Conquer Club

World 2.0/1 Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Latest and hopefully greatest? Version 12

Postby zim on Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:39 pm

This version puts most territories into a sub-bonus continent, cleans up colours, etc. Let me know what you all think and whether I've missed anything...

Cheers,

Mark

P.S. If you want to move the Israeli/Palestine and Communist/Capitalist debates to Flame Wars I'd be happy to provide the correct answers... :twisted:
Lieutenant zim

Postby hitandrun on Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:44 pm

sorry mate.

A few conection questions:
Norway to Greenland?
Yemen to Somalia?
Iran to Oman?
Sweden to Germany?

Couldn't quite tell if these were linked.
Corporal hitandrun

Postby spiesr on Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:00 pm

hitandrun wrote:sorry mate.

Norway to Greenland?
Yemen to Somalia?
Iran to Oman?
Sweden to Germany?

no
yes
mayby
no
Captain spiesr

Re: Latest and hopefully greatest? Version 12

Postby P Gizzle on Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:00 pm

zim wrote:P.S. If you want to move the Israeli/Palestine and Communist/Capitalist debates to Flame Wars I'd be happy to provide the correct answers... :twisted:

yeah i have some things to say as well.....
Gridiron Gang- CC's largest Clan!
Cook P Gizzle

Connections

Postby zim on Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:03 pm

Spiesr wrote:
hitandrun wrote:
sorry mate.

Norway to Greenland?
Yemen to Somalia?
Iran to Oman?
Sweden to Germany?

no
yes
mayby
no

Spiesr is correct on all counts with the maybe being a no; Iran is not connected to Oman.

Zim
Lieutenant zim

Postby cowshrptrn on Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:04 pm

I liek what you've done with the map. I'd jsut suggest connecting New Caledonia to Papua New Guinea
Private cowshrptrn

Postby happysadfun on Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:34 pm

I'm not really liking the whole hindustan thing.
You should add nz to australia, making it Anglo Oceania

Add Papua and Brunei to Indonesia, making it Greater Indonesia

Hindustan, minus Pakistan,+China+Korea+Mongolia+Japland+Indochina+Taiwan+Thailand+Myanmar+Malaysia+Nepal=Orient SubBonus

Stans+Kazakh+Iran+Pakistan+Afghanistan+Iran+Turkey=North Islamics SubBonus

Egypt+Sudan+Libya+Tunisia+Algeria+Morocco+Mauritania=African Arab World

Ghana=Cote di Ivoire

Own African Arab World, North Islamics, and MidEast and receive an extra bonus of 5, plus the three subbonuses for the individual subcontinents

Make Somalia an overlap of Mideast and Africa, but not a part of asia (That didn't make sense.)

If you must keep Hindustan, add Afghan and Nepal and Burma (Myanmar) to it and call it Indian SubContinent.

Moskva should be an overlap of Russia and Euro but not in Asia.

You're better off separating Yugoslavia from Poland.

Turkey is where the word Asia comes from. So it's Asian.

*out of breath*
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby gavin_sidhu on Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:15 pm

happysadfun wrote:I'm not really liking the whole hindustan thing.

You should add nz to australia, making it Anglo Oceania were multicultural over here, you should just call it ANZAC (Australia New Zealand Army Corps). Thats how we fought the world wars.

Add Papua and Brunei to Indonesia, making it Greater Indonesia and the phillipines

Hindustan, minus Pakistan,+China+Korea+Mongolia+Japland+Indochina+Taiwan+Thailand+Myanmar+Malaysia+Nepal=Orient SubBonus

Ghana=Cote di Ivoire keep it Ghana, its in the centre of that territory

If you must keep Hindustan, add Afghan and Nepal and Burma (Myanmar) to it and call it Indian SubContinent. Myanmar really aint part of the Indian subcontinent (i cheated on my map) but yeah sounds good

My edits in bold
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Comments...

Postby zim on Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:27 pm

Thanks for the comments, see responses below:

cowshrptrn wrote:
I liek what you've done with the map. I'd jsut suggest connecting New Caledonia to Papua New Guinea

Done, will be in the next revision.

happysadfun wrote:
...You should add nz to australia, making it Anglo Oceania

I'm trying to keep real countries where I can. I don't think it makes a significant strategic difference but I could be persauded. Let me know your rationale for adding it...

Add Papua and Brunei to Indonesia, making it Greater Indonesia

As with NZ above I'd prefer authenticity where possible but persaude me.

Stans+Kazakh+Iran+Pakistan+Afghanistan+Iran+Turkey=North Islamics SubBonus

I considered having a single territory present in multiple sub-bonus regions (mainly thinking about Egypt as part of the political though not geographic middle east) and felt that the map was already sufficiently busy and complex.

Egypt+Sudan+Libya+Tunisia+Algeria+Morocco+Mauritania=African Arab World

I'm still not sure whether we should add a third sub-region to Africa. If the consensus is that we should I think this is the logical grouping.

Ghana=Cote di Ivoire

Do you want me to re-create Cote D'Ivoire or just rename the amalgm I've called Ghana to Cote D'Ivoire. If the latter I'm cool with it.

Own African Arab World, North Islamics, and MidEast and receive an extra bonus of 5, plus the three subbonuses for the individual subcontinents
Make Somalia an overlap of Mideast and Africa, but not a part of asia (That didn't make sense.)

As with the other multi-bonus consitituants I think this might be strategically interesting but given the maps existing size and complexity I think it might be too much. Let's see what others think and revisit based on the responses?

If you must keep Hindustan, add Afghan and Nepal and Burma (Myanmar) to it and call it Indian SubContinent.

I'm okay to add Nepal and go with the Indian Subcontinent label if people prefer that to the Hindustan title which I suppose might be offensive/controversial to Sikhs and Muslims within the territory (I didn't intend any offence). Afghanistan and Burma/Myanmar are not part of the subcontinent as far as I know.

Moskva should be an overlap of Russia and Euro but not in Asia.

You're better off separating Yugoslavia from Poland.

Turkey is where the word Asia comes from. So it's Asian.

On Moskav I've already said my piece on multi-bonus territories. On Poland, I'd like to have more of the eastern european states in their but had to sacrifice them due to space. Picked "Poland" as the name as it's the largest population in the region.

On Turkey, I agree that only about 3% of Turkey's land mass is in Europe (and I compound this but not really highlighting Anatolian Turkey on the map). However I think geo-politically and strategically Turkey is more Europe than Asian, though I think it could be argued either way given it's Ottoman past and the like. I think the map is more 'interesting' with Turkey in Europe but I think this one is open to debate. Shall we let others way in and then reaccess?

*out of breath*

Me too. :wink: Thanks for all your suggestions and insights so far.

Cheers,

Zim
Lieutenant zim

Postby happysadfun on Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:03 pm

Do you want me to re-create Cote D'Ivoire or just rename the amalgm I've called Ghana to Cote D'Ivoire. If the latter I'm cool with it.
Rename the territory, it is the stronger country. (The latter.)

Afghanistan and Burma/Myanmar are not part of the subcontinent as far as I know
Myanmar really aint part of the Indian subcontinent (i cheated on my map) but yeah sounds good
about 45% is. Aghanistan is.
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby Marvaddin on Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:43 pm

Well, this version looks strange... By what I understood, Africa has 2 subcontinents, but a great region with same colours that looks like a continent. At other hand, asian areas that are not subcontinents, looks very confuse, too. In fact, now Im not sure if there is a way to make things clear without all countries to belong to a subcontinent. In fact, Im thinking its the better idea.

Ps: the way you splitted Brazil is terrible. I can send you a more realistic border, but so will be Brasilia conected to Africa. Would this be so bad?
Major Marvaddin

Postby happysadfun on Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:03 pm

I agree with you, marv.

By the way I know someone who immigrated to brazil and then came back again. he was an hour south of sao paulo and on the coast.

Cadet happysadfun

Postby Ishiro on Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:25 am

I love the subcontinent bonuses, but I think you might need to re-evaluate the supercontinent bonuses. Take North America for example, if you own all three subcontinents, you are getting a 9 army bonus, then also getting 10 more for holding all three. That jumps you to a 19 army bonus with 4 borders. South America is 16 with 4 borders. Africa is 27 with 6 borders. Europe is 18 with 9 (8?) borders. Oceania is 14 with 3 borders. Asia is 30 with 11 borders (but can reduce borders significantly by taking European countries).

Unless I'm reading that wrong, and the supercontinent bonus is the total, like you only get 1 extra army for holding all of North America. If that's true, then the legend needs to get clarified with notes or a better layout.
Corporal 1st Class Ishiro

Various comments...

Postby zim on Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:59 am

Marvaddin; please do send me a better way to split Brazil, I used the state borders but was arbitrary as to which I put in the north and which in the south. I'm OK with it being the north that borders Africa. On the colouring I'll revise in the next rev to make the subcontinents more distinct. I'll probably also punch up the black line I've got around them (maybe colour code it if it doesn't look to garish). I don't want to have everyone part of a subcontinent as I think it weakens the sub-continent concept.

Happysadfun; will do on Cote D'Ivoire in the next revision. I double checked the composition of the Indian subcontinent and at least according to the Wikipedia Afghanistan is not part of it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_subcontinent). That being said if you think it makes that map better esthetically and/or strategically I'm OK with adding it.

Ishiro; The whole continent is meant to be the total (I'll add some explanation to the legend about that and about Antarctica being worth 0 as well when we're closed on the numbers), i.e. you get 1 extra for holding the North American supercontinent.

Cheers,

Zim
Lieutenant zim

More Acturate World Map

Postby Zarg78 on Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:39 pm

A good idea is this map. Scale it down a little you should, though.
Live long and prosper.
Zarg78
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
Too fucked up to care any more,
(From Somewhat Damaged by Nine Inch Nails)
Cadet Zarg78

Postby sully800 on Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:16 pm

Looks like Yoda just dropped by :lol:
Major sully800

Latest flavour...

Postby zim on Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Latest version, makes minor edits to a few countries and their circles. Updates legend to make bonuses clearer. Changes colours in a few continents to try and make sub-bonus/non-sub-bonus territories clearer. Bumps charcoal sub-bonus territory border up to 3 pts for same reason.

Let me know what you think.

Also I wanted to get a handle on how much time/effort I was in for on the xml so did it for North and South America. Wasn't too painful given a decent text editor (Textwrangler) and Jota's excellent tools. Anyway here's a screen shot. I think with more refined positioning and likely making the shadow border and the shadow fill the same colour things will just fit (though their may be a few more ruckuses at the UN based on countries being merged unilaterally before we're through; Uruguay, Ecuador prepare to plead your cases..).

Cheers,

Zim
Lieutenant zim

Postby fighter1405 on Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:07 pm

I couldn't help noticing that on your test run of the xml the numbers are a bit off center

Otherwise a great map
You just have to accept that some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue
Private 1st Class fighter1405

Postby happysadfun on Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:11 pm

I don't know what better to call that area but it sure ain't the andes.

split the lightblue asia into north islam and orient.

moska and baltics are kind of scandinavian

Cadet happysadfun

Water or no?

Postby zim on Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:15 pm

Forgot, one esthetic question;

or

I'm partial to the water...

Cheers,

Zim
Lieutenant zim

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:22 pm

Looking at the quick check of XML you made, I would seriously look into increasing the size of the 'army shadows'. Two digits numbers are srunched in there, and are nearly overlapping the border.

Also is the current version you've been updating, your small or large version of the map?

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Far East?

Postby zim on Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:22 pm

I don't know what better to call that area but it sure ain't the andes.

split the lightblue asia into north islam and orient.

moska and baltics are kind of scandinavian

Happy; what do you think of a narrower definition of Orient, maybe a far east or some other name but with Japan, Korea, Taiwan and China? This leaves the malay penisula countries 'neutral'. I need to think on the northern islam suggestion.

I'm with you that andes isn't a great name for the Argentine/Chile/Bolivia group. Marvaddin, do you have any suggestions?

I agree a case could probably be made for the baltics and maybe western russian membership in scandinavia, do you think Nordics would be more accurate (I'd prefer to rename versus expand the territory particularly don't want to include Moskva given it's location and strategic value)?

Cheers,

Zim
Lieutenant zim

Version and circles...

Postby zim on Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:24 pm

Andy,

It is the large version. Does the number font scale down at 600 or remain the same?

Plan for the circles is to make them uniform colour growing the effective size by a few pixels and try again. May still need to bump them up a few more after that...

Cheers,

Zim
Lieutenant zim

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:29 pm

Mr. K with the Fight for Alexander's Empire had trouble resizing the map to make a small one. Most of the names and circles were too small to read. Depending on how you do it...you might not have that problem. But all the names must be easily read on the small, as the large...considering a vast number of people use the small map.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Molacole on Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:02 pm

I play on a small map and I'd switch just to play this map! It looks like it's going to be so much fun!!!
Lieutenant Molacole

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas