Conquer Club

Jamaica

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Jamaica V5 - Gameplay discussions

Postby cairnswk on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:08 am

the.killing.44 wrote:I like that, but the blur of the swords makes ā€¦ me ā€¦ ā€¦ wooooooozyĀ ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ 8-[

Please .44, it's only V5 and i'm still learning about this new software and drawing swords...i am aware that it is still horrible, but please..... ;)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: Jamaica V5

Postby cairnswk on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:09 am

Current Version
LED ZEPPELINER wrote:make it so that specific ships can attack specific ports

You mean like this...please refresh your screen to see the changed V5

Last edited by cairnswk on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Re: Jamaica V5(P4) - Gameplay discussions

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:17 am

I'm only kiddin' with ya, cairns. Umm, question: is there a space in the mountainst b/w Gordon Town and Port Antonio?

And as for gameplay, my worry is that say France could go from France ā€ŗ Pt. Antonio ā€ŗ St. Mary, where they can cut off Bristol at a chokepoint. Well, it would be very hard to do but in a No Cards game one could stack and do that ā€¦ just trying to find something here ;) .

Oh, and I know there isn't much space, but you could move Ft. Rupert's line that borders Kingston Harbor to the right, slip a fort symbol next to the name (like with Ft. Charles), and have the circle there. Harder on Augusta, though ā€¦

EDIT: and, just for the OCD ā€” having "Kingston" sloped along the swords like "Port Royal" is looks nice.
EDIT 2: I assume London assaults the docks, but you should probably put a small arrow in there.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Re: Jamaica V6

Postby cairnswk on Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:08 am

the.killing.44 wrote:I'm only kiddin' with ya, cairns. Umm, question: is there a space in the mountainst b/w Gordon Town and Port Antonio?

And as for gameplay, my worry is that say France could go from France ā€ŗ Pt. Antonio ā€ŗ St. Mary, where they can cut off Bristol at a chokepoint. Well, it would be very hard to do but in a No Cards game one could stack and do that ā€¦ just trying to find something here ;) .

Oh, and I know there isn't much space, but you could move Ft. Rupert's line that borders Kingston Harbor to the right, slip a fort symbol next to the name (like with Ft. Charles), and have the circle there. Harder on Augusta, though ā€¦

EDIT: and, just for the OCD ā€” having "Kingston" sloped along the swords like "Port Royal" is looks nice.
EDIT 2: I assume London assaults the docks, but you should probably put a small arrow in there.

All noted, so how is this? And how are the swords now?

Private cairnswk

Re: Jamaica V6(P5) - Gameplay discussions

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:45 pm

anymore feedback?
Private cairnswk

Postby sailorseal on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:44 pm

cairnswk wrote:anymore feedback?

Yes, I like the idea of the swords but they are rough and blurry. Are the resources based on Historical sots or are they random? I would add a slave port as a resource. Change the ship London to Britain. Hope none of these have been suggested before, and the graphics look great!
Cook sailorseal

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:41 pm

maybe make it so that all ports don't connect, just the boats to a specific port, because if a ship was at a port, and an enemy ship came, do you think that the ship that was already there would let the other ship near the port? jsut throwing that out there, it would make it a little harder to kill enemies, which i think would be a good idea
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby MrBenn on Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:41 pm

My biggest concern remains the 'disconnectedness' of the two regions at the top. Yes, I know where/how they connect, but I'm still not convinced it's that obvious...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:39 pm

MrBenn wrote:My biggest concern remains the 'disconnectedness' of the two regions at the top. Yes, I know where/how they connect, but I'm still not convinced it's that obvious...

Do you have any suggestions Mr Benn?
Private cairnswk

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:07 pm

i was thinking changing the color of port rohyal on both maps
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Re: Jamaica V7

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:21 am

MrBenn wrote:My biggest concern remains the 'disconnectedness' of the two regions at the top. Yes, I know where/how they connect, but I'm still not convinced it's that obvious...

OK this might fix this challenge...there is heaps of graphic issues still here, but i want to get this connectivity right. :)

Version 7
Private cairnswk

Re: Jamaica V7(P5) - Connectivity

Postby MrBenn on Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:49 am

Moving the inset to the bottom makes it heaps clearer - I think you could add in some sort of callout box now, although you may have to move the Ship London...

This is the type of thing I had in mind - and should be more achieveable now that the inset is all together and nearer the point from which it can be exploded...

I've picked up a typo: 'you say all forts can bombard the ships, when I expect that should be all 'ports'. On the legend, you refer to 'maroon'. I'm assuming that this must be the pinkish territories, but that's not clear.
The 'coastal slaves' rule seems a bit vague, and I don't fully understand the logic behind it - I imagine it's due to the one-way ships to ports? I'm not sure you need to have that rule at all... the ships can attack the ports, and the ports can bombard the ships... If you lose your ship, then there's no way home - I like the thought that the ships can't be occupied again ;-)

The map is coming along nicely; it would be nice to get some feedback from people about the gameplay... it would be good to have a proper reasoned analysis of how balanced (or otherwise?) the resource combinations are. Once that has been done, and I can see a little more support for the map, then I expect that the map will be ready to move ahead into the main foundry.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Hotdoggie on Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:20 am

I tried this map about a year ago for exactly the same reason but mine was the small amount of territories version...love the way you've made it with the ships and such...gl cairns [like you need it...your a map making freak of nature!!]
PERSONAL BEST...
Score: 2802
Place: 120
Date: 16 / 2 / 2009
Lieutenant Hotdoggie

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:52 pm

Hotdoggie wrote:I tried this map about a year ago for exactly the same reason but mine was the small amount of territories version...love the way you've made it with the ships and such...gl cairns [like you need it...your a map making freak of nature!!]

thanks Hotdoggie....i thought it might seem more interesting with the various invaders. :)
Private cairnswk

Re: Jamaica V8

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:02 pm

Current Version 8 below.

Last edited by cairnswk on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Re: Jamaica V8(P5) - Connectivity

Postby sailorseal on Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:41 pm

The text feels kind of blurry can you sharpen it? Great map! and the swords still look fuzzy...
Cook sailorseal

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:58 pm

sailorseal wrote:The text feels kind of blurry can you sharpen it?
no. please get your eyes checked. it's as sharp as it's going to get.

and the swords still look fuzzy...

i know, and if someone keeps harping on about them again, i'll do my bloody nana!!!
Private cairnswk

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:03 pm

cairnswk wrote:
sailorseal wrote:The text feels kind of blurry can you sharpen it?
no. please get your eyes checked. it's as sharp as it's going to get.

and the swords still look fuzzy...

i know, and if someone keeps harping on about them again, i'll do my bloody nana!!!

I think the text is fine.

Cairns, did you know that the swords are blurry? ;)
Yeah, I kinda just wanted to see what a "bloody nana" was
Really, this map is looking good. I can't quite wrap my head around the gameplay (as in, whether the bonuses are appropriate or not), but I think this should be in the main foundry now where eyes better than mine can pick it apart for gameplay.

I like the rearrangement of the legend a lot. I'm not crazy about the title/legend font, though. To me it looks more Arabic than Caribbean. You could probably find something better, but this is a relatively minor issue.
Captain ZeakCytho

Re: Jamaica V8

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:18 pm

Current Version 8 below.

Private cairnswk

Re: Jamaica V8(P5) - Gameplay??

Postby MrBenn on Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:07 pm

OK, so some of my niggles have been addressed... but the priority absolutely has to be getting some analysis of the gameplay... Cairns, you know your thoughts and the map better than anybody else... what's your opinion?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby sailorseal on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:06 pm

Just looking at it, it's kind of dull looking... (I mean colors not game play)
Cook sailorseal

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:31 pm

sailorseal wrote:Just looking at it, it's kind of dull looking... (I mean colors not game play)

since this is not standard bonus structure, there is no need for colored regions. i quite like the way it looks, it looks like a physical map of the island
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby cairnswk on Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:00 pm

sailorseal wrote:Just looking at it, it's kind of dull looking... (I mean colors not game play)

sailorseal....as a good contribution to the mapping foundry at large, it has been mentioned many times before on various other map threads that when one makes a comment, if someone doesn't like something, it would be very helpful and indeed a positive if the commenter would make some suggestion as to what they would like to see. Please don't hesitate to say so with your colours challenge.
Currently the colours will be heading towards
but gameplay has to be sorted out first, and indeed if you notice the thread topic which mentions "Gameplay???" you might see that i require comments on Gameplay.....(hint hint) ;) please pretty please
Private cairnswk

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:15 pm

Do the ports connect via dotted lines? If so, wouldn't I, as Bristol, just have to win 6v3,3 (port maria, st. ann's bay), then possibly another 3 (liverpool) to eliminate someone? Not saying it's a smart move, nor probable, but it could happen.

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby tlane on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:03 am

I have a few comments for the map right now, and i really like how it is coming

One thing i think you should change is the size of some of the icons, Specifically the cobs and the coffee, i would just make them a little bit bigger.

Maybe i haven't read enough of this and it is not that important, but why are there giant 3's in the army circles. Shouldn't there be 88's if anything.

That's all I have for now, I like this map a lot

tlane
Private tlane

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas