Conquer Club

Wales [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Wales [I, GP] -- p1/12-- UPDATED Dec 12th

Postby MrBenn on Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:51 pm

Thanks Oaktown! =D>

I'll get working on the instructions!
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Wales [I, GP] -- p1/12-- UPDATED Dec 12th

Postby gimil on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:30 pm

On a graphical note benn, I got nothing. Although in a vain attempt to be a dick head I have come up with this. The title text around the welsh dragon image; I think this would look better and more fitting if it looked something like a painted image (similar to hte dragon) rather than a worn ink text type thing that you have jsut now. But that is just me ripping the arse out of it because I don't want to give you a stamp so soon after the gameplay stamp.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: Wales [I, GP] -- p1/12-- UPDATED Dec 28th

Postby MrBenn on Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:49 am

Here we go with another update...

The biggest change is that of the instructive text - hopefully it is now much clearer how bonuses/attacks work
    I have also moved the mountain range between green/blue to make the Northern region slightly harder to hold - this is the only thing about the gameplay that bugged me.
    Since the addition of the settlements, I have increased the map sizess, and ensured that both versions now fit within the size restrictions.

Click image to enlarge.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:47 pm

this map is friggin awesome
=D> =D> =D> :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby gimil on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:23 pm

Ok benn,

Here you go.

What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby MrBenn on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:25 pm

gimil wrote:Here you go.

It's a little late for Christmas, but thanks all the same ;) \:D/

edit: re-posting pictures onto the latest page
Click image to enlarge.
[/quote]
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Wales [I, GP, GFX] -- p1/13-- UPDATED Dec 28th

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:30 pm

i think that this map is very good, i was thinking maybe a few ports, connecting one of the lower territories to the upper ones, i think that the whole settlment and clan idea is really unique, i a likey
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby edbeard on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:47 pm

my only comment is the same one I've posted before (well I'm pretty sure I talked about this a little while back). the shire bonuses are quite high and maybe rightly so normally since they are quite hard to hold but it's not a normal situation. maybe they won't be held often but when they are watch out! +6 bonus (9 armies minimum to deploy) for holding yellow or green might be a killer on such a small map. when we add in

ok wait. when did holding the settlements as well come into the shire bonuses? that changes it a bit. I'll wait for confirmation that this is true because I'm fairly sure this wasn't the case previously or at least the legend didn't express this
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby cairnswk on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:53 pm

Mr Benn. i have to reinterate LED ZEPPELINER's words...awesome :)
I have not looked at this for some time - so my eyes are almost as a newcomer seeing it for the for the first time...

Would you examine these small items however below:
1. Can you fade the background a touch - it is very overpowering and draws one's eyes into it rather than the playing area - perhaps a reduction in opacity of 10% if you have it on a separate layer.
2. Small map - I am concered about the text placement of Llangefni - it is too close to the red 88 you have for MON. Can you do anything to alleviate this as it may cause confusion - i am basing this on the fact that most players would play the small map first without reference to the large map where it is clearer.
3. For me, it is clear that the round stroke symbols are the settlements, right. yet nowhere on your legend or in the text have you indicated that these are settlements. Perhaps an inclusion would help to avoid confusion.
4. nit picking - In some settlements placement of the army numbers does not appear centered. Hereford, Shewsbury, Flint, Monmoth etc.

I have to say, (and don't let this go to your head please ;) ) this would have to be one of the best artistic works on this site. =D>
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:58 pm

I've got nothing to add to this. It's just an all-around stunning map, Benn. Well done!
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby MrBenn on Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:45 pm

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:i think that this map is very good, i was thinking maybe a few ports, connecting one of the lower territories to the upper ones, i think that the whole settlment and clan idea is really unique, i a likey

Thanks. With the double-armies-per-territory, connectivity is very high - negating the need for any ports.

edbeard wrote:ok wait. when did holding the settlements as well come into the shire bonuses? that changes it a bit. I'll wait for confirmation that this is true because I'm fairly sure this wasn't the case previously or at least the legend didn't express this

Yes - both the clans and settlements are required for the bonuses. This was changed on a previous version, but the wording was a bit vague and imprecise. I'd be grateful for any further thoughts regarding bonus values for the regions...

cairnswk wrote:1. Can you fade the background a touch - it is very overpowering and draws one's eyes into it rather than the playing area - perhaps a reduction in opacity of 10% if you have it on a separate layer.
2. Small map - I am concered about the text placement of Llangefni - it is too close to the red 88 you have for MON. Can you do anything to alleviate this as it may cause confusion - i am basing this on the fact that most players would play the small map first without reference to the large map where it is clearer.
3. For me, it is clear that the round stroke symbols are the settlements, right. yet nowhere on your legend or in the text have you indicated that these are settlements. Perhaps an inclusion would help to avoid confusion.
4. nit picking - In some settlements placement of the army numbers does not appear centered. Hereford, Shewsbury, Flint, Monmoth etc.

Thanks Cairns.
1. Assuming you're referring to the crumpled-paper effect, that's no problem. If you think any of the grunge effects need to be toned down, they can be tweaked too...
2/3. I'll see what I can do, but it's possible that sorting #3 will help with #2.
4. I haven't done any of the XML yet - that's just me being lazy with my army numbers layer ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:06 pm

MrBenn wrote:.....
Thanks Cairns.
1. Assuming you're referring to the crumpled-paper effect, that's no problem. If you think any of the grunge effects need to be toned down, they can be tweaked too... ;-)

Yes maybe the grunge effects need tweaking also. See what you come up with to not draw my eyes to it.
Private cairnswk

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:26 pm

there is (i dont think so) anything else that needs to be said, well done, i think that after you finish those few things, your in for quick run. =D> :mrgreen: :D :shock: 8-)
Last edited by MrBenn on Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't need so many smileys
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby e_i_pi on Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:36 pm

MrBenn wrote:I am hoping that everything will be finished with it in the very near future, and would be grateful for any feedback on the latest version

Quench?
Captain e_i_pi

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:25 pm

It's beautiful.

When do we play??? Oh, and I understand the instructions too.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby edbeard on Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:03 am

well it's a whole whole lot easier to look at bonuses now since there's no speculation about what the players will be holding.

Blue - 15 terr. 6 border. 2 cont. 6 terr attack. bonus total 5+5+3=13 (8)
Green - 9 terr. 6 border. 3 cont. 12 terr attack. bonus total 3+3+6=12 (9)
yellow - 9 terr. 6 border. 4 cont. 12 terr attack. bonus total 3+3+6=12 (9)
red - 9 terr. 4 border. 2 cont. 8 terr attack. bonus total 3+3+3=9 (6)
purple. 6 terr. 4 border. 3 cont. 6 terr attack. bonus total 3+2+3=8 (5)

the list is terr. shire. continent. the () are your "true" continent bonuses (the shires plus the continent). they all seem a bit high to me. even though the continents are hard to hold. we've got a 48 territory map which is mid-size but the starting is 32 territories which is a smaller map. so it's hard to say how the bonuses should work on this. more like a small map where they need more discussion and thought or more like a mid-size where formulaic bonuses generally work.

my personal thoughts below

+5 for purple is a bit high. 4 border continent with 6 territories is more like a +4 on a regular map. dropping the bonus to a +2 seems to make sense.

red seems like it should be a +5. dropping the bonus to a +2 as well might be a good idea.

yellow and green should be +7 or +8. maybe yellow +8 and green +7 since yellow is in the middle of everything.

blue...well...that might be about right.

at the least, I hope you look at the "true" bonuses I've put above
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby MrBenn on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:39 am

Thanks edbeard. I'm going to re-run the figures for the region bonuses, and will bear in mind your considerations/concerns.

Meanwhile, here's a little update to mull over:

I've tweaked some of the background effects - turned them down slightly more on the small map than the large.
    On the small map, the labels on the Isle of Anglesey have been moved/shrunk a bit to make it more obvious where the army numbers go
    The Settlement image has reappeared on the legend.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Wales [I, GP, GFX] ->p1/13<- UPDATED Dec 29th

Postby MrBenn on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:56 am

I'm thinking of amending the region bonuses as follows:
The number in brackets is the total bonus, including the Shire bonus

GWYNEDD / North / Purple + 4 (+9)
    Y GORORAU / English / Green + 4 (+7)
    POWYS / Midlands / Yellow + 4 (+7)
    DEHEUBARTH / South-West / Red + 2 (+5)
    GLYWYSING / South / Purple + 2 (+4)

Any thoughts?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby sam_levi_11 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:08 am

i love how this has progressed, at the start it had nothing to seperate it from the others but now it has totally unique gameplay and has made a small country become a comparitively big map.
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Postby Riazor on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:20 pm

Tell me if im missing something, but can a clan attack the other clan in the same shire, or do they ave to go through the settlement (or neighbouring shire) first?
Lieutenant Riazor

Postby Androidz on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:46 pm

Verry good map ben=)
Private Androidz

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:25 pm

Sorry if you said this before, but are the 88's an XML test or just inserted there?
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby MrBenn on Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:08 pm

Riazor wrote:Tell me if im missing something, but can a clan attack the other clan in the same shire, or do they ave to go through the settlement (or neighbouring shire) first?

Good catch - I'll update the legend text to read as follows:

Within each Shire, two CLANS battle for control of
    the Settlement. Capture both Shire CLANS and the Settlement and you will receive a bonus army.

Settlements can only be assaulted by CLANS from the same Shire. Each CLAN can assault any of the CLANS in the same or neighbouring Shire.

Occupy all the CLANS and Settlements in a region, and you will receive the following bonus in
    addition to the Shire bonuses...

the.killing.44 wrote:Sorry if you said this before, but are the 88's an XML test or just inserted there?
MrBenn wrote:4. I haven't done any of the XML yet - that's just me being lazy with my army numbers layer ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:57 pm

Mr Benn. Looking good.
1. Thanks for addressing the Llangefni issue.
2. On the Settlement image in the legend, i think it would be better to have the Settlement indicator at the very beginning of the explanations so that when players read the first paragraph which mentions settlement they will immediately know what it is.
3. Background looks a lot better now and doesn't detract from fab artwork you have. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby MrBenn on Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:16 pm

Thanks Cairns.

I'll move (and shrink) the settlement image in the legend - It would look better in the first paragraph ;-)

By the way - this is the 200th post in this thread!
Lieutenant MrBenn

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas