Jamaica

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Jamaica V3 - Pirates/Colonials added

Postby InkL0sed on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:08 pm

I like the map idea, but I liked the previous version's game play better.

Graphics are definitely an improvement though.
User avatar
Lieutenant InkL0sed
 
Posts: 2379
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:06 pm
Location: underwater
Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Re: Jamaica V3 - Pirates/Colonials added

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:00 am

I think Jamaica should just be classic style...

Also i think it should be a LOT more saturated, and more like the flag colors.

[bigimg]http://www.internationaleducationmedia.com/jamaica/jamaica_flag.jpg
Image
Last edited by Kaplowitz on Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Doin' it for da lulz.
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Re: Jamaica V3 - Pirates/Colonials added

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:01 am

Kaplowitz wrote:I think Jamaica should just be classic style...

Also i think it should be a LOT more saturated, and more like the flag colors.
....

Kap...the colours i might do, but classic it will not be. ;)
Oh and can you down-size that huge flag, it's hogging my thread.
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11492
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Re: Jamaica V3

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:26 pm

Current Version 3

Image
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11492
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Re: Jamaica V3 - Pirates/Colonials added

Postby The Neon Peon on Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:52 pm

Starting to look a lot better.

I am kind of confused on gameplay... what are the starting positions? If they are the ships, then why can they bombard each other?
User avatar
Lieutenant The Neon Peon
 
Posts: 2342
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:49 pm
Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3)

Re: Jamaica V4

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:22 pm

The Neon Peon wrote:Starting to look a lot better.

I am kind of confused on gameplay... what are the starting positions? If they are the ships, then why can they bombard each other?

Whoops, wasn't thinking there was I?
Fixed below in....Version 4

Image
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11492
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Re: Jamaica V3 - Pirates/Colonials added

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:41 pm

I'm not sold on the colour-scheme, which doesn't feel very Jamaican (colonial or otherwise).

The inset maps are fairly confusing, and it is not very obvious how they fit into (ie connect) the map.
Image
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
User avatar
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member
 
Posts: 7049
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:32 am
Location: Off Duty
Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Re: Jamaica V3 - Pirates/Colonials added

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:44 pm

MrBenn wrote:....
The inset maps are fairly confusing, and it is not very obvious how they fit into (ie connect) the map.

Are you going blind man?
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11492
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Re: Jamaica V3 - Pirates/Colonials added

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:46 pm

It's much better now, but I'd move Kingston name left a bit.

.44
User avatar
Major the.killing.44
 
Posts: 4737
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Re: Jamaica V3 - Pirates/Colonials added

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:47 pm

cairnswk wrote:
MrBenn wrote:....
The inset maps are fairly confusing, and it is not very obvious how they fit into (ie connect) the map.

Are you going blind man?

I know how they fit - I'm just saying it's not obvious.
Image
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
User avatar
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member
 
Posts: 7049
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:32 am
Location: Off Duty
Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Re: Jamaica V3 - Pirates/Colonials added

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:51 pm

pls, this map is starting to turn into a fave of mine, try saturating the colors a lot, i would prefer standard bonuses, and gameplay, but that i guess is your call
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:09 pm
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Jamaica V3 - Pirates/Colonials added

Postby The Neon Peon on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:27 pm

Swords are a bit blurry on the insets.

And if all ships border all posts, doesn't that mean you just attack a port then a ship? And then in an assassin, first person to move wins, yet in a 2 players, first person to attack a port exposes themselves and loses.

Perhaps the starting points might not border each other, and not be one territory away from each other, but several territories away?
User avatar
Lieutenant The Neon Peon
 
Posts: 2342
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:49 pm
Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (3)

Re: Jamaica V3 - Pirates/Colonials added

Postby oaktown on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:54 pm

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:i would prefer standard bonuses, and gameplay, but that i guess is your call

I think we have plenty of standard gameplay maps, but this one just seems a bit too Age of Merchants. I know, AoM is based on the history of places like Jamaica, but this is a lot of gameplay info for a map idea that isn't entirely original.

(Sorry for my pessimism, but I keep opening up maps that are at least 40% legend... what gives?)
User avatar
Captain oaktown
 
Posts: 4552
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:24 pm
Location: majorcommand
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Re: Jamaica V3 - Pirates/Colonials added

Postby cairnswk on Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:06 am

MrBenn wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
MrBenn wrote:....
The inset maps are fairly confusing, and it is not very obvious how they fit into (ie connect) the map.

Are you going blind man?

I know how they fit - I'm just saying it's not obvious.

Well i am all open to suggestions as to how to make it more obvious...i would have thought it was quite obvious from the dotted attack lines. :)
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11492
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Re: Jamaica V3 - Pirates/Colonials added

Postby cairnswk on Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:22 am

the.killing.44 wrote:It's much better now, but I'd move Kingston name left a bit.
.44


Cool!

MrBenn wrote:I'm not sold on the colour-scheme, which doesn't feel very Jamaican (colonial or otherwise)....

And what would be the colours for Jamaica or otherwise Mr Benn?

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:pls, this map is starting to turn into a fave of mine, try saturating the colors a lot, i would prefer standard bonuses, and gameplay, but that i guess is your call


LZ, i'm going to attempt some terraforming for this map...just give me some time. As for gameplay, there was a negative input for a small standard map, so it is changed.

The Neon Peon wrote:Swords are a bit blurry on the insets.
And if all ships border all posts, doesn't that mean you just attack a port then a ship? And then in an assassin, first person to move wins, yet in a 2 players, first person to attack a port exposes themselves and loses.
Perhaps the starting points might not border each other, and not be one territory away from each other, but several territories away?

Swords are not finished yet, i put them up to see the reception to link into a pirate theme...
Any other suggestions for starting terts to alter the suggested gameplay TNP?...that would make sense.

oaktown wrote:.... but this one just seems a bit too Age of Merchants. I know, AoM is based on the history of places like Jamaica, but this is a lot of gameplay info for a map idea that isn't entirely original.
(Sorry for my pessimism, but I keep opening up maps that are at least 40% legend... what gives?)


Oh dear you poor thing...you've been having a terrible time in the Drafts, haven't you?
Who says that AoM can't be the only one of it's type. Perhaps you should look more positively at what i am trying to do here, and that is to:
a. give us a J map
b. find a theme that works well for this island - that being resources and pirates and it's colonial history
c. because it ain't got much else apart from being a small standard play map which nobody seemed to want.
d. satisfy the need for something pirates on a map that is and isn't linked too closely to that other pirate theme that is doing the rounds these days on the movie screen.

Do be honest, oaktown, i think you're all getting a bit too hoity-toity and about what can and can't be done on this site. I haven't yet heard lackattack knocking on my door saying enough is enough...and i thought he was the owner.
If Gimil and edbeard can get some minimalist map into the foundry, then i don't see why you're being so negative about my attempts for variety. :)
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11492
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Re: Jamaica V3 - Pirates/Colonials added

Postby MrBenn on Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:18 am

cairnswk wrote:
MrBenn wrote:I'm not sold on the colour-scheme, which doesn't feel very Jamaican (colonial or otherwise)....

And what would be the colours for Jamaica or otherwise Mr Benn?

Image
Image
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
User avatar
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member
 
Posts: 7049
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:32 am
Location: Off Duty
Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Re: Jamaica V3 - Pirates/Colonials added

Postby cairnswk on Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:21 am

MrBenn wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
MrBenn wrote:I'm not sold on the colour-scheme, which doesn't feel very Jamaican (colonial or otherwise)....

And what would be the colours for Jamaica or otherwise Mr Benn?

Image

OK, that's nicely positive. i'll see what i can do
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11492
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Re: Jamaica V3 - Pirates/Colonials added

Postby MrBenn on Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:12 pm

I realised that I forgot to give this to you before:

[Advanced Draft]
Image
Image
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
User avatar
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member
 
Posts: 7049
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:32 am
Location: Off Duty
Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Re: Jamaica V3 - Pirates/Colonials added

Postby cairnswk on Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:11 pm

Shit, i didn't expect that. :o
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11492
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Re: Jamaica V3 - Pirates/Colonials added

Postby captainwalrus on Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:29 pm

Three drafts and it is already and advanced draft?! :-s
User avatar
Private 1st Class captainwalrus
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:19 pm
Location: Finnmark
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Jamaica V3 - Pirates/Colonials added

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:56 pm

captainwalrus wrote:Three drafts and it is already and advanced draft?! :-s

to get a draft stamp, only two quality drafts are required
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:09 pm
Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Jamaica V3 - Pirates/Colonials added

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:58 pm

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:
captainwalrus wrote:Three drafts and it is already and advanced draft?! :-s

to get a draft stamp, only two quality drafts are required

That's not what he was saying … this map got Adv. Draft mighty quick :-k

.44
User avatar
Major the.killing.44
 
Posts: 4737
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Re: Jamaica V3 - Pirates/Colonials added

Postby ZeakCytho on Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:00 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:
LED ZEPPELINER wrote:
captainwalrus wrote:Three drafts and it is already and advanced draft?! :-s

to get a draft stamp, only two quality drafts are required

That's not what he was saying … this map got Adv. Draft mighty quick :-k

.44


Quite frankly, the first three drafts of this map are better than a lot of what's in the drafting room now, which is why it advanced so quickly.
User avatar
Captain ZeakCytho
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:36 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Jamaica V3 - Pirates/Colonials added

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:01 pm

Oh, I'm not arguing — great job cairns. But I think that Trafalgar's was better and that didn't get here as quick … just MHO.

.44
User avatar
Major the.killing.44
 
Posts: 4737
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Re: Jamaica V5

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:34 pm

These Version 5 changes are not complete yet....i'm putting this up as i have to go out for a few hours...so just a little preview

Image
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11492
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Login