Really you need to thank RJ. It is his map. i am just helping to get it done because he is busy outside CC.theButterfly wrote:Thank you, RjBeals and WidowMakers, for giving us a map that's already better than the original Middle Earth map.
I like the Northern Desert Idea. It sounds better and goes with the color. I like the Dark forest as well. Especially since we already have Entmoot Ridge as a tert name.theButterfly wrote:As far as _____ Shires is concerned, I still think Icy Tundra was the best name proposed so far; but if it must be a "shire" name, then I'd go with Crystal Shire. Of course, if you want to give a nod to Lovecraft, you could always call it the Cold Waste and change Drumlin to Kadath--just as a way of including more fantasy writers than just Tolkien.
I have to say I'm not really happy with the names of the Northern Plains and Enting Forest. Northern Plains doesn't seem harsh enough, and Enting Forest sounds too forced.
Northern Plains: "Northern Desert" or "Badlands" sounds better.
Enting Forest: "Dark Forest" (It can make up the Tolkien theme in territory names.)
Well we are not losing another ship so it will stay Barrendown. As far as Heorot, why?theButterfly wrote:Another thought: How about changing "Barrendown" to "Kingdom of Barrendown"? I know I'd rather not lose the ship in the southern part of the sea, but I'd also like the impression of people living in this world. In my imagination, it seems like Goldenfield and Barrendown are the two regions with the biggest human populations. I imagine Goldenfield as being mostly small towns and farmland and Barrendown as having the bigger cities. (Then again, any people in Barrendown would have to have a way of protecting themselves from dragons that fly west to feed.)
One final suggestion: one territory, probably in Barrendown, should be named Heorot.
Here's my next batch of random thoughts/observations...
1. The orange and red in the legend boxes looks slightly more saturated than on the map itself.
2. What did you decide about the map title: 'Midgard: The Lost Realm'?
3. Three Lakes actually borders Four Lakes
Duh. My mistake. FIXED
4. Some of the territory names look like slightly different shades (compare Hubcity to Northern Waste)
Messed up when I was switching names around. FIXED
5. Have we double-checked that the gameplay is identical to the existing map?
I did a bout 3 times but it would be good for someone else to do it as well. MrBenn?
6. XML... It absolutely MUST have the territories in the same (relative) order as the existing map
What do you mean. I plan on just taking the current XML and replacing names so the order will not change in teh actual XML file, just the words
7. In the legend, the L of Northern Plains looks like it's an I
Not an issue anymore with desert
8. The mountain pass between Stones Pass and Shadowmist could either be made narrower (by adding a mountain or two to fill the brown space below the existing mountains), or slightly wider (by removing one or two of the mountains just above the brown space). Either that, or tweak the border so that the colour-change happens at the end of the ridge?
9. Totally random idea - the one-way arrow could be a fire-breathing dragon? (this is only a half-hearted suggestion!)
I don't think so. To make it look good teh dragon woudl need to be really big. The arrow is fine and fits well but is not IN YOUR FACE
10. If you compare the lakes between The __ Shires/Goldenfield and DeadMarsh/Northern Plains, the edges have a very different quality (ie one is 'bobbly' and the other is smooth). I'm not sure if this is a big issue or not, but is probably the only real issue that I can see anybody raising as a legitimate concern (and I think it was raised in the competition thread?)
The interior lakes have smoother shores but the coastal waters (i.e. The __ Shires/Goldenfield) don't
Nope. Sorry. Not adding more icons or other stuff that was not in the original map. The dragons were something that RJ was going to do but did not get to. The map is already simple and clean. Not going to add more than it needs.Kaplowitz wrote:maybe some city icons? like Hubcity?
WidowMakers wrote:As far as Heorot, why?
Thank RjBeals.The Neon Peon wrote:Final forge this thing.
I would like to say that this has one of the best, if not the best graphics I have ever seen on a CC map (quenched and in the foundry).
edbeard wrote:Frosty Shires sounds better to me than either Frozen Shires or Frosted Shires
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest