British Isles [Done]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

British Isles [Done]

Postby Nobunaga on Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:29 am

For what it's worth:

Image (alt+p)[/img]
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (1)

Postby johnnyrotten on Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:42 am

Seems pretty good to me, although I count 29 territories in all, which would leave neutral territories.
Sergeant johnnyrotten

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:13 am

Only 29 countries??? :? You will need more countries... 42 at a minimum (I think).

And the bonus arent correct:
Scotland: 6 countries, 3 in border - bonus 3
Anglia: 6 countries, 4 in border - bonus 7 :shock:

The idea is good... Put more countries, I think it will be good.
Major Marvaddin

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (3)

Postby Nobunaga on Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:18 am

.... 42?! That's a lot. The Islands have only so many regions.... This map could be for quicky type games.

... I'll check the atlas maps and see what I come up with. Thanks for the input!

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (1)

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:33 am

Hmmm, maybe its a map for 3-4 players games, huh? Ok, in this case, 32 countries at least (36 is also a good number...)

See, those countries in Ireland / Scotland are big and can be splitted... In the other hand, you cant put both name and number in a territory as small as London (make it a little bigger). You should also think about number of continents: if the map is for a lower number of players, maybe 5 continents are fine. No need for a gigantic continent as Asia here. Put 2 minor continents, one medium, and two major, that will be our Europe and North America. No reason for bonuses greater than 5, too.

Only to mention: I loved that shield in upper right corner.
Major Marvaddin

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (3)

Postby johnnyrotten on Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:35 am

Also, you could include the Isle of Wight on the south coast...
Sergeant johnnyrotten

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby kingwaffles on Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:46 am

Pretty sweet map! I think it woould be fun to be able to play it with just 2 or 3 people.
Corporal 1st Class kingwaffles

Postby GOD on Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:03 am

definitly a good map, i agree that more territories should be added, but this is much better than some of the random crap that comes through here.
Sergeant GOD

Postby max is gr8 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:21 am

Nobunaga wrote:.... 42?! That's a lot. The Islands have only so many regions.... This map could be for quicky type games.

... I'll check the atlas maps and see what I come up with. Thanks for the input!

HERE'S an idea use the counties as countries and sections like NORTH WEST, SOUTH, MIDLANDS then it would be better
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (11)

Postby Pedronicus on Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:52 pm

add the isle of Anglesea to wales.

call anglia - south east or home counties
Major Pedronicus

Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby HighBorn on Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:56 pm

i agree needs more countrys but it would be a VERY good map for 3 people
Private HighBorn

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby Nobunaga on Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:38 pm

... So much helpful input, I'm grateful. I was sure my little map was going to get trashed to oblivion here. Glad I was wrong!

... I'm going to work on adding countries, changing names (Anglia, etc..), etc... today at work, while I pretend to be busy with official business! Haha.

... I'll post it again for your input when I've done some work on it. And thanks again!

Map Contribution (1)

Postby Nobunaga on Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:41 pm

... also, IS there a general formula for determining "continent" bonuses? I pretty much just made them with gut feeling, intending to work that out later.

... Any help in that regard would also be much appreciated.

Map Contribution (1)

Postby supermarcol on Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:57 pm

Hmm, I don't think there is a general formula. You have to go with your guts. But in general you have to keep in mind the number of countries in the continent, the number of entry points, the number of different continent accessible and the linearity of the continent. Best way to go is to look at the classic map. Try to figure out which of your continent is closest to which of those and try to match. Then you tweak a little. Doesnt garantee something good, specially if you decide to go for a different kind of balance in your map (classic: 2 small 1 medium, 2 large, 1 humongous). Thats why its important to discuss the maps a lot before they go online.
-SuperMarcol
Sergeant 1st Class supermarcol

Medals: 1
Map Contribution (1)

Postby Nobunaga on Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:01 pm

... Thanks for that. We'll hammer the bonuses out after I somehow squeeze 42 "countries" into this map. The names of these places in the British Isles are extraordinarily long in many cases. I'm bypassing those and using the names of other, less lengthy region names, which are located in the general proximity. And no doubt players who hail from the Islands will have much to say about its inaccuracy in this regard.

... But that's for later discussions.

Map Contribution (1)

Next

Return to The Atlas