Conquer Club

Austerlitz Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: AUSTERLITZ v01 10oct2008 "MEDIUM OR LARGE, VOTE NOW"

Postby yeti_c on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:49 am

I voted for 120 - not sure if that may be too many!! as I would need to see what it looked like... but I would defs prefer bigger over smaller on this one.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:42 am

If the choice is only between 30 and 120, I'll go for 120. But I'd really prefer something 50-70, if it were possible...
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Incandenza on Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:33 pm

I voted for 120. With a battle as epic as austerlitz, and with the complicated gameplay you look to be using, why mess around with a dinky map?
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby MrBenn on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:01 pm

I'm not sure if 120 is too many... I'd prefer something around the 60-80 mark...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby pamoa on Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:58 am

Well it seems that everybody who voted, except me, think it should be a VLM (very large map). If so, it would be a completely different map and I may need time to make a decent proposal for such a monster!
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby cairnswk on Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:32 am

MrBenn wrote:I'm not sure if 120 is too many... I'd prefer something around the 60-80 mark...

me too
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby MrBenn on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:16 am

pamoa wrote:Well it seems that everybody who voted, except me, think it should be a VLM (very large map). If so, it would be a completely different map and I may need time to make a decent proposal for such a monster!

Well your choices were for 30 or 120 territories.... Perhpas if you had a more comprehensive poll, you'd get a better reflection of opinion??
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: AUSTERLITZ v01 10oct2008

Postby TheShiningSun on Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:36 pm

pamoa wrote:Thanks for your point of view ZeakCytho, but as I told before I'm trying to stick to some "real" order of battle so my choice is between around 30 territories or 120. But 120 is a bit over the top, so I'll stay around 30.
I will follow MrBenn suggestion by adding the 3 villages where they were heavy fighting: Pratzen (centre) Skolnitz and Telnitz (south). So their will be 32 starting position + 2 neutrals.

At Austerlitz the order of battle wasn't constant as you had numerous divisions moving especially on the coalition side as they tried to overwhelm the right flank, and then of course you had Napoleon's charge down the center of the coalition which broke all the ranks, so perhaps if you chose a point in the middle of the battle for example as napoleon is beginning to make his famous charge you could increase the number of territories. Just a thought
Brigadier TheShiningSun

Re: AUSTERLITZ v01 10oct2008

Postby pamoa on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:00 am

TheShiningSun wrote:At Austerlitz the order of battle wasn't constant as you had numerous divisions moving especially on the coalition side as they tried to overwhelm the right flank, and then of course you had Napoleon's charge down the centre of the coalition which broke all the ranks, so perhaps if you chose a point in the middle of the battle for example as Napoleon is beginning to make his famous charge you could increase the number of territories. Just a thought

It will be only 10% to 20% less not the half of it.
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby pamoa on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:33 am

POLL RESULT

How many "territories" in this map ?

3 /16 - Should it stay at the "division" level like it is: about 30 territories
12/16 - Or go down at the "brigade" level: about 120 territories
1 /16 - If you think it should be something else, please make an argued proposition

! This map will be on stand by until I'm able to work on a 120 territories version !
Cadet pamoa

Re: AUSTERLITZ v01 10oct2008 "ON STAND BY"

Postby MrBenn on Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:37 pm

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the CAs will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)

Mr B
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: AUSTERLITZ v02 11mar2009

Postby pamoa on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:00 am

v02 new features: villages
This is the small map 600x630 pixels
Click image to enlarge.

After a long pause, I will try again with this map. I reflected a lot about the 120 brigades version, my conclusion is that I don't want to go for a large map like that and a 32 + 2 territories map is a medium reasonable size for CC. So if you guy think it is worth, I'll go on with this starting point and enjoy working on this map again, else I would put a definitive end to it.
Cadet pamoa

Postby captainwalrus on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:13 am

The bonuses are wierd. I don't really know where the center lefw wing and right wing is, especialy because the map is more vertical than horizantal. Also, it would be interesting to have some sort of victroy conditions which make Napolean and Alexndre more important. A battle centered around them would be fun. I think that it could be made slightly larger which would make it more interesing but not a full 120 terits. I like it a lot please conuinute it.
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby pamoa on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:19 pm

captainwalrus wrote:The bonuses are weird...

What do you mean?
Cadet pamoa

Postby captainwalrus on Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:52 pm

pamoa wrote:
captainwalrus wrote:The bonuses are weird...

What do you mean?

I don't know where the Center stops and the left/right wings begin.
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby grayhawke on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:47 pm

Might I re-suggest adding artillery? say 8 artillery territs (5 Allies, 3 French)? As well as increasing the territs they would also provide the possibility of mid-to-long-range bombardment, restricted by position (left, centre, right) maybe?

If 8 is thought too many then maybe 5? (split 3,2)
Cadet grayhawke

Postby pamoa on Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:31 am

captainwalrus wrote:The bonuses are weird. I don't really know where the centre left wing and right wing is, especially because the map is more vertical than horizontal. Also, it would be interesting to have some sort of victory conditions which make Napoleon and Alexander more important.A battle centred around them would be fun....

I added the two following points to the to do list
    - creating some victory conditions (some suggestions?)
    - making graphically the wings more obvious

grayhawke wrote:Might I re-suggest adding artillery? say 8 artillery territs (5 Allies, 3 French)? As well as increasing the territs they would also provide the possibility of mid-to-long-range bombardment, restricted by position (left, centre, right) maybe? If 8 is thought too many then maybe 5? (split 3,2)

No I don't want it to be as complex as Waterloo beside cavalry is already some long range effect with such a condensed map. You can jump very quickly from one end of the map to the other.
Cadet pamoa

Postby grayhawke on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:11 pm

I still feel a few more territs would not go amiss - another 4 would give 7-players 5 territs, and 6-players 6 territs.
I'd suggest another 3 villages (Augzed, Hostieradek, and Holubitz) plus the Austrian Commander, FML Prince Liechtenstein (no separate bonus but perhaps +1 for all 3 Commanders)

I also think it might be helpful if, rather than talking of left and right wings, the terms north flank and south flank were used.
Cadet grayhawke

Postby grayhawke on Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:48 pm

Victory conditions
  • French victory - hold Napoleon + French centre + Allied centre (16 territs)
  • Allied victory - hold Alexandre + Liechtenstein + Allied centre and south + French south + Pratzen (16 territs)
Cadet grayhawke

Postby Qwert on Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:35 pm

hmm,im look on Order of battle in Wikipedia,and i belive that you can create close to 50 territory.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby grayhawke on Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:16 pm

qwert wrote:hmm,im look on Order of battle in Wikipedia,and i belive that you can create close to 50 territory.

Keeping to Division level I don't see how we get much beyond 30 inf.+cav. territs. The leitmotif for this map appears to be "simplicity" and the current 29+2+3 territs supports that, though I think my suggestion for 29+3+6 territs also keeps the simplicitly while improving game play.

Speaking for myself I like this map and would like to see a series of such "simple" Napoleonic battle maps including one for Waterloo. :shock:
Cadet grayhawke

Postby Qwert on Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:28 pm

Keeping to Division level I don't see how we get much beyond 30 inf.+cav. territs. The leitmotif for this map appears to be "simplicity" and the current 29+2+3 territs supports that, though I think my suggestion for 29+3+6 territs also keeps the simplicitly while improving game play.

Speaking for myself I like this map and would like to see a series of such "simple" Napoleonic battle maps including one for Waterloo.

But he can explore some of divisions, and these is best solution for creating more territory.
--------------
LA GRANDE ARMEE
26.NAPOLEON
-Garde Imperiale Marshal Bessiere
1.Infantry Of the Guard
2.Cavalry of the Guard
3.Artilery of the Guard

-I Corps Marshal Bernadotte
4.Advanced Guard
5.1 st Division General Raffiniere
6.2nd Division General Drouet
7.Light Cavalry General Kellerman

-III Corps Marshal Davout
8.2nd Division General Friant
9.4th Dragoon Division General Bourcier
10.III Corps Artillery

-IV CORPS Marshal Soult
11.1st Dicvision General Saint-Hilarie
12.2nd Division General Vandamme
13.3rd Division General Legrand
14.Light Cavalry Division General Margaron
15.IV Corps Artillery

-V Corps Marshal Lannes
16.1st Division General Caffarelli
17.3rd Division General Suchet
18.Light Cavarly Division General Trelliard
19.V Corps Artillery

20.Grenadier Division General Oudinot

-Cavalry Reserve Marshal Murat
21.1sr Heavy Cavalry Division General Nansouti
22.2nd Heavy Cavalry Division General d'Hautpoul
23.2nd Dragoon Division General Walther
24.3rd Dragoon Division General Beaumont
25.Light Cavalry Brigade General Milhaud
--------------------------------
ARMY OF THIRD COALITION
1.Kutusov
2.von Liechtenstein

-The Russian Imperial Guard Grand Duke Constantine
3.Russian Infantry of the Guard
4.Russian Cavalry of the Guard

-Advanced Guard of the Tsar Army General Bagration
5.Russian Infantry
6.Russian Cavalry

-Advanced Guard of General Buxhowden
7.1st Infantry Brigade General Carnevile
8.1st Cavalry Brigade General Nostitz
9.2nd cavalry Brigade General Lichtenstein

-First Column General Dokhturov
10.1st Infantry Brigade General Lewis
11.2nd Infantry Brigade General Urusov

-Second Column General Langeron
12.1st Infantry Brigade General Olsuvev
13.2nd Infantry Brigade General Kamensky

-Third Column General Przebyszewski
14.1st Infantry Brigade General Muller
15.2nd Infantry Brigade General Selekhov

-Fourth Column General Miloradovich
16.Advanced Guard Colonel Monakhtin
17.1st Infantry Brigade General Wodniansky
18.2nd Infantry Brigade General Rottermund
19.3rd Infantry Brigade General Jurczik

-Fifth (Cavalry) Column General Prince Johann von Lienchensteine
20.1st Cavalry Brigade General Caramelli
21.2nd Cavalry Brigade General Weber
22.3rd Cavalry Brigade General Gladkov
23.4th Cavalry Brigade general Uvarov
----------------------------------------
Like you see i create 26 France and 23 Coalition Units(territory).OFcourse need more research(from your side)to create 3-4 artillery units from Coalition side.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby pamoa on Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:25 am

Qwert if you want another map make another map! :evil:

grayhawke I'll look at your proposal no time right now but seems interesting
Cadet pamoa

Postby Qwert on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:43 am

by pamoa » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:25 am

Qwert if you want another map make another map!

grayhawke I'll look at your proposal no time right now but seems interesting

Mine apology, i read some conversation abouth adding more territory(and these is possible),
but if you got something against mine simple sugestion, then i will remove from these topic permanently.
Sorry for all problems what im create.
If you want i can erase these previous post with proposed territory,to people dont be confused with these idea.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby pamoa on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:50 am

cairnswk wrote:Do not end the project, otherwise i will have to do it....hahahaha!! :)
Please go on and do a medium size version + 32 armies....i think 60-70 should be a good number
This is an important historical map and should be in the cc collection. Good luck.

qwert wrote:hmm, I look on Order of battle in Wikipedia,and I believe that you can create close to 50 territory.

qwert wrote:Mine apology, I read some conversation about adding more territory(and these is possible), but if you got something against mine simple suggestion, then I will remove from these topic permanently. Sorry for all problems what I create. If you want I can erase these previous post with proposed territory,to people don't be confused with these idea.

Qwert, sorry for going mad about this but I left this project like 6 month because of the size discussion. I decided to start it again being convinced about my first intuition about size. I like the condensed effect of the map, I don't want it being a big apocalyptic mess. So I do not want to move from this size around 30 territs. But if you have some comments about any other topic you are warmly welcome.

ben79 wrote:continue la ta map .. j'aime bien le concept et tu devrais dire dans ta mini-histoire que le move que Napoleon a fait à cette bataille était du jamais vu en cette époque et lui a valu l'admiration de tous !!! ben

Of course I can tell a lot about the battle but it's not an history lesson only a game. If anyone think I should tell more about the tactics employed by Napoleon I will add some more text.

grayhawke wrote:I still feel a few more territs would not go amiss - another 4 would give 7-players 5 territs, and 6-players 6 territs.
I'd suggest another 3 villages (Augzed, Hostieradek, and Holubitz) plus the Austrian Commander, FML Prince Liechtenstein (no separate bonus but perhaps +1 for all 3 Commanders)

After good reflection 32 is an optimal number
    2 players = 16 territorries (+5 bonus armies) 2 conquest needed to loose or gain a bonus army
    3 players = 10 territories (+3 bonus armies) 2 conquest needed to gain a bonus army
      33 would be 11 each and so 1 conquest to gain a bonus army
    4 players = 8 territories
    5 players = 6 territories
    6 players = 5 territories
    7 & 8 players = 4 territories

33 territories is already a problem with 3 players,
and 36 would be a problem with 2 and 3 players as they would be at the +4/+6 bonus limit and the starting player can immediately break those bonus.
Beside the 3 villages you wanted to add where not major points of the battle.

Adding Liechtenstein, why not as he would start neutral but I'm missing a bit space at the centre and wasn't he all the battle with Alexander commanding staff?

grayhawke wrote:I also think it might be helpful if, rather than talking of left and right wings, the terms north flank and south flank were used.

Sure I'll change it and it will be easier to find on the map.

grayhawke wrote:Victory conditions
  • French victory - hold Napoleon + French centre + Allied centre (16 territs)
  • Allied victory - hold Alexandre + Liechtenstein + Allied centre and south + French south + Pratzen (16 territs)

What about a more simple: Hold the central battlefield for victory (Pratzen, French and Allied centre and the 3 commanders)
Cadet pamoa

Next

Return to The Atlas