Conquer Club

Africa Map [Done]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby AK_iceman on Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:48 am

really? because when i click the link in your first post im seeing a different setup. And Togo seems to be missing from that map the im seeing. Could it be an update that messed up?
Sergeant 1st Class AK_iceman

Postby philbert on Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:51 am

could be. When I click that link I don't see any Burkina Faso.
Colonel philbert

Postby wbar on Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:01 am

post a screenshot
Siggy Loading, Please wait...
Cook wbar

Postby philbert on Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:26 am

I would if I knew how...lol
Colonel philbert

Postby Scorba on Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:30 am

The large & small versions of this map have the countries with different names for some reason, which would appear to be the cause of the confusion.
Taking an enemy on the battlefield is like a hawk taking a bird. Though it enters into the midst of a thousand of them, it pays no attention to any bird other than the one it has first marked.
Lieutenant Scorba

Postby philbert on Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:34 am

thanks Scorba, the large version does have Burkina Faso on my map.
Colonel philbert

Postby Scorba on Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:08 am

Another difference between the large and the small map. Central Republic appears to border West Zaire on the small map, but you cannot attack. This map needs to be sorted out.
Taking an enemy on the battlefield is like a hawk taking a bird. Though it enters into the midst of a thousand of them, it pays no attention to any bird other than the one it has first marked.
Lieutenant Scorba

Postby niMic on Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:13 am

I've got another bug, maybe. I can't fortify from Angola to Botswana
General niMic

Postby wicked on Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:07 am

oh oops, was I playing around in the Africa map too much? I was just looking for a Toga party, really... Hopefully Andy the Man can fix it. :D
Major wicked

Postby Ronaldinho on Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:35 am

yeah i got it aswell it say then benin is that weird country......its crap :cry:
Sergeant Ronaldinho

Postby Telvannia on Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:35 am

i had no togo on my map big or small
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Another Africa bug

Postby Stopper on Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:19 pm

In game 41033, I couldn't attack from Mauritania to Algeria, even though they sure as hell seem to border each other.

I'm praying now that Mauritania can't be attacked from Algeria, or I've had it.

I'd provide a link to the game, or a screenshot of the map, but not having that level of computer literacy, I, er, can't...
Lieutenant Stopper

Postby lilwdlnddude on Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:11 pm

Sorry guys i have just come back from a trip and will start working on the bugs right now so that your games run better. Sorry for all the confusion, I just changed the map and xml code right before I left.
Captain lilwdlnddude

Re: Africa bug

Postby lilwdlnddude on Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:17 pm

philbert wrote:http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=39084#gmtop

1. SMITH197 attacked Nigeria from Benin and conquered it from joetalk-these territories don't border each other.

2. SMITH197: wow...you cant attack mauritania to algeria? Thats not very clear...-should have been able to

3. I have Burkina Faso as a card-does not exist

1.The previous "togo" is now non existant on this map. It is now Benin. The previous "Benin" is now "Burkina Faso". Benin now borders Nigeria.

2. I am changing things on Algeria and Mautitania as I am typing.

3. uhh, 1 explanes this.

Jota wrote:Have these map images been recently updated? It looks like those mountains might have been revised. It's possible that the old version had the Mauritania/Algeria border blocked off, and that the new map changed that (intentionally or not) without changing the XML.

Yes I messed the map up. lol. The map has been recently updated.
Captain lilwdlnddude

Postby spearfish on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:33 am

Error in map:

Unfair starting positions for 2player sequential

Each player starts with 15 territories. Whoever gets first receives five territories on their first turn, and if they conquer just one terri from an opponent (with 8v3, that's not hard to do); the opponent only gets 4 the first turn.

Not major, but something noteworthy IMO.
Mess with the best, die like the rest...
Cook spearfish

Postby Hotdoggie on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:01 am

spearfish wrote:Error in map:

Each player starts with 15 territories. Whoever gets first receives five territories on their first turn, and if they conquer just one terri from an opponent (with 8v3, that's not hard to do); the opponent only gets 4 the first turn.

this is the case with loadsa maps - whatever you do there is some form of player setup where some1 gets unlucky on some maps...no way is every map gonna be edited to fix 1 army lost.......
PERSONAL BEST...
Score: 2802
Place: 120
Date: 16 / 2 / 2009
Lieutenant Hotdoggie

Re:

Postby ZeekLTK on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:13 pm

Hotdoggie wrote:
spearfish wrote:Error in map:

this is the case with loadsa maps - whatever you do there is some form of player setup where some1 gets unlucky on some maps...no way is every map gonna be edited to fix 1 army lost.......

It is kinda a big deal. I played 1v1 on this map for the first time the other day and the game was over after my opponent took his first turn because, besides getting extra armies to start with, he also got to fortify his position making it harder for me to take any of his territories back.

Was completely impossible to win simply because he got to go first.

If you started with only 14 territories (4 armies) it wouldn't be that big of a deal because then your opponent has to take 3 of your territories to cause you to lose an army, as opposed to only needing to take 1.
Lieutenant ZeekLTK

Re: Africa Map [Done]

Postby Grifter on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:39 pm

This map needs some cosmetic fixes.
  • The border between Zambia and East Zaire is has a think blue line for about 90% of it. This would imply that a player can't move between these territories when in fact it is allowed since 10% of the border is open. Remove or shorten the blue line as it is misleading.
  • Same issue between Zimbabwe and Mozambique
  • Same issue between East and West Sudan
  • Same issue between Nigeria and Chad
Lieutenant Grifter

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:32 pm

I have an idea that you might want to try, Make the water a light sand color. The lion and giraffe just do not seem at home floating in the water. Anyway it might look good.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby NightWolf on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:28 pm

I just wanted to point out guys that this map might be outdated in 5 months. Sudan is going to have a final vote on splitting into North and South Sudan. In that case - your West Sudan on this map won't be geographically correct anymore! :mrgreen:
Sergeant 1st Class NightWolf

Africa: Too many bonus troops for West Coast?

Postby rogower on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:52 pm

Simple suggestion. I actually commented on it in our game that is currently being played. Here are my comments:

2011-02-20 10:42:54 - rogower: You know, it seems that the purple region (West Coast) should get four bonus troops, not five. It for sure should not get the same number of bonus troops as the yellow region (The Maghreb).

2011-02-20 10:43:43 - rogower: Maghreb has five territories that are exposed to territories in other regions that all need to be solidified. West Coast only has three. West Coast only has one more territory than Maghreb, too.

2011-02-20 10:45:02 - rogower: Also, Congo is so impossible to defend that I tend to think that its bonus should be even higher, at least eight and maybe even nine. Hell, at nine bonus troops, it would probably still be more trouble than it's worth!

2011-02-20 10:45:07 - rogower: Just my two cents!

I love the Africa map itself but perhaps its designer might agree that this is its one flaw? And might agree to change it? I tend to think that Africa would be a much more popular game if this one flaw were addressed.
Sergeant 1st Class rogower

Re: Africa: Too many bonus troops for West Coast?

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:21 pm

You certainly have some valid points, but unfortunately that is one of CC's first maps, so the mapmakers probably aren't around anymore, and lackattack doesn't generally like people messing with the OG maps.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Mr_Adams on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:18 pm

I don't think it was originally even CC's map. I've seen it on another website before :/
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby blakebowling on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:21 pm

I don't think anything will be changed, unless someone is willing to revamp the entire map. However I will send this to the Map Foundry for you, as they would have the most information.
Private blakebowling

Postby MrBenn on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:07 pm

Mr_Adams wrote:I don't think it was originally even CC's map. I've seen it on another website before :/

Wrong :-$

blakebowling wrote:I don't think anything will be changed, unless someone is willing to revamp the entire map. However I will send this to the Map Foundry for you, as they would have the most information.

Right 8-[

[Merged] with the original map thread discussion topic O:)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas