Conquer Club

WWII:Poland [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: WWII: The Invasion of Poland -V1- 20/1/09

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:24 am

Yeah where is all the feedback?

IMHO Samual812 has a definite talent at making maps.

I could be wrong here in my presumptions, but doesn't the Polish Air Force deserve at least 1 plane? I don't know how/if they did defend their homeland, but certainly the Polish had an air force to call upon.

And it seems to me that the +3 is a pretty high bonus. Especially when you consider how close they are to each other.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby samuelc812 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:42 am

Juan_Bottom wrote:I could be wrong here in my presumptions, but doesn't the Polish Air Force deserve at least 1 plane? I don't know how/if they did defend their homeland, but certainly the Polish had an air force to call upon.

They probably did and i am not against putting a polish plane in, but i am unsure as of yet where i would put it. The map depicts the Polish withdrawal to the South-East (green) so i doubt they would be doing much stuff in the air. But if there is enough support we can figure something out.

Juan_Bottom wrote:And it seems to me that the +3 is a pretty high bonus. Especially when you consider how close they are to each other.

Remember there are no continent bonuses, So each player having a home and getting an auto-deploy will make gameplay more interesting. I am going to make it so Commanders can't attack each other, so players won't get killed in the first Round.
Captain samuelc812

Postby samuelc812 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:25 pm

Surely there is more feedback than this :)
Captain samuelc812

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:29 pm

Nice one! A whole new map than the first one I saw, which to be honest didn't have much life in this. This, on the other hand, is vibrant and really draws me to it, although I am an avid WWII buff so that might help a bit :) . Some quick thoughts I will leave you with on this:

I would recommend thinking about just using the commanders' last names, just for the sake of territory names and the XML. You could always just use the last names in the XML and the full names on the actual map, but that could confuse some people.

I'm not really feeling the fuzzy static-like outline on the border.

I'd like to see a better representation of tanks than what you have ā€” something more WWII. Some suggestions for outlining:
German Panzer (Panther)

German Tiger

Russian T-34

I really like this map!

P.S. to anyone who is wondering/thinks they're right (and I know someone will say this), the lowercase 'L's of the Pole commanders are supposed to have the little strike through them ;)
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:04 pm

samuelc812 wrote:Surely there is more feedback than this :)

Yes, there is more feedback, and here is a big whack....good stuff ;)

As you know i am all for this map, it's a very good to start from where you were previously with the original version.

Juan_Bottom wrote:....
I could be wrong here in my presumptions, but doesn't the Polish Air Force deserve at least 1 plane? I don't know how/if they did defend their homeland, but certainly the Polish had an air force to call upon...

From: http://history.howstuffworks.com/world- ... /printable
As soon as the invasion began, the German air force began attacking the Polish air force and its bases, bombing and strafing roads and railways, and bombing Poland's factories. Within four days Poland's air force was destroyed.

Juan_Bottom is indeed correct, and could use a representation on the map. The Polish Air Force was very active in other theatres of WWII, so if the green at the bottom represents fleeing Poland as has been suggested, then you could place a one-way attack to another one of those green terts that isn't named yet to represent the Air Force to give them two terts.

Some barbed-wire would possibly go astray as impassables on the borders, as i believe this is what was used in many places to stop people escaping over borders.

I know it's only early days for you on this one, and I am sure there will be plenty of feedback coming,...
* the black text on the blue is a bit awkward to read; perhaps look at incorporating that into the legend somehow.
* a suggestion for some tanks for Germany and Russia - invasion forces
* What about the Polish underground. Do some further research, and see if there is anything on that front that can be used in this map, it would assist in the overall essence of this country.
* Perhaps also use the Polish Eagle here on this poster in your legend somehow:

Excellent re-start. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby samuelc812 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:19 pm

I am working on the next draft and incorporating the things which you suggested... Meanwhile any other feedback :)
Captain samuelc812

Postby samuelc812 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:31 am

Version 2

Changes:
  • Improved Title with Polish Coat of Arms
  • Improved Legend
  • Improved Tanks
  • Added Polish Plane

Click image to enlarge.
Captain samuelc812

Re: WWII: The Invasion of Poland -V2- 24/1/09

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:28 am

Wow, looking very nice. Good work. :)
Now...down to business, see what you can make of these suggestions.
1. You've got the large map at 840px...is there any need for it to be that large, as there is a lot of large empty real estate, and i'm not saying there shouldn't be, but the map size is at the extremity of the limits for only a small number of terts.
2. Can the PC3 plane only attack into Poland?
3. The red planes on the Soviet Union don't kind of stand out, perhaps gray like the German Planes.
4. You know what i did with the heading in Das Scloss?....well now i liked to see something similar with the big brown square, but in the fashion of the emblem. It does look a little unattractive as such a large rectangle, your map has some very nice curvy lines, and a heading in similar style would look much better IMHO.
5. Is there any reason you chose the brown for the header?
6. In order for the text "The invasion of Poland" to be seen against that beackground, i think the emblem could have the opacity changed so that it's a faded emblem on that background.
7. Why is WWII so large, is the map not about the invasion of poland...i would think that should be the larger.
8. i take it you didn't like anything about the Polish underground, or didn't you bother, or did you think it might complicate the map?
Don't forget to rest...and keep up the great work. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby samuelc812 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:52 am

Thanks for commenting :)

cairnswk wrote:Wow, looking very nice. Good work. :)
Now...down to business, see what you can make of these suggestions.
1. You've got the large map at 840px...is there any need for it to be that large, as there is a lot of large empty real estate, and i'm not saying there shouldn't be, but the map size is at the extremity of the limits for only a small number of terts.

I guess you're right i just thought i would make it at it's extremity so i could have some more detail, but i'll see what i can do ;)
cairnswk wrote:2. Can the PC3 plane only attack into Poland?

Yes, Should it not?
cairnswk wrote:3. The red planes on the Soviet Union don't kind of stand out, perhaps gray like the German Planes.

I guess that could work :) But then i would have to change the Red Tanks as well to tie in ;)
cairnswk wrote:4. You know what i did with the heading in Das Scloss?....well now i liked to see something similar with the big brown square, but in the fashion of the emblem. It does look a little unattractive as such a large rectangle, your map has some very nice curvy lines, and a heading in similar style would look much better IMHO.

I'll see what i can do ;)
cairnswk wrote:5. Is there any reason you chose the brown for the header?

I chose brown because it was the only colour i thought would look good, but looking at it now i'm having second thoughts.
cairnswk wrote:6. In order for the text "The invasion of Poland" to be seen against that beackground, i think the emblem could have the opacity changed so that it's a faded emblem on that background.

I agree completely ;)
cairnswk wrote:7. Why is WWII so large, is the map not about the invasion of poland...i would think that should be the larger.

Very True ;)
cairnswk wrote:8. i take it you didn't like anything about the Polish underground, or didn't you bother, or did you think it might complicate the map?

I thought it mite complicate the map, which isn't really what i wanted to do, sorry ;)
Don't forget to rest...and keep up the great work. :)

I'll try :lol:
Captain samuelc812

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:23 am

samuelc812 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:2. Can the PC3 plane only attack into Poland?

Yes, Should it not?

Well, i guess it should as it was meant to represent the out-of-poland pilots.

But what did you think about the idea of having the polish air force in poland also on one tert to represent the attack proper when the luftwaffer initally attacked?

cairnswk wrote:3. The red planes on the Soviet Union don't kind of stand out, perhaps gray like the German Planes.

I guess that could work :) But then i would have to change the Red Tanks as well to tie in ;)

OK.

cairnswk wrote:5. Is there any reason you chose the brown for the header?

I chose brown because it was the only colour i thought would look good, but looking at it now i'm having second thoughts.

yeah, look see what others think first before you go changing it...they might like it.

cairnswk wrote:8. i take it you didn't like anything about the Polish underground, or didn't you bother, or did you think it might complicate the map?

I thought it mite complicate the map, which isn't really what i wanted to do, sorry ;)
OK. that's cool.
Private cairnswk

Postby edbeard on Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:16 am

The first thing that is glaring is that this map is unnecessarily large. 840x800 is meant for maps that really need it. cairnswk already said it but instead of looking to add more detail, consider just making the map a bit smaller. You've got quite a bit going on already with tanks, planes, and flags. You don't want the image to look overcomplicated. Right now I'd say this image is light years beyond a draft stage. I don't really see much that needs to change except minor details.

if you're going to change the red tanks and planes then please change the green tanks and planes too. they look teh ugly. maybe if they were more of a proper green colour like planes actually were/are. the neon tanks are a bit too cartoony.

Gameplay on the other hand has problems.

Commanders get +3 auto. I'm assuming each territory starts with 3 armies. I go first. I own Vasily Chuikov. 3 on the terr to start. 3 more from my auto. 3 more from my deploy. 9 armies take over the 3 on SU3. I didn't lose anyone! 8 armies to attack with and I have 2 commanders with only 3 armies on them! Maybe I'll only go after one of them and leave 4 armies on my two commanders. maybe someone else will grab them from me. maybe they won't but whoever owned the one I took over won't start with one. Or I guess if people only start on commanders they are out of the game?

if indeed you meant to start everyone with only their commander then I'm not sure how you can fix that without putting oodles of neutral armies on map which would make things worse.

Maybe start everyone on all the territories except commanders? Not sure how'd that play out. perhaps the autodeploy would have to be lessened slightly.

edit: well I just saw the Planes can only bombard but my description above still stands. you can attack into Poland onto a tank and then attack someone else's commander. One commander even directly connects with a Polish Commander and can get an additional bonus by only taking out one territory. something has to change.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby samuelc812 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:40 am

Thanks edbeard for your comments ;)

I was planning on making it smaller after cairns suggestion.

As for Gameplay, If each Plane started with a 5 neutral, and each Tank started with a 5 neutral, then this would make it more difficult for them to take another Commander. And if i made the Auto-deploy +2 then this would also make it better?

And there are Commanders that border each other, and so it says at the top that Commanders cannot attack other Commanders. The Polish Commanders inside Poland will probably have 5 neutrals each as well, next version will have a representation of neutrals. Air planes can only bombard.
Captain samuelc812

Postby edbeard on Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:43 am

that idea is very unappealing. attacking swarms of neutrals is no fun. also even if you had 5 on a tank, someone will attack with their 8 armies 3+2+3 and defeat it easily making the 3 armies on the commander an easy target. you might say, "ok. let's put 8 on the tank" and that's even less fun.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby samuelc812 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:53 am

Well what if i made it so, Tanks can't attack Commanders. And the only way to kill a commander outside of Poland was by Attacking From a Polish Plane within Poland? (I would have to add these). Bearing in mind that Polish Commanders inside Poland, do not have auto-deploys... And just have one-way attacks to the territories surrounding each Commander, so commanders can only attack out, but nothing can attack in except the center of Poland, which would be a Plane...?
Captain samuelc812

Postby edbeard on Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:51 pm

that would be interesting. your planes in Poland idea

you don't think you should give bonuses to holding an entire countries planes? or tanks?

All Soviet Planes - +4
All Soviet Tanks - +3

All Polish Planes and Tanks - +3

All German Tanks +6
All German Planes +7

Some won't be held too often but that's OK. Maybe you can do a "majority" bonus for the Germans. Any 4 German Tanks +4. Any 4 German Planes +4
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby samuelc812 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:39 pm

That's a good idea edbeard, i was thinking the map could do with more bonuses ;)
Captain samuelc812

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:53 pm

This map is looking good... keep up the good work ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: WWII: The Invasion of Poland -V3- 27/1/09

Postby samuelc812 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:18 pm

Changes:
  • Improved Header
  • Added Barbed Wire Impassables
  • Added Proposed Neutrals and Starting Armies
  • Added Polish Air-Force in the Centre of Poland

Click image to enlarge.
Captain samuelc812

Postby samuelc812 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:29 pm

Feedback? :P
Captain samuelc812

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:32 pm

Wow! Good stuff.
Just one major comment for now....the title area grabs one's eyes completely because of the yellow. Perhaps tone it all down a fraction so that the map it the one what sticks out. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby The Neon Peon on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:37 pm

A+ on the legend. I like the new territory borders, look much better.

I would say the gameplay needs some work. I'll get back to you on that in a bit.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby Balsiefen on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Bit of gameplay: Von Bock has rather an atvantage in being very close to the central attackything. It could easily be held in one turn, providing a major advantage and possibly even allowing them to knock out one of the other players. You should make it equally difficult for all generals to get to the center.

Edit: Didn't notice the tanks. In actual case von runstedt and kovalev have a disadvantage. Maybe shifting a tank to sc6 and gc4 and jigging borders so von R can attack gc4 would be best to solve the problem.

Edit 2: also gc7 looks like 2 territs, I'd widen the neck a bit.

Love the map! :D
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi

Postby The Neon Peon on Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:45 pm

Gameplay: anyone who goes into Poland dies.

You put a plane next to every starting point, meaning that you have a way to bombard any region of Poland just one territory away from a +3 autodeploy spot. Meaning that anyone who even tries to go into Poland will just get themselves bombarded to death.

I don't think this is a good thing. the only reason you can go out into Poland is if your enemy does, a standoff since neither will be the one to first get themselves killed.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby samuelc812 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:13 pm

I think would be great fun, to have people making a run for it :lol:

Perhaps if i scrap the "All Planes can attack any territ within Poland" Rule and just make a few of the territs with nothing on them, with crosshairs on them. And they can be the targets for the planes?

I am going to add Barbed Wire within Poland to make it a little bit more even, as it is now Fedor von Bock has a big advantage i think ;)
Captain samuelc812

Postby edbeard on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:59 pm

shouldn't it be the opposite? Why would I care about the blank territories? You should be able to bombard tanks with planes and possibly the commanders too (though this might be a bad idea. see my point below)

I think people will advance into Poland. They just have to play a fine line. Don't move too many away from your commander. But don't put too few where they can be easily taken over. I think the question is whether bonuses are big enough to encourage attacking neutrals.

shouldn't tanks be worth more than planes since some planes are very easy to grab and harder for other people to take. PC3 for example can only be attacked from Ferdinand Catlos and PC1 tank.

Also, who is going attack/take over a Polish Commander with 5 neutrals when taking them gives a +1 bonus? you can increase the bonus to +4 (deployable anywhere) but that might make them constant targets of bombardment by planes. perhaps increase the bonus and make planes only able to bombard tanks whilst making tanks have a +3 bonus for every two held. this makes spreading to Poland both worthwhile and necessary. I can get more bonuses than I can by planes. I need to spread there to be able to stop and/or gain the big commander bonuses.
Lieutenant edbeard

Next

Return to The Atlas