Conquer Club

Jamaica

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Jamaica V8(P5) - Connectivity

Postby sailorseal on Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:41 pm

The text feels kind of blurry can you sharpen it? Great map! and the swords still look fuzzy...
Cook sailorseal

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:58 pm

sailorseal wrote:The text feels kind of blurry can you sharpen it?
no. please get your eyes checked. it's as sharp as it's going to get.

and the swords still look fuzzy...

i know, and if someone keeps harping on about them again, i'll do my bloody nana!!!
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:03 pm

cairnswk wrote:
sailorseal wrote:The text feels kind of blurry can you sharpen it?
no. please get your eyes checked. it's as sharp as it's going to get.

and the swords still look fuzzy...

i know, and if someone keeps harping on about them again, i'll do my bloody nana!!!

I think the text is fine.

Cairns, did you know that the swords are blurry? ;)
Yeah, I kinda just wanted to see what a "bloody nana" was
Really, this map is looking good. I can't quite wrap my head around the gameplay (as in, whether the bonuses are appropriate or not), but I think this should be in the main foundry now where eyes better than mine can pick it apart for gameplay.

I like the rearrangement of the legend a lot. I'm not crazy about the title/legend font, though. To me it looks more Arabic than Caribbean. You could probably find something better, but this is a relatively minor issue.
Captain ZeakCytho

Re: Jamaica V8

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:18 pm

Current Version 8 below.

Private cairnswk

Re: Jamaica V8(P5) - Gameplay??

Postby MrBenn on Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:07 pm

OK, so some of my niggles have been addressed... but the priority absolutely has to be getting some analysis of the gameplay... Cairns, you know your thoughts and the map better than anybody else... what's your opinion?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby sailorseal on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:06 pm

Just looking at it, it's kind of dull looking... (I mean colors not game play)
Cook sailorseal

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:31 pm

sailorseal wrote:Just looking at it, it's kind of dull looking... (I mean colors not game play)

since this is not standard bonus structure, there is no need for colored regions. i quite like the way it looks, it looks like a physical map of the island
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby cairnswk on Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:00 pm

sailorseal wrote:Just looking at it, it's kind of dull looking... (I mean colors not game play)

sailorseal....as a good contribution to the mapping foundry at large, it has been mentioned many times before on various other map threads that when one makes a comment, if someone doesn't like something, it would be very helpful and indeed a positive if the commenter would make some suggestion as to what they would like to see. Please don't hesitate to say so with your colours challenge.
Currently the colours will be heading towards
but gameplay has to be sorted out first, and indeed if you notice the thread topic which mentions "Gameplay???" you might see that i require comments on Gameplay.....(hint hint) ;) please pretty please
Private cairnswk

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:15 pm

Do the ports connect via dotted lines? If so, wouldn't I, as Bristol, just have to win 6v3,3 (port maria, st. ann's bay), then possibly another 3 (liverpool) to eliminate someone? Not saying it's a smart move, nor probable, but it could happen.

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby tlane on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:03 am

I have a few comments for the map right now, and i really like how it is coming

One thing i think you should change is the size of some of the icons, Specifically the cobs and the coffee, i would just make them a little bit bigger.

Maybe i haven't read enough of this and it is not that important, but why are there giant 3's in the army circles. Shouldn't there be 88's if anything.

That's all I have for now, I like this map a lot

tlane
Private tlane

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:08 am

tlane wrote:Maybe i haven't read enough of this and it is not that important, but why are there giant 3's in the army circles. Shouldn't there be 88's if anything.

There will be 3 neu there.

The baccy in Marlle and Maroon Town is almost invisible.

Captain the.killing.44

Postby cairnswk on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:39 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:Do the ports connect via dotted lines? If so, wouldn't I, as Bristol, just have to win 6v3,3 (port maria, st. ann's bay), then possibly another 3 (liverpool) to eliminate someone? Not saying it's a smart move, nor probable, but it could happen.

OK. do we need to bump the ports up to 5 neutral?

tlane wrote:I have a few comments for the map right now, and i really like how it is coming
One thing i think you should change is the size of some of the icons, Specifically the cobs and the coffee, i would just make them a little bit bigger.
Maybe i haven't read enough of this and it is not that important, but why are there giant 3's in the army circles. Shouldn't there be 88's if anything.
That's all I have for now, I like this map a lot
tlane

Yes i can do that, but i'm after game play suggestions at present please.
Private cairnswk

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:46 pm

cairnswk wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:Do the ports connect via dotted lines? If so, wouldn't I, as Bristol, just have to win 6v3,3 (port maria, st. ann's bay), then possibly another 3 (liverpool) to eliminate someone? Not saying it's a smart move, nor probable, but it could happen.

OK. do we need to bump the ports up to 5 neutral?

I'd say so, but in a 5+p game nothing would happen in the first round. That might not really be a bad thing, though. Just delay the game 1 round. 4neu?

Right now I'm thinking about London … does it have a disadvantage? I mean, the resources are there, and it does have that roue to Galleon Harbor and P. Morant, but that's an extra 3 neutrals to get through just to be one territory away from being adjacent to another ship … :-k

Is the Church its own territory?

Captain the.killing.44

Postby tlane on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:55 pm

One idea for game play would be to have an auto-deploy on the home ports(the places where the people start), like a 3 person auto deploy. Or you could have a 3 or 4 person bonus, for each home port, which each player would get automatically

if this is already in the map, sorry i re-said it
tlane
Private tlane

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:31 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:...
I'd say so, but in a 5+p game nothing would happen in the first round. That might not really be a bad thing, though. Just delay the game 1 round. 4neu?

4 is OK also, but if it is a 5, some players might have better luck than others with the dice and this might also cause a slight advantage for some players.

Right now I'm thinking about London … does it have a disadvantage? I mean, the resources are there, and it does have that roue to Galleon Harbor and P. Morant, but that's an extra 3 neutrals to get through just to be one territory away from being adjacent to another ship … :-k

doesn't London have an advantage of not being attacked straight away as you stated above.
if london having that advantage, then perhaps GH and PM need to be lowered as far as neutrals go?

Is the Church its own territory?

yes. should there be a bonus surrounding that?
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:36 pm

tlane wrote:One idea for game play would be to have an auto-deploy on the home ports(the places where the people start), like a 3 person auto deploy. Or you could have a 3 or 4 person bonus, for each home port, which each player would get automatically

tlane

OK, that's a reasonable suggestion, and no it hasn't been suggested...good on you.
The only thing with that, is the auto-deploy would not be allocated until next round. That would still leave the port vulnerable if the player having the next turn is homed at a neighbouring port. :)
I could be wrong here, but i think that's the way auto-deploys work.
Private cairnswk

Re: Jamaica V8

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:37 pm

Current Version 8 below.

Private cairnswk

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:20 pm

will you make the swords less blurry, i think it will look better
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby ghirrindin on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:42 pm

In the inset map, you're missing a border between Stony Hill and Gordon Town.

Has this been mentioned already? Or, are you still figuring out the gameplay in regards to this detail?
Sergeant ghirrindin

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:45 pm

ghirrindin wrote:In the inset map, you're missing a border between Stony Hill and Gordon Town.

Has this been mentioned already? Or, are you still figuring out the gameplay in regards to this detail?

i don 't think that it matters that much, i mean those names are just there so people can find where the inset map actually is on the real map, the border i feel is not such a big deal
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby ghirrindin on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:55 pm

Oh, ok. So both Greenwich Town and Newtown each border both Stony Hill and Gordon Town? I understand that Fort Augusta borders Stony Hill.

Sorry. I'm just a little confused.

Otherwise, the map looks very good.
Sergeant ghirrindin

Postby tlane on Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:10 pm

cairnswk wrote:
tlane wrote:One idea for game play would be to have an auto-deploy on the home ports(the places where the people start), like a 3 person auto deploy. Or you could have a 3 or 4 person bonus, for each home port, which each player would get automatically

tlane

OK, that's a reasonable suggestion, and no it hasn't been suggested...good on you.
The only thing with that, is the auto-deploy would not be allocated until next round. That would still leave the port vulnerable if the player having the next turn is homed at a neighbouring port. :)
I could be wrong here, but i think that's the way auto-deploys work.

Yes, you are right (i think).
One idea that could maybe fix that, is if the ports, that the home ports have to attack to go anywhere, started with like eight, and then that would force the players to wait to the second or third round to attack, even with the auto-deploy

hope that helps
tlane
Private tlane

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:53 pm

Looking at the map quickly, I spot a couple things.

For one, I think the auto-deploy — which is a good idea — should only be two and should be limited to the ships. From there, somewhere from 4-7 neutrals on the ports seem fine; 3+2+3=7 max, and in a large game 7v4-7is way too much of a gamble. The problem I see comes after that, where you say "Coastal slaves can attack ships). That's fine and all, but I suggest you keep the coastal slaves non-adjacent to the ports. From Liverpool, e.g., St. Anne's Bay to Dry Harbor, which has a slave, is only relatively good dice from eliminating any player across the board. This also takes away the problem of more neutrals on ports, as the slaves are still 3 and for Liverpool the same amount of territories but 1-3 less neutrals to beat. So, I say either/both keep the slaves away from the coast and/or make them 4 neutrals.

That leads to the other point, which is the disadvantage given to London. The nearest slave is 3 territories minimum away from the Port, while all other ships only have to go through 1-2.

Captain the.killing.44

Postby cairnswk on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:59 pm

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:will you make the swords less blurry, i think it will look better

Yes, but give up on them for now will you, i'm trying to get the gameplay sorted. I can do the swords later. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:01 pm

ghirrindin wrote:In the inset map, you're missing a border between Stony Hill and Gordon Town.

Aygh me hearty! Here's for a tot of Bumbo and a couple of cobs....i'll fix that 'un for ye fur sure, but still amassing ye gameplay :lol:
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas