Wales [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Wales [Beta]

Postby MrBenn on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:34 pm

chipv wrote:Amwythig also. If you had this card would have hung too.

I did a find/replace for " <" which would have picked up both of those.

Interestingly, I'm still getting the 'exception' error... so far I've had it on Wales, Charleston, Scotland, Forbidden City... (amongst others) I'm beginning to wonder if it's something to do with lacks new hosting site - I've noticed that some map images can take a while to appear sometimes too... :?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby yeti_c on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:35 pm

Do you get this every time you enter these maps?

Or just when you enter some games?

Have you just left another game?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby MrBenn on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:53 am

It seems to be specific maps/games... the following Australia game (Game 4693062) hangs every time I go into it - I'm not sure if it's an issue with BOB or Clickies?

On a side note, lackattack has uploaded the updated XML (without trailing spaces), and I'm not sure I've had any 'hanging' on it since...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby Rustovitch on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:21 am

With the welsh map does anyone feel it strange that regional names are in Welsh, but the town names are in English? Surely they should both be in Welsh or both In English? (I'd support the latter as only 20% of the population speaks Welsh).
Cadet Rustovitch

Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby saaimen on Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:18 pm

My guess:
The "regional names" as you call them are in fact clans. Those are in Welsh as the whole 'clan' thing is pretty folk-ish, thus they should be in Welsh. None of them will probably have an English name (or do they?).
The towns on the other hand have official English names... which is why they're in English.

But like I said, it's a guess ;)
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (5)

Postby Rustovitch on Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:44 pm

saaimen wrote:My guess:
The "regional names" as you call them are in fact clans. Those are in Welsh as the whole 'clan' thing is pretty folk-ish, thus they should be in Welsh. None of them will probably have an English name (or do they?).
The towns on the other hand have official English names... which is why they're in English.

Fair enough...
(I am looking for things to moan about out of boredom).
Cadet Rustovitch

Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Wales [Quenched]

Postby Monsterblood on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:23 am

I like this map, just had my first go on it and its really enjoyable, good job mate.
Sergeant 1st Class Monsterblood

Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Wales [I] v14 --- Nov 8th --- p1/9

Postby MrBenn on Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:21 am

Rustovitch wrote:With the welsh map does anyone feel it strange that regional names are in Welsh, but the town names are in English? Surely they should both be in Welsh or both In English? (I'd support the latter as only 20% of the population speaks Welsh).
Rustovitch wrote:
saaimen wrote:My guess:

Fair enough...
(I am looking for things to moan about out of boredom).

For the record, here's where the clan names came from (back in November 2008):
Genghis Khant wrote:
MrBenn wrote:
Genghis Khant wrote:O'r diwedd! Mae rhywun yng nghynllunio map o Gymru. Ansawdd.

...ond, gan ddweud hwnna, dwi'n anghytuno gyda rhai o'r cyfieithu ac mae 'na un neu ddwy camgymeriad sillafu hefyd.

"At last! Somebody is designing a map of Wales. Quality.
..but, having said that, I disagree with some of the translations and there are one or two spelling mistakes as well."

Is that what you said? Welsh isn't a language I am overly familiar with... I can get as far as Araf, Heddlu, codwr and Cwm Rhondda...

I'll happily accept any guidance on the translation ;-)

Close, very close. Are you Welsh, or were you educated here?

I'll gladly help you with the translations. What with the two tribes format I reckon you should name the 'continents' after the early medieval kingdoms - Gwynedd, Deheubarth, Powys, Glywysing & Y Gororau (the Marches) - and name the tribes after the cantrefi within them.

In each case north precedes south.

Gwynedd
Anglesey; Môn & Aberffraw
Caernarvonshire; Arfon & Llŷn
Merioneth; Dunoding & Meirionnydd
Denbighshire; Rhôs & Rhufoniog
Flintshire; Tegeingl & Iâl

Deheubarth
Cardiganshire; Ceredigion & Aberteifi
Pembrokeshire; Preseli & Penfro
Carmarthenshire; Dinefwr & Caerfyrddin

Powys
Montgomeryshire; Madog & Gwenwynwyn
Radnorshire; Maelienydd & Elfael
Breconshire; Buellt & Brycheiniog

Glywysing
Glamorgan; Gorfynydd & Penychen
Monmouthshire; Mynwy & Caerwent

Y Gororau
Cheshire; Caerlleon & Maelor
Shropshire; Amwythig & Pengwern
Herefordshire; Henffordd & Ergyng

created by MrBenn = creu gan MrBenn

The poem will take more time, I haven't done any barddoniaeth since I left school.
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Re: Wales [Quenched]

Postby MrBenn on Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:22 am

Monsterblood wrote:I like this map, just had my first go on it and its really enjoyable, good job mate.

Thank you ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Previous

Return to The Atlas