Greenland [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Greenland - v8 on p1&5 › texture's back, what next?

Postby samuelc812 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:13 am

Yes i am a little confused as to why i quoted Benn, anyway ;)
Major samuelc812

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (7) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (11)
General Contribution (8)

Re: Greenland - v8 on p1&5 › texture's back, what next?

Postby InsomniaRed on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:22 am

samuelc812 wrote:Yes i am a little confused as to why i quoted Benn, anyway ;)

He was distracted by watching the toilet flush the wrong way :o Anyway, I don't think it matters, you'll get the stamp in time. Patience is a virtue my friend. A pain in the ass, but a virtue nonetheless ;)
      I will always love you Nick, Forever.
Major InsomniaRed

Medals: 60
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (4)
Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (7)

Re: Greenland - v9 on p1&6 › army circles!

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:17 pm

Haha you two — yeah I know, plus the Preliminary Review system will be visiting the world's largest independent island soon ;)

And now updating to Large Version 8 with army circles! (please keep in mind I'll move some borders around to suit them — see 'Ilulissat')
Click image to enlarge.

show: Updates and To-Do

Major the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes
Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Postby InsomniaRed on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:19 pm

Outer rings of the army circles aren't sitting well with me. they seem waaay too dark. I want to see what others think, and if I'm the only one, I can definitely deal with that ;)
Major InsomniaRed

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (4)

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:32 pm

InsomniaRed
Outer rings of the army circles aren't sitting well with me. they seem waaay too dark. I want to see what others think, and if I'm the only one, I can definitely deal with that ;)
Agreed. Fixed.
Click image to enlarge.

Major the.killing.44

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (4)

Postby captainwalrus on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:34 pm

Itterajivit needs a circle.
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby InsomniaRed on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:43 pm

Yay much better! =D> Person above me is correct ;)

Aaand let's see I know you'll be tinkering with them but Ilulissat and Paamiut seem to be the most cramped right now and could use tweaking so the circles don't blend and overlap so much with the borders. Looking hot :P
Major InsomniaRed

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:56 pm

captainwalrus
Itterajivit needs a circle.
InsomniaRed
Yay much better! =D> Person above me is correct ;)
Aaand let's see I know you'll be tinkering with them but Ilulissat and Paamiut seem to be the most cramped right now and could use tweaking so the circles don't blend and overlap so much with the borders. Looking hot :P

Alright — Itterajivit was my bad :oops: amended v9 with fixed borders to be edited here momentarily.
Major the.killing.44

Postby sailorseal on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:18 pm

Looks very good. My only problem is that there are so few bonuses for a medium size map. Maybe cut the largest one into two. The graphics seem great but maybe decrease the size of the minimap.
Great Map! So perfect I have almost nothing to say...
Cook sailorseal

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (7) General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:28 pm

Preliminary Map Review

I'm not overally happy with the blue, white, grey colours...it makes the map very bland, but that is purely my subjective colour preference, and i haven't said that before so that is not big deal for me.
Apart from that, it's clean and tidy and very legible for easy gameplay.
I say this map is ready for the Foundry Proper. :)
Corporal cairnswk

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Re: Greenland - v10 on p1&6 › army shadows!

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:33 pm

cairnswk
'm not overally happy with the blue, white, grey colours...it makes the map very bland, but that is purely my subjective colour preference, and i haven't said that before so that is not big deal for me.
Apart from that, it's clean and tidy and very legible for easy gameplay.
I say this map is ready for the Foundry Proper. :)

Thanks cairns — I chose the color scheme to make the feel that of Greenland — a cold, clean, and crisp theme. I'm not really sure what I'd change it to, but what I will do is make the color differentials (Illoq. & Upernavik; Qaanaaq & Nurdø.) slightly larger.

Click image to enlarge.

I've scrapped the circles and added shadows … who likes this over the real circles and vice-versa?

Major the.killing.44

Postby tlane on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:39 pm

i like the circles better, but could you put up a picture of what the map would look like with numbers on the shadows
tlane
Private tlane

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:56 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Made the shadows with Hard Light and Glow, as with the numbers I saw they did nothing.
To-Do next is make the bear whiter, and … :-s

Major the.killing.44

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:20 pm

Hi .44,

Shadows are nice, perhaps some has to be fixed...(nuuk semms less brighter)
I see a big dark line and others smaller on the right of your map.
did you it intentionally?

The big daark line starts near the bear rear left leg go south near the B of bonuses, and throught the minimap and your name.

Finally qaanaaq and nurdostgronland looks similar, another color choice ?
I know that ice cap divide them but could be better if the nurdostgronland color is similar to the minimap one.

Nothing else.
Good work =D>

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:31 pm

Well I just got a PM to ask me to look over the map.

I have to say it does look very nice.
1) The Bear is SWEET
2) Like the simple textures
3) Text is really easy to read

Here are some suggestions
1) The map is too big. I don't mean the playable area, I mean the overall map. The mini map is almost big enough to be its own map.
2) Lots of blue. Now I know I just made a USA: Rockies map with tins of blue but it never hurts to ask if the colors are OK for colorblind people
3) Borders. If they are not really that squiggly, I would straighten them a bit. I don't mean straight lines but some of them are REALLY curvy
4) Army Circles / Dots / ? - I don't really know if I like them with or without. I would say I need to see the 88 XML image (with all colors) to make my final call.

Here is a QUICK try at what I would do to clean up and tighten the map. (please ignore the 88 on the small
Colonel WidowMakers

Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (10) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas