Conquer Club

Austerlitz Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: AUSTERLITZ v03 22mar2009

Postby ustus on Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:40 pm

pamoa wrote:
MrBenn wrote:Consider adding some colour to the legend (ie red/green/blue) to distinguish the different armies.

I'll try but I'm not a big fan of Christmas tree legend box...

tlane wrote:I dont know if anyone has said this, but could you make the text on the top at least one size bigger

if I make it bigger it would too long and would need to add more lines which is impossible
but if you consider this is the small map (there will be a bigger one) and this id only contextual informations that are not vital for gameplay
I think I can leave it as it is
but thanks for asking

If you're using Photoshop, you could rasterize (CS) or simplify (elements) the text layer so that you can scale it and only increase the size in directions where there's actually room. This may have the same effect as increasing the font size without requiring you to wrap to the next layer. You could also then make sure there is no extra space on the sides, though it will probably not have too much effect there. You do have some extra room to the left of the type to fill, so maybe you can pull off the difference this way.

On the other hand, there isn't much space to move it into, so this might not work. good luck.

I'll not comment further, as I know photoshop a lot better than cartography, and even for what little i do know, I don't play scenario maps. just my preference. Graphically, this looks nice. I like the way it looks like a battle plan.
Corporal ustus

Postby MrBenn on Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:30 pm

ustus wrote:If you're using Photoshop, you could rasterize (CS) or simplify (elements) the text layer so that you can scale it and only increase the size in directions where there's actually room. This may have the same effect as increasing the font size without requiring you to wrap to the next layer.

You should never rasterize your text layers, unless you're adding filters to them - even then I suggest creating a copy of them first.

You should be able to resize (transform) the text to fill the gap... You could also look to abridge the text and cut some of it out?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby pamoa on Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:42 am

TaCktiX wrote:... I would suggest that you rotate the entire map 90 degrees to the right... (clockwise)

very interesting solution, I like the way you changed the point of view (literally and metaphorically)
I have one problem with it it is about divisions symbols, now they are facing
but if I turn the map they will be one atop of each other and I will loose the graphic confrontation
I really remain uncertain about your proposition as I also like the way it solve some other problems...

RjBeals wrote:... I wonder if you could space out the players a bit more to make the attack routes a little clearer? You've got a lot of extra playing space on the map.

"Holding the 3 villages" took me a while to figure out. The villages are in silver? So they will start neutral? See all those other villages around the right of the screen? They have brown attack lines leading to and from them, so I thought those were going to be villages in play. Maybe make a pixel village icon to match the army icons so the villages stand out more...

I'll work on the attack route to make clear which are and which not

for the villages, I already tried to put some symbol but didn't any convincing, any suggestions
the other villages can not be in the game as they don't have any army count on it
and they are not starting neutral as they are part of the 32 starting positions
only leaders are starting neutral as you can see on the map

sailorseal wrote:All I would suggest is clarifying it up a little, increasing the size of the text and maybe adding more territories.

clarifying in what way ?!?
for the size of the context explanation text remember this is small map and i do not have more room for it
the number of territory issue as already been adressed

ustus wrote:...the text layer so that you can scale it and only increase the size in directions where there's actually room... On the other hand, there isn't much space to move it into, so this might not work...

see above
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby ustus on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:11 pm

ok, sorry for my bad advice then. I didn't know you could resize text with a transformation without rasterizing. And i would certainly have suggested copying first, that's kind of a given.
Corporal ustus

Postby tlane on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:36 pm

pamoa wrote:for the villages, I already tried to put some symbol but didn't any convincing, any suggestions

One idea would be to put a big 'V', like the 'N' you have on Napoleon. I don't know how this would look, but it is one idea i have.

tlane
sailorseal wrote:come on, now i am all sticky
Private tlane

Postby captainwalrus on Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:45 pm

I like the bonus labels, It makes it a lot more clear. I don't have any suggestion really, just showing support for the map. ;)
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Re: AUSTERLITZ v04 1apr2009

Postby pamoa on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:00 am

v04 new features: villages icons, clearer attack route, flank colour differentiation
This is the small map 600x630 pixels
Click image to enlarge.
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby captainwalrus on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:05 pm

I don't know that much about the battle but from what I have read the Pratzen Heights seemed to be an essential part to the final victory, so I think you should add holding Pratzen to the victory condition.

~ Mr. walrus
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby rjz115dude on Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:05 pm

good idea for a map, but it just seems too plain, one colored and boring...try adding more color and your own texture to make it your own map, Your original idea
Sergeant 1st Class rjz115dude

Postby gho on Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:13 am

I disagree about this map being boring, it is one of the best maps in production. What's the story with the light and dark red? you definately need some colour in the ledgend to make the map look less confusing.
Lieutenant gho

Postby grayhawke on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:26 pm

captainwalrus wrote:I don't know that much about the battle but from what I have read the Pratzen Heights seemed to be an essential part to the final victory, so I think you should add holding Pratzen to the victory condition.
~ Mr. walrus

I agree as the Pratzen Plateau was certainly crucial to victory. Also adding the village to the victory condition makes it 18 territs out of 35, a proportion that appeals to my sense of fairness. ;)

I also think the map does not need any more colours or textures. Its beauty is in its simplicity, a simplicity which pamoa wields so well and which is in itself a telltale sign of pamoa's maps.
Cadet grayhawke

Postby MrBenn on Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:05 pm

Welcome to the Foundry Proper!

Onward and upwards =D>
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby sailorseal on Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:09 pm

MrBenn wrote:Image
Welcome to the Foundry Proper!

Onward and upwards =D>

Congratulations and welcome!
Cook sailorseal

Re: AUSTERLITZ [D] v04 1apr2009

Postby pamoa on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:25 am

captainwalrus wrote:I don't know that much about the battle but from what I have read the Pratzen Heights seemed to be an essential part to the final victory, so I think you should add holding Pratzen to the victory condition.

grayhawke wrote:I agree as the Pratzen Plateau was certainly crucial to victory. Also adding the village to the victory condition makes it 18 territs out of 35, a proportion that appeals to my sense of fairness.

I agree, Pratzen will be in victory conditions in next version

rjz115dude wrote:good idea for a map, but it just seems too plain, one coloured and boring...try adding more colour and your own texture to make it your own map, Your original idea

gho wrote:I disagree about this map being boring, it is one of the best maps in production...

grayhawke wrote:I also think the map does not need any more colours or textures. Its beauty is in its simplicity, a simplicity which pamoa wields so well and which is in itself a tell-tale sign of pamoa's maps.

rjz115dude maybe you can first try to make some map yourself before saying such huge stupid thing like I want another map... btw did you see anyone who make a map like this one ?!? and thanks guys for the support

gho wrote:What's the story with the light and dark red? you definitely need some colour in the legend to make the map look less confusing.

grayhawke page 3 wrote:I still think north/south flanks are less confusing than allied/french-right/left flanks. I'm also not entirely convinced that the division-braces are the best visual device. Perhaps use 2 shades of blue, green and red to differentiate the centre from the flanks? or use a background colour to the text for names of the central territs?
I did try to differentiate flank with a different shade of colour as grayhawke suggested but I also didn't find them very convincing
and sorry but colour in the legend is not needed to understand the map if you can read blue green and red I'm sure you can understand they are colour on the map
besides I try to avoid funky legend they are unreadable but thanks for your concern
Cadet pamoa

Postby grayhawke on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:16 am

pamoa wrote:...
gho wrote:What's the story with the light and dark red? you definitely need some colour in the legend to make the map look less confusing.

grayhawke page 3 wrote:I still think north/south flanks are less confusing than allied/french-right/left flanks. I'm also not entirely convinced that the division-braces are the best visual device. Perhaps use 2 shades of blue, green and red to differentiate the centre from the flanks? or use a background colour to the text for names of the central territs?
I did try to differentiate flank with a different shade of colour as grayhawke suggested but I also didn't find them very convincing ...
Yes, my suggestion didn't really work. :(
Would it help if the text on the division-braces ran from top to bottom? I think it might then be more easily understood without the need for rotating the map itself.
Cadet grayhawke

Postby gho on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:20 pm

Maybe instead of colouring the whole map you could add little red, green and blue squares next to the text, or colour just the words 'blue', 'green', and 'red'.
Lieutenant gho

Re: AUSTERLITZ [D] v05 17apr2009

Postby pamoa on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:56 am

v04 new features: pratzen in victory conditions, colour dots in legend
This is the small map 600x630 pixels
Click image to enlarge.
Cadet pamoa

Postby iancanton on Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:56 pm

two spelling mistakes: in the legend, we have center, while the map uses centre; in the map, lichtenstein ought to be liechtenstein.

http://www.histwar.fr/recits-historique ... rlitz.html

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby pamoa on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:35 am

oops you're right :oops: corrected
Last edited by pamoa on Wed May 27, 2009 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet pamoa

Postby iancanton on Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:37 pm

that's better! this map is proving to be educational, in more ways than one!

the bonuses for the generals and villages are a bit small. increase them to +2 autodeploy for napoleon and +2 (or even +3) for alexandre & liechtenstein to provide an incentive to attack the neutrals.

holding the villages will be difficult. they can be attacked by so many divisions that the bonus needs to be at least +3, otherwise the village bonus will be ignored most of the time in games of more than 2 players, when it's normally better to keep ur troops together.

in fact, the cavalry attacks are causing every bonusto be too low just now (except the french right flank, which cannot be attacked by any distant cavalry), meaning that the best strategy in 1v1 is simply to attack the enemy and ignore the bonuses most of the time!

code both of the 3-region bonus zones (villages and french left flank) as start positions, so that players cannot start with these bonuses in 2-player and 3-player games.

Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby pamoa on Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:49 am

I recalculated the bonuses for villages with the oaktown standard sheet
STANDARD
+1 napoléon
+2 french left
+9 french centre
+3 french right

+2 alexander & liechtenstein
+3 allied right
+5 allied centre
+3 allied left

+3 villages

I agree with you bonus would be very hard to hold, is below what you suggested
REINFORCED
+2 napoléon
+3 french left
+13 french centre
+4 french right

+3 alexander & liechtenstein
+4 allied right
+6 allied centre
+4 allied left

+4 villages

iancanton wrote:code both of the 3-region bonus zones (villages and french left flank) as start positions, so that players cannot start with these bonuses in 2-player and 3-player games.

I'll do that

iancanton wrote:...this map is proving to be educational, in more ways than one!

I appreciate you like the complex but compact gameplay I'm proposing
Last edited by pamoa on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cadet pamoa

Postby sailorseal on Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:36 pm

I would like to see the legend color coded for ease of use. This map looks like it will become another complicated map, like Waterloo, that will be very popular. I would take the brightness down on the colors of each symbol just to stick with the overall feel of the map. I also see assault routes that go no where and they confuse me!
I like the map!
Cook sailorseal

Postby iancanton on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:19 pm

pamoa wrote:I agree with you bonus would be very hard to hold, is below what you suggested
REINFORCED
+2 napoléon
+3 french left
+13 french centre
+4 french right

i was happy with all of ur REINFORCED bonuses before u edited the french centre to +13! this is because the french centre bonus zone includes napoléon, so the total bonus for holding it is +13 normal with additional +2 autodeploy, which is a bit too much because this will surely result in victory, making a win by objective extremely unlikely. +9 or +10 normal with additional +2 autodeploy will still give a small chance to the other player.

except for this, the gameplay stamp is close. i know that the french centre is extremely difficult to defend, but i don't see a way of correcting this without moving several divisions out of position or changing the road layout; besides, the enemy forces in a battle are supposed to be mixed in next to each other (just like on our map), otherwise it wouldn't be a battle!

Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby pamoa on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:42 am

what about french centre at +9 better for graphical reasons :oops:
REINFORCED
+2 napoléon
+3 french left
+9 french centre
+4 french right

+3 alexander & liechtenstein
+4 allied right
+6 allied centre
+4 allied left

+4 villages

iancanton wrote:code both of the 3-region bonus zones (villages and french left flank) as start positions, so that players cannot start with these bonuses in 2-player and 3-player games.

here is my proposition, I coded 4 position in each "sector" I added D'HAutpoul and Von Essen to the two upper ones
Code: Select all
<positions>
   <position>
      <territory>Suchet</territory>
      <territory>Walther</territory>
      <territory>Margaron</territory>
      <territory>Engelhardt</territory>
      <territory>Kologrivov</territory>
      <territory>Prebyshevsky</territory>
   </position>

<position>
      <territory>Kellerman</territory>
      <territory>Nansouty</territory>
      <territory>Legrand</territory>
      <territory>Voropaitski</territory>
      <territory>Maliutin</territory>
      <territory>Langeron</territory>
   </position>

<position>
      <territory>Caffarelli</territory>
      <territory>Vandamme</territory>
      <territory>Bourcier</territory>
      <territory>Hohenloe</territory>
      <territory>Miloradovich</territory>
      <territory>Dokturov</territory>
   </position>

<position>
      <territory>D'Hautpoul</territory>
      <territory>Saint Hilaire</territory>
      <territory>Friant</territory>
      <territory>Von Essen</territory>
      <territory>Kolowrat</territory>
      <territory>Kienmayer</territory>
   </position>
</positions>
Cadet pamoa

Postby iancanton on Tue May 05, 2009 3:58 pm

u need only 3 sets of starting positions; to make sense, each set must include one village and one french left flank division.

Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas