Conquer Club

Atlantis - v43 - BETA - P32[D,Gp,Gr,FF,XML,BETA]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Advanced Draft] Atlantis v6.5 with XML!! (p.1,3-7)

Postby Chao on Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:39 pm

Well, I personally don't think it matters whether the TOP bonus is added. I agree with Tacktix when I say I don't think anyone will use it. However, putting it in does not harm, so go ahead. ^_^

The arrowheads look good; it's just the lack of uniformity that bothers me. You can see how the pixels stick out. I've never used photoshop b4, so I can't help you with this. Sorry. :(

The center thing looks a bit funny. I think the Temple Isle makes the numbers/letters a bit hard to see.
Colonel Chao

Postby Premier2k on Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:50 am

TaCktiX wrote:I still disagree with the decision to have big bonuses as the initial starters and closing off the easier bonuses behind neutrals. Far and away, people just don't attack neutrals. So you're looking at half the map never being touched by most players, and people beating up on each other hoping that by some miracle of drop and dice they get a +5 continent, which in No Cards would be almost instant inevitable victory.

I'm not saying "make them all +2 and +3." I'm saying that all +4, +5, and +6 will boil down to who drops where, and not that much fun. I'd say de-neutralizing the inner islands (keeping the entire T.O.P. area neutral), and splitting 2 of the outer continents into two different lands (not by physically separating them with water, just changing colors and names) would help with this.

Hmmm...Perhaps we could split a couple of the outer continents up into 2 and lowering the bonuses. I'll chat with Nemesischild about his. I'm concerned that de-neutralizing the inner islands will give those who drop some territs on the inner islands a slight advantage, perhaps it won't? What do you think? If you think the advantage would be slight or negligable then I'm more than happy to open it up. That would then mean that both inner and out islands would be shared between all starting players. What about starting the docks, ports and temple isles as neutral and everything else as shared?

TaCktiX wrote:As for the arrows, a dotted or solid line has worked rather well in the past. I've seen very few well-done arrows connecting sea routes.

What do you think Nemesischild?

TaCktiX wrote:Hope that Drafts stamp comes soon

So do we TaCktiX, but that's upto MrBenn, I'm sure we'll get our stamps and moved to the main foundry when he thinks we're ready.

Chao wrote:Well, I personally don't think it matters whether the TOP bonus is added. I agree with Tacktix when I say I don't think anyone will use it. However, putting it in does not harm, so go ahead. ^_^

The center thing looks a bit funny. I think the Temple Isle makes the numbers/letters a bit hard to see.

Yes, Looking at it again I can see that reading the territ numbers in the temple isles is quite hard to see, anything you can do with this Nem?

I'd like to try and guide discussion away from major graphic changes for now and more into gameplay.
Major discussion points need to be the starting positions and what should be kept neutral. I'm thinking everything is shared out at the beginning except for ports, docks,centre temple isles and T.O.P.

As always thanks for the comments guys! and keep 'em coming!

Premier2k
Cadet Premier2k

Postby NemesisChild on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:42 pm

Premier2k wrote:Hmmm...Perhaps we could split a couple of the outer continents up into 2 and lowering the bonuses. I'll chat with Nemesischild about his. I'm concerned that de-neutralizing the inner islands will give those who drop some territs on the inner islands a slight advantage, perhaps it won't? What do you think? If you think the advantage would be slight or negligable then I'm more than happy to open it up. That would then mean that both inner and out islands would be shared between all starting players. What about starting the docks, ports and temple isles as neutral and everything else as shared?

I can look at splitting out some continents! but there is IMO alot of continents already

Chao wrote:

Premier2k wrote: Yes, Looking at it again I can see that reading the territ numbers in the temple isles is quite hard to see, anything you can do with this Nem?

I agree and am looking into this for v7 either gonna change number colors or reverty back to Plian island (but I really think the island needs something !)

Premier2k wrote:I'd like to try and guide discussion away from major graphic changes for now and more into gameplay.

Major discussion points need to be the starting positions and what should be kept neutral.

I still need comments on graphics, I am still new to this!

Premier2k wrote:I'm thinking everything is shared out at the beginning except for ports, docks,centre temple isles and T.O.P.

sounds plausible! I think dropping the bonuses for the outers and increasing the bonsuses for the inners is also an idea.

As always thanks for the comments guys! and keep 'em coming!

Nem
Blackadder: Awh, God, God, God. What on earth was I drinking last night? My head feels like there's a Frenchman living in it. Where am I?

Click here to discover the lost islands of Atlantis...
Cook NemesisChild

Postby Premier2k on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:16 pm

NemesisChild wrote:I can look at splitting out some continents! but there is IMO alot of continents already

Yeah, maybe 1 or 2 wont hurt though :D

NemesisChild wrote:I agree and am looking into this for v7 either gonna change number colors or reverty back to Plian island (but I really think the island needs something !)

See what you can come up with!

NemesisChild wrote:I still need comments on graphics, I am still new to this!

Yes, of course. I just don't think we need any major graphic changes

NemesisChild wrote:sounds plausible! I think dropping the bonuses for the outers and increasing the bonsuses for the inners is also an idea.

Increasing the inner bonuses is something I hadn't thought about. Not a bad idea. Comments anyone?
Cadet Premier2k

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:18 pm

1. Your army circles on the small version look really bad - like they've been distorted out of shape?
2. The sea routes would look much better as a dotted or dashed line - the arrow-thing does nothing for me at all.
3. The bonuses seem over-inflated. Have you run the figures through a bonus-checker spreadsheet at all?
4. I'm still not a fan of the numbered territories. Adding names would give so much more life to the map.
5. When you next update, put your propsed neutral values onto the map, so that we can begin to comment on them.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Premier2k on Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:24 pm

MrBenn wrote:1. Your army circles on the small version look really bad - like they've been distorted out of shape?
2. The sea routes would look much better as a dotted or dashed line - the arrow-thing does nothing for me at all.
3. The bonuses seem over-inflated. Have you run the figures through a bonus-checker spreadsheet at all?
4. I'm still not a fan of the numbered territories. Adding names would give so much more life to the map.
5. When you next update, put your propsed neutral values onto the map, so that we can begin to comment on them.

1. Now you mention it, yes they do look a little distorted. We'll have a look into that. Well spotted!
2. This we are working on. It should be included in Version 7.
3. We got the original values from a bonus calc, I'll have another look at them. I think we could knock them down slightly
4. I would like territory names, but I think it would make the map look rather cluttered.
5. Will do!

Premier2k
Cadet Premier2k

Postby Premier2k on Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:49 am

Hi all,

OK. Graphics...

Version 7 should be up in a couple of days.

Version 7 probable differences
Cool new attack route included!
Temple Isles terrain adjustments
Lightened docks

Anything else anyone wants included in Version 7 before Nemesischild finishes it up?

OK. Gameplay...

After talking it over with Nemesischild, we have decided to make almost everything start as droppable. We are going to drop the the separate bonus for T.O.P and drop the autodeploy.
T.O.P will now be part of the temple isles (not a separate bonus).

The only territs that will start as neutral will be the explorers, dropping these on the start would give a slight advantage.
We are thinking that the neutral will start off as 5.

What do you all think? Better? Worse? Different neutral starting value?

Premier2k

EDIT: MrBenn could you delete our poll, as we cannot add a new one. Old options keep cropping up when creating a new one.
Cadet Premier2k

Re: [Advanced Draft] Atlantis v6.9 with XML!! (p.1,3-7)

Postby Premier2k on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:01 pm

Here is the large version of 6.9! Version 7 is on its way!

Changes made
    Changed Attack route graphics
    Added armies
    New and Brightened docks
    New Temple Isles texture
Please let us know what you think!

Here is the large version of 6.9! Version 7 is on its way!
Click image to enlarge.
Cadet Premier2k

Re: [Advanced Draft] Atlantis v6.9 with XML!! (p.1,3-8)

Postby NemesisChild on Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:17 pm

Due to a sudden increase in workload i am going to have to stop working on this map for a little bit.
Unfortunately I am about to start rather a lot of travelling (for work)so have no time to update the graphics for the time being...
Prem too is going to be really busy at work ( I am his boss and need to delegate some tasks to him)

We will hopefully be able to review our ability to update again in about 2 weeks

Nem.
Blackadder: Awh, God, God, God. What on earth was I drinking last night? My head feels like there's a Frenchman living in it. Where am I?

Cook NemesisChild

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:21 pm

your oranges have a "p" in front of them
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby Premier2k on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:28 am

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:your oranges have a "p" in front of them

Oops, well spotted Led.

As Nem pointed out, we are very very busy with work currently. I have a project shortly going out the door so it's pretty mad here! Give it two weeks and we'll be back!!
Keep the comments coming in though guys!

Premier2k
Cadet Premier2k

Re: [Advanced Draft] Atlantis v7.0 & XML!! P8 LATEST

Postby Premier2k on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:58 pm

Hi all,

We are back and have a version 7!!

Changes made
    1. new borders
    2. Removed autodeploy
    3. updated scroll
    4. moved territ numbers to prevent overlapping on small map
    5. Bonuses in minimap
    6. New small army circles

Version 7.0 large with armies
Click image to enlarge.

Version 7.0 small with armies

Comments and suggestions please!

Premier2k
Last edited by Premier2k on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet Premier2k

Postby God Emperor Q on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:03 pm

center island shoul lose 1 army per turn or reset to nuetral at the end of turn
Lieutenant God Emperor Q

Postby Premier2k on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:11 pm

God Emperor Q wrote:center island shoul lose 1 army per turn or reset to nuetral at the end of turn

Can you explain why God Emperor?

Premier2k
Cadet Premier2k

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:34 pm

you still have p's in front of the oranges
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby Premier2k on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:36 pm

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:you still have p's in front of the oranges

Yes, it doesn't matter Led. It's just a graphical representation of how it will look. It won't actually have p's in front when it's played live.

Premier2k
Cadet Premier2k

Postby captainwalrus on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:37 pm

Something made me think that this was an objective map, is it?
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby Premier2k on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:38 pm

captainwalrus wrote:Something made me think that this was an objective map, is it?

No, we had discussed making the Temple of Poseidon an objective but we decided against it.

Premier2k
Cadet Premier2k

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:51 pm

Welcome to the Foundry Proper... Onwards and Upwards!

PS. Please put the [square brackets] after the map name in the thread title ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Atlantis v7.0 & XML!! P8 LATEST [D]

Postby Premier2k on Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:11 am

Thanks Mr Benn!

Looking for comments on minor graphics changes and gameplay related discussion.

Thanks for your continued support everyone!

Regards,

Premier2k and Nemesischild
Cadet Premier2k

Postby gimil on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:40 am

Hi team,

Just a few small concerns I have just now.

The legends scroll looks nice but I believe it would look much better in a scroll like colour. The current blue is just to unnatural for my liking :)

Click image to enlarge.

My big concern is that the textures you have used on both land and sea are far to strong and can be bulky in places. They don't really help your map fall into place the way it could. I would advice that you try some new textures are experiment a little, see what you can discover.

Good work so far guys, and welcome to the foundry.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby NemesisChild on Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:25 am

gimil wrote:Hi team,
Just a few small concerns I have just now.

The legends scroll looks nice but I believe it would look much better in a scroll like colour. The current blue is just to unnatural for my liking :)

I can have a look at this, the blue does look a little unnatural I guess, I think there is a colour there (thats not blue) but with the opacity turned down

gimil wrote:My big concern is that the textures you have used on both land and sea are far to strong and can be bulky in places. They don't really help your map fall into place the way it could. I would advice that you try some new textures are experiment a little, see what you can discover.

The texture on the land is something we have played with a lot and always looks worse when I change it, I am still learning to use PS and am always interested in new ways to do this, if you have have any suggestions pls let me know

I quite like the sea effect <and it took me ages and multiple variations to do it>, it is the best one I tried and had some positive feed back on :{ , would you be awfully upset if I thought we should keep it?
gimil wrote:
Good work so far guys, and welcome to the foundry.

[/quote]
Thanks
Nemesischild

Cook NemesisChild

Re: Atlantis v8.0 & XML!! P8 LATEST [D]

Postby Premier2k on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:00 pm

Version 8 is now available!!!

Changes Made
1. added natural scroll colour
2.completely redrew Ys and Added Ruins instead of terrain
3. cut edge of scroll and added a burn effect to remove it from under the Island.

Large Version
Click image to enlarge.

Small Version

Comments as always please everyone!

Premier2k
Cadet Premier2k

Re: Atlantis v8.0 Update p9 [D]

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:10 pm

=D> I love the scroll. I'll take a long look at this later — very nice! Your orange "o33" are still "p33" by the by.

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Re: Atlantis v8.0 Update p9 [D]

Postby Premier2k on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:21 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:=D> I love the scroll. I'll take a long look at this later — very nice! Your orange "o33" are still "p33" by the by.

Yes, I love the new scroll. Great work by Nem on that! And many thanks to Gimil for suggesting a new scroll look.

Yes, the orange armies are still showing as p, this is only visual representation. It won't be like this in game. We'll change it when we have some spare time. At the moment we just want to concentrate on getting the map and gameplay right.

To re-emphasise the gameplay plan.

GamePlay

All territories except for the explorers(boats) will be divided up amongst players at the start of the game.

The Outer docks can attack the inner island docks as shown by the attack routes and vice versa.
The inner island ports(represented by an anchor) can attack explorers(boats)
The outer temple island ports can attack the explorers and the temples (via the bridges)
The explorers can attack ports and bombard other explorers(boats)
The temples can attack the outer temple island (via bridges)

There is no bonus objective.

Premier2k
Cadet Premier2k

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas