First Nations of North America [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Native America.. UPDATE 04/23

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon May 11, 2009 4:25 pm

i found this one in the bin....probably could help for zones splitting....

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=242&t=22586#p542955

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby oaktown on Tue May 12, 2009 12:06 am

alexandrois wrote:Hey could you put names in the oceans.
The words and numbers should be in an older looking type
Could you put hawaii in?

re. names of oceans: you mean the names attributed by the Europeans? That wouldn't make sense.
re. font: this one is fine, but you could play around with it.
re. hawaii: I'm not sure the polynesians had much contact with north america - certainly not enough to be waging war across the pacific (or whatever they called that ocean).
Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby Bruceswar on Tue May 12, 2009 12:15 am

oaktown wrote:
alexandrois wrote:Hey could you put names in the oceans.
The words and numbers should be in an older looking type
Could you put hawaii in?

re. names of oceans: you mean the names attributed by the Europeans? That wouldn't make sense.
re. font: this one is fine, but you could play around with it.
re. hawaii: I'm not sure the polynesians had much contact with north america - certainly not enough to be waging war across the pacific (or whatever they called that ocean).

I can see it now.. Those Canoes going cross ocean. LOL
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Major Bruceswar

Medals: 141
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Postby alexandrois on Tue May 12, 2009 10:53 am

HAHAHAaaa good point, but didn't the natice indians have names for the oceans?
Private 1st Class alexandrois

Medals: 1
Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Tisha on Tue May 12, 2009 12:03 pm

alexandrois wrote:HAHAHAaaa good point, but didn't the natice indians have names for the oceans?

different linguist stocks probably had different names for different bodies of water..
Major Tisha

Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6)
General Contribution (3)

Postby Elijah S on Wed May 13, 2009 3:15 am

Tisha - This is truly an impressive map! The graphics are top-notch and I look forward to seeing this progress soon!
This was my first look at it, as I've been away from the foundry for quite awhile.
Your mountains are great and the parchment gives it a sense of antiguity.
Way to go! =D> =D> =D>
Captain Elijah S

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby pamoa on Fri May 15, 2009 4:48 am

very nice map
i didn't read all the thread (at all :oops: )
but here are some of my comments
if saying river is impassable then you have to add mountains
does the groups of tribes have any "global" name, it should be added to minimap
nimiipuu / salish bonus should be lowered to +1, it's only 2 territories
it would be better if you find a way to put the few diagonal names in horizontal

good work keep going on
de gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Lieutenant pamoa

Medals: 58
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (8)
Map Contribution (3)

Postby ustus on Fri May 15, 2009 5:38 pm

pamoa wrote:very nice map
it would be better if you find a way to put the few diagonal names in horizontal

good work keep going on

i think sometimes people say some very funny things because they don't read the thread, but when a bunch of ppl don't it gets annoying. You, my apologetic poster, have successfully made an intelligent post without reading the thread. Well done. Here is my response to your comments (and i could be wrong, feel free to tell me if i am):
i thought there were mountains (see calif. area)
i'm not sure what you mean by a global name, could you please elaborate? (though if Tisha understands, then this isn't necessary, sorry)
and if both of those terits can be attacked from outside the bonus area, then i would hope i'd get enough reinforcements to put one on each border, or at least something close! i wouldn't want to hold a bonus area that didn't give me the resources i need to defend it!! (though, personally i always advocate bonus areas that are easy to hold with decently high bonus armies, maybe it's just my play style.

and yeah, i agree, it's great work, keep it up!
Corporal ustus

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)

Postby Tisha on Fri May 15, 2009 10:19 pm

ustus wrote:
pamoa wrote:very nice map

good work keep going on

i think sometimes people say some very funny things because they don't read the thread, but when a bunch of ppl don't it gets annoying. You, my apologetic poster, have successfully made an intelligent post without reading the thread. Well done. Here is my response to your comments (and i could be wrong, feel free to tell me if i am):
i thought there were mountains (see calif. area)
i'm not sure what you mean by a global name, could you please elaborate? (though if Tisha understands, then this isn't necessary, sorry)
and if both of those terits can be attacked from outside the bonus area, then i would hope i'd get enough reinforcements to put one on each border, or at least something close! i wouldn't want to hold a bonus area that didn't give me the resources i need to defend it!! (though, personally i always advocate bonus areas that are easy to hold with decently high bonus armies, maybe it's just my play style.

and yeah, i agree, it's great work, keep it up!

thanks for the posts guys..

he means put mountains in the non-passable part of the map (legend)

i think i understand what he means by global.. like the regions (arctic, subarctic, plains) but it doesn't matter, i don't like the minimap. i have been working with the colors, trying to make them distinguishable..

and i have been told before that the salish bonus should be one because someone might drop it.. how rare would that be? :|
Major Tisha

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6)
General Contribution (3)

Re: First Nations of North America.. UPDATE 05/15

Postby Tisha on Fri May 15, 2009 11:11 pm

this is what png looks like ... why doesn't it even save the right size? :?

Click image to enlarge.

JPG
Click image to enlarge.
Major Tisha

General Contribution (3)

Postby alexandrois on Sat May 16, 2009 5:15 am

Wow great update
Private 1st Class alexandrois

Medals: 1
Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby pamoa on Sat May 16, 2009 6:21 am

Tisha wrote:and i have been told before that the salish bonus should be one because someone might drop it.. how rare would that be? :|

I'm not sure about the numbers but in 2 or 3 players game i think more than 50%

better with list bonus legend
woodlands alone without north-east
can't you find more characteristic names for north-west south-east south-west
and maybe some kind of symbols in front of the names representative the the culture
I miss some native's graphic felling in this map (only my opinion)

I also think you are ready to make a test with "888" army symbols
triple 8 is because of the use of the colour code by a lot of players

=D>
de gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Lieutenant pamoa

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (8)
Map Contribution (3)

Postby Hatchman on Sat May 16, 2009 9:29 am

The updated colours look great Tisha. Easier now to distinguish bonus areas.

The trees aren't THAT bad. Kinda cool looking. But then again it's chilly in those north-central areas, so perhaps coniferous (pointy pine thingies) would be more suitable.

And the territory names in the north at least seem to be coming along nicely. They're less Anglo now.
Image Dog's best friend. TSM's Goodwill Ambassador.
Colonel Hatchman

Medals: 43
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (14)

Postby oaktown on Sat May 16, 2009 10:12 am

Looking good... as mentioned above the trees aren't bad, but I suspect you'll do better in time.

There's about a 10% chance of somebody getting the 2-territory region to start the game in a 2 or 3 player game, and around a 6% chance in a 4 player game. In case you were wondering.

In terms of gameplay, I'm still troubled by the sheer size of the Arctic and Sub Arctic regions. Arctic will be impossible to take in most games, since it's not only 13 territories but the easternmost and westernmost territories are nine regions apart... and the region directly south of it won't be much easier. And historically, these would have been the least populated regions of pre-Columbian North America, yet they seem to be among the most densely populated regions of this map with many small regions. If you were to represent every nation as small as the Tunimiut, you'd have to add hundreds of regions to the great plains and both coasts.

When you consider how tough life is up there it makes sense that the Arctic region wouldn't be a source of great military might... I suspect the Tunimiut never enjoyed the same kind of warrior reputation that the Aztecs did. ;) So it shouldn't really be an easy place from which to begin an empire on this map. But from a play perspective you also don't want this to become a dead zone.

Since I've mentioned them twice, I tried to google the Tunimiut. I came up with nothing. ??

You've done a nice job of representing the original names of peoples, but Baffinland sounds like a European name. Again, I googled and came up with Baffinland Inuit, so this would seem to be a nation already represented on the map. And I know, somebody is going to say that there are important differences in the lifestyle of the Baffinland Inuit vs. their southern neighbors, to which my response would be that the differences aren't nearly as great as those between the Aztec and the unrepresented Mixtec (for example).

And I'm not saying you should start adding every unrepresented group - there has to be a line drawn somewhere - but I do think that some of the Arctic nations can be dropped/combined to improve gameplay without sacrificing the historical integrity of the map.
Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby Tisha on Sat May 16, 2009 2:09 pm

pamoa wrote:
Tisha wrote:and i have been told before that the salish bonus should be one because someone might drop it.. how rare would that be? :|

I'm not sure about the numbers but in 2 or 3 players game i think more than 50%

better with list bonus legend
woodlands alone without north-east
can't you find more characteristic names for north-west south-east south-west
and maybe some kind of symbols in front of the names representative the the culture
I miss some native's graphic felling in this map (only my opinion)

I also think you are ready to make a test with "888" army symbols
triple 8 is because of the use of the colour code by a lot of players

=D>

I'm not going to put symbols in front of the names, there isn't room.. I will add some randomly later.
and I know about the 888, i have made a map before. it's not time for that right now, when I'm still messing with the territories and trying to figure that out.

i don't know what more characteristic names you want, all the names describe the area that they...are
Major Tisha

General Contribution (3)

Postby Tisha on Sat May 16, 2009 2:41 pm

oaktown wrote:
Since I've mentioned them twice, I tried to google the Tunimiut. I came up with nothing. ??

:oops: I know i pulled it from one of my maps somewhere.. Tunumiut .. a typo

the whole arctic area are all Inuit.. it's hard to find names for any of them. lingustic stock might be a better way to sort the arctic areas.. no? I don't know.. you should show my how you think it should be divided, and I'll name the territories..:P
Major Tisha

General Contribution (3)

Postby icehack on Sat May 16, 2009 3:21 pm

I really love this map so far and I'm looking forward to playing it.
I'm not feeling the canoes though, they seem out of place to me. I also agree with oak that the Arctic region might need to be re-examined.
Sergeant 1st Class icehack

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby pamoa on Sun May 17, 2009 7:15 am

great basin is a geographic feature north-west is a compass direction
as native didn't knew compass you may find some geographic feature for those 3 legend region names
and I was thinking of icons in front of legend region names not territories
and sorry for being pedant about 888
Lieutenant pamoa

Map Contribution (3)

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 am

I am pleased to issue this map the draft stamp on behalf of the foundry community.

Welcome to the Foundry Proper!

About Arctic and sub arctic zones, this is how i see that zones.

show

obviously , you can split/merge in a different way, but i think that reducing the number of territories could be a double good choice:
1. More sense of few people living in these zone.
2. Easier to hold, generally when a zone has more than 7 territories is left as "the final zone in which i have to kill enemy troops before winning".

This is a beautiful map, you 're doing a great work Tisha! =D>

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby Bruceswar on Sun May 17, 2009 2:04 pm

nice moving up. :)
Major Bruceswar

Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 19, 2009 4:01 am

Tisha, congratulations.
I have to say this is the best map i've seen come into the foundry colour-wise. I hope you don't have to change much more of it.
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby Tisha on Tue May 19, 2009 9:11 am

cairnswk wrote:Tisha, congratulations.
I have to say this is the best map i've seen come into the foundry colour-wise. I hope you don't have to change much more of it.

are you colorblind?

please say yes...lol
Major Tisha

General Contribution (3)

Postby Bruceswar on Tue May 19, 2009 9:19 am

Tisha wrote:

are you colorblind?

please say yes...lol

LOL I hope for your sake he is!
Major Bruceswar

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 19, 2009 12:42 pm

Tisha wrote:

are you colorblind?

please say yes...lol

no i am not colour-blind. but do remember that colour is a subjective aspect.
If you can't accept my comments gracefully as a compliment, then don't expect me to to be back for further compliments. :(
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby Bruceswar on Tue May 19, 2009 1:05 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Tisha wrote:

are you colorblind?

please say yes...lol

no i am not colour-blind. but do remember that colour is a subjective aspect.
If you can't accept my comments gracefully as a compliment, then don't expect me to to be back for further compliments. :(

Nah what she means is there has been a good bit of talk already about the color blind people having a hard time with this map. She was hoping you were as this would mean the problem is solved.
Major Bruceswar

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas