Conquer Club

The Conquer 500

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Conquer 500 - Updated 8/30/2009 - [P2]

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:00 am

i agree
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:56 am

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:50 pm

Now that the foundry has a more solid process I would like to start work on this map again... I will submit a design brief to get this map restarted.

=D=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Re: The Conquer 500 - Design Brief Submitted 1/5/2010

Postby Night Strike on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:25 pm

Oh wow, awesome map. And I enjoy NASCAR.

For the car colors/names, I see two possible options for you to take:
  1. Color each of the cars the same as the 8 player colors used on CC. You can then name them using their color. You can mix the pit crew order at the top so it's not listed red, green, blue, etc. from left to right. You can also code the starting pit crew positions to match the player's color.
  2. Name each car as a mod/admin group and color them with the appropriate mod colors. It provides the uniqueness of CC without having to create names.

For gameplay, I think it would be worth considering aligning the Pit Equipment with the specific Car Conditions. Engine attacks Engine, Fuel attack Fuel, and Tires/Jack attack Tires. Tools can start with more neutrals than the other equipment and can attack all 3 Car Conditions.

Add a Start/Finish line. Make sure that background image you used of Indianapolis Speedway is not copyrighted.
Major Night Strike

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:01 pm

Thanx Night ... any chance we can get this moved back to the melting pot and out of mothballs =)

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:31 am

dolomite13 wrote:any chance we can get this moved back to the melting pot

[ Moved ] back to the melting pot under mapmaker request ;)

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby ender516 on Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:23 pm

This map has a lot going for it, but let me make a correction on your Starting Forces information (the second one in your initial post: maybe you should rename it Initial Distribution or some such thing). Since track locations 1 and 26 are starting neutrals, there will be only 28 locations to divide among the players, so quoting your first post but highlighting my changes, we get:
dolomite13 wrote:Starting Forces
Players are assigned the pit crews as starting positions.
Additional track locations excluding 1 and 26 are assigned randomly.

In a 2 player game
- both players would have 4 pit crew each. (8/2)
- both players would have 9 track locations each with 10 remainder set to 3 neutral. (28/3)

In a 3 player game
- all players would have 3 pit crew each with 2 remainder set to 1 neutral. (8/3)
- all players would have 9 track locations each with 1 remainder set to 3 neutral. (28/3)

In a 4 player game
- all players would have 2 pit crew each. (8/4)
- all players would have 7 track locations each with no additional neutrals. (28/4)

In a 5 player game
- all players would have 1 pit crew each with 3 remainder set to 1 neutral. (8/5)
- all players would have 5 track locations each with 3 remainder set to 3 neutral. (28/5)

In a 6 player game
- all players would have 1 pit crew each with 2 remainder set to 1 neutral. (8/6)
- all players would have 4 track locations each with 4 remainder set to 3 neutral. (28/6)

In a 7 player game
- all players would have 1 pit crew each with 1 remainder set to 1 neutral. (8/7)
- all players would have 4 track locations each with no additional neutrals. (28/7)

In a 8 player game
- all players would have 1 pit crew each. (8/8)
- all players would have 3 track locations each with 4 remainder set to 3 neutral. . (28/8)
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:08 pm

Yep i need to look over the whole thing and make sure it all jives... I only work 1/2 day friday and I will do that then :)

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:59 pm

Due to the single lane around the track, I imagine that the initial couple of rounds as people grab little bonuses where possible will be crucial - once somebody is receiving more armies per turn than anybody else, the logical thing would be to build a stack until they have enough to creep around the board slowly.

The only time I can see people making a "dash" for the finish line is in an escalating game with the larger cashes rolling in.

Part of me would like to see a second or even third "lane" (similar to circus maximus perhaps); although you could have more sections on the outer lane (round the bends).

I like it when map ideas get me brainstorming!
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:42 pm

I agree. at least 1 more lane would be very nice.
Major WidowMakers

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:00 pm

MrBenn wrote:Due to the single lane around the track, I imagine that the initial couple of rounds as people grab little bonuses where possible will be crucial - once somebody is receiving more armies per turn than anybody else, the logical thing would be to build a stack until they have enough to creep around the board slowly.

The only time I can see people making a "dash" for the finish line is in an escalating game with the larger cashes rolling in.

Part of me would like to see a second or even third "lane" (similar to circus maximus perhaps); although you could have more sections on the outer lane (round the bends).

Thanks I will see what I can do about additional lanes around the track =)

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby ender516 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:49 pm

dolomite13 wrote:
MrBenn wrote:Due to the single lane around the track, I imagine that the initial couple of rounds as people grab little bonuses where possible will be crucial - once somebody is receiving more armies per turn than anybody else, the logical thing would be to build a stack until they have enough to creep around the board slowly.

Thanks I will see what I can do about additional lanes around the track =)

=D=

This raises the possibility of having a different victory objective. Perhaps holding a single lane all around the track would be practical. Also outer lanes on curves could be longer (more territories), but not adjacent to the corner territory inside the curve. If certain territories at the corners were used for lane changing, you could even have a victory condition of a path around the track that could change lanes at different points. It might be simpler just to put multiple lanes in the straightaways. Lots of possibilities down these lines, eh?
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:19 am

I started making changed to the track but the image isn't really all that friendly to making nice clean lanes so I will be working on it this week to see what I can do with it. It's a little harder with the shape I am using vs the oval track of that gladiator map. Should have something this week.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Re: The Conquer 500 - Gameplay Discussion (Lanes)

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:33 pm

The concept of this map is very good, and is one of the few maps that I am interested to see develop. There is a mixture of opinion about how convoluted the gameplay/instructions are going to be; and there is no doubt that the gameplay is going to need a fair bit of work. Having said that, there is plenty of scope for flexibility while sticking to your vision of the players attempt to maintain their cars working condition while conquering the racetrack.

Here's some food for thought about the racing grid to contemplate while you acquaint yourself with the gameplay guidelines:

[moved to the Gameplay Workshop]
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:04 am

Thanx Benn I will look at that today =)
Cook dolomite13

Postby 00iCon on Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:19 am

MrBenn wrote:Image

What is that?

How about just certain areas, like corners and the final straight, in which you can overtake?

I think one great fallacy is you don't begin in you car...
Corporal 1st Class 00iCon

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:27 am

I downloaded a slotcar track designer program last evening and I think that I can use slot car lanes to show attack direction, the only problem I see thus far is that there are no 3 lane slot car tracks. But I think I can do a decent 2 or 4 lane track so I will continue looking into it for a few days and post some ideas.

00iCon wrote: I think one great fallacy is you don't begin in you car...

Some races you don't start in your car. But I haven't seen one of those since the 70's ... the cartoon Speed Racer is an example of where they stood next to their car and jumped in when the race started. Not every episode but in some =)

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby Doc_Brown on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:59 am

This looks like a great idea! I had a quick thought about how you might lay out the territories when you add extra lanes. I would suggest that the territories in adjacent lanes be offset for the most part. Here's a quick MS Paint sketch of what I mean:
This way, territories on the track can attack 1 and 2 spaces ahead in their own lane, and they can attack the territory diagonally ahead in the adjacent lane (or lanes if you decide to have 3). It would be a bit more difficult to get this to work right around the corners if you have more territories around the outer lane(s). However, you might be able to get around that by saying that you can't change lanes around the steepest parts of the curves (indicated by a thick solid line between the lanes in those sections).
Colonel Doc_Brown

Re: The Conquer 500 - Map & Concept - [Poll]

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:26 pm

MrBenn wrote:The idea you've described reminds me of Conquer Club Racing. It's worth having a read through that thread ;-)

I mentioned this way back when - there might be some ideas in there about how to have multiple lanes; although you don;t necessarily need to have the same number of lanes all the way around the track.

The image I posted above (hand-drawn corner with horses and carriages) is to show how lanes could work around a corner - longe around the outside. In general, staggered lanes (as per the suggestion above) will be more confusing - particularly when it comes to start/finish lines.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Hopscotcher on Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:35 am

I really like this and I really hate racing!!!!

Some wiggle room would definitely be good with an extra lane or partial lane!

My general thought is that since players start on the Crews and the Crews can Bombard each other, this seems to make going 1st very advantageous. Sure, 26 can get the Crews, but that too seems to put too much emphasis on the Pit Crew.

I would Prefer to make it so the Pit Crews can not attack or bombard each other, but have to go through the Pit Equipment. So Crews can attack Equipment and Equipment can Attack Crews, but Crews can't attack each other (just clarifying. I'm tired lol)

This way, the Pits will still be very important, but people will also focus on the track.

Thoughts???
I'm a sucker for Assassin Games

My claim to fame..... Game 6311393
Lieutenant Hopscotcher

Postby hahaha3hahaha on Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:14 am

-deleted-
Last edited by hahaha3hahaha on Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cook hahaha3hahaha

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:56 am

I agree that pits probably shouldn't attack or bombard each other. I will look at alternatives like the equipment.
Cook dolomite13

Postby iancanton on Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:07 pm

u don't have to have many lanes. two are enough. if u have any more, then the track starts to lose its shape.

i also believe that u should receive no track bonuses unless u have fuel in ur car. this will give an extra reason to protect ur car instead of assaulting the pits.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Mad-elph on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:14 am

Being an avid racing fan I might suggest that if you want to add extra lanes, don't do it throughout the track. I'd just add a second racing line to every other corner. This will conform more to the norm of racing, and lessen the burden on you a bit. I am not sure how you will code it so you'd only need one line instead of the entire track... but I will assume that baring an escalating game you'd probably have finished off almost everyone before you get around the track.
Lieutenant Mad-elph

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:25 am

iancanton wrote:u don't have to have many lanes. two are enough. if u have any more, then the track starts to lose its shape.

i also believe that u should receive no track bonuses unless u have fuel in ur car. this will give an extra reason to protect ur car instead of assaulting the pits.

ian. :)

Great idea =)
Cook dolomite13

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas