[Official] Centerscape/Midgard REVAMP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Official] Centerscape REVAMP (Midgard) Large v7 / page 1,6

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:54 pm

I'd make the Northern Plains' color in the key a bit yellow/beige-er. atm it the color is very similar to Barrendown.

Major the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Postby theButterfly on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:26 pm

Thank you, RjBeals and WidowMakers, for giving us a map that's already better than the original Middle Earth map.

As far as _____ Shires is concerned, I still think Icy Tundra was the best name proposed so far; but if it must be a "shire" name, then I'd go with Crystal Shire. Of course, if you want to give a nod to Lovecraft, you could always call it the Cold Waste and change Drumlin to Kadath--just as a way of including more fantasy writers than just Tolkien.

I have to say I'm not really happy with the names of the Northern Plains and Enting Forest. Northern Plains doesn't seem harsh enough, and Enting Forest sounds too forced.

Northern Plains: "Northern Desert" or "Badlands" sounds better.

Enting Forest: "Dark Forest" (It can make up the Tolkien theme in territory names.)

Another thought: How about changing "Barrendown" to "Kingdom of Barrendown"? I know I'd rather not lose the ship in the southern part of the sea, but I'd also like the impression of people living in this world. In my imagination, it seems like Goldenfield and Barrendown are the two regions with the biggest human populations. I imagine Goldenfield as being mostly small towns and farmland and Barrendown as having the bigger cities. (Then again, any people in Barrendown would have to have a way of protecting themselves from dragons that fly west to feed.)

One final suggestion: one territory, probably in Barrendown, should be named Heorot.
Captain theButterfly

Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:36 pm

=D>

Here's my next batch of random thoughts/observations...

1. The orange and red in the legend boxes looks slightly more saturated than on the map itself.
2. What did you decide about the map title: 'Midgard: The Lost Realm'?
3. Three Lakes actually borders Four Lakes 8-[
4. Some of the territory names look like slightly different shades (compare Hubcity to Northern Waste)
5. Have we double-checked that the gameplay is identical to the existing map?
6. XML... It absolutely MUST have the territories in the same (relative) order as the existing map
7. In the legend, the L of Northern Plains looks like it's an I
8. The mountain pass between Stones Pass and Shadowmist could either be made narrower (by adding a mountain or two to fill the brown space below the existing mountains), or slightly wider (by removing one or two of the mountains just above the brown space). Either that, or tweak the border so that the colour-change happens at the end of the ridge?
9. Totally random idea - the one-way arrow could be a fire-breathing dragon? (this is only a half-hearted suggestion!)
10. If you compare the lakes between The __ Shires/Goldenfield and DeadMarsh/Northern Plains, the edges have a very different quality (ie one is 'bobbly' and the other is smooth). I'm not sure if this is a big issue or not, but is probably the only real issue that I can see anybody raising as a legitimate concern (and I think it was raised in the competition thread?)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:58 pm

theButterfly wrote:Thank you, RjBeals and WidowMakers, for giving us a map that's already better than the original Middle Earth map.
Really you need to thank RJ. It is his map. i am just helping to get it done because he is busy outside CC.

theButterfly wrote:As far as _____ Shires is concerned, I still think Icy Tundra was the best name proposed so far; but if it must be a "shire" name, then I'd go with Crystal Shire. Of course, if you want to give a nod to Lovecraft, you could always call it the Cold Waste and change Drumlin to Kadath--just as a way of including more fantasy writers than just Tolkien.

I have to say I'm not really happy with the names of the Northern Plains and Enting Forest. Northern Plains doesn't seem harsh enough, and Enting Forest sounds too forced.

Northern Plains: "Northern Desert" or "Badlands" sounds better.

Enting Forest: "Dark Forest" (It can make up the Tolkien theme in territory names.)
I like the Northern Desert Idea. It sounds better and goes with the color. I like the Dark forest as well. Especially since we already have Entmoot Ridge as a tert name.

Now as far as Icy Tundra, Crystal Shire or Frosty Shire. We will probably go with a ______ Shire to keep nods to Tolkien.

theButterfly wrote:Another thought: How about changing "Barrendown" to "Kingdom of Barrendown"? I know I'd rather not lose the ship in the southern part of the sea, but I'd also like the impression of people living in this world. In my imagination, it seems like Goldenfield and Barrendown are the two regions with the biggest human populations. I imagine Goldenfield as being mostly small towns and farmland and Barrendown as having the bigger cities. (Then again, any people in Barrendown would have to have a way of protecting themselves from dragons that fly west to feed.)

One final suggestion: one territory, probably in Barrendown, should be named Heorot.
Well we are not losing another ship so it will stay Barrendown. As far as Heorot, why?

Thanks
WM
Colonel WidowMakers

Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (11) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Postby Kaplowitz on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:03 pm

maybe some city icons? like Hubcity?
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:22 pm

MrBenn wrote:=D>

Here's my next batch of random thoughts/observations...

1. The orange and red in the legend boxes looks slightly more saturated than on the map itself.
DONE!
2. What did you decide about the map title: 'Midgard: The Lost Realm'?
Oops. FIXED!
3. Three Lakes actually borders Four Lakes 8-[
Duh. My mistake. FIXED
4. Some of the territory names look like slightly different shades (compare Hubcity to Northern Waste)
Messed up when I was switching names around. FIXED
5. Have we double-checked that the gameplay is identical to the existing map?
I did a bout 3 times but it would be good for someone else to do it as well. MrBenn? ;-)
6. XML... It absolutely MUST have the territories in the same (relative) order as the existing map
What do you mean. I plan on just taking the current XML and replacing names so the order will not change in teh actual XML file, just the words
7. In the legend, the L of Northern Plains looks like it's an I
Not an issue anymore with desert
8. The mountain pass between Stones Pass and Shadowmist could either be made narrower (by adding a mountain or two to fill the brown space below the existing mountains), or slightly wider (by removing one or two of the mountains just above the brown space). Either that, or tweak the border so that the colour-change happens at the end of the ridge?
FIXED
9. Totally random idea - the one-way arrow could be a fire-breathing dragon? (this is only a half-hearted suggestion!)
I don't think so. To make it look good teh dragon woudl need to be really big. The arrow is fine and fits well but is not IN YOUR FACE
10. If you compare the lakes between The __ Shires/Goldenfield and DeadMarsh/Northern Plains, the edges have a very different quality (ie one is 'bobbly' and the other is smooth). I'm not sure if this is a big issue or not, but is probably the only real issue that I can see anybody raising as a legitimate concern (and I think it was raised in the competition thread?)
The interior lakes have smoother shores but the coastal waters (i.e. The __ Shires/Goldenfield) don't
Colonel WidowMakers

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (11) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:24 pm

LARGE Version 8
SMALL Version 2
Colonel WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:37 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:maybe some city icons? like Hubcity?
Nope. Sorry. Not adding more icons or other stuff that was not in the original map. The dragons were something that RJ was going to do but did not get to. The map is already simple and clean. Not going to add more than it needs.

WM
Colonel WidowMakers

Postby theButterfly on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:27 pm

WidowMakers wrote:As far as Heorot, why?

Just as a nod to Beowulf--no other reason. As the oldest surviving epic fantasy story in the English language and a primary influence on Tolkien, I think it deserves a small mention.

As I think about it, I can only think of two places where it would fit. Geolwe and Dern are the only two territories I can see that are accessible from ships coming from the sea and in close proximity to the Dead Marsh, which is the likely home for grotesque troll-like creatures.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion. If it doesn't fit, then it's better to leave it out.
Captain theButterfly

Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: [Official]Centerscape REVAMP Lrg v8 & Sml v2 pg 1,7

Postby The Neon Peon on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:28 pm

Final forge this thing.

I would like to say that this has one of the best, if not the best graphics I have ever seen on a CC map (quenched and in the foundry).
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3)

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:50 pm

The Neon Peon wrote:Final forge this thing.

I would like to say that this has one of the best, if not the best graphics I have ever seen on a CC map (quenched and in the foundry).
Thank RjBeals.
Colonel WidowMakers

Postby maritovw on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:56 pm

one suggestion... how about changing "Fire Mountains" to "Doom Mountains" / "Doomed Mountains" / "Mountains of Doom" ?? I believe you all know why ;)
Sergeant 1st Class maritovw

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: [Official] Centerscape REVAMP (Midgard) Large v6 / page 1,4

Postby pamoa on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:49 am

edbeard wrote:Frosty Shires sounds better to me than either Frozen Shires or Frosted Shires

Sounds more like some new kellog's crisps... :lol:
de gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces et donjonnée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Sergeant 1st Class pamoa

Medals: 58
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (8)
Map Contribution (3)

Postby Optimus Prime on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:32 pm

Is it possible to just Final Forge and Quench it all in the same action? I don't really see a need for Final Forge if the XML checks out, what else is going to be improved? Getting this map into live play as soon as possible would be one of the best things that can be done to alleviate some of the harboring "misgivings" about the changes made to Classic and Middle Earth in the first place.

Can't wait to have this one available. :D
Cadet Optimus Prime
Retired Administrator

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (3)

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:14 pm

OK, here's my gameplay / naming check...

show: territory equivalents

The only gameplay glitch I picked up, is that V2(Wiberg) should not border V4(Rotweed), and V3(Dagorlad) should border V5 (Mirklight).

The only other thing worth mentioning from a gameplay perspective, is that the border between Zuto and Marillo could be made a little more obvious by making their shared border a tiny bit longer - you could extend it very slightly into Nark.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:06 pm

Thanks MrBenn.

I will make the XML switches accordingly.
I will rename Legion to Bagend :-)
I will cleanup the border issue (V2(Wiberg) should not border V4(Rotweed), and V3(Dagorlad) should border V5 (Mirklight). )
I will extend the Zuto and Marillo border as well.

WM
Colonel WidowMakers

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:52 am

WidowMakers wrote:I will make the XML switches accordingly.

WM, I haven't checked the territory order in the existing XML.... I needed the list to help check the gameplay.... I'll have a check through the order the territories should be in the XML later - just about to rush off to work!

edit: Was able to import the XML into Excel, where the territories get listed in order, with a TerritoryID...

Here's my list, which contains the order I think the territories should be listed in the XML:
show

Having said that, a simple "Find and Replace" should work without any bother. ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Postby RjBeals on Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:25 am

Thanks Benn and WM (and the rest of you) for all the work you've put into the final touches. Team Work !
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:19 pm

OK Here we go. Version 9 of large and 3 of small. XML is updated with new names and army coordinates.

XML
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/15/ ... rd_v02.xml
XML Check Large V9
XML Check Small V3

Large Version 9
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8572 ... v09ee0.png
Small Version 3
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/313/ce ... v03qp8.png

Anything else?

WM
Colonel WidowMakers

Re: [Official]Centerscape Lrg(v9) / Sml(v3) / XML pg 1,8

Postby edbeard on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:26 pm

can you redraw the borders so they match the curvature of the earth?

I call for an official lookover of the graphics. If 10 others agree then the graphics CA should give it an official look over. This is a new official rule that I just made up. If the CA disagrees then another "call" by the public is not allowed for three weeks. The CA can come in and make a ruling on his own time of course. Members cannot call for their own maps. The ed jesus has..no wait that's that other guy's thing.

Official Call for Graphics Stamp

1. edbeard
Major edbeard

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Postby RjBeals on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:37 pm

nicely put ed. I'll second that.

Nicely done WM.
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby The Neon Peon on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:52 pm

I think this can be moved to Final Forge. Graphics Stamp this thing, you can't get any better.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3)

Postby ZeakCytho on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:22 am

edbeard wrote:can you redraw the borders so they match the curvature of the earth?

I was a big supporter of this map before, but now that Ed pointed it out, I'm changing my mind. He raises a very valid point that I strongly urge WM to take into consideration. This map would look much better if adjusted for curvature properly.

8-[

Graphics stamp this sucker ASAP
Captain ZeakCytho

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:30 am

ZeakCytho wrote:
edbeard wrote:can you redraw the borders so they match the curvature of the earth?

I was a big supporter of this map before, but now that Ed pointed it out, I'm changing my mind. He raises a very valid point that I strongly urge WM to take into consideration. This map would look much better if adjusted for curvature properly.

8-[

Graphics stamp this sucker ASAP

To bad Midgard is on a flat sheet of land floating through space. There is no curvature.

;)
Colonel WidowMakers

Postby hecter on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:45 am

WidowMakers wrote:To bad Midgard is on a flat sheet of land floating through space. There is no curvature.

;)

Does it happen to be on some elephants and a turtle, by any chance?
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas