Jamaica

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Jamaica - [D] V9(P7) - Gameplay??

Postby cairnswk on Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:47 pm

captainwalrus wrote:What is the "gold" that it talks about in the bonus description. It doesn't mention it in the resourse descriptions. Either that or I'm pretty stupid and it is probably just right there on the map, but if it is, please tell me.

Cobs?
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Re: Jamaica - [D] V10(P8) - Gameplay??

Postby cairnswk on Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:16 pm

sailorseal wrote:Maybe in the legend make it instead of 1 slave + 1 cattle
1 :D +1 :) =+5 bonus or something along those lines to incorporate the symbols.

OK that is a graphic thing, can you remind me about it later please.

Spain would have a major advantage do to the fact it is the farthest from the other starting positions. Maybe try and equalize the distance a little or increase the size of the neutrals in between them.
Not sure what you mean here.

I am not sure where London connects to because in the legend for Port Royal it is not mentioned.

Fixed on version 10

I would also like to see an auto deploy on each ship and maybe some other auto deploy bonuses.

Can you explain why please.

I would like to see the river color match the water color. ... Maybe more mountains?

Graphic thing...please remind me again later.

sailorseal wrote:
The Neon Peon wrote:Suggestion: ports do not connect

Why would I go for a bonus if the person right next to me will simply take me along with that bonus?

This would mean that there are simply more territories between people and that people would actually venture into the map without the fear that the people on their sides will take them out after you weaken yourself on neutrals.

In a sense I agree, the starting positions in my opinion are to easily reached from one another

Between port routes removed in version 10.
I'm not really happy with this as it makes sense that ships can move between the ports.
I guess now also, the notation that forts can attack pirates will have to be removed, because the pirates can only attack their home ports.
Also, pirates not being able to attack the colonials doesn't make sense.

Suggestion: What if we put all the port routes back and the pirate/fort attack routes, and made the home ports starting positions also, so that on your very first turn, nobody can attack you anyways, and you get a chance to fort to your home port from your ship to give you extra armies when someone tries to attack you.

We could also have any tert that is not a coastal one start in random drop.

Anyways, version 10 is below to show what the map looks like without the port-port attack routes.

Private cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby sailorseal on Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:22 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Spain would have a major advantage do to the fact it is the farthest from the other starting positions. Maybe try and equalize the distance a little or increase the size of the neutrals in between them.
Not sure what you mean here.
Spain has the most number of territs in between it and the other ships. This gives the player a bigger shield of nuetrals and they can spread out further with less worry of attack

I would also like to see an auto deploy on each ship and maybe some other auto deploy bonuses.

If all the territories start neutral, like The Age of realms Maps and Feudal War I think it should also have an auto deploy because the ship is sort of each players "home base" and it should be the hardest thing to take from them
Cook sailorseal

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:54 pm

sailorseal wrote:...
Spain has the most number of territs in between it and the other ships. This gives the player a bigger shield of nuetrals and they can spread out further with less worry of attack

OK let's analyse this after the sea routes have been taken away.

Spain to Henry Morgan: 8
Spain to Calico Jack: 6
Spain to Liverpool: 7
Spain to Blackbeard: 7
Spain to Bristol: 10
Spain to France: 10
Spain to London: 13
Liverpool to Henry Morgan: 7
Liverpool to Calico Jack: 6
Liverpool to Blackbeard: 5
Liverpool to London: 10
Liverpool to Bristol: 6
Liverpool to France: 6
France to London: 7
France to Blackbeard: 7
France to Calico Jack: 9
France to Henry Morgan: 11
London to Henry Morgan: 15

From the above data, Spain is only as close as her nearest neighbours, but LIverpool to Blackbeard is closest going across the island. I wouldn't say Spain has any more advantage begin far distant from certain terts than they are from others. :)

If all the territories start neutral, like The Age of realms Maps and Feudal War I think it should also have an auto deploy because the ship is sort of each players "home base" and it should be the hardest thing to take from them
[/quote]
OK, let's see what others think of this also. :)
Private cairnswk

Re: Jamaica [D] V10(P9) - Gameplay discussion please

Postby Teflon Kris on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:45 am

Forgive me if this has been clariied earlier but, do players gain the ordinary +3 per turn (minimum)? Is it envisaged that players take a port on their second turn (unless they try their luck with 6 against 7)? I think this is where the ship auto-deploy might be worth considering perhaps?

Regarding London's position, it looks to have a mix of advantages and disadvantages - further to attack other players which also means other players have to go further to attack London, although there seem to be more slaves able to attack London, so, in the short term, easy to defend, in the long term, harder to defend. Differences are valid anyway: in spread 'drop' games, different drops give different advantages and in many starting position games, each have different geography (e.g.New World). Having perfectly equal starting points might appeal to feudal war-sters but is not necessary for a good game. Looking at the above analysis, London's position is different and any advantage/disadvantage is minor.

Overall, it looks like the gameplay has a nice blend of starting position strategy and resource-bonuses.

I like the incorporation of the political and economic features, the map is certainly more than the link suggested above.
Major Teflon Kris

Medals: 175
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (4)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30)
General Achievement (15) Clan Achievement (20) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (8)

Postby tlane on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:04 pm

I have not read anything yet so people may have said this.

1. can you make the swords less blurry.
2. Could you make the coffee on "Gordon town" bigger, it is hard to see
3. Could you clear up the numbers on Gealoon Harbor, i realize it is that 4 but could you maybe move it closer to the land.

Those are my quick observations, but i will be back soon to comment on gameplay.

tlane
Private tlane

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby cairnswk on Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:45 pm

DJ Teflon wrote:Forgive me if this has been clariied earlier but, do players gain the ordinary +3 per turn (minimum)? Is it envisaged that players take a port on their second turn (unless they try their luck with 6 against 7)? I think this is where the ship auto-deploy might be worth considering perhaps?

OK, what do others think about this? It could be worthwhile :)

....Overall, it looks like the gameplay has a nice blend of starting position strategy and resource-bonuses.
I like the incorporation of the political and economic features, the map is certainly more than the link suggested above.

Yes, something a little different yet again. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:46 pm

tlane wrote:I have not read anything yet so people may have said this.

1. can you make the swords less blurry.
2. Could you make the coffee on "Gordon town" bigger, it is hard to see
3. Could you clear up the numbers on Gealoon Harbor, i realize it is that 4 but could you maybe move it closer to the land.

Those are my quick observations, but i will be back soon to comment on gameplay.

tlane

The imagery cxan be attended to, but still waiting on your gameplay observations :?:
Private cairnswk

Postby TaCktiX on Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:20 pm

I think that the 7 neutral is completely unnecessary. Everyone has to break it to hit the Island by my understanding (I read the map), which coincidentally holds all bonuses. If the neutral is knocked down to something reasonable considering that that is every player's gateway to the map, then an autodeploy will be rendered unnecessary as well.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Postby sailorseal on Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:22 pm

TaCktiX wrote:I think that the 7 neutral is completely unnecessary. Everyone has to break it to hit the Island by my understanding (I read the map), which coincidentally holds all bonuses. If the neutral is knocked down to something reasonable considering that that is every player's gateway to the map, then an autodeploy will be rendered unnecessary as well.

I think the auto depoy evens it out and "Do I go for it or do I wait to keep getting the auto?" is a fun question to have to ask yourself during the game
Cook sailorseal

Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (3)

Postby TaCktiX on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:00 pm

sailorseal wrote:I think the auto depoy evens it out and "Do I go for it or do I wait to keep getting the auto?" is a fun question to have to ask yourself during the game

The problem is that you have to make that decision from Round 1, which really isn't much fun at all.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (6)

Postby iancanton on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:09 am

TaCktiX wrote:
sailorseal wrote:I think the auto depoy evens it out and "Do I go for it or do I wait to keep getting the auto?" is a fun question to have to ask yourself during the game

The problem is that you have to make that decision from Round 1, which really isn't much fun at all.

true in unlimited forts, but the decision must be made every turn in adjacent forts.

two further observations: port morant seems to have no function at all, now that the ports don't connect, and i'd reduce the neutrals on the non-strategic non-important territories like st albans to only 1, since there's virtually no reason to take them otherwise.

cairnswk wrote:
captainwalrus wrote:What is the "gold" that it talks about in the bonus description. It doesn't mention it in the resourse descriptions. Either that or I'm pretty stupid and it is probably just right there on the map, but if it is, please tell me.

Cobs?

not everyone will associate cobs with gold (except by elimination), unless u call them gold cobs.

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 52
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (7) General Contribution (13)

Postby cairnswk on Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:34 pm

DJ Teflon wrote:Forgive me if this has been clariied earlier but, do players gain the ordinary +3 per turn (minimum)? Is it envisaged that players take a port on their second turn (unless they try their luck with 6 against 7)? I think this is where the ship auto-deploy might be worth considering perhaps?

OK seems as though people are in favour of auto-deploy on the ships.
.... London's position is different and any advantage/disadvantage is minor.
Overall, it looks like the gameplay has a nice blend of starting position strategy and resource-bonuses.

Thanks DJ Teflon :)
Private cairnswk

Re: Jamaica V9(P7) - Gameplay??

Postby cairnswk on Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:49 pm

manstrong wrote:Where is Port Royal located? And why do some ports have 7 and some have 4/0? Just wondering as I try to understand. :)

Port Royal is the area between Fort Rupert and Warehouses.
7 was the neutral amount allocated to the port, but this being reduced to 5.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:50 pm

TaCktiX wrote:I think that the 7 neutral is completely unnecessary. Everyone has to break it to hit the Island by my understanding (I read the map), which coincidentally holds all bonuses. If the neutral is knocked down to something reasonable considering that that is every player's gateway to the map, then an autodeploy will be rendered unnecessary as well.

OK, how about we make it 5 neutrals.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:55 pm

iancanton wrote:
TaCktiX wrote:

true in unlimited forts, but the decision must be made every turn in adjacent forts.

two further observations: port morant seems to have no function at all, now that the ports don't connect, and i'd reduce the neutrals on the non-strategic non-important territories like st albans to only 1, since there's virtually no reason to take them otherwise.

Port Morant removed as port.
How about i add a slave to St Albans to make it worthwhile again.

cairnswk wrote:

Cobs?

not everyone will associate cobs with gold (except by elimination), unless u call them gold cobs.

Changed to Gold Cobs.
Private cairnswk

Re: Jamaica [D] V11

Postby cairnswk on Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:51 pm

Version 11 below
Main Change is the legend font...to DickensScript font.

Private cairnswk

Re: Jamaica [D] V11(P10) - Bonus discussion please

Postby aequitas08 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:17 pm

Perhaps a bonus involving the forts, for example 1 maroon + 1 fort = +1, or a similar bonus that would give players on the east side a bonus similar to the maroons on the west, all forts + port morant = +2.
This is would make the forts more interesting, the examples i gave were just quick thoughts.

Great work progressing this map, it looks outstanding ... i'm ready to play.
-aequitas08
Corporal 1st Class aequitas08

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby iancanton on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:45 am

cairnswk wrote:
iancanton wrote:two further observations: port morant seems to have no function at all, now that the ports don't connect, and i'd reduce the neutrals on the non-strategic non-important territories like st albans to only 1, since there's virtually no reason to take them otherwise.

that works well. what will u do with the ex-ports (port morant and galleon harbour)?

Brigadier iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (7) General Contribution (13)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:20 am

iancanton wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
iancanton wrote:two further observations: port morant seems to have no function at all, now that the ports don't connect, and i'd reduce the neutrals on the non-strategic non-important territories like st albans to only 1, since there's virtually no reason to take them otherwise.

that works well. what will u do with the ex-ports (port morant and galleon harbour)?

Bumbo for Galleon Harbour. Cattle for Port Morant perhaps?
Private cairnswk

Postby iancanton on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:01 am

nothing wrong with cattle and bumbo. there's no current reason for newtown to have 3 neutrals, since players can sidestep it easily without loss of time. what can we put there for the best balance?

Brigadier iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby tlane on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:09 am

iancanton wrote:there's no current reason for newtown to have 3 neutrals, since players can sidestep it easily without loss of time. what can we put there for the best balance?

what about putting cattle on newtown, just an idea
Private tlane

Medals: 12
Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Jamaica [D] V12

Postby cairnswk on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:09 pm

1. Some new resources to fill up Kingston
2. Moved some of the Port Royal names around

Private cairnswk

Re: Jamaica [D] V12(P10) - Bonus discussion please

Postby sailorseal on Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:32 pm

I would like to see the Bonus Legend use symbols instead of words
Cook sailorseal

Re: Jamaica [D] V12(P10) - Bonus discussion please

Postby cairnswk on Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:57 pm

sailorseal wrote:I would like to see the Bonus Legend use symbols instead of words

OK, i can do that.
But let's look at what the actual bonuses are, and can they be changed for betterment :idea:
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas