13 Colonies Quenched!

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: 13 Colonies Quenched!

Postby Industrial Helix on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:04 am

I think I originally had a line pointing to both pieces actually.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby DiM on Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:29 am

i'm playing this for the first time and i'm baffled at how poor the bonuses are.
it's completely imbalanced and makes the drop the most important aspect of the game.

you have several colonies with just 1 terit that can be taken and guarded from round 1 if the drop allows you so, while you have other colonies with 4 terits. and the worst fact is that those 1 terit colonies are even grouped close.

in a 1v1 game if somebody gets a good drop in the top half of the map, then he's a sure winner.
and that would not be much of a problem since many maps are imbalanced in 1v1 but this imbalance is very visible even in 6p games.

i'm in a 6p game where most of my terits are in the north/south carolina and georgia colonies. my main force is far away from the attractive connecticut or rhode island so i'm at a big disadvantage. basically somebody could get 2 terits and hold them for a +3 while i'm in a zone where in order to get the same bonus i have to get 6-7 terits with 3-4 borders.

i don;t know if this has been addressed before as i haven't read all 39 pages but it is definitely a big problem and i think the most important indicator that this map has a poor gameplay is the 12k games in almost 2 years. it's one of the least played maps and i think the imbalanced gameplay is the main reason.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:22 am

go for the georgia bonus or
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby DiM on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:15 am

Industrial Helix wrote:go for the georgia bonus or

or what? :shock:

how is this gonna fix the gameplay?

of course i'm gonna go for the georgia bonus in my game but that's not going to change anything. assuming i manage to get that bonus i'd have 6 terits with 3 borders to defend for a +3, with a very limited range of options to expand.

while another player can get connecticut and rhode island for the same bonus as me but he'll only have 2 terits and 2 borders to defend. not to mention getting those 2 terits will mean a much lower cost in troops. basically with a good drop somebody could get that bonus in round 2 or even round 1 and even have enough troops to fort it, while a player in the lower part of the map will have to spend many turns battling until he/she manages to get georgia and south carolina.

also the ship bonuses are absurd. 2 british ships + 2 landing terits give you +2. so that's 4 terits and 3 borders for +2.
let's look at the french ships. 2 ships + 2 whole colonies (that's 7 terits) give you +3. so for 9 terits and 6 borders you get +3.
in what world are those bonuses balanced?

so not only does the northern part of the map provide smaller 1-2 terit colonies that are easier to get and hold but the ships in that region also provide a much better bonus while the southern part of the map has larger harder to hold colonies and an impossible ship bonus.
you might as well call this "The Lucky Drop" map because whoever gets a good drop in the north is a sure winner.

the more i look at this map the more i realise how poor the gameplay is.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)

Postby iancanton on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:37 am

DiM wrote:let's look at the french ships. 2 ships + 2 whole colonies (that's 7 terits) give you +3. so for 9 terits and 6 borders you get +3.

1 french ship plus the whole of its adjacent colony gives +2: tybee roads plus georgia has 4 regions and 2 borders.

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (7) General Contribution (13)

Postby DiM on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:45 am

iancanton wrote:
DiM wrote:let's look at the french ships. 2 ships + 2 whole colonies (that's 7 terits) give you +3. so for 9 terits and 6 borders you get +3.

1 french ship plus the whole of its adjacent colony gives +2: tybee roads plus georgia has 4 regions and 2 borders.

ian. :)

got it. my bad.
but still my point about the colonies still stands.
it's inadmissible to give the same bonus for 2 terits with 2 borders or for 7 terits with 4 borders.
Major DiM

Postby steel24 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:46 pm

Not sure if this has been brought up, but in North Carolina it`s Guilford not Guildford.
Major steel24

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby babiscus on Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:10 pm

I'm playing this map currently. I don't understand how to avoid to be killed by the indian neutral. Please answer to me with an easy english (i'm french ;))
Captain babiscus

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby IcePack on Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:17 pm

babiscus wrote:I'm playing this map currently. I don't understand how to avoid to be killed by the indian neutral. Please answer to me with an easy english (i'm french ;))

They are for passing through. Use as a short cut but do not stay on their location as they reset each round.
12:11:16 ‹Swifte› good thing we have the beta program to weed all these problems out
12:15:00 * IcePack joins Social
12:15:35 ‹Swifte› well that's just bad timing
Lieutenant IcePack
Beta Tester Extraordinaire
Beta Tester Extraordinaire

Medals: 101
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (16) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (11) General Contribution (12)

Previous

Return to The Atlas