Monsters! - Battle for the Powerstones

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Monsters - v2.0.13 - 1/6/2009 - New Draft

Postby Natewolfman on Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:06 pm

man i like this map... lol, its so unique i cant help but love it :P the background monsters=awesome, gives it a much greater feeling, but I kinda feel like... I want an objective out of this, I mean its kinda random (which is fine) but I would like a backstory, why are these knomes being attacked by the monsters/or are the knomes attacking the mosters? When you had the jewel I could assume the goal was to steal the jewel from the monsters, but now It seems like it lacks purpose if that makes sense.
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Medals: 75
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (11) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (1)

Postby Natewolfman on Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:08 pm

Another quick graphical note: all the monsters seem to be focused on the center, but blue/yellow/white knomes are in the outside and nothing seems to be focused on them, it would give it alittle more life if some of the monsters around them seemed to be focused on them rather then looking at the center even though those ones are closer...

great map so far, keep it up!
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Medals: 75
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (11) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (1)

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:35 pm

v2.0.16: 01/08/2009

Based on suggestions I have cleaned up the map a little and put the wizards back towards the center. I also added some bones, spiders, & skulls as well as additional non playable monsters for mood. Now I need to focus on the starting positions, monster names, and how to attack the wizards (which monsters can attack them).

I am also kicking around the idea of adding power crystals that are one way attack into from certain monsters that give +1 or +2 armies. Or one larger gem or orb in the center of the map that is how you attack the wizards. Maybe if could be a gem with several facets that you have to conquer to get the while bonus but just occupying a location on it lets you attack the wizard shields.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3077/318 ... 1a88_o.png
Last edited by dolomite13 on Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet dolomite13
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (3)

Postby edbeard on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:44 pm

you don't think the gameplay is a bit too linear now?

it might be good. it might not. more opinions than just yours or mine are needed on that. I'm not sure either way but at least it makes things "fair"

the white monster doesn't follow the pattern you setup in the picture http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3425/317 ... 128417.jpg

orange monster has no glow

skulls n bones are good. maybe put a whole body somewhere.

if you do a sequel you should involve spiders at the theme.

maybe the middle monsters (of the 3 in between the colours) should have a diamond on them. they can attack shields and can be attacked by a big diamond in the middle. just an idea.
Major edbeard

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby edbeard on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:53 pm

another thing...

I still think these games are going to be very long and possibly stalemate. maybe drop the shields altogether. maybe put all the wizards in the middle and have a path of monsters that lead to them but have their coloured monsters on the outside which the wizards can attack

more opinions are needed on how we think these games are going to play out.

but again, the way you have it might work

maybe instead of updating this image update the picture which is basic and doesn't require graphical changes so we can discuss gameplay easily.
Major edbeard

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:37 pm

the oreange monster doesn't have any glow (the others do)
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Monsters - Connections & Bonuses

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:14 pm

I have been kicking around how to handle the connections to and from the wizards. I believe that having the connection from the wizard to the landing point monster be one way is a good idea. However figuring out how to get back to the wizard was bothering me. Then it hit me while playing a game of "New World", the landing point monster would be one way attack back towards the wizards shield and the shield would be one way attack to the wizard. The shield would be a 4 or 5 army auto reset each turn.

This still left me with the problem of possible stalemates. So I believe we need a large bonus objective that would make it hard to turtle up on your wizard. Here are some concept ideas for that. Please read the concepts below and feel free to comment.

Dolomite

====================================================================

Concept 1: Wizard Bonuses
- Wizards autodeploy 3 armies per turn.
- You get +2 bonus per wizard you control.

Concept 2: Monster Superiority
- If you control all landing point monsters you get +15 bonus armies per turn.

Concept 3: Power Stone
Back when this map was first envisioned I wanted to have some sort of crystal or orb the wizards were in the dungeon to get control of. Maybe there could be a large crystal in the middle of the map. It could be 5 or more individual territories and give bonuses.

- Bonus of +2 per crystal territory.
- Bonus of +10 for holding all crystal territories (+20 total for holding whole crystal).
- Crystal is an island of territories.
- The outer territories of the crystal can be attacked (one way) from any wizard.
- Crystal territories loose 1 army per turn attrition

Concept 4: Hybrid Concept
Some of all 3 of the above concepts would be adopted.

I put together a connection map for what the game currently has for connections.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3536/319 ... d3a0_o.png

Here is the connection map for the power crystal concept.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3400/319 ... 73db_o.png
Last edited by dolomite13 on Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet dolomite13
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Monsters - connection thoughts

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:44 pm

bump
Cadet dolomite13
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby sailorseal on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:32 pm

I like the idea but here are a few changes...
1. Make it clearer which monsters touch which
2. The wizards are to easy to hold
3. No real bonuses

I like the concept and the graphics but game play needs work.
Cook sailorseal

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (3)

Postby gimil on Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:32 pm

your orange ghost is missing a glow.

On another note I would like to see some variations on ghosts. Different shapes and sizes to add a little character to the map. What you have right now thou is crisp and clear though. :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:06 pm

id say that all of the wizards should be facing their monsters, becuase it doesn't make sense if their back ist turned to them
AndyDufresne wrote:
--Andy
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby mibi on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:18 pm

Someone along the line this map took a wrong turn down banal street.

As the version below will show, this map was once alive, colorful, cute, it just looked fun. The bonuses and movement were simple. An easy map to jump into and play with monster.

Now the color has been sucked out, the simplicity has been removed and it looks cluttered and cramped. The monsters are all the same size and color. They look like angry wads of toilet paper. This map started with some of the most promise I have seen in a while. Not it is really nothing spectacular.

The best version is this one.

Click image to enlarge.
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby edbeard on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:46 pm

I agree with mibi

gameplay wise though, it's going to be impossibly hard to figure out how to get these wizards to work. honestly none of the versions done so far lead me to believe they'll be anything but trouble from a stalemate sense.

Like I've said before, I'd rather the map be all monsters and you can have everything from the drop.

if you REALLY want the wizards, instead of just having 8, treat them a little better and put them into regiments ala the monsters. you can strategically prevent continents from the drop by having the "special" monsters and wizards (ones with horns) start neutral.
Major edbeard

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:47 pm

I am considering trying two map versions oit ... one would be the map with the majority of neutral monsters and the second would be a map with colored monsters like my original idea. I will update in a few days as I have to go out of town on business this weekend so I should have something before I leave.
Cadet dolomite13
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:50 pm

you still have not added glow to the orange monster
AndyDufresne wrote:
--Andy
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas