Cairns Metro [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Cairns Metro V5(P4) - Designing

Postby DiM on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:05 pm

v5 is on page 3 not 4 as the title says :mrgreen:

anyway back to business.

1. please save the image as png and make the background transparent instead of white. it would look much better
2. the wave rings on the title sign look a bit unnatural. perhaps making them slowly fade away towards the edges would look better
3. i'm not a big fan of lake moris. i know it starts neutral so it's not such a big deal but i just don't like 1 terit bonuses. perhaps splitting it in half and making 2 terits with a bonus of 2 would be better and make the otehr terit connect to crystal cascades
4. on the minimap the east trinity bonus doesn't make it clear that yarrabah and trinuty point are part of the same continent. perhaps making the beaches up north a bit bigger (just on the minimap) and moving the 4 in the middle would help.
5. some continent names are hard to read or are overlapped by borders/army circles. ex: redlynch, city heights
6. the minimap has a white rim that turns green on the left side.
7. also the poles holding the minimap kinda look like some sort of ... ummm... phallic symbols :lol:
8. the bridge in Machans Beach borders both the airport and the freshwater terits? if the answer is yes then i think a split bridge would do a better job. something like a Y tilted 90 degrees clockwise like this: -<
9. the redlynch - freshwater bridge has a gradient between the terits colours while others aren't coloured in terits colours
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby mibi on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:52 pm

This map needs more flavor. I don't like the Overlay text either, it looks too watermark-ish. THe boat connections needs to be better presented, its all clusterfucked in a square centermeter there. The title and its integration is great though, nice touch.

Hows that for an open face comment sandwich. :twisted:
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Re: Cairns Metro V6

Postby cairnswk on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:41 pm

DiM wrote:v5 is on page 3 not 4 as the title says :mrgreen:
:oops:

1. please save the image as png and make the background transparent instead of white. it would look much better
2. the wave rings on the title sign look a bit unnatural. perhaps making them slowly fade away towards the edges would look better

Fixed.

3. i'm not a big fan of lake moris. i know it starts neutral so it's not such a big deal but i just don't like 1 terit bonuses. perhaps splitting it in half and making 2 terits with a bonus of 2 would be better and make the otehr terit connect to crystal cascades

OK I've split that into two terts, and connected it with some walking tracks.

4. on the minimap the east trinity bonus doesn't make it clear that yarrabah and trinuty point are part of the same continent. perhaps making the beaches up north a bit bigger (just on the minimap) and moving the 4 in the middle would help.

Done.

5. some continent names are hard to read or are overlapped by borders/army circles. ex: redlynch, city heights

Fixed.

6. the minimap has a white rim that turns green on the left side.

Fixed.

7. also the poles holding the minimap kinda look like some sort of ... ummm... phallic symbols :lol:
Sorry if you have a one-track mind Dim, but i think they're very realistic and certainly what we use here in Oz just for such things. :)

8. the bridge in Machans Beach borders both the airport and the freshwater terits? if the answer is yes then i think a split bridge would do a better job. something like a Y tilted 90 degrees clockwise like this: -<

Done

9. the redlynch - freshwater bridge has a gradient between the terits colours while others aren't coloured in terits colours

Yes i see that, and i'll look at that shortly when i decide on what to do with the bridges.

Version 6 below
Corporal cairnswk

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:46 pm

mibi wrote:This map needs more flavor. I don't like the Overlay text either, it looks too watermark-ish. THe boat connections needs to be better presented, its all clusterfucked in a square centermeter there. The title and its integration is great though, nice touch.

Thanks mibi for those comments.
I'm not sure we're going to be able to do something about the boat connections as this is where they EXIST.
However, i'll examine all for you.
Aren't you watching your own Presidential Debate? I am.
Corporal cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby DiM on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:02 pm

looks much better now.

just one more thing. you moved the ... erm .. ph...poles around and now they don't touch the bottom of the map. instead they just seem to float in mid air.
i think you should not extend them towards the bottom of the map but instead do what you did with the title sign. make the poles stick in the map itself.
put some dirt and some grass at the foot of the poles and they'll look great.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)

Postby cairnswk on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:22 pm

DiM wrote:looks much better now.

just one more thing. you moved the ... erm .. ph...poles around and now they don't touch the bottom of the map. instead they just seem to float in mid air.
i think you should not extend them towards the bottom of the map but instead do what you did with the title sign. make the poles stick in the map itself.

Yes, that's why i pulled them up from the bottom, I'm working on that now. Thanks dim for your feedback. :)
Corporal cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:34 am

cairnswk wrote:
DiM wrote:looks much better now.

Yes, that's why i pulled them up from the bottom, I'm working on that now. Thanks dim for your feedback. :)

Inversion 6 above
1. Grass added to bottom of poles
2. background tropical tree and beach added on right of map
Corporal cairnswk

Postby mibi on Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:55 am

cairnswk wrote:
mibi wrote:This map needs more flavor. I don't like the Overlay text either, it looks too watermark-ish. THe boat connections needs to be better presented, its all clusterfucked in a square centermeter there. The title and its integration is great though, nice touch.

Thanks mibi for those comments.
I'm not sure we're going to be able to do something about the boat connections as this is where they EXIST.
However, i'll examine all for you.
Aren't you watching your own Presidential Debate? I am.

the city is a long territory with lots of shorefront, why do both boat connections have to be milimeters apart?
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Re: Cairns Metro V6(P4) - Designing

Postby DiM on Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:29 am

i agree with mibi on this one. the yarrabach and yorkey boats could be spaced a bit more in the city terit.

also i like the palm tree as that area was feeling a bit too empty :P
Major DiM

Re: Cairns Metro V7

Postby cairnswk on Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:59 pm

mibi wrote:...
the city is a long territory with lots of shorefront, why do both boat connections have to be milimeters apart?

DiM wrote:i agree with mibi on this one. the yarrabach and yorkey boats could be spaced a bit more in the city terit.

also i like the palm tree as that area was feeling a bit too empty :P

I'm hearing you both...the reason i placed it like that was because all that front city shoreline is mud mangrove swamp and largely inaccessible for boats, however, i have moved them apart more.

I've tried some landscaping etc and it didn't work, and after doing that, i'm kind of thinking that because this map is really cluttered tert-wise in the middle, it's not going to take anymore graphics around the continents themselves. Perhaps that palm tree need to go and be replaced with something else, while you like it Dim, it's wearing thin with me.

Anyway, version 7 below with some small changes.

Corporal cairnswk

Re: Cairns Metro V7(P4) - Designing

Postby ZeakCytho on Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:21 pm

I'd vote to get rid of the palm tree. It's just...meh.

Also, the grass at the bottom left is less than spectacular. It adds a nice flair, but I think you could do a better job with it.

Overall, I love this map :)
Captain ZeakCytho

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:44 pm

Ok, you've lost me a bit. The perspective drives this guy crazy. The sign popping out of the water looks all wrong to me. The sign(poles) should be sticking up out the water, at an angle at least. Here you have the sign flat, yet sticking straight out of the flat water. The bottom of the poles, and the water lines should be oval shapped.
The other sign looks fine, because it looks like an image laid over the map, not like it is a part of the map.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (3)

Postby e_i_pi on Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:51 pm

Map looks great, I'm almost loathe to point anything out, but since it's so polished, I imagine cleaning up specks here and there is the priority now:

The boat route from Portsmith to Edmonton East has a dot kind of directly east of Portsmith text that could probably be removed.

The tinnie routes (lol can't believe there's tinnies in this map) don't correspond with the legend. The legend is '- - - -' and the routes are '- . - . - . -' The orads don't correspond exactly either now that I look closely

The texture on Northern beaches is a fair bit more noticeable than the other continents, so stands out as a little different style-wise.

The beach on Trinity Point is a bit, hmm, pixelated? It's a little too square and not fadey enough. Mind you it's only like 8 pixels lol, so might be hard to fine-tune

Aside from that, looking great. I'm really digging the subdued green of the non-play areas, the sign in the water is a nice touch. Mount Whitfield could probably use a touch-up. It's a pity topographic maps are hard to find, I could only locate one for this area of Cairns that was about 100x80px :(
Captain e_i_pi

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (3) General Contribution (2)

Postby benny profane on Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:02 pm

I kinda like the palm tree. Something at least should go there.
Do you think you could do something to help distinguish the walking trails?
Especially the one that runs along the river.
The tinnie and roads are easily identifiable, and the walking trails could use the same treatment.
Lieutenant benny profane

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1)

Postby cairnswk on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:13 pm

Thanks guys, i'll get around to attending those issues you've posted about later this week. :)
Corporal cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas