Conquer Club

Atlantis - v43 - BETA - P32[D,Gp,Gr,FF,XML,BETA]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Atlantis v4.0 COMPLETE!

Postby Premier2k on Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:23 pm

OK! We now have a Version 4.0!

This is now the complete map!

Large Version 4.0
Click image to enlarge.

Small Version

Changes made in Version 4.0
    Added the MiniMap
    Added the bonus information
    Added Territory numbers
    Changed position of the docks
    Moved some of the borders around

We have addressed and fixed all comments raised.
We have improved the locations of the docks so now they are all opposite each other (as opposite as we can be anyway). We have increased the numbers of territories as requested as well. We have made both the smaller and large version of the map available for people to see.

Comments please!

Premier2k
Cadet Premier2k

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:50 pm

this looks great, i really enjoy it, but i think the "opposite docks" attack route isn't quite clear.

you could say... docks connect inner and outer rings on the same line of sight
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby NemesisChild on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:47 am

Cheers whites.
the docks thing is something we are looking at still,
at the moment it is defintely the weak point of the map
we are going to look at ways of solving it.
might try your wording as well as having a look at creating some visible links

Nemesis
Blackadder: Awh, God, God, God. What on earth was I drinking last night? My head feels like there's a Frenchman living in it. Where am I?

Click here to discover the lost islands of Atlantis...
Cook NemesisChild

Postby bryguy on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:57 am

i like it :)

dont have much time to comment, except for a few thinks -

1) in the legend, you put 'Explorer boats can bombard other botas', is that on purpose or did u just accidentally misspell boats?

2) later on in the legend you misspell 'attack', you spell it 'atack'
Corporal bryguy

Postby Androidz on Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:00 am

Just one pikky comment from me.

When i hear atlantis im thinking on a city hidden in deep sea. When i see your map i see verry lightblue sea which means its verry high lifted.

So pliss make the sea darker, maybe a sort of bubble around it but that might a bit hard to make..

And if its suppose to be above water in any case its to light to look like water.
Private Androidz

Postby Premier2k on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:55 pm

bryguy wrote:i like it :)

dont have much time to comment, except for a few thinks -

1) in the legend, you put 'Explorer boats can bombard other botas', is that on purpose or did u just accidentally misspell boats?

2) later on in the legend you misspell 'attack', you spell it 'atack'

Hi bryguy,

Yes the spelling mistakes are mistakes. We will correct these for the next version. We had spotted the botas error but not the atack error. So well spotted! :D

Androidz wrote:Just one pikky comment from me.

When i hear atlantis im thinking on a city hidden in deep sea. When i see your map i see verry lightblue sea which means its verry high lifted.

So pliss make the sea darker, maybe a sort of bubble around it but that might a bit hard to make..

And if its suppose to be above water in any case its to light to look like water.

Thank you for your comments.
We will look at adjusting the colour of the blue and making it look more 'sea' like for the next version. We may darken it slightly and add lighter points nearer the islands to indicate shallower water.
Cadet Premier2k

Postby MrBenn on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:32 pm

Androidz wrote:When i hear atlantis im thinking on a city hidden in deep sea.

Hmmm.... for once, I have to agree with Androidz... I know you've based the map on what Atlantis may have looked like, but the connotations of the name are 'Underwater'... check out this google search :-k
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Androidz on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:33 pm

MrBenn wrote:
Androidz wrote:When i hear atlantis im thinking on a city hidden in deep sea.

Hmmm.... for once, I have to agree with Androidz... I know you've based the map on what Atlantis may have looked like, but the connotations of the name are 'Underwater'... check out this google search :-k

For once? :evil:
Private Androidz

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:43 pm

IIRC, Atlantis was a city/chain of islands that was buried beneath the waves by the Gods because its people did something wrong. This, I take it, is a map before it was sunk, as written about by Plato.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby MrBenn on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:53 pm

In which case, the boats (especially the speed boat) really seem out of place...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Premier2k on Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:10 am

Hi all,

Updates

An update to the map with new version of 'sea'
Fixed spelling mistakes!
Changed Attack to Assault :lol:
Changed text as advised by whites

Next version we are looking at replacing the boats with something else, suggestions welcome!
Possibly divers? mermaids? :lol:
Ancient Greek style boats/wrecks

Large Version 4.2
Click image to enlarge.

Small Version 4.2

Comments please.

Premier2k
Last edited by Premier2k on Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet Premier2k

Postby Androidz on Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:47 am

i like it but can you try adding a thin black continent line outside the continents?
Private Androidz

Postby Premier2k on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:10 pm

Androidz wrote:i like it but can you try adding a thin black continent line outside the continents?

Not entirely sure what you mean, do you mean around all the continents or around each one individually?

P.
Cadet Premier2k

Postby Androidz on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:15 pm

Premier2k wrote:
Androidz wrote:i like it but can you try adding a thin black continent line outside the continents?

Not entirely sure what you mean, do you mean around all the continents or around each one individually?

P.

just each continent individually. Just to test it out i feel something is odd without it:P
Private Androidz

Postby NemesisChild on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:32 pm

Not sure it needs the lines around the continents, each one is quite seperate (being an island an all,lol :? )
do they need defining any more than having sea between them?

N.
Blackadder: Awh, God, God, God. What on earth was I drinking last night? My head feels like there's a Frenchman living in it. Where am I?

Cook NemesisChild

Re: Atlantis v3.0 REVAMP

Postby MrBenn on Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:14 pm

MrBenn wrote:For future reference, please could you add an updated image to the end of the thread, as well as the first post, as it helps people to follow the development, and will help people to tie comments to particular versions.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby NemesisChild on Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:25 pm

Mr Benn

The latest update is included in the last message that references an image update??
I'm confused?

Cook NemesisChild

Postby Premier2k on Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:30 am

The latest image.

Large Version 4.2
Click image to enlarge.

Small Version 4.2
Cadet Premier2k

Postby bryguy on Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:11 am

Graphix:

1) I like the water texture, but it seems a bit overdone.... enough that it hurts my eyes if i stare at the picture for more than 5 minutes :( maybe tone it down a bit if thats possible?

2) The island reefs dont really seem like reefs, more like polluted water.....

3) The large image looks stretched for some reason, idk why...

4) The text in the large version legend is blurry

5) I dont really care for the white borders, the seem out of place. Also, they are very rugged and pixely, maybe try smoothing them out, and setting the opacity to 70%? that way they would be a sort of lighter color than the continent they are on (maybe not do this for the grey continent....)

6) The drop shadow on the borders seems out of place

7) So does the speed boat....

8) For the bevel on the islands (or is it emboss? idk i was never good at telling the difference) the white highlight part where the sun is hitting the islands is out of place. Maybe make the highlight color a brighter-more-whitish-color of the island its on? that might fit in better

9) The islands need a texture of some sort, right now its all smooth

10) The scroll is a little blurry in the large version

11) Just wondering, but why is there a blue outer glow to each island?

12) I cant read the name of the brown-almost-orange-island-right-under-lyonesse-and-kamuri-kandam

13) I dont care for the compass in the lower right corner, or for how it shows every direction. Why not enlarge it slightly and remove the names for all directions but N, S, E, and W?

14) Upon close observation, the very outside of the picture has a little grey line, as if the ocean layer just stops there. Maybe shrink the canvas size so that the line is no longer there?

Gameplay:

1) (could be considered graphix, idk) The circles seem out of place on this map, except on the boats. Maybe get rid of them except where needed?

2) Thule has 9 territories, but only 8 named

3) Can 1, 2, 3, and 4 (inner grey circle) all attack each other? since they all share the very center of it its hard to tell

4) There are alot of.. oh shoot cant remember the word... bottle-necks? i think thats what it is... on the map, especially on earlier-mentioned-brown-almost-orange-continent-that-i-cant-read-the-name-of

5) Some of the bonuses seem a bit off for what they should be. Idk why, but they do

6) Is there anything that can be taken to win the game? kinda like in AoR: Magic? (just wondering)

7) Just wondering, but that exactly is the reason for the boats????

8) Why would anyone bother to take Lyonesse 2 when they can skip over it to 3 or 1?

9) Can lyonesse 2 attack lyonesse 4? its hard to tell

10) 'Docks connet inner and outer rings on the same line of sight' - that makes now sense. How about inner and outer islands???[/i}

11) 'Ports can assault explorer boats' 'Explorer boats can assault ports' - When you say assault, do you mean like [i]attack
assault or bombard assault?

12) Theres a name for every island EXCPEPT the grey one. That might make the number thing tricky their....

hehe, got alot of commenting out of me :D

edit: could you put what page number the newest updates are in the title? it makes it easier (like Atlantis V4.0 Pg 1 and 3)
Corporal bryguy

Postby MrBenn on Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:26 pm

NemesisChild wrote:Mr Benn

The latest update is included in the last message that references an image update??
I'm confused?

I didn't think the images were there - it looks like they've been edited in ;-)
Imageshack images always seem to take ages to load on my PC?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Premier2k on Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:18 pm

To bryguy,
OK, I've had a look through the list, there are a few things I'm going to chat over with my team-mate asnd a few things I disagree with. But we'll chat over them and will post an update when we have.

bryguy wrote:hehe, got alot of commenting out of me :D

Always happy to get comments bryguy! Keep em' coming. we may not agree with everything but we'll do our best to please!

bryguy wrote:edit: could you put what page number the newest updates are in the title? it makes it easier (like Atlantis V4.0 Pg 1 and 3)

Added the page numbers.

Keep the comments coming guys and gals! Especially any comments relating to bryguy's epic post ;) and whether you agree or disagree with ideas. It helps us get an overall feel for what the community wants as a whole.

Premier2k
Cadet Premier2k

Re: Atlantis v4.2 Updates Pages 1 and 3

Postby Premier2k on Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:55 am

Hi bryguy,

In response to your questions;

Graphics

1) I like the water texture, but it seems a bit overdone.... enough that it hurts my eyes if I stare at the picture for more than 5 minutes :( maybe tone it down a bit if thats possible?

We have tried toning it down a little but then it doesn't look very good. We'll have a think about what we can do to improve it, but for the time being we're going to have to keep it.

2) The island reefs dont really seem like reefs, more like polluted water.....

I know what you mean (some parts look like an oil slick), but I quite like that look. It looks diffent to every sea texture.

3) The large image looks stretched for some reason, idk why...

Don't know why, the map was designed in large size and shrunk down. I suspect it's because we have posted both large and small so it's easier to notice.

4) The text in the large version legend is blurry

Agreed, this is going to be redone and the text will be sharpened

5) I don't really care for the white borders, the seem out of place. Also, they are very rugged and pixely, maybe try smoothing them out, and setting the opacity to 70%? that way they would be a sort of lighter color than the continent thay are on (maybe not do this for the grey continent....)

We will have a look at this and see what we can come up with for the next version.

6) The drop shadows on the borders seem out of place.

As no. 5

7) So does the speed boat....

The boats are being redone. Initally they were just to show where they would be.

8) For the bevel on the islands the white highlight part where the sun is hitting the islands is out of place. Maybe make the highlight color a brighter-more-whitish-color of the island its on? that might fit better

Good idea, we will try this along with changes for no. 5

9) The islands need a texture of some sort, right now its all smooth

We did have a texture on it, with varying degrees but the majority of people didn't like it so we removed it. Perhaps we'll have a nother play. It won't be on the next version though.

10) The scroll is a little blurry in the large version

This is being redone as mentioned in no. 4

11) Just wondering, but why is there a blue outer glow to each island?

I have just noticed that but I kinda like it! :D

12) I cant read the name of the brown-almost-orange-island-right-under-lyonesse-and-kamuri-kandam

This has been discussed by us, we are investigating other ways of showing the island name

13) I dont care for the compass in the lower right corner, or for how it shows every direction. Why not enlarge it slightly and remove the names for all directions but N, S, E, and W?

We can do that! May be in next version. We have a lot to do for the next version.

14) Upon close observation, the very outside of the picture has a little grey line, as if the ocean layout just stops there. Maybe shrink the canvas size so that the line is no longer there?

Not sure what that is, we will try shrinking the canvas slightly to see if that makes a difference. (I doubt it will though TBH)

GamePlay

1) The circles seem out of place on this map, except on the boats. maybe get rid of them except where needed?

Not quite sure what you mean, all the territories with circles on will have armies. I can post you a version with no circles on if you like for demo purposes.

2) Thule has 9 territories, but only 8 named?

Oops, that will be fixed in next version. Well spotted!

3) Can 1, 2, 3, and 4 (inner grey circle) all attack each other? since they all share the very center of it its hard to tell

Yes, all inner temples can attack each other. Perhaps we could make this a bit clearer.

4) There are alot of.. oh shoot cant remember the owrd... bottle-necks? i think thats what it is... on the map, especially on earlier-mentioned-brown-almost-orange-continent-that-i-cant-read-the-name-of

Decreasing the amount of bottlenecks would increase the bonus numbers which are high enough as it is

5) Some of the bonuses seem a bit off for what they should be. Idk why, but they do

The bonuses were worked out using Oaktown's bonus calc. I will look again at these just in case.

6) Is there anything that can be taken to win the game? kinda like in AoR Magic? (just wondering)

We had discussed having an objective but decided against it, this is a straight fight.

7) Just wondering, but that exactly is the reason for the boats????

The boats provide a link to the inner islands, only a few boats can get to the inner islands. They can also bombard other boats. They remain the key to winning the map.

8) Why would anyone bother to take Lyonesse 2 when they can skip over it to 3 or 1?

For the same reason in other maps, if the want the bonus they have to take it. There are plenty of maps where you can skip across from one territory to another, this is just another way to get to your destination.

9) Can Lyonesse 2 attack lyonesse 4? its hard to tell

Yes, it can. We shall endeavour to make this link clearer for the next version.

10) 'Docks connet inner and outer rings on the same line of sight' - that makes now sense. How about inner and outer islands???

Good idea, we shall change this when we update the scroll - how about 'Docks connect the inner and outer islands on the same line of sight'

11) 'Ports can assault explorer boats' 'Explorer boats can assault ports' - When you say assault, do you mean like attack assault or bombard assault?

Attack assault. Boats can bombard assault other boats. We didn't want to use the word attack as 'attack' is now 'assault' in CC

12) Theres a name for every island EXCEPT the grey one. That might make the number thing tricky for their....

They are the temple isles. We have no where to put the name. All suggestions on that would be welcome!

Version 5 todo list

Hopefully appearing in version 5;

Redo the legend so it looks less blurry
    Revamp borders
    Put correct boats in the map
    Change the highlight color for the islands
    Fix Numinor name, so it's easier to read
    Show the lyonesse 2 -> lyonesse 4 link better
    Add the missing Thule territ

Please note as it's christmas, updates may be slow to the map. Full work shall resume after christmas from the 5th Jan onwards.

Keep those suggestions and comments coming in!

Premier2k
Cadet Premier2k

Postby john9blue on Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:56 pm

Nice map, it reminds me of Conquer Man with all of the bottlenecks (they aren't necessarily a bad thing).

If the center islands are "Temple Islands", then you should put a temple graphic there. Maybe, to clarify, you could have the objective be to capture the center island, and it could start off with neutrals. Unless you really don't want to do that.

Also, if all the boats and docks are assaulting each other, you could just say "attack" instead of "assault". ;)
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Premier2k on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:08 pm

john9blue wrote:Nice map, it reminds me of Conquer Man with all of the bottlenecks (they aren't necessarily a bad thing).

If the center islands are "Temple Islands", then you should put a temple graphic there. Maybe, to clarify, you could have the objective be to capture the center island, and it could start off with neutrals. Unless you really don't want to do that.

Also, if all the boats and docks are assaulting each other, you could just say "attack" instead of "assault". ;)

Yes, I like the bottlenecks too. Perhaps we could thin them down a little though...
I've tried putting temples in the centre, but it makes it look rather cluttered and when the army circles are on there it looks even worse.
We had discussed making the temple isles as an objective but we weren't too keen on the idea. Maybe if there's enough call for it then we'll reconsider.
We may still say attack instead of assault, we were just trying to keep with the CC theme of assault rather than attack.

As a brief update,

I have addressed the borders issue, I don't want to post a new update yet as we have a few more updates to do til we can release the next version. The borders have been changed from white to a darker colour, it fits in much better.

Premier2k
Cadet Premier2k

Postby john9blue on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:46 pm

I sort of meant just putting a single temple in the middle. If you don't have room, that's fine.

Also, you should make it clear whether the 4 center territories can all attack each other or not (they touch in the middle). :)
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas