TRAFALGAR [12.4.2012] QUENCHED (V65)

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: BATTLE OF TRAFALGAR - V13(P6) - Gameplay/XML Preview

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:53 pm

The Neon Peon wrote:
cairnswk wrote:Are there too many lines for instance?

I like this map a lot for its gameplay, so to me it is all good already.

I think you should limit the amount of 2 way border and bombard. I highly doubt that the bombard feature will be used a lot in that instance. How will this work with clickable maps?


Who's talking about clickable maps?
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: BATTLE OF TRAFALGAR - V13 XML Preview

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:54 pm

Version 13 with armies

Image

Click image to enlarge.
image
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: BATTLE OF TRAFALGAR - V13(P6) - Gameplay/XML Preview

Postby Telvannia on Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:59 am

If you are going to do this 'build your own bonus' bonus scheme it might be worth getting rid of the weather/lee for the French and the Spanish...
Also on the bonus front, it could be worth changing it so instead of gaining 1 army for the commanders instead they double the fleet bonuses above for their own fleet only. I think it would give the commanders a more tactically significant position on the map.
You also seem to have a lot of bombard and attack routes doubling up, which if i remember rightly from feudal wars does not work, an example of this is Victory and Bucentaure where they can both bombard and attack each other.
To slightly show the tactic of Nelson at Trafalgar a bit more you could cut down on the attack routes between French and Spanish ships where the British have cut the line, because the basic tactic of Nelson was to create a bottle necks in the French and Spanish line so if you removed the attack lines between: Neptune - Heros and between: Pluton - Themis for example
Slight nitpicking realism (so only do if it is a simple job which i fear it will not be, but i will put it out there) constant wind direction, the sails on the ships are not pointing largely in the direction. (Once again i wish to point out this is NOT important)
Back to HMS Africa, i always thought this ship was not part of the weather line, having been separated from the fleet it attacked in a completely different way, but i think giving it its own bonus might just cause confusion so it might not be worth the confusion just for a slight addition to realism




I would like to add that i love this map, and even without the above suggestions i think it could easily become my favourite map :D Keep going on this and it will end up an amazing map =D>
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia
 
Posts: 1331
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:19 am
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1)

Re: BATTLE OF TRAFALGAR - V13(P6) - Gameplay/XML Preview

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:29 am

Telvannia wrote:....
I would like to add that i love this map, and even without the above suggestions i think it could easily become my favourite map :D Keep going on this and it will end up an amazing map =D>

Thanks Telvannia....i answer your suggestions shortly. :)
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: BATTLE OF TRAFALGAR - V13(P6) - Gameplay/XML Preview

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:36 pm

Telvannia wrote:If you are going to do this 'build your own bonus' bonus scheme it might be worth getting rid of the weather/lee for the French and the Spanish...
Also on the bonus front, it could be worth changing it so instead of gaining 1 army for the commanders instead they double the fleet bonuses above for their own fleet only. I think it would give the commanders a more tactically significant position on the map.
You also seem to have a lot of bombard and attack routes doubling up, which if i remember rightly from feudal wars does not work, an example of this is Victory and Bucentaure where they can both bombard and attack each other.
To slightly show the tactic of Nelson at Trafalgar a bit more you could cut down on the attack routes between French and Spanish ships where the British have cut the line, because the basic tactic of Nelson was to create a bottle necks in the French and Spanish line so if you removed the attack lines between: Neptune - Heros and between: Pluton - Themis for example
Slight nitpicking realism (so only do if it is a simple job which i fear it will not be, but i will put it out there) constant wind direction, the sails on the ships are not pointing largely in the direction. (Once again i wish to point out this is NOT important)
Back to HMS Africa, i always thought this ship was not part of the weather line, having been separated from the fleet it attacked in a completely different way, but i think giving it its own bonus might just cause confusion so it might not be worth the confusion just for a slight addition to realism
...

Telvannia....i'm going to have to re-arrange these deck chairs.
There are vessels in places that don't belong, and i 've just discovered that the Spanish flagship was not Santassima Trinidad but Principe de Asturias...so please bare with me....sorry.
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: BATTLE OF TRAFALGAR - V14

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:31 am

Version 14.

OK...i think this version was absolutely necessary to get more than half of the actions correct in this gameplay, therefore i had to re-arrange the ships completely and their gameplay links.
I discovered a site that gave me a list of the British ships, and moved these into gameplay position according to which vessel they broadsided or raked.
There is also a movement of the Spanish Commander to the Principe de Asturias at the bottom of the map, which for me is pleasing because previously i had three commanders at the top of the map.
The other thing is that the top half of the map is left much as it was before with proper continents. This could work in players favour as it might be easier to take the top fo the map before moving to the bottom where the majority of the bombardment occurs.

Here are the results:

Image

Click image to enlarge.
image
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: BATTLE OF TRAFALGAR - V14(P7) - Gameplay alteration

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:18 am

V14 above changes to 61 terts....how is this number affected for a good start?
Refer below.
Last edited by cairnswk on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: BATTLE OF TRAFALGAR - V14(P7) - Gameplay alteration

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:19 am

Thanks to Gimil...here is the drop for 61 terts.

No. of Territories 61 - 3 neutral starters

A. Number of players
B. Number of territories each player starts with
C. Number of neutral territories start
A. B. C.
2 19 23
3 19 4
4 14 5
5 11 6
6 9 7
7 8 5
8 7 5
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: BATTLE OF TRAFALGAR - V14(P7) - Gameplay alteration

Postby Telvannia on Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:49 pm

Very nice update, i think it is defiantly better now. I still think the weather/lee line bonus is not necessary with the French and Spanish fleet. Also while on the bonuses i think that the commanders could play a bit of a bigger part in the tactics with them doubling the respective nations bonus.
By the way i think you have Neptune and Africa the wrong way round.


I will come back with more comments but i think that will do for now still think it is an amazing map, you have made me get on with something i have wanted to do for awhile, making a 3D model of Victory.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia
 
Posts: 1331
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:19 am
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1)

Re: BATTLE OF TRAFALGAR - V14(P7) - Gameplay alteration

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Telvannia wrote:Very nice update, i think it is defiantly better now.

Thanks Telvannia. :)

I still think the weather/lee line bonus is not necessary with the French and Spanish fleet.

But with out them, there would only be four continental type bonuses.

Also while on the bonuses i think that the commanders could play a bit of a bigger part in the tactics with them doubling the respective nations bonus.

I think i understand this....but would it not be too much and make the continents lop-sided....tow in the north and one in the south and the one on the south might be much hard to obtain.

By the way i think you have Neptune and Africa the wrong way round.

Well, according to some maps this is so, but the Neptune ended up beside Santissima Trinidad and i was going to put the Neptune in there for cannon purposes, but well... what do you think.

I will come back with more comments but i think that will do for now still think it is an amazing map, you have made me get on with something i have wanted to do for awhile, making a 3D model of Victory.

Very nice. hope you keep at it. :)
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: BATTLE OF TRAFALGAR - V14(P7) - Gameplay alteration

Postby mibi on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:03 am

what. the. f*ck. is. this.
User avatar
Captain mibi
 
Posts: 3360
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: The Great State of Vermont
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Re: BATTLE OF TRAFALGAR - V14(P7) - Gameplay alteration

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:41 am

mibi wrote:what. the. f*ck. is. this.

Mmmmm. i see you're in fine form again. A more advanced version of PH or even Spaghetti Junction with a touch of Tapas.

Honestly mibi, i must ask that if you don't have anything decent to contribute but only want to be rude, then please stay out of this thread, in fact all my threads, you would not be welcome.
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: BATTLE OF TRAFALGAR - V14(P7) - Gameplay alteration

Postby mibi on Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:23 am

cairnswk wrote:
mibi wrote:what. the. f*ck. is. this.

Mmmmm. i see you're in fine form again. A more advanced version of PH or even Spaghetti Junction with a touch of Tapas.

Honestly mibi, i must ask that if you don't have anything decent to contribute but only want to be rude, then please stay out of this thread, in fact all my threads, you would not be welcome.



My apologies. That was my initial reaction upon seeing this map. I suspect its a similar reaction of others who look at the map and choose not to comment. I will give you further and in dept critique at a later point. Cheerio.
User avatar
Captain mibi
 
Posts: 3360
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: The Great State of Vermont
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Re: BATTLE OF TRAFALGAR - V14(P7) - Gameplay alteration

Postby The Neon Peon on Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:35 am

I like how you've mixed the ships around, now the bonuses are harder to get and hold, but...

Spanish connects to British in one location. And does not comment to French.

British Connects to French in 4 locations. 2 of them being at the top of the map near the Commanders. Seeing as the commanders start neutral, and you would have to go through 10 to connect, the only way to get from British to French is in the bottom of the map.

Fix these two, and we can get back to the discussion depending on where you choose to connect them.

Otherwise, the only Spanish-British connection has an orange line, not a yellow one.

The commanders should be a different type of ship, not an enlarged regular one. This makes them easier to identify, where right now you might not notice at a quick glance.
User avatar
Lieutenant The Neon Peon
 
Posts: 2342
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:49 pm
Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3)

Re: BATTLE OF TRAFALGAR - V14(P7) - Gameplay alteration

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:14 am

mibi wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
mibi wrote:what. the. f*ck. is. this.

Mmmmm. i see you're in fine form again. A more advanced version of PH or even Spaghetti Junction with a touch of Tapas.

Honestly mibi, i must ask that if you don't have anything decent to contribute but only want to be rude, then please stay out of this thread, in fact all my threads, you would not be welcome.



My apologies. That was my initial reaction upon seeing this map. I suspect its a similar reaction of others who look at the map and choose not to comment. I will give you further and in dept critique at a later point. Cheerio.


My apologies also mibi, but when i see a comment like your initial one with no clarification of what you thoughts are, i am thinking that this is the type of comment tht is not helpful and encouraging. Sorry but that's the way i see things.
I do hope you return with some valuable and positive comments.
User avatar
Corporal cairnswk
 
Posts: 11490
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Login