Conquer Club

Europe 1914 [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: EUROPE 1914-New Update!!9sept** page 1-7[IDEA STAMP]

Postby Qwert on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:23 pm

by sam_levi_11 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:05 pm

why is england called london?

Because its Capital of Uk? OR i miss something?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby foregone on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:29 pm

qwert wrote:
by sam_levi_11 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:05 pm

why is england called london?

Because its Capital of Uk? OR i miss something?

You use the capitals for some locations and the country names for others. Apologies if I missed something about this earlier, but I'm also wondering if there is a reason for this? In other words, why use the country names for Scotland and Ireland, for example, and then London instead of England?
Corporal 1st Class foregone

Postby Qwert on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:34 pm

foregone
You use the capitals for some locations and the country names for others. Apologies if I missed something about this earlier, but I'm also wondering if there is a reason for this? In other words, why use the country names for Scotland and Ireland, for example, and then London instead of England?

I dont understand why you look only england?
Do you dont notice that in map you have all major capitals from bouth sides. And that objective on map is to capture capitals. These will be more inapropriate to write-"Capture Entente capitals-PAris-Rome-Saint Petersburg-England"
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby foregone on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:35 pm

Okie. Makes sense.
Corporal 1st Class foregone

Postby lt_oddball on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:44 am

qwert wrote:
edit:
I forgot; you need a starting location nr. 8.
Ok, keep Cyprus as nr. 8, but make it neutral/grey.

Balkan is not united, but these is area who cover balkan states. Dont tell me that now i must create separate 6 country. France and england also not united,but present western allied.
You very good know that cuprys is british controled issle,and its not so far from western allied.

British controlled in history , yes..but on this game map it presents problems for the westernallies zone controlling player.
Suppose he (by luck) controls all the westernallies territ. and someone from Balkans zone (Krete?) knocks Cyprus out.. knowing fully well that the Italy controlling player presents a buffer.
How is the west allies player ever going to retake cyprus without invading Italy and Balkans ?

Gametechnically This means that no-one will control the western allies independently from the Italian or German bonuszone player.
Meaning he who controls England and France can do so only AFTER having first control over Germany or first over Italy.
Meaning..once a player has a spawn with many territ in the western allies area..he won't make it on the long run.

Really Cyprus must be a neutral piece of land...(and why didn't the british invade the Turkish mainland from Cyprus in WW1 and chose instead the Galapagos ?...proves the insignificance of Cyprus.. ;) )
Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intellegor ulli.
Major lt_oddball

Postby Qwert on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:10 pm

British controlled in history , yes..but on this game map it presents problems for the westernallies zone controlling player.
Suppose he (by luck) controls all the westernallies territ. and someone from Balkans zone (Krete?) knocks Cyprus out.. knowing fully well that the Italy controlling player presents a buffer.
How is the west allies player ever going to retake cyprus without invading Italy and Balkans ?

Gametechnically This means that no-one will control the western allies independently from the Italian or German bonuszone player.
Meaning he who controls England and France can do so only AFTER having first control over Germany or first over Italy.
Meaning..once a player has a spawn with many territ in the western allies area..he won't make it on the long run.

Really Cyprus must be a neutral piece of land...(and why didn't the british invade the Turkish mainland from Cyprus in WW1 and chose instead the Galapagos ?...proves the insignificance of Cyprus.. )

If you look on map,Russian empire is also very hard to controled,also German Austro hungarian and Balkan states is dificulty to control.
I create map where is main objective to capture capitals and win a games. I think that all countries is in some way hard to control,and these is what is most importan-balanced gameplay.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Blitzaholic on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:49 pm

qwert wrote:Any sugestion for disscused?

looking good
General Blitzaholic

Postby Qwert on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:23 am

thanks blitz
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby lt_oddball on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:59 pm

qwert wrote:

Really Cyprus must be a neutral piece of land...(and why didn't the british invade the Turkish mainland from Cyprus in WW1 and chose instead the Galapagos ?...proves the insignificance of Cyprus.. )

If you look on map,Russian empire is also very hard to controled,also German Austro hungarian and Balkan states is dificulty to control.
I create map where is main objective to capture capitals and win a games. I think that all countries is in some way hard to control,and these is what is most importan-balanced gameplay.

I don't know if you can say it is balanced, yet.
But western Allies and russia and Turks all have the benefit of being corner bonuszones...so maybe that compensates the Cyprus issue for W-Allies a bit..but it is not quite even.
Can't say what effect it has on gameplay balance for the getting 4 capitols objective.

Question: what is "m." above Albania ? and why having such a tiny territory in Balkans zone ?
Just have it included in Albania so you have more space to type "Albania" as well (of course adjust bonus value of Balkans if need be).
Major lt_oddball

Postby Qwert on Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:14 pm

I don't know if you can say it is balanced, yet.
But western Allies and russia and Turks all have the benefit of being corner bonuszones...so maybe that compensates the Cyprus issue for W-Allies a bit..but it is not quite even.
Can't say what effect it has on gameplay balance for the getting 4 capitols objective.

Question: what is "m." above Albania ? and why having such a tiny territory in Balkans zone ?
Just have it included in Albania so you have more space to type "Albania" as well (of course adjust bonus value of Balkans if need be).

one best thing what you have for check gameplay is beta stage and all bad thing can fix.

Do you not notice abbreviation box on map-M is Montenegro. These is all independent states,and definitly i can not add Montenegro to be a part of albania. :!:
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby lt_oddball on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:30 am

qwert wrote:
Do you not notice abbreviation box on map-M is Montenegro. These is all independent states,and definitly i can not add Montenegro to be a part of albania. :!:

Ah, ja..
But what is the game purpose of having these very very very tiny territories (Montenegro and Bessarabia) on this map ?
Compared to all the other territories they are way too small and they have no significance (Like Paris) for the map.

If you fear for montenegroes (:D) coming after you, then split up the Balkans region in "North Balkans" and "SW_Balkans" or whatever... you have a large section "South France" & "North France" and the Scottish won't like to be seen as being part of England , not to mention Ireland...or what about Greece being a Balkan country ?
so the stretched standards you have there can be applied to the balkans as well.
Just have the 2 unjustified tiniest territories vanished.
Last edited by lt_oddball on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major lt_oddball

Postby Androidz on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:32 am

As i know cyrpus + blue continent will be IMPOSSIBLE to hold.

And i also read you want to keep it, heres my solution.

As in Europe map by mr benn. Have +1 for holding cyperus + london but dont make it a part of the western continent.
Private Androidz

Postby lt_oddball on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:35 am

Androidz wrote:As i know cyrpus + blue continent will be IMPOSSIBLE to hold.

And i also read you want to keep it, heres my solution.

As in Europe map by mr benn. Have +1 for holding cyperus + london but dont make it a part of the western continent.

hear-hear =D>
Major lt_oddball

Postby Qwert on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:05 am

hmm,maybe i can put like british bases ?

Ah, ja..
But what is the game purpose of having these very very very tiny territories (Montenegro and Bessarabia) on this map ?
Compared to all the other territories they are way too small and they have no significance (Like Paris) for the map.

If you fear for montenegroes (:D) coming after you, then split up the Balkans region in "North Balkans" and "SW_Balkans" or whatever... you have a large section "South France" & "North France" and the Scottish won't like to be seen as being part of England , not to mention Ireland...or what about Greece being a Balkan country ?
so the stretched standards you have there can be applied to the balkans as well.

Aim from Balkan,and i know that these small terittory have hes names,so i quit not understand why you dont want to see ALbania or Montenegro on map? Ireland and Scotland whas a part of United Kingdom and you must have some very good and valid reason to change these fact.
I belive that i create as much possible correct map of europe in year 1914,and if something wrong,then you tell me,but Montenegro and All other states is correct.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Androidz on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:09 am

qwert wrote:hmm,maybe i can put like british bases ?

Yes if thats a resounce to cyperus thingy.

Or British isle + Capital. bonus whatever im sure you could think about something better than have continent terretories far from echoter..

Otehr thing you could do tough is add a boat connection from london to cyrus or Airfield connection. Buts don't fitt well into the map me thinks:)
Private Androidz

Postby Qwert on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:09 am

OK,cyprus will be british bases,as concerne of bonuses,i think to be +1 but only if you hold Western Allied. I think that these is good solution.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Androidz on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:41 pm

qwert wrote:OK,cyprus will be british bases,as concerne of bonuses,i think to be +1 but only if you hold Western Allied. I think that these is good solution.

That sounds good=)

Is there any other bases you could add around the maps for other continents? It could be a intresting to gameplay if exs: russia had a island somewhere far away with same bonus system.
Private Androidz

Postby Qwert on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:04 pm

well for these part of europe i only know for cyprus
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Androidz on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:13 pm

qwert wrote:well for these part of europe i only know for cyprus

ok=)
Private Androidz

Postby lt_oddball on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:33 pm

qwert wrote:hmm,maybe i can put like british bases ?

Ah, ja..

Aim from Balkan,and i know that these small terittory have hes names,so i quit not understand why you dont want to see ALbania or Montenegro on map? Ireland and Scotland whas a part of United Kingdom and you must have some very good and valid reason to change these fact.
I belive that i create as much possible correct map of europe in year 1914,and if something wrong,then you tell me,but Montenegro and All other states is correct.

It's not the question of having a correct borderline. The question is why having these little and insignificant (to the map and indeed the history of that moment) countries (barely escaped from Ottoman control (!!!)) on the map, and not -for the sake of comparison- countries like Luxemburg (scenes of marching Huns) or Liechtenstein (never part of Austria!!) or even Wales or Northern Ireland ???

A map should be carved up in somewhat equal territories for a good balanced game dynamic. Except for particularly special situations (difficult to progress terrain..special historic valuable cityareas, etc..). There is no reason to have these tiny territories in that area.
The game map just doesn't look/play good.
I think your only motivation is that you live in that area..but that is not a valid argument.
Major lt_oddball

Postby Androidz on Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:04 pm

Greece seem so big and emety could you pliss add crete. (the island below where you placed greece?)
Private Androidz

Postby Merker on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:42 pm

Great map, on the final version though it shows the Entente it shows 'Western Allies' and with it shows Germany, what's up with that? Germany was apart of the Central Powers
Cook Merker

Postby Qwert on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:44 am

It's not the question of having a correct borderline. The question is why having these little and insignificant (to the map and indeed the history of that moment) countries (barely escaped from Ottoman control (!!!)) on the map, and not -for the sake of comparison- countries like Luxemburg (scenes of marching Huns) or Liechtenstein (never part of Austria!!) or even Wales or Northern Ireland ???

A map should be carved up in somewhat equal territories for a good balanced game dynamic. Except for particularly special situations (difficult to progress terrain..special historic valuable cityareas, etc..). There is no reason to have these tiny territories in that area.
The game map just doesn't look/play good.
I think your only motivation is that you live in that area..but that is not a valid argument.

Its look that you realy dont know history of WWI, Balkan Front for you is little or dont have any insignificant value. Serbian casualty is biger then Belgian in these war,and it in 5th place of Entente Power Military casualty. In serbian campaing to conquer Serbia Central power collect 682000 soldier against 225ooo serbian(total over 900000).After fall of Sebia,1916 is establish MAcedonian front who contain-291 allied batalion-300 bulgarian battalion-10 german battalion-if we take that one batalion have 1500 soldier,these give number of 901500 soldier.
And last Serbian army lost 275000 death-133000 wounded-and civilian kiled 450000. Please dont tell me that these is not insignificant.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby MrBenn on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:35 pm

qwert wrote:Ireland and Scotland whas a part of United Kingdom and you must have some very good and valid reason to change these fact.

Ireland is not part of the UK, but it's your map ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Incandenza on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:48 pm

MrBenn wrote:
qwert wrote:Ireland and Scotland whas a part of United Kingdom and you must have some very good and valid reason to change these fact.

Ireland is not part of the UK, but it's your map ;-)

Um, in 1914 Ireland was still part of the UK....
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas