Conquer Club

Central America [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Central America [D] V3 up!!

Postby Incandenza on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:35 am

Before we start going nuts with the long-range attack routes, could we perhaps discuss noting said routes with some sort of icon rather than long dotted lines?
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby lgoasklucyl on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:17 pm

Incandenza wrote:Before we start going nuts with the long-range attack routes, could we perhaps discuss noting said routes with some sort of icon rather than long dotted lines?

I liked the dotted lines better, personally. I could try icons out in the next version and poll to see what everyone thinks.
Sergeant 1st Class lgoasklucyl

Postby sailorseal on Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:34 pm

I think the Nicaragua bonus is to small. It can be assaulted from many territories and has a large border. Also in a 1v1 game one player might be able to start out with a pretty good bonus. I have no ideas on how to change that but you should keep that in mind. I like this map a lot! Keep at it!
Cook sailorseal

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:46 pm

sailorseal wrote:I think the Nicaragua bonus is to small. It can be assaulted from many territories and has a large border. Also in a 1v1 game one player might be able to start out with a pretty good bonus. I have no ideas on how to change that but you should keep that in mind. I like this map a lot! Keep at it!

No gameplay discussion ā€¦Ā it's already been handled. The comp was for the graphics, no?

Anyway, great job on the comp! I love the new compass and the text looks great. My only quarrel is the dotted lines ā€” like someone said before they are too bumpy. Oh, and I think making the title a bit brighter would suit the map better, as well as making the yellow on the gradient of the sigs not as bright.

I'd start work on the small v ā€” naming might be a bit difficult.

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby lgoasklucyl on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:34 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:
sailorseal wrote:I think the Nicaragua bonus is to small. It can be assaulted from many territories and has a large border. Also in a 1v1 game one player might be able to start out with a pretty good bonus. I have no ideas on how to change that but you should keep that in mind. I like this map a lot! Keep at it!

No gameplay discussion ā€¦Ā it's already been handled. The comp was for the graphics, no?

Anyway, great job on the comp! I love the new compass and the text looks great. My only quarrel is the dotted lines ā€” like someone said before they are too bumpy. Oh, and I think making the title a bit brighter would suit the map better, as well as making the yellow on the gradient of the sigs not as bright.

I'd start work on the small v ā€” naming might be a bit difficult.

Indeed on both counts. Gameplay was debated and sorted prior to the contest even starting and the small version is going to be a pain in the ass with terit names.

Regarding the lines: next version will have icons and a poll ;)

Postby sailorseal on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:38 pm

The colors don't float my boat. Neither does the texture. I would like to see those changed along with the assault lines.
Cook sailorseal

Postby lgoasklucyl on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:41 pm

sailorseal wrote:The colors don't float my boat. Neither does the texture. I would like to see those changed along with the assault lines.

I haven't had color complaints yet, as most people have stated they like them the way they are. If a huge consensus had a problem I would change them but it's an insane amount of work when most people like them ;)

The texture I've actually contemplated changing, and will be looking into it before the next draft.

Postby ODWO on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:21 pm

Central America: I like it! I was thinking that CA would be an interesting map. Banana Republics!

Also, not sure where to post such a suggestion, but ....

How about a Mexico Map ... or, a Mayan Civilization map .... with that 2012 end of the world thing getting nearer, I'd bet it would be (at least mildly) popular. The Mayans covered a nice chunk of territory in the western hemi.

Sorry if this is out of place. (feel free to move or delete) I'm still opening doors in this place that I've no idea where it will lead. And I LOVE this game. So much better Online.

Thx.
Major ODWO

Postby bryguy on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:40 am

ODWO wrote:Central America: I like it! I was thinking that CA would be an interesting map. Banana Republics!

Also, not sure where to post such a suggestion, but ....

How about a Mexico Map ... or, a Mayan Civilization map .... with that 2012 end of the world thing getting nearer, I'd bet it would be (at least mildly) popular. The Mayans covered a nice chunk of territory in the western hemi.

Sorry if this is out of place. (feel free to move or delete) I'm still opening doors in this place that I've no idea where it will lead. And I LOVE this game. So much better Online.

Thx.

comments on this map go here, ideas for other maps go in the Map Ideas sub-forum :)

don't worry, I made the same mistake at my first visit to the foundry :D

[/offtopic]

1) The name 'Panama' in the minimap is very dark and hard to read because of that
2) I do not care for how the attack routes at a few places go paralel (sp?) to the places that the end/start at. Shouldn't they just get there straight on?
3) The Cayes look like they are floating
4) Its still rough along some places
Corporal bryguy

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:31 pm

on the minimap, try getting rid of the territory borders, and just leave the bonus borders
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby lgoasklucyl on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:55 pm

Sorry about the delay everyone, I've been sick as hell since last week and haven't had the time to fix up the next version :?

I promise it'll be an extra-big update when it comes to make up for it :D

Postby oaktown on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:48 pm

lgoasklucyl wrote:Sorry about the delay everyone, I've been sick as hell since last week and haven't had the time to fix up the next version :?

Keep the flu out of the Foundry... that crap is contagious, and we have work to do. :-#
Captain oaktown

Postby bryguy on Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:41 pm

oaktown wrote:
lgoasklucyl wrote:Sorry about the delay everyone, I've been sick as hell since last week and haven't had the time to fix up the next version :?

Keep the flu out of the Foundry... that crap is contagious, and we have work to do. :-#

get better soon lgoa!

its no fun being sick. Its going through my family right now. I had it last week :-$
Corporal bryguy

Postby oaktown on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:44 am

gameplay thought: what if instead of having sea attack routes on both coasts, we interrupted each route with a territory? "Pacific Shipping Lane" and "Caribbean Shipping Lane" - this would break up the instant top to bottom attacks a bit yet still make those port territories borders.

The text of the territory title could wrap along the attack route lines.
Captain oaktown

Postby lgoasklucyl on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:34 pm

oaktown wrote:gameplay thought: what if instead of having sea attack routes on both coasts, we interrupted each route with a territory? "Pacific Shipping Lane" and "Caribbean Shipping Lane" - this would break up the instant top to bottom attacks a bit yet still make those port territories borders.

Interesting idea. Anyone else have thoughts on it?

I like it personally. The straight-through attack route is kind of an easy movement. Something to stop it would add a bit of challenge.

Postby lgoasklucyl on Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:54 pm

Sickness over- production may continue :D I'm still a little woozy but whatever, life goes on :roll:

bryguy wrote:1) The name 'Panama' in the minimap is very dark and hard to read because of that

I could bump it up to be a little bright and/or drop the opacity of the stroke a little.

bryguy wrote:2) I do not care for how the attack routes at a few places go paralel (sp?) to the places that the end/start at. Shouldn't they just get there straight on?

It's an awkward attack route so I figured moving it with the land would help make it slightly more interesting (goes with the smoothness of the scheme). The attack routes are up for some serious changes coming soon though, as many people aren't happy with them. I'm thinking next version I will have two maps up for polledness (regarding attack routes):
#1) The same dotted lines, but re-drawn using my spifftastic new tablet to make them look neater
#2) Perhaps symbols used instead, as quite a full people have expressed distaste for the current line (though I like them personally :( )
#3) Maybe tack those extra territs in. Perhaps I should poll on that now before pushing out a new version

bryguy wrote:3) The Cayes look like they are floating

I'll find a way to fix this. Unfortunately the drop shadow for the entire image is one layer so perhaps I'll just remove the islands from that layer and do it again.... without making them float above the ocean. I would like to live on a floating island personally... 8-[

bryguy wrote:4) Its still rough along some places

eg: At the Mexico border? If that's what you're referring to I'm going to buff out the whole image and touch up all these things once the colors are 100% set in stone. Unfortunately my bevel layer isn't applied to the colors, but a 0% fill layer over the colors so it's kind of a pain to touch up after repeated changes- so I'll make it 100% after everything is decided.

Thanks =)

Postby Incandenza on Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:37 pm

oaktown wrote:gameplay thought: what if instead of having sea attack routes on both coasts, we interrupted each route with a territory? "Pacific Shipping Lane" and "Caribbean Shipping Lane" - this would break up the instant top to bottom attacks a bit yet still make those port territories borders.

I like it, tho I feel like the whole attack line and shipping lane concept could be tied better into the canal, being the dominant economic fixture of the region...

Colonel Incandenza

Postby oaktown on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:40 am

Incandenza wrote:I feel like the whole attack line and shipping lane concept could be tied better into the canal, being the dominant economic fixture of the region...

I believe I originally had both of the sea routes coming out of the Canal, but it looked as if Panama was going to get whipped around by players from both sides. The proposed introduction of an intermediary territory between the canal and the norther regions might make it viable to have both sea routes hit the canal - that way you could conceivably pass from the northwest oversea through the canal and up to the northeast.

Another interesting notion would to give a +1 sea power bonus for holding the canal and both sea routes... and the sea routes could connect to multiple ports. Hmm... easier to show you what i mean than to explain...

Click image to enlarge.

I obviously did this in about five minutes, so don't take this to be a reflection of what it would look like - I'm just talking about gameplay at this point. Any interest in this idea?

Visualy, I really like the compass rose; however it fails to fit the rest of the map. You've got a bright color palette going , but the compass rose is dull and understated. It shouldn't be the focal point of the map, but it needs some bright highlights and black shadows to fit the rest of the map.
Captain oaktown

Re: Central America [D] Gameplay Poll Up!!!!!

Postby MrBenn on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:19 am

I like the proposed gameplay tweak - it incorporates the Panama Canal nicely, and makes the map a bit more unique ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:21 am

i think that you should make all of your attackroutes the same size/color
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby lgoasklucyl on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:32 am

I like Oaktown's proposed changes.

A lot of the community seems to lose interest in maps based solely on geography and with no (at least remotely) interesting gameplay features. Adding this in would help mix the map up and not turn it into a funnel-fest like Indo or similar maps.

I especially like the +1 for the canal and ports, and the two additional attack-routes to the middle.

Regarding the compass: I can easily add color/resize it to make it more appropriate and fit with the addition of sea routes. Obviously the mini-map will also need to be moved.

Postby lgoasklucyl on Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:19 pm

oaktown wrote:
Click image to enlarge.

Along what lines did you search for the boats? I'm assuming boats are the better way to go as opposed to making up pretend-geography like I had originally thought :lol:

Re: Central America [D] Gameplay Poll Up!!!!! (See P. 3)

Postby Incandenza on Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:16 pm

Those boats look pretty similar to the steamers in oak's eastern hemisphere map.... you might be better off going with modern supertankers or something along those lines.

Plus thi allows you to make the ports an icon, icons attack matching shipping lane, shipping lane attacks all matching ports, good times.

Colonel Incandenza

Postby ben79 on Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:26 pm

the colours of the 2 south regions are too similar i can't make a difference between the 2 please ask a colorblind before putting colours on a map, but that's a nice map you made but those south regions colours are the same to my eyes and i'm sure i'm not the only colorblind person on this site they both look brown to me and the same brown
Lieutenant ben79

Postby lgoasklucyl on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:42 pm

ben79 wrote:the colours of the 2 south regions are too similar i can't make a difference between the 2 please ask a colorblind before putting colours on a map, but that's a nice map you made but those south regions colours are the same to my eyes and i'm sure i'm not the only colorblind person on this site they both look brown to me and the same brown

You're certainly not. It has been raised and will be changed. I'm not red-green so I didn't notice it. I have problems with other colors, but typically not between red and green, it shall be fixed :)

Incandenza wrote:Those boats look pretty similar to the steamers in oak's eastern hemisphere map.... you might be better off going with modern supertankers or something along those lines.

Plus thi allows you to make the ports an icon, icons attack matching shipping lane, shipping lane attacks all matching ports, good times.

Are you saying utilizing the same icon for the boat as the ports? Or rather different ports on either side, and the same boats?

I could use the white tanks/walkways and custom make ports.

Example of something I could use for tanker.

Therefore: Three ports on each side; each port can hit tanker, tanker hits all ports.

Huzzah?

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas