Conquer Club

First Nations of North America [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: First Nations of North America

Postby barterer2002 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:38 pm

Tisha, a great map here. I wonder if there are too many small bonuses (first time I've seen a bonus drop in a 6 player game) but other than that, I'm excited by this one, I do really like the graphical look of this one.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:43 pm

barterer2002 wrote:Tisha, a great map here. I wonder if there are too many small bonuses (first time I've seen a bonus drop in a 6 player game) but other than that, I'm excited by this one, I do really like the graphical look of this one.

He may have a point about Plateau…
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby jammyjames on Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:51 pm

awesome map, i love it, thanks tisha!
Corporal 1st Class jammyjames

Postby Bruceswar on Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:54 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:
barterer2002 wrote:Tisha, a great map here. I wonder if there are too many small bonuses (first time I've seen a bonus drop in a 6 player game) but other than that, I'm excited by this one, I do really like the graphical look of this one.

It is a plus 1 .... Malta? Montreal? Pearl Harbor? Italy I have seen bonuses of 1 dropped in all those maps. Works out fine in the end.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby barterer2002 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:03 pm

Yeah I'm not to worries about it. There are plenty of maps that have a +1 for single terts.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:52 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:

It is a plus 1 .... Malta? Montreal? Pearl Harbor? Italy I have seen bonuses of 1 dropped in all those maps. Works out fine in the end.

Those are all out of Beta. The thing is that here we have a chance to fix it—especially in light of the over-anxiousness regarding dropping with bonuses that has been in the Foundry of late.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby Bruceswar on Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:04 pm

I say leave... adds some spice to the map. :)
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Tisha on Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:36 pm

it's only a plus one..
if I make one of the territories start neutral then it ruins the whole 72 territories, which is a great number

with such a big map, I don't think a plus one makes that big of a difference..
Major Tisha

Postby Bruceswar on Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:43 pm

Tisha wrote:it's only a plus one..
if I make one of the territories start neutral then it ruins the whole 72 territories, which is a great number

with such a big map, I don't think a plus one makes that big of a difference..

It does not.... I say leave it
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Scott-Land on Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:46 pm

If everyone's talking about adding a terr up north ( greenland I think) and making it a +2 bonus I'm all for it. Adding an attack route from it to Inuvioulaudft would be ideal !

After skimming through the posts I guess that's not what the discussions about-- you fellas are about 2 months late. I had agreed with Tisha and warned her about breaking up the large bonuses for a multitude of reasons. I guess in the end, she finally gave in to whatever that guys name was that was clueless to the situation and problems he would cause yammering about things he had no business speaking of-- gameplay strategy of all things.
Major Scott-Land

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:55 am

The debate is on the 1 bonus near Washington. I say leave it. Looks good and works nicely.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:57 am

Just played 5 1v1s, and not a single one of them had someone drop with the +1.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby wcaclimbing on Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:08 am

I haven't posted much in the foundry recently, but I wanted to say that I really like the graphics on this map.
Nice work!
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby Peter Gibbons on Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:21 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:Just played 5 1v1s, and not a single one of them had someone drop with the +1.
Interesting, I've played two games... one 4-player and one 5-player. Both games the +1 Plateau was dropped as well as one of the +2s. Perhaps just luck of the draw, but I'd at least consider coding a few spots for multiplayer games.

EDIT: to be clear, I'm not advocating anything gets coded as a neutral. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the way things work, but is it possible to code certain territories to make sure the same person doesn't get both (or all 3 or 4)?
Last edited by Peter Gibbons on Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Peter Gibbons

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm

Peter Gibbons wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:Just played 5 1v1s, and not a single one of them had someone drop with the +1.
Interesting, I've played two games... one 4-player and one 5-player. Both games the +1 Plateau was dropped as well as one of the +2s. Perhaps just luck of the draw, but I'd at least consider coding a few spots for multiplayer games.

Funny, I've played 9 1v1s now, and it's only on the 9th that someone finally got the +1.

However, +2's and +3's have been dropped in most.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby paulycash on Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:57 am

awesome map ive been waiting for this one !!! and know with manual troop placement it should be good =D> next it would be nice too see the old far east yeaaa!!!
Private 1st Class paulycash

Postby ender516 on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:11 pm

I'm really enjoying this map, but I have a couple of spelling nitpicks: on the map, SubArtic should be SubArctic, and in the XML, Artic and SubArtic should be Arctic and SubArctic, respectively.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Tisha on Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:15 am

ender516 wrote:I'm really enjoying this map, but I have a couple of spelling nitpicks: on the map, SubArtic should be SubArctic, and in the XML, Artic and SubArtic should be Arctic and SubArctic, respectively.

how embarrassing..

FIXED
Large http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c282/ ... caLG-2.jpg
Small http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c282/ ... caSM-2.jpg
Major Tisha

Postby Foxglove on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:31 am

This is fantastic, Tisha. :D
Brigadier Foxglove

Postby ahunda on Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:51 pm

I just started my first game on this map, and it could easily become one of my favourites. Very nice graphics, and the many small bonuses should make for very good team games.

I however think, that 72 terrs is a real bad choice. It means 12 starting terrs in Trips & 18 in Dubs. Key word: 1st turn advantage.

As I said, the map could be real great for team games, but if it stays like that, I´ll probably have to stick to Quads.
Field Marshal ahunda

Postby demonfork on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:50 pm

Love the map, already In my top 5 favorites....only problem, change the "I Love Owen" to "I Love demon" and It will be perfect.
Lieutenant demonfork

Postby ender516 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:08 pm

ahunda wrote:I just started my first game on this map, and it could easily become one of my favourites. Very nice graphics, and the many small bonuses should make for very good team games.

I however think, that 72 terrs is a real bad choice. It means 12 starting terrs in Trips & 18 in Dubs. Key word: 1st turn advantage.

As I said, the map could be real great for team games, but if it stays like that, I´ll probably have to stick to Quads.

Yes, I got the short end of the stick in a 1v1 game, and hit someone else with it in another. Maybe if one of the regions in the Plateau bonus were a starting neutral, it would both prevent the bonus on the drop and avoid the steal-the-other-guy's-bonus-in-the-first-turn problem.

Postby Tisha on Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:43 am

and what number do you guys think would be better than 72?

I don't think taking someone down 1 man before their first turn makes such a difference on a larger map... and yes, I have played triples and doubles and quads on it..
Major Tisha

Postby ender516 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:26 pm

Don't change the map (it's beautiful) or the number of territories, but make Nimiipuu a starting neutral.

With 72 territories, when you split them for 2, 3, 4, 6, or 8 players, you get a multiple of 3 (24 for 3 or 2 plus the "neutral player", 18 for 4, 12 for 6, 9 for 8). Lose a territory before your first turn and you come up one short in your first bonus. With 5 or 7 players, it's not a problem (14 each for 5, 10 each for 7).

But take away that one territory by making it start neutral, and now you are dividing 71. That means 13 each for 2 or 3 players, 17 each for 4, 11 for 6, and 8 for 8. Nobody is on that knife edge of a multiple of three, so nobody can whine about it. Of course, we can all find something else to whine about, but that will take time and effort. For 5 or 7 players, nothing really changes.

In addition, since Nimiipuu has so many neighbours, it is not as likely that whoever gets Salish in the drop will be able to grab that bonus and hold it right away.

Postby iancanton on Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:11 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:
Peter Gibbons wrote:

Funny, I've played 9 1v1s now, and it's only on the 9th that someone finally got the +1.

However, +2's and +3's have been dropped in most.

ahunda wrote:I however think, that 72 terrs is a real bad choice. It means 12 starting terrs in Trips & 18 in Dubs. Key word: 1st turn advantage.

Tisha wrote:and what number do you guys think would be better than 72?

I don't think taking someone down 1 man before their first turn makes such a difference on a larger map... and yes, I have played triples and doubles and quads on it..

ender516 wrote:Don't change the map (it's beautiful) or the number of territories, but make Nimiipuu a starting neutral.

on a larger map, 1 extra troop on its own doesn't make a great difference. however, we're talking here about 1 extra troop plus a good chance of zone bonuses on top.

the nimiipuu starting neutral works for me. u can reduce the number of resultant random neutrals by making tunimiut and taino start neutral too, so that no-one starts with greenland or circum-caribbean. the total number of random-starting regions will then be 69, meaning that 1v1 games start with 23 regions each, 2v2 with 17 each and 3v3 with 11 each.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas