Conquer Club

The Conquer 500

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Conquer 500 - New Gameplay Ideas (1/28/2010)

Postby Mad-elph on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:18 pm

iancanton wrote:
+1 bonus for every 3 track locations you control while your car has fuel.

ian. :)

I think this is a fine suggestion.
Lieutenant Mad-elph

Re: The Conquer 500 - Gameplay Discussion (Lanes)

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:28 pm

I have been working on making a two lane track but I am having a hell of a time with the graphics on it right now.

I want to do something like a slot car track and have locations either on a single track or on both tracks but creating the base graphics with two lines around it has thus far proven to be incredibly difficult.

I will tray and work on it this evening but it could be a week or two before I have a final graphic. I will post my working graphics as I go along for people to comment on.

=D=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:21 pm

I haven't had time to do any work on this .. I don't want to put the map in mothballs just yet ... I will devote more time when Monsters! is moved into Beta =)
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:05 am

Monsters! is finally in Beta ... I am finishing up graphics on "Gulfe" and will have an update to this map very soon.

Lanes are still a problem ... I have tried making good lane lines many times over the past few months and have been having almost no success. But I will give it another try .

=D=

p.s. I just got engaged =)
Cook dolomite13

Postby yeti_c on Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:28 pm

yeti_c wrote:Note that Objectives aren't allowed to contain continents - and therefore will make your XML VERY large.

C.

Just to point out - this comment is no longer valid.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:30 pm

yeti_c wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Note that Objectives aren't allowed to contain continents - and therefore will make your XML VERY large.

C.

Just to point out - this comment is no longer valid.

C.

YEA!!!
Cook dolomite13

Postby yeti_c on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:56 pm

dolomite13 wrote:p.s. I just got engaged =)

Big Congratulations...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby natty dread on Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:16 pm

Yeah, congratulations dolomite! Don't know how I missed that earlier...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby iancanton on Wed May 12, 2010 4:53 pm

[Moved]

it appears that development of this map has stalled. when u want to continue with the map, one of the cartography volunteers will be able to put the thread back into the foundry system, after an update has been made.

congratulations on ur engagement!

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:30 pm

OK ... I have been pondering this map for a while now and decided that I don't want to do lanes like the circus maximus map ... I however did decide that I would break the track down into 10 segments of 3 locations each. I also decided that I want to create a split map like Arms Race ... and I didn't want a victory condition map type map. So I split the pit crews, cars, and pit equipment into one half and the track into the other half and separated them by a "Winners Circle".

Feel free to submit your feedback =)

=D=

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4016/471 ... cb2e_b.jpg

Click image to enlarge.

Territories: 78
- 24 car conditions (tires, fuel, engine)
- 8 pit crew
- 15 pit equipment
- 30 track locations
- 1 winners circle

Connections
Track Locations
- Track locations can assault other track locations in the same track segment or next segment counter clockwise.
- All track locations can assault the winner circle.
Pit Crews
- Your pit crew can one way assault all of your teams car conditions.
- All pit crews can assault any pit equipment.
- All pit crews can assault the winners circle.
Pit Equipment
- Pit equipment can assault other locations of the same equipment.
- Pit equipment can bombard car conditions of the same name.
Winners Circle
- Can bombard any map location.

Starting Forces
- Cars conditions start with 1 neutral on each location.
- Winners Circle starts with 20 neutrals.
- Pits crews start with 3 on each location.
- Pit equipment starts with 2 neutral on each location.

Bonus Forces
+1 for every 3 sections of track you hold (minimum +1)
+1 for holding all 3 track locations in a given track segment.
+5 for holding one of each piece of pit equipment.
+2 for holding a tools and jack pair.
+1 for each of your teams car conditions you control.
+2 for controlling all 3 of your car conditions
+40 if you hold one track location in each of the 10 track segments.

Deployment
- All car conditions loose 1 per turn.
- Winners Circle resets to 20 each turn.

Starting Forces
Players are assigned the pit crews as starting positions.

In a 2 player game
- both players would have 4 pit crew each. (8/2)
- both players would have 10 track locations each with 10 remainder set to 3 neutral. (30/3)

In a 3 player game
- all players would have 3 pit crew each with 2 remainder set to 1 neutral. (8/3)
- all players would have 10 track locations each. (30/3)

In a 4 player game
- all players would have 2 pit crew each. (8/4)
- all players would have 7 track locations each with 2 remainder set to 3 neutral. (30/4)

In a 5 player game
- all players would have 1 pit crew each with 3 remainder set to 1 neutral. (8/5)
- all players would have 6 track locations each. (30/5)

In a 6 player game
- all players would have 1 pit crew each with 2 remainder set to 1 neutral. (8/6)
- all players would have 5 track locations each. (30/6)

In a 7 player game
- all players would have 1 pit crew each with 1 remainder set to 1 neutral. (8/7)
- all players would have 4 track locations each with 2 remainder set to 3 neutral. (30/7)

In a 8 player game
- all players would have 1 pit crew each. (8/8)
- all players would have 3 track locations each with 6 remainder set to 3 neutral. . (30/8)
Last edited by dolomite13 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cook dolomite13

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:58 am

[Moved]

I'm a little tired right now so let's take this one step at a time. The Winner's Circle: Does that bombard just every territory on the track, or every territory on the map at large?
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:27 am

Evil DIMwit wrote:[Moved]

I'm a little tired right now so let's take this one step at a time. The Winner's Circle: Does that bombard just every territory on the track, or every territory on the map at large?
I was thinking every territory on the map but I was also thinking of having it bombard every territory not on the track and adding "Pit Row" as a place that the crews can attack same as the winners circle and allow it to bombard the track. The track is still the most important that it gets you the big bonus for a complete lap. Not sure overall though I thing bonuses need some tweaking etc...

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Re: The Conquer 500 - Back From The Dead

Postby ender516 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:10 pm

Your recent post says track locations attack clockwise, but the legend say counter-clockwise, the numbering of locations is counter-clockwise, and I think most tracks in RL go counter-clockwise, so I'm guessing the text in the post is in error.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:13 pm

ender516 wrote:Your recent post says track locations attack clockwise, but the legend say counter-clockwise, the numbering of locations is counter-clockwise, and I think most tracks in RL go counter-clockwise, so I'm guessing the text in the post is in error.

Correct
Cook dolomite13

Postby iancanton on Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:56 am

now that u can no longer eliminate someone's pit crew immediately from the start, the gameplay now looks credible. well done! the segment bonuses have the potential to cause difficulties for player 2 in 1v1 games because they will often be unevenly distributed. this can be solved by letting the 10 middle locations of each segment start with either 1 or 2 neutral troops. if this is done, then changing the track location bonus to +1 or +2 for every 4 (with no minimum) instead of +1 for every 3 (with a +1 minimum) will also be beneficial.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:38 pm

iancanton wrote:now that u can no longer eliminate someone's pit crew immediately from the start, the gameplay now looks credible. well done! the segment bonuses have the potential to cause difficulties for player 2 in 1v1 games because they will often be unevenly distributed. this can be solved by letting the 10 middle locations of each segment start with either 1 or 2 neutral troops. if this is done, then changing the track location bonus to +1 or +2 for every 4 (with no minimum) instead of +1 for every 3 (with a +1 minimum) will also be beneficial.

I like the idea of one of the locations per segment starting neutral and changing the bonus to +1 for every 4... because of the additional +1 per whole segment. That makes the total bonus for the whole track +19 (+9 for locations +10 for segments) instead of +20 (+10 for locations +10 for segments) but will help equalize things a bit on starting drops.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby ender516 on Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:11 pm

My math tells me that +1 for every 4 of 30 locations would result in +7, not +9.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:03 am

Here is a map updated with the comments from above I also redid the starting forces random drop info below.

Based on the fact that you will have a +1 bonus to start on average we probably need to add +2 or +3 for holding a pit crew so that you will start with some reinforcements.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1136/472 ... c0b5_b.jpg

Territories: 78
- 24 car conditions (tires, fuel, engine)
- 8 pit crew
- 15 pit equipment
- 30 track locations
- 1 winners circle

Connections
Track Locations
- Track locations can assault other track locations in the same track segment or next segment counter clockwise.
- All track locations can assault the winner circle.
Pit Crews
- Your pit crew can one way assault all of your teams car conditions.
- All pit crews can assault any pit equipment.
- All pit crews can assault the winners circle.
Pit Equipment
- Pit equipment can assault other locations of the same equipment.
- Pit equipment can bombard car conditions of the same name.
Winners Circle
- Can bombard any map location.

Starting Forces
- Cars conditions start with 1 neutral on each location.
- Winners Circle starts with 20 neutrals.
- Pits crews start with 3 on each location.
- Pit equipment starts with 2 neutral on each location.

Bonus Forces
+1 for every 3 sections of track you hold (minimum +1)
+1 for holding all 3 track locations in a given track segment.
+3 for every fuel, tires, engine pit equipment.
+2 for every tools and jack pair.
+1 for each of your teams car conditions you control.
+2 for controlling all 3 of your car conditions
+40 if you hold one track location in each of the 10 track segments.

Deployment
- All car conditions loose 1 per turn.
- Winners Circle resets to 20 neutral each turn.

Starting Forces
Players are assigned the pit crews as starting positions.

In a 2 player game
- both players would have 4 pit crew each. (8/2)
- both players would have 6 track locations each with 8 remainder set to 3 neutral. (20/3)
- starting track bonus +1

In a 3 player game
- all players would have 3 pit crew each with 2 remainder set to 1 neutral. (8/3)
- all players would have 6 track locations each with 2 remainder set to 3 neutral. (20/3)

In a 4 player game
- all players would have 2 pit crew each. (8/4)
- all players would have 5 track locations each. (20/4)

In a 5 player game
- all players would have 1 pit crew each with 3 remainder set to 1 neutral. (8/5)
- all players would have 4 track locations each. (20/5)

In a 6 player game
- all players would have 1 pit crew each with 2 remainder set to 1 neutral. (8/6)
- all players would have 3 track locations each with 2 remainder set to 3 neutral. (20/6)
- starting track bonus +0

In a 7 player game
- all players would have 1 pit crew each with 1 remainder set to 1 neutral. (8/7)
- all players would have 2 track locations each with 6 remainder set to 3 neutral. (20/7)

In a 8 player game
- all players would have 1 pit crew each. (8/8)
- all players would have 2 track locations each with 4 remainder set to 3 neutral. . (20/8)
Cook dolomite13

Postby natty dread on Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:06 am

Ok, this is more a graphics suggestion, but it has to do with the clarity of the map so... I would suggest using visual elements in the legend - right now it's a big wall of text that kinda makes the whole map unattractive, most people don't want to have to read that much to know the rules of a map.

The more of that text you can replace with visual elements, the better...

As for the gameplay, I suggest autodeploys for the pit crews.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:17 am

natty_dread wrote:The more of that text you can replace with visual elements, the better...

I totally agree I will address it in the graphics workshop for certain =)

natty_dread wrote:As for the gameplay, I suggest autodeploys for the pit crews.

+2 per pit autodeploy could work for the pit side ... but should I drop the standard minimum +3 for a map in which case +1 or +0 isn't enough to get rolling and because the pit is separate from the track the autodeploy won't help there. I think it may be time to work on starting forces.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:11 pm

So I was thinking about starting forces and I think this may be rather easy based on the way the map connections work. 3 for player starting areas ... 2 for all neutrals ... and 20 for winners circle.

The track neutrals may need to be bumped to 3 and the car neutrals lowered to 1 but that is a topic for discussion =)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1147/473 ... a91018.jpg

Cook dolomite13

Postby iancanton on Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:24 pm

there is +1 for each of ur team's car conditions and +2 for all of your team's car conditions. if u hold all 3 of ur team's car conditions, then will u receive +2 for ur team's car conditions, or will it be +3 and an additional +2, making +5? this needs to be made clear.

natty_dread wrote:I suggest autodeploys for the pit crews.

perhaps not at this stage (trying to reduce first mover advantage), but a +1 auto-deploy might help to keep some balance if the track becomes too attractive relative to the pits.

dolomite13 wrote:should I drop the standard minimum +3 for a map in which case +1 or +0 isn't enough to get rolling

no, keep the standard +3 minimum. this lets players choose whether to deploy in the pits or on the track.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:48 pm

iancanton wrote:there is +1 for each of ur team's car conditions and +2 for all of your team's car conditions. if u hold all 3 of ur team's car conditions, then will u receive +2 for ur team's car conditions, or will it be +3 and an additional +2, making +5? this needs to be made clear. ian. :)

The total for the car is +5

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby iancanton on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:40 am

for the pit equipment bonus, do u mean +3 for every fuel + tires + engine and +2 for every tools + jack, so that u receive +5 if u have 1 of each? the alternative is that every fuel is +3, every tires is +3, every engine is +3, every tools is +2 and every jack is +2, giving +13 for holding 1 of each.

comparing the bonuses available in the pits and on the track, it looks as if there isn't much incentive to deploy on the track. at the moment, the winning method is likely to be to gain bonuses from the car conditions and put everything into a struggle to hold the pit equipment, then bombard the pit crew from the winner's circle, with mopping-up of the track being left till last. instead of +1 for every 4 track locations, how about +2 for every white track location (perhaps auto-deploy)? with an initial deployment of 3 and potential +2 bonuses in both halves of the board, each player will have then a real choice to make between pits and track, instead of automatically deploying on pit crew.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:02 pm

iancanton wrote:for the pit equipment bonus, do u mean +3 for every fuel + tires + engine and +2 for every tools + jack, so that u receive +5 if u have 1 of each? the alternative is that every fuel is +3, every tires is +3, every engine is +3, every tools is +2 and every jack is +2, giving +13 for holding 1 of each.

comparing the bonuses available in the pits and on the track, it looks as if there isn't much incentive to deploy on the track. at the moment, the winning method is likely to be to gain bonuses from the car conditions and put everything into a struggle to hold the pit equipment, then bombard the pit crew from the winner's circle, with mopping-up of the track being left till last. instead of +1 for every 4 track locations, how about +2 for every white track location (perhaps auto-deploy)? with an initial deployment of 3 and potential +2 bonuses in both halves of the board, each player will have then a real choice to make between pits and track, instead of automatically deploying on pit crew.

I was going with holding 1 tools and 1 jack gets +2 ... if you hold all jacks all 3 tools you would get +6 I did this because those two equipment can't bombard car conditions. Holding 1 tires + 1 engine + 1 fuel gets +3. If you hold all 9 you would get +9. Holding all pit equipment would get you +15... if this seems like too much then I would drop holding one of each (fuel, tires, engine) to +1 because they are strategic positions to bombard car conditions.

I like removing the +1 per 4 locations on the track as well. Increasing the central track location to 3 neutral to start and giving it an autodeploy 2 would guarantee units on the track side. Holding a complete track segment should still give you a bonus although increasing that to +2 per segment would also give you incentive to go for the track...

You are right in that the pit/equipment/car side of the map would be hotly contested and the main place you would drop reinforcements if the track didn't have some built in way to sort of "force" reinforcements there.

I do want both half's to play a pivotal roll. But in the end its a race track simulation and I want the pits side to support conquering the track side so that you can "win" the race and bombard the remaining competition out of the race. It might be worth investigating having the winners circle only accessible from the track rather than from the pits and add a neutral 10 "pit row" location that crews can assault and then bombard the track. What ya think?

In the end this one will succeed or fail based on how the bonuses balance the map.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas