[Official] Centerscape/Midgard REVAMP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Official] Centerscape REVAMP - Refining the map

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:00 am

2) Made the 1-way arrow more pronounced

I think you might have overdone it a little, but it's not a big deal.
3) Darkened the green to visually separate it from yellow (and fixed color of bridges and legend)

Looks good, thanks!
Maybe work on Title symbol again. I like the red circle thing but that is just me. I think it looks good. Any other supporters?

I think it's great as is.

This map could be quenched as soon as the territory names are decided :D
Captain ZeakCytho

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:01 am

I like the symbol but I'd make it more suitable to the theme — less polished, if you know what I mean. Also, I love all the little changes you made, but m comment on the symbol applies to the arrow as well — tone it down and make it more 2D.

This map is just great.

Major the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Re: [Official] Centerscape REVAMP (Midgard) Large v3 / page 2

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:46 am

Personally I liked the Celtic 'A' in the title... It feels a little bland now... The circle in the background looks fantastic, so leave that there - perhaps have a look at some other decorative typefaces for the A in the title... it added a bit of character, but I just thought there was a tiny bit too much space between the A and the G/R ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby edbeard on Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:55 am

reposting image for the new page

I'd prefer in the arrow was a little longer. I think the base of the triangle should be past the mountains themselves so it is quite evident. Especially if you're going to tone down the arrow like other people have said (though I disagree with that). Though, making the arrow longer might make it look freakish.
Major edbeard

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby rishaed on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:25 am

title's perfect now widowmaker...of course that's only my opinion... :mrgreen:
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!
Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (4)

Postby hecter on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:28 am

WidowMakers wrote:]1) Maybe work on Title symbol again. I like the red circle thing but that is just me. I think it looks good. Any other supporters?

Me.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:24 am

hecter wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:]1) Maybe work on Title symbol again. I like the red circle thing but that is just me. I think it looks good. Any other supporters?

Me.

Me what?
    1) Me- I think the title needs work?
    2) Me- I think it looks good the way it is?

edbeard wrote:I'd prefer in the arrow was a little longer. I think the base of the triangle should be past the mountains themselves so it is quite evident. Especially if you're going to tone down the arrow like other people have said (though I disagree with that). Though, making the arrow longer might make it look freakish.
I think the arrow is too long right now and I really don't think making it bigger will improve the map. It is easy to see and when people are moving armies from that territory, it will be easier to spot.

As far as toning down the arrow, I will lessen the harshness and roughness of the bevel.

the.killing.44 wrote:I like the symbol but I'd make it more suitable to the theme — less polished, if you know what I mean. Also, I love all the little changes you made, but m comment on the symbol applies to the arrow as well — tone it down and make it more 2D.

This map is just great.

I will look into a less polished circle symbol (I will keep the circle but make it more 2D less bevel). The arrow will be toned down as well.

MrBenn wrote:Personally I liked the Celtic 'A' in the title... It feels a little bland now... The circle in the background looks fantastic, so leave that there - perhaps have a look at some other decorative typefaces for the A in the title... it added a bit of character, but I just thought there was a tiny bit too much space between the A and the G/R ;-)
I will look into several symbols to replace the A.

Updates tomorrow hopefully (or today since it is 1:30 am for me)

WM
Colonel WidowMakers

Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (11) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:37 am

Large Version 4

To do:
    1) Confirm Bonus region Names
    2) Confirm territory names
    3) do XML

Colonel WidowMakers

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (11) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Re: [Official] Centerscape REVAMP (Midgard) Large v4 / page 1,3

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:08 pm

If the red is the "Dragon Realm," why not have one roaming the boundary mountains? Other than that I don't have much to say. Nice work toning everything down, and I think hecter was referring to the symbol, which you asked for supporters ;)

Major the.killing.44

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:57 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:If the red is the "Dragon Realm," why not have one roaming the boundary mountains? Other than that I don't have much to say. Nice work toning everything down, and I think hecter was referring to the symbol, which you asked for supporters ;)

So switch the dragon and the sea serpent? How about that?

WM
Colonel WidowMakers

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:58 pm

WidowMakers wrote:So switch the dragon and the sea serpent? How about that?

WM

Yeah, that sounds good

Major the.killing.44

Postby hecter on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:46 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:If the red is the "Dragon Realm," why not have one roaming the boundary mountains? Other than that I don't have much to say. Nice work toning everything down, and I think hecter was referring to the symbol, which you asked for supporters ;)

Right you are. I think the symbol looks quite nice for the most part. Though, I think the colour is a bit off, but not in a way that makes it look really bad.

And I still don't like those boats...
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:35 pm

hecter wrote:And I still don't like those boats...
Sorry, the boats stay. They were on the original entry and they will be on the final.
Colonel WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:39 pm

Large Version 5

Switched Sea serpent and dragon.
Added sig (per RjBeals instructions)

OK people. We need name discussions.
I think the bonus names are OK and lend themselves to the location and color of the regions.

Lets get this quenched in under 10 pages. RJ did such a FABULOUS job in the contest, the map is almost ready.

WM
Colonel WidowMakers

Re: [Official] Centerscape REVAMP (Midgard) Large v5 / page 1,3

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:43 pm

I think most are fine, but Death Marsh without water in it? I guess it's surrounded, but still… Oh, and if we're gonna do the dragon theme for the red, please have Puff the Magic as one :D

Major the.killing.44

Postby ZeakCytho on Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:54 pm

I'm not a huge fan of the territory name font. Something about the change in size of each letter bugs me. I like the font style, but it looks almost too fairy tale-like or childish with the size changes. Could you perhaps find something of a similar style that doesn't do the size-changing thing?

As for names, I think most of them are fine. I'm not very good with names, and I'm sure others will give more useful comments in this area.
Captain ZeakCytho

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:20 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:I think most are fine, but Death Marsh without water in it? I guess it's surrounded, but still… Oh, and if we're gonna do the dragon theme for the red, please have Puff the Magic as one :D

If you have a better name please suggest it. I am all ears. :-)
Colonel WidowMakers

Postby edbeard on Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:27 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:I think most are fine, but Death Marsh without water in it? I guess it's surrounded, but still… Oh, and if we're gonna do the dragon theme for the red, please have Puff the Magic as one :D

If you have a better name please suggest it. I am all ears. :-)

must be hard to type

the new arrow is much better. light on dark.
Major edbeard

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby The Neon Peon on Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:56 pm

The map is just beautiful. Quench this thing.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3)

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:59 pm

The Neon Peon wrote:The map is just beautiful. Quench this thing.

Seconded. I don't mind the marsh, can't really think of anything better, either :) . I'd get to work on the XML — I don't see too much else delaying this.

Can we get at least a FF on 'er?

Major the.killing.44

Postby RjBeals on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:11 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:I'm not a huge fan of the territory name font. Something about the change in size of each letter bugs me. I like the font style, but it looks almost too fairy tale-like or childish with the size changes. Could you perhaps find something of a similar style that doesn't do the size-changing thing?

I disagree 100%. I think the font works well for the style of the map. This is the first comment that I remember seeing with dissatisfaction towards the font style.
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby hecter on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:14 pm

I have no issues with the font, though at the same time, I would not mind if it were changed, as long as it fit well with the map.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:34 pm

The font is awesome. It really fits with the style and feel of the map.

BTW do you know what the font is called? Ringbearer, like from LOTR ring bearer.
The Ringbearer font is a replication of the font used in the logo of Peter Jackson's "The Lord Of The Rings" trilogy.

So I think it is appropriate. :D

So are there no name change requests? If not the XML will be a quick and easy job to do.

WM
Colonel WidowMakers

Postby edbeard on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:37 pm

none of the names seem "bad". we could spent weeks trying to add dragon names. I'd say just go ahead with it and let's get this done.
Major edbeard

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:47 pm

Emberheart
Dirgewings
Violetclaw
Falseslice -
Painscale
Deebolt
Gearmaw
Lightholder
Howlcry
Blackmaw
Highsoar
Greathide
Dwarfcrest
Clayrage
Irontalon
Agianya
Aginthana
Agisaia
Agrartand
Agrene
Amardius
Amovur
Aneras
Anglia
Anglymnaia
Antitrea
Antya
Aquia
Arcadas
Arcinene
Arcuanon
Arcycur
Asea
Austracius
Burguaras
Bythenya
Castentum
Cesorya
Ebovon
Engeos
Era
Escysica
Ethantis
Etheos
Ethica
Eulona
Euphovius
Genanthia
Germinas
Judernum
Laurundas
Laurycas
Mallantas
Miranas
Mytagon
Mytonon
Mytosum
Parandea
Terratror
Ugynini
Ursitrya
Urson
Utagya
Utonona
Zeelannur
Colonel WidowMakers

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas