in my opinion. But the centering is a pain in the ass, so when WM suggested I pull the circles on my Eastern Hemisphere map I put up a sample draft right quick and I haven't gone back. :-$

In the case of this map, I think no circles is the best option as it further distinguishes the cities from the shires.
Captain oaktown

Postby Teflon Kris on Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:30 am

Yeah, I have something to say - get it quenched.

Cant wait to play - the triple terit scenario is unique and will no doubt create unique gameplay and tactics.
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas