Poison Rome [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [POLL] POISON ROME V8

Postby cairnswk on Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:55 pm

cairnswk wrote:
cairnswk wrote:...
FOR DISUSSION....there is a possible further link to Julius Caesar from outside attack....if we bring Cleopatra into the picture.....that would create a link through marriage between Mark Antony <-> Cleopatra <-> Julius Caesar and don't forget there was a son to Cleopatra and Julis Caesar -> Caesarion.
Would this be feasible?

Is this a good idea?

This is how this might look...i can't think of any other way of showing it to connect Mark antony and Cleopatra and Julius Caesar
I have ghosted it red blood because the marriage of Caesar and Cleopatra was partially to blame to for his downfall, and was not in the roman tradition I believe.
I does create the connection however.

Image
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: [POLL] POISON ROME V6 (P3) - For continuity?

Postby cairnswk on Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:58 pm

yeti_c wrote:....
PS - forgot to mention - one of you bombardment figs is the wrong colour.
PPS - "wife" is spelt "wifw" in the legend.
C.

Fixed.
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: [POLL] POISON ROME V8 (P5) - For continuity?

Postby cairnswk on Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:47 pm

Mmmm. the poll is not looking good for continuing this map.
Some people just don't like a challenge or perhaps can't think outside the box. :shock:
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: [POLL] POISON ROME V8 (P5) - For continuity?

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:49 pm

I feel really :| about this map right now. I think it has a lot of potential, but I find the current layout very opaque and hard to grasp, much like Forbidden City. I know this isn't a very useful suggestion, since I don't know how to make it better, but :|
User avatar
Captain ZeakCytho
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:36 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: [POLL] POISON ROME V8 (P5) - For continuity?

Postby cairnswk on Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:58 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:I feel really :| about this map right now. I think it has a lot of potential, but I find the current layout very opaque and hard to grasp, much like Forbidden City. I know this isn't a very useful suggestion, since I don't know how to make it better, but :|

Gees Zeak....surely you can follow some lines and make some family associations
what don't you understand?
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: [POLL] POISON ROME V8 (P5) - For continuity?

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:02 pm

cairnswk wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:I feel really :| about this map right now. I think it has a lot of potential, but I find the current layout very opaque and hard to grasp, much like Forbidden City. I know this isn't a very useful suggestion, since I don't know how to make it better, but :|

Gees Zeak....surely you can follow some lines and make some family associations
what don't you understand?


I feel like if I were actually playing a game on this map, I would be overwhelmed by the number of bonus combinations.
User avatar
Captain ZeakCytho
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:36 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: [POLL] POISON ROME V8 (P5) - For continuity?

Postby cairnswk on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:13 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:I feel really :| about this map right now. I think it has a lot of potential, but I find the current layout very opaque and hard to grasp, much like Forbidden City. I know this isn't a very useful suggestion, since I don't know how to make it better, but :|

Gees Zeak....surely you can follow some lines and make some family associations
what don't you understand?


I feel like if I were actually playing a game on this map, I would be overwhelmed by the number of bonus combinations.


Ah...so this is outside the box for you. while it may seems difficult, it really is no more than lots of small continents with a couple of big ones thrown in for good measure.
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: [POLL] POISON ROME V8 (P5) - Continuity? (Votes changable)

Postby Incandenza on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:30 am

In all fairness, cairns, there's a fine line between complex and confusing, and in places this map seems to drift over the line. The name thing is going to be a big issue, with so many repetitions and so many similar-sounding names. I ask again, have you considered just fictionalizing the people that no one's ever heard of?

I think the Cleopatra/adoption line thing is a good idea, otherwise Emperor Caesar is one big honkin' choke point.

For how powerful of a terit it is, Julia Livilla is awfully hard to get to. Maybe the Gods could show disfavor to her and Livia by being able to smite them with thunderbolts (i.e. bombard)?
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
User avatar
Colonel Incandenza
 
Posts: 4961
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:34 pm
Location: Playing Eschaton with a bucket of old tennis balls
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (4)

Re: [POLL] POISON ROME V8 (P5) - Continuity? (Votes changable)

Postby yeti_c on Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:14 am

"Agrippina - Germanicus" & "Drusus - Antonia" have 2 pixels seperating the connections - I think this looks better/less confusing than the 1 pixel versions you have for "Gaius Julius Ceaser - Marica (ex regii)" & "Marcus V Agrippa - Julia The Elder"

Can you standardise these?

Incandenza wrote:I think the Cleopatra/adoption line thing is a good idea, otherwise Emperor Caesar is one big honkin' choke point.

For how powerful of a terit it is, Julia Livilla is awfully hard to get to. Maybe the Gods could show disfavor to her and Livia by being able to smite them with thunderbolts (i.e. bombard)?


Definitely agree with these points.

Not sure about the fictionalisation - but agree that as it stands - we need to make much greater differentiation.

This maps connections are far easier to read than "Forbidden City".

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9670
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: [POLL] POISON ROME V8 (P5) - Continuity? (Votes changable)

Postby cairnswk on Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:26 am

Incandenza wrote:In all fairness, cairns, there's a fine line between complex and confusing, and in places this map seems to drift over the line. The name thing is going to be a big issue, with so many repetitions and so many similar-sounding names. I ask again, have you considered just fictionalizing the people that no one's ever heard of?

I think the Cleopatra/adoption line thing is a good idea, otherwise Emperor Caesar is one big honkin' choke point.

For how powerful of a terit it is, Julia Livilla is awfully hard to get to. Maybe the Gods could show disfavor to her and Livia by being able to smite them with thunderbolts (i.e. bombard)?


1. In all fairness incandenza, i had never heard of Kamchatka until I played Risk in 1974.
That was a learning curve for me...grantedly geographic, but still i had to familiarise myself with it.
This is no different as to names, and yes there a learning curve to nearly all my maps which people don't like.
I will not denegrate the names of the families of this history for the sake of people who don't want to learn or are too lazy to make some differentation, which i am doin g solmething about sorting out.

2. in the mini-series I Claudius, Livia Drusilla was made a God by Claudius.
I will research that further, it seems that Livia is more powerful.
Maybe we just need to change the "kills" to bombards.

3. Cleopatra also i like that connection, although after watching the Series ROME, i think there might be other possibilities.
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: [POLL] POISON ROME V8 (P5) - Continuity? (Votes changable)

Postby Incandenza on Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:47 am

Okay, I'm willing to table the conversation about the names until you've had a chance to sort them out.

But for the record, your use of Kamchatka as analogy is sorely flawed. Classic depicts the world, your map depicts some important people and some tremendously unimportant people who've been dead for two thousand years (and it's only the repetitive unimportant people that I really have concerns about). Also, it's not like there's five terits called "Kamchatka" where I have to puzzle out which is which in the dropdown. Form follows function. Just sayin'.

Also for the record, I'd also never heard of kamchatka until I played Risk as a wee lad. Even better, some years ago I got a chance to go there. Unbelievably bitchin' place. :D

Oh, and this doesn't strike me as a map where lots of people are going to swing by and post cogent analyses, but don't let that dissuade you.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
User avatar
Colonel Incandenza
 
Posts: 4961
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:34 pm
Location: Playing Eschaton with a bucket of old tennis balls
Medals: 44
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (4)

Re: [POLL] POISON ROME V8 (P5) - Continuity? (Votes changable)

Postby yeti_c on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:05 am

Incandenza wrote:Oh, and this doesn't strike me as a map where lots of people are going to swing by and post cogent analyses, but don't let that dissuade you.


Yep - might just be us 3 in for the long haul!

C.

PS - Cairns - did you see my post after Inc's?
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9670
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: [POLL] POISON ROME V8 (P5) - Continuity? (Votes changable)

Postby cairnswk on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:44 am

yeti_c wrote:Yep - might just be us 3 in for the long haul!
C.
PS - Cairns - did you see my post after Inc's?


C...yes i did...i'll answer it shortly....i've been very much under the weather this last week...summer has started here...35 degrees C with 75% humidity, no thunder storms that cool the place down yet, but rather thick heavy clouds that float overhead keeping all the heat in....it's sheer murder and certainly not conducive to mapping :( Alas.

Incandenza wrote:Oh, and this doesn't strike me as a map where lots of people are going to swing by and post cogent analyses, but don't let that dissuade you.

incandenza..i'm sorry if i came over a lilttle assertive in my latest answer, but i think the names are very important to history, and yes we can maybe adapt them to their real or other names as some might be known as, but if we go fictionalising it too much it will loose all it's flavour.

Incandenza wrote:Okay, I'm willing to table the conversation about the names until you've had a chance to sort them out.

Thank you.

But for the record, your use of Kamchatka as analogy is sorely flawed. Classic depicts the world, your map depicts some important people and some tremendously unimportant people who've been dead for two thousand years (and it's only the repetitive unimportant people that I really have concerns about). Also, it's not like there's five terits called "Kamchatka" where I have to puzzle out which is which in the dropdown. Form follows function. Just sayin'.

Also for the record, I'd also never heard of kamchatka until I played Risk as a wee lad. Even better, some years ago I got a chance to go there. Unbelievably bitchin' place. :D

Oh, and this doesn't strike me as a map where lots of people are going to swing by and post cogent analyses, but don't let that dissuade you.


Yes i know, but Kamchatcha worked for me..i was writing that bit.
Please let me see what i can work with the names to retain the history.

yeti_c wrote:"Agrippina - Germanicus" & "Drusus - Antonia" have 2 pixels seperating the connections - I think this looks better/less confusing than the 1 pixel versions you have for "Gaius Julius Ceaser - Marica (ex regii)" & "Marcus V Agrippa - Julia The Elder"

Can you standardise these?

Yes, i want to open this map up a bit more so connections are not sitting atop each other.

Yeti_C wrote:
Incandenza wrote:I think the Cleopatra/adoption line thing is a good idea, otherwise Emperor Caesar is one big honkin' choke point.

For how powerful of a terit it is, Julia Livilla is awfully hard to get to. Maybe the Gods could show disfavor to her and Livia by being able to smite them with thunderbolts (i.e. bombard)?


Definitely agree with these points.

Not sure about the fictionalisation - but agree that as it stands - we need to make much greater differentiation.

This maps connections are far easier to read than "Forbidden City".

C.


I agree on this, but then this is not Chinese in style and some of that artwork is incredibly complicated in design to achieve the flavour.
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: [POLL] POISON ROME V8 (P5) - Continuity? (Votes changable)

Postby yeti_c on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:17 am

Why is Julius Ceaser a "Dictator" and not an "Emperor"?

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9670
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: [POLL] POISON ROME V8 (P5) - Continuity? (Votes changable)

Postby InkL0sed on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:45 am

yeti_c wrote:Why is Julius Ceaser a "Dictator" and not an "Emperor"?

C.


Because he was a Dictator, not an Emperor.
User avatar
Lieutenant InkL0sed
 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:06 pm
Location: underwater
Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Login