Conquer Club

Greenland [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Greenland - v8 on p1&5 › texture's back, what next?

Postby samuelc812 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:13 am

Yes i am a little confused as to why i quoted Benn, anyway ;)
Captain samuelc812

Re: Greenland - v8 on p1&5 › texture's back, what next?

Postby InsomniaRed on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:22 am

samuelc812 wrote:Yes i am a little confused as to why i quoted Benn, anyway ;)

He was distracted by watching the toilet flush the wrong way :o Anyway, I don't think it matters, you'll get the stamp in time. Patience is a virtue my friend. A pain in the ass, but a virtue nonetheless ;)
      I will always love you Nick, Forever.
Major InsomniaRed

Re: Greenland - v9 on p1&6 › army circles!

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:17 pm

Haha you two — yeah I know, plus the Preliminary Review system will be visiting the world's largest independent island soon ;)

And now updating to Large Version 8 with army circles! (please keep in mind I'll move some borders around to suit them — see 'Ilulissat')
Click image to enlarge.

show: Updates and To-Do

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby InsomniaRed on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:19 pm

Outer rings of the army circles aren't sitting well with me. they seem waaay too dark. I want to see what others think, and if I'm the only one, I can definitely deal with that ;)
Major InsomniaRed

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:32 pm

InsomniaRed
Outer rings of the army circles aren't sitting well with me. they seem waaay too dark. I want to see what others think, and if I'm the only one, I can definitely deal with that ;)
Agreed. Fixed.
Click image to enlarge.

Captain the.killing.44

Postby captainwalrus on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:34 pm

Itterajivit needs a circle.
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby InsomniaRed on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:43 pm

Yay much better! =D> Person above me is correct ;)

Aaand let's see I know you'll be tinkering with them but Ilulissat and Paamiut seem to be the most cramped right now and could use tweaking so the circles don't blend and overlap so much with the borders. Looking hot :P
Major InsomniaRed

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:56 pm

captainwalrus
Itterajivit needs a circle.
InsomniaRed
Yay much better! =D> Person above me is correct ;)
Aaand let's see I know you'll be tinkering with them but Ilulissat and Paamiut seem to be the most cramped right now and could use tweaking so the circles don't blend and overlap so much with the borders. Looking hot :P

Alright — Itterajivit was my bad :oops: amended v9 with fixed borders to be edited here momentarily.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby sailorseal on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:18 pm

Looks very good. My only problem is that there are so few bonuses for a medium size map. Maybe cut the largest one into two. The graphics seem great but maybe decrease the size of the minimap.
Great Map! So perfect I have almost nothing to say...
Cook sailorseal

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:28 pm

Preliminary Map Review

I'm not overally happy with the blue, white, grey colours...it makes the map very bland, but that is purely my subjective colour preference, and i haven't said that before so that is not big deal for me.
Apart from that, it's clean and tidy and very legible for easy gameplay.
I say this map is ready for the Foundry Proper. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: Greenland - v10 on p1&6 › army shadows!

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:33 pm

cairnswk
'm not overally happy with the blue, white, grey colours...it makes the map very bland, but that is purely my subjective colour preference, and i haven't said that before so that is not big deal for me.
Apart from that, it's clean and tidy and very legible for easy gameplay.
I say this map is ready for the Foundry Proper. :)

Thanks cairns — I chose the color scheme to make the feel that of Greenland — a cold, clean, and crisp theme. I'm not really sure what I'd change it to, but what I will do is make the color differentials (Illoq. & Upernavik; Qaanaaq & Nurdø.) slightly larger.

Click image to enlarge.

I've scrapped the circles and added shadows … who likes this over the real circles and vice-versa?

Captain the.killing.44

Postby tlane on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:39 pm

i like the circles better, but could you put up a picture of what the map would look like with numbers on the shadows
tlane
Private tlane

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:56 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Made the shadows with Hard Light and Glow, as with the numbers I saw they did nothing.
To-Do next is make the bear whiter, and … :-s

Captain the.killing.44

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:20 pm

Hi .44,

Shadows are nice, perhaps some has to be fixed...(nuuk semms less brighter)
I see a big dark line and others smaller on the right of your map.
did you it intentionally?

The big daark line starts near the bear rear left leg go south near the B of bonuses, and throught the minimap and your name.

Finally qaanaaq and nurdostgronland looks similar, another color choice ?
I know that ice cap divide them but could be better if the nurdostgronland color is similar to the minimap one.

Nothing else.
Good work =D>
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:31 pm

Well I just got a PM to ask me to look over the map.

I have to say it does look very nice.
1) The Bear is SWEET
2) Like the simple textures
3) Text is really easy to read

Here are some suggestions
1) The map is too big. I don't mean the playable area, I mean the overall map. The mini map is almost big enough to be its own map.
2) Lots of blue. Now I know I just made a USA: Rockies map with tins of blue but it never hurts to ask if the colors are OK for colorblind people
3) Borders. If they are not really that squiggly, I would straighten them a bit. I don't mean straight lines but some of them are REALLY curvy
4) Army Circles / Dots / ? - I don't really know if I like them with or without. I would say I need to see the 88 XML image (with all colors) to make my final call.

Here is a QUICK try at what I would do to clean up and tighten the map. (please ignore the 88 on the small
Major WidowMakers

Postby RjBeals on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:48 pm

i prefer the circles over the blotches.
Maybe you could try a really slight dark outer glow around your territ names. I an read them, but they are sort of light. Not a biggie really.
Agree with WM about the squiggles. If you can, maybe a little less drastic squiggles.
The textures & colors look great to me.
I say foundry proper for sure. Nice work.

Click image to enlarge.
Private RjBeals

Postby MrBenn on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:59 am

I've been wanting to give you this for a little while now...

Welcome to the Foundry Proper... Onwards and Upwards!
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Greenland [D] - v10 on p1&6 › army shadows!

Postby oaktown on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:34 am

it's too bad there's really only one easy start on this map, and that start rolls a player right into the next easiest bonus. If somebody gains quick traction in the northwest (don't even make me type the names of the regions) this game is over, because that player gets a bonus three round before anybody else, and can sit back and pick off players from afar via the long attack routes.

Any way to split up one of the other regions?

Love the friggin' bear.
Captain oaktown

Postby yeti_c on Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:08 am

The translation of the quote doesn't really make sense?!

C>
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:26 pm

MrBenn
I've been wanting to give you this for a little while now...

Welcome to the Foundry Proper... Onwards and Upwards!

Like I said before, thanks!

thenobodies88
Hi .44,
Shadows are nice, perhaps some has to be fixed...(nuuk semms less brighter)

Actually I think I'm reverting back to much lower-opacity circles, as I agree with Rj on this one.
I see a big dark line and others smaller on the right of your map.
did you it intentionally?
The big daark line starts near the bear rear left leg go south near the B of bonuses, and throught the minimap and your name.

Part of the grunge I used — reduced opacity.
Finally qaanaaq and nurdostgronland looks similar, another color choice ?
I know that ice cap divide them but could be better if the nurdostgronland color is similar to the minimap one.

Yuppers, fixed ;)
Nothing else. Good work =D>

WidowMakers
Well I just got a PM to ask me to look over the map.
Don't blame me … 8-[
I have to say it does look very nice.
1) The Bear is SWEET
2) Like the simple textures
3) Text is really easy to read

Thanks — I was going for an easy-to look at, clean map.
Here are some suggestions
1) The map is too big. I don't mean the playable area, I mean the overall map. The mini map is almost big enough to be its own map.

Okay … in conjunction with your images below I have done some vitalizing and prioritizing, meaning moving crap around. I think I've cut like 20-30px off the right and a couple off the bottom — lol.
2) Lots of blue. Now I know I just made a USA: Rockies map with tins of blue but it never hurts to ask if the colors are OK for colorblind people
I ran in through VisCheck, and the separations made it fine, but like I said before I made the Nurdø… color navier, as well as something special up there ;)
3) Borders. If they are not really that squiggly, I would straighten them a bit. I don't mean straight lines but some of them are REALLY curvy
:lol: I got carried away making those. Fixed.
4) Army Circles / Dots / ? - I don't really know if I like them with or without. I would say I need to see the 88 XML image (with all colors) to make my final call.
Good point. I included the blue because I thought they would be the worst, but the gray 88s could be harsh as well … let's see what my new circles with inner glow look like later.
show

RjBeals
i prefer the circles over the blotches.
Agreed. As I mentioned before, I've included some inner glow on 'em to bring out the gray and blue contrast (88 vs. map) better.
Maybe you could try a really slight dark outer glow around your territ names. I an read them, but they are sort of light. Not a biggie really.
Easy shmeezy. Added (big improvement as well IMO)
Agree with WM about the squiggles. If you can, maybe a little less drastic squiggles.
lol fixed
The textures & colors look great to me.
I say foundry proper for sure. Nice work.

oaktown
it's too bad there's really only one easy start on this map, and that start rolls a player right into the next easiest bonus. If somebody gains quick traction in the northwest (don't even make me type the names of the regions) this game is over, because that player gets a bonus three round before anybody else, and can sit back and pick off players from afar via the long attack routes.
Any way to split up one of the other regions?

Yes, in v11.
Love the friggin' bear.
lol, when this gets quenched I'm making an edit/post compiled of quotes loving the bear :D

yeti_c
The translation of the quote doesn't really make sense?!
:? I got nothing.

Update either later tonight or tomorrow! Thanks for all the feedback!

Captain the.killing.44

Postby BrendanGillis on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:26 pm

Those territory borders are still pretty darn squiggly, they look like jig-saw puzzle pieces.

That's still a pretty darn big mini-map, it could be a tad smaller (especially when it is such close proximity to the big map). It looks like mini-me or something, especially when the main map is only a few pixels away from the border as it currently is. For that matter, the main map may be a bit too big, but if you don't want to shrink it I'd suggest adding a few pixels around the border just so let it breathe a bit more.

Two things I thought I'd throw out there:

1. It might look nice if you project in some curved longitude and latitude lines in black or navy blue on the "sea blue" background and behind the game map layer. Particularly, the location of the arctic circle should be indicated, and the 40th meridian. I think that would fit in nicely with the theme you've got going, especially if you can make em reasonably accurate but show of the subtle curvature of the earth surface..

2. Since the actual proportional size of the glacier icecap is severely understated in the main map, could you try incorporate a more accurately sized icecap in the minimap and still have the minimap still tell it's info? That might also might help break up the "seeing double" effect you get from staring at the Dr. Evil / Mini-Me thing goin on there. And what if you tried to make the army drop circles look like snow drifts? Could look tacky but might give a nice effect.

Lookin good.

, but this seems to be coming along nice graphically.
Sergeant 1st Class BrendanGillis

Postby SultanOfSurreal on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:38 am

I said this before, but I would really love to see the uninhabitable glacial area in the middle be its own "continent." Making it into perhaps a medium-sized bonus region with liberal access to the northwest and western areas, with many more impassable barriers in the other areas -- it might eliminate to a large degree the problem of a player getting a lucky start and dominating early.

Also, in all sincerity, this is easily the best and best-looking map I have yet seen in the foundry since I've been here, and I absolutely cannot wait to play on it, whether you take my suggestion or not. I never thought of the possibility of a Greenland map, but the idea is great and you've implemented it well.
Private SultanOfSurreal

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:34 pm

BrendanGillis
Those territory borders are still pretty darn squiggly, they look like jig-saw puzzle pieces.
lol yeah, they've been fixed.
That's still a pretty darn big mini-map, it could be a tad smaller (especially when it is such close proximity to the big map). It looks like mini-me or something, especially when the main map is only a few pixels away from the border as it currently is. For that matter, the main map may be a bit too big, but if you don't want to shrink it I'd suggest adding a few pixels around the border just so let it breathe a bit more.
As I said 3 posts up, fixed.
Two things I thought I'd throw out there:
1. It might look nice if you project in some curved longitude and latitude lines in black or navy blue on the "sea blue" background and behind the game map layer. Particularly, the location of the arctic circle should be indicated, and the 40th meridian. I think that would fit in nicely with the theme you've got going, especially if you can make em reasonably accurate but show of the subtle curvature of the earth surface..

Love this idea, if only the Arctic Circle line. I think I'll implement this idea.
2. Since the actual proportional size of the glacier icecap is severely understated in the main map
For people who don't know, in all honesty I shrunk the icecap considerably. It really extends down much further south, but I don't think it's too big of a deal, is it?
, could you try incorporate a more accurately sized icecap in the minimap and still have the minimap still tell it's info? That might also might help break up the "seeing double" effect you get from staring at the Dr. Evil / Mini-Me thing goin on there.
I have nothing against the graphical side of this idea, but I think it would affect playability and the current "easy-to-use" nature of the map, confusing people and even while breaking the mini-me aspect of it, making it seems all-the-more like it's own map, despite my new shrinkage.
And what if you tried to make the army drop circles look like snow drifts? Could look tacky but might give a nice effect.
Well, I changed them back to the circles, and I think it wouldn't come out right with the numbers on top of them. Not to be stubborn, but I think I'll just stick with straight-up low-opacity circles, unless people really liked the shadow blotches.
Lookin good., but this seems to be coming along nice graphically.

SultanOfSurreal
I said this before, but I would really love to see the uninhabitable glacial area in the middle be its own "continent." Making it into perhaps a medium-sized bonus region with liberal access to the northwest and western areas, with many more impassable barriers in the other areas -- it might eliminate to a large degree the problem of a player getting a lucky start and dominating early.
It's not as much that I don't like this idea, but I don't think it would be good to implement. Firstly, for just a blatant lack of names, as per my research there's but one mountain and no cities in the middle of there, and the "mountain" is really just an unnamed 3000m peak in elevation. But secondly — and this is partly my fault as one couldn't see that I've implemented a small bonus in the northeast ;) — it wouldn't do much for gameplay, unless I was to basically outline it in impassables and have a couple entry points. But that would really only bump up the territory count, as my current attack routes already do the sort of "few ways in" thing.
Also, in all sincerity, this is easily the best and best-looking map I have yet seen in the foundry since I've been here, and I absolutely cannot wait to play on it, whether you take my suggestion or not.
Thanks a lot :)
I never thought of the possibility of a Greenland map, but the idea is great and you've implemented it well.
Honestly, me neither. It was only until I stared off into the world map on the wall in a history test (yes, J-red :lol: ) that I realized no one had created a map of the world's largest independent island.

So update up tonight. I've switched a lot of the names around, as well as made the attack route on Illorsuit shift to Kullorsuaq, so that bonus doesn't have to be guarded by every single territory. Also, there's a small bonus where Hovgaard is currently on v10.

Thanks for your support, everybody!

EDIT: stupid computer issues … tomorrow or Monday for v11.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby manc on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:49 am

Great looking map.

However I think the correct name for Nurdøstgronland, is Nordøstgrønland.

I'm a native danish speaker, this part of the country has a danish name.
Sergeant 1st Class manc

Postby Silent Killer on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:04 pm

Aesthetically, this is a beautiful map.

The gameplay looks well rounded, and its certainly one Im looking forward to getting my teeth into.

Love the bear, fits perfectly.

SK
Corporal 1st Class Silent Killer

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas