Flanders 1302V15[Beta] major changes! P19

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Flanders 1302- V12 [D] [Gp] 01/17/2010

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:08 pm

The sea color does stand out a bit, but I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on it.

After looking at your signature, I think I'd almost like to see those deeper color represented on the map, than the lighter, softer colors you have now!

But in any case, good work.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby natty dread on Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:30 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:After looking at your signature, I think I'd almost like to see those deeper color represented on the map, than the lighter, softer colors you have now!

Oh god no, that would hurt the eyes.

As for the sea, yes, maybe a slightly darker & colder shade would be better. You may also want to reconsider the colour for Artesie and that other bonus area. They're too similar to the sea colour IMO. Although, if you change the sea colour then it might be ok, either way they need to be different enough so that people won't mistake that area for a part of the sea ;)

And the gradient on the sea, near the shore. That green shade between the blue & white is probably what makes the sea look "tropical". If you want my opinion, either make it a colder shade, or just remove it and have it go straight from blue -> white.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Re: Flanders 1302- V11 [D] [Gp] 12/7/2009

Postby lt_oddball on Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:01 am

DubWarrior wrote:Don't you think the sea looks a bit too tropical?

small size

More like Atomic waste radiating :lol:

(i think that glow should be less)
Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intellegor ulli.
Major lt_oddball

Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:35 am

natty_dread wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:After looking at your signature, I think I'd almost like to see those deeper color represented on the map, than the lighter, softer colors you have now!

I'm not sure it would.

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby natty dread on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:15 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
natty_dread wrote:

I'm not sure it would.

--Andy

Too much contrast...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:20 pm

The edges of some of the shield need to be tidied up a little bit - they look like you've tried to add some sort of drop shadow, but it just looks a bit wrong :-k

As for the sea, the contrast with the white is way too bright on the eyes. The North sea is probably a bit more dark greeny blue - so you might be able to aadd a slight gradient like that to the colour where it gets deeper. That might help to add a bit of variation to the palette?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby DubWarrior on Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:46 am

MrBenn wrote:The edges of some of the shield need to be tidied up a little bit - they look like you've tried to add some sort of drop shadow, but it just looks a bit wrong :-k

As for the sea, the contrast with the white is way too bright on the eyes. The North sea is probably a bit more dark greeny blue - so you might be able to aadd a slight gradient like that to the colour where it gets deeper. That might help to add a bit of variation to the palette?

I agree with you on the color, so I tried some greeny and sandy shore...I like the look of it, specially with the yellow titles. but maybe it's a bit massive and heavy? some lighter piece in the top of it would be nice i guess?
I also changed the color of the searoutes to yellow, i think it fits fine.

Cadet DubWarrior

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (1)

Re: Flanders 1302- V12.1 [D] [Gp] 01/21/2010

Postby RedBaron0 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:00 pm

That does look better, I might move the color a tiny bit more towards blue and see what it looks like. Shields look better, maybe a little more work there to smooth the edges a little bit? Perhaps a black border instead of white on the smaller shields? The shields in the legend can all be the same size as the ones on the map itself since you have room. In the legend too the shield for Aalst looks different with 2 white lines on the sides of the shield, it doesn't match the one on the map.
ImageImageImage
Major RedBaron0
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 80
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (8)
Clan Achievement (8) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (10)

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:01 pm

Why are 2 different continents (that are attached) the same colour?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby DubWarrior on Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:04 am

Rijks-vlaanderen en Artesië aren't connected, so I didn't expect problems there?
Cadet DubWarrior

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (1)

Postby yeti_c on Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:14 am

DubWarrior wrote:Rijks-vlaanderen en Artesië aren't connected, so I didn't expect problems there?

I was thinking Kroon - and Brabant

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby pamoa on Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:51 am

Just switch colours between Henegouwen and Brabant + Ostervant
so you never have two alike colours next to each other ;)
de gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces et donjonnée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Sergeant 1st Class pamoa

Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (8)
Map Contribution (3)

Re: Flanders 1302- V12.2 [D] [Gp] 01/25/2010

Postby DubWarrior on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:23 am

Hi, back with some other small changes, so here's V12.2.
Amongst the changes, larger and cleaned-up shield for the bonus and changes in the colors of Brabant, Oostervant en Henegouwen.
I switched the colors of Brabant with Henegouwen but for some reason it looks too heavy in the top. So I replaced the reds on the map for some more brown-orange.

Cadet DubWarrior

Map Contribution (1)

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:05 am

Nice color swap and alteration, I like it. :D

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Postby pamoa on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:44 pm

very very minor things

maybe move border between Antwerpen and Middelburg left
and move Antwerpen name up
so the A isn't over any border

and also flip the bridge between Antwerpen and Beveren
from up-left down-right
to down-left up-right

just to keep you busy ;)
de gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces et donjonnée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Sergeant 1st Class pamoa

Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (8)
Map Contribution (3)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas