Conquer Club

Rail Africa [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: RAIL AFRICA [D] (V12)P10: Colour additions

Postby RedBaron0 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:47 am

The relief texture on the continent itself was pretty good I thought, now it's just tan. I know USA and Europe are just black, but you've got some texture on Australia which is a rugged continent same as Africa. I think you need a bit of texture on the land, not necessarily what was there before, just a little something.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Re: RAIL AFRICA [D] (V12)P10: Colour additions

Postby cairnswk on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:04 am

RedBaron0 wrote:The relief texture on the continent itself was pretty good I thought, now it's just tan. I know USA and Europe are just black, but you've got some texture on Australia which is a rugged continent same as Africa. I think you need a bit of texture on the land, not necessarily what was there before, just a little something.

Does this look any better RedBaron0?

I've also tidied up the centering on the LIne letters on each station.
And of course given some texture to the background.

Click image to enlarge.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: RAIL AFRICA [D] (V13)P11: Texture Continent

Postby AndrewB on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:34 am

I'd say it definitely looks better with a texture behind.

otherwise is was too bland i thought...
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby RedBaron0 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:45 am

I like the texture, maybe just a smidgen lighter.

The EL Pharaoh express color at Cairo is different than the others in the same line.
In the legend the text "M Victoria Falls Exp" is blurry as is "F The Continental" but not as much as the M line text.

For gameplay though how's your numbers look bonus-wise? The main stations being a 3 seems a little low, a 5 territory bonus with 5 borders will be tough to hold, especially if its only worth 3. And it looks like the bonuses fro C, E, and O just have 3 territories which could fairly regularly be dropped on the start. Are there going to be neutrals coded into these bonuses at all?
ImageImage

Postby cairnswk on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:48 pm

Please F5 for the above image guys...

AndrewB wrote:I'd say it definitely looks better with a texture behind.
otherwise is was too bland i thought...

Thanks AndrewB

RedBaron0 wrote:I like the texture, maybe just a smidgen lighter.
Done
The EL Pharaoh express color at Cairo is different than the others in the same line.
Done
In the legend the text "M Victoria Falls Exp" is blurry as is "F The Continental" but not as much as the M line text.
I've added a border to those texts in the legend so they should come up clearer now
EDIT: no that didn't happen, so i might have to change the font in the legend...let me see.
EDIT 2. Changed the font and spacing in the legend but i don't know if it's changed much. Perhaps the angle gives the distortion and the translation to .jpg also.

For gameplay though how's your numbers look bonus-wise? The main stations being a 3 seems a little low, a 5 territory bonus with 5 borders will be tough to hold, especially if its only worth 3. And it looks like the bonuses fro C, E, and O just have 3 territories which could fairly regularly be dropped on the start. Are there going to be neutrals coded into these bonuses at all?
Changed to 4, 5 would be too much. and yes, the neutrals are already on the map. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:40 pm

Looking good cairns. F and M on the legend are a little blurry, but I can at least read them now :) So when can we play this :D
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby cairnswk on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:08 pm

isaiah40 wrote:Looking good cairns. F and M on the legend are a little blurry, but I can at least read them now :) So when can we play this :D
That's something good at least :)
Play? When it gets stamped three more times by the Mods, sorry but even i can't hurry them along. :(
Private cairnswk

Re: RAIL AFRICA [D] (V13)P11: Stamps?

Postby captainwalrus on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:36 pm

what is the white outline sort of thing? It is smaller and larger at different points, but not in a way that seems logical.
This deserves stamps.
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby cairnswk on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:45 pm

captainwalrus wrote:what is the white outline sort of thing? It is smaller and larger at different points, but not in a way that seems logical.
This deserves stamps.

does it have to be logical? afterall it is simply meant to be a representation.
If one were to look at coastline of any continent from an altitude perspective, there are differing heights of coastlilne from beaches to rugged cliffs..... ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby ender516 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:40 pm

cairnswk wrote:
captainwalrus wrote:what is the white outline sort of thing? It is smaller and larger at different points, but not in a way that seems logical.
This deserves stamps.

If one were to look at coastline of any continent from an altitude perspective, there are differing heights of coastlilne from beaches to rugged cliffs..... ;)

Well, sorry, but I don't think that the irregular white outline works. It just looks like a printing error. It doesn't give me the impression of height (or depth or whatever) at all.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby RedBaron0 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:51 pm

On a gameplay note, looks good. Add a 3 neutral to one of the O line territories(O - ATV I think might be best) and I think you're good. Perhaps you don't really need the 3 neutral on N - PRA with it being 4 territories and one of them in the main station at Capetown.
ImageImage

Postby ender516 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:12 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:On a gameplay note, looks good. Add a 3 neutral to one of the O line territories(O - ATV I think might be best) and I think you're good. Perhaps you don't really need the 3 neutral on N - PRA with it being 4 territories and one of them in the main station at Capetown.

I thought the neutrals were all selected to prevent bonuses on the initial drop, and I could have sworn that the Madagascar line had been covered that way.

Postby cairnswk on Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:30 am

ender516 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
This deserves stamps.

Well, sorry, but I don't think that the irregular white outline works. It just looks like a printing error. It doesn't give me the impression of height (or depth or whatever) at all.

Well i'm sorry too that it doesn't work for you, but it does work for me.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:34 am

RedBaron0 wrote:On a gameplay note, looks good. Add a 3 neutral to one of the O line territories(O - ATV I think might be best) and I think you're good. Perhaps you don't really need the 3 neutral on N - PRA with it being 4 territories and one of them in the main station at Capetown.

I'd prefer to leave PRA neutral where it is since that was worked by another person.
I'll add one to O-ATV, if that makes you happy.
Private cairnswk

Postby RedBaron0 on Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:55 am

cairnswk wrote:

I'd prefer to leave PRA neutral where it is since that was worked by another person.

I'm happy one way or the other. I just figure since you've got neutrals in the other 3 territory bonuses, that it should be the same there. Other thing I figure is if we talk about stuff, nitpicky and such, the more likely Cartography mods will take notice and then stamps get issued... in theory. ;)
ImageImage

Postby cairnswk on Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:03 am

RedBaron0 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

I'm happy one way or the other. I just figure since you've got neutrals in the other 3 territory bonuses, that it should be the same there. Other thing I figure is if we talk about stuff, nitpicky and such, the more likely Cartography mods will take notice and then stamps get issued... in theory. ;)

Yes, that can be an influence, but there has to be a point where the talking stops and indication that everyone is happy with the map to be stamped -> in that case calls for stamping could be made from the foundry. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby number five on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:33 pm

wutever i will not be playing this unless i choose random
Corporal number five

Postby ender516 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:42 am

cairnswk wrote:
RedBaron0 wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Yes, that can be an influence, but there has to be a point where the talking stops and indication that everyone is happy with the map to be stamped -> in that case calls for stamping could be made from the foundry. ;)

I too would support a 3 neutral on O-ATV, and Gameplay and Graphics stamps immediately after that.

Sometimes I wonder if good-looking maps like this one suffer from complacency among the viewers of map threads: "Hmm, that looks good, it will fit right in with the other Rail maps, no need for me to stick my oar in..." And it probably doesn't help that those who post just to say "Yay, lookin' good!" can be slapped down for not making a real contribution. I don't think I have seen it in this thread, but it does happen. The guidelines say a map needs community support, and if someone is completely satisfied with a map as it is, how else can support be shown?

Postby cairnswk on Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:35 pm

number five wrote:wutever i will not be playing this unless i choose random

and that's ok to have that choice.
Thanks for dropping by though and letting us know. :)
Private cairnswk

Re: RAIL AFRICA [D] (V14)

Postby cairnswk on Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:54 pm

Andrew B. Please note for the xml.
ATV - O has 3 neutral starts on it, thanks,

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by cairnswk on Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:55 pm

ender516 wrote:...
I too would support a 3 neutral on O-ATV, and Gameplay and Graphics stamps immediately after that.
Done.

Sometimes I wonder if good-looking maps like this one suffer from complacency among the viewers of map threads: "Hmm, that looks good, it will fit right in with the other Rail maps, no need for me to stick my oar in..." And it probably doesn't help that those who post just to say "Yay, lookin' good!" can be slapped down for not making a real contribution. I don't think I have seen it in this thread, but it does happen. The guidelines say a map needs community support, and if someone is completely satisfied with a map as it is, how else can support be shown?

Sometimes, i think some just don't bother at all. :(
Private cairnswk

Re: RAIL AFRICA [D] (V14)P12

Postby AndrewB on Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:32 am

Version 4 of the XML is created:

http://bolonniy.com/CC/Rail_Africa_v4.xml

Changes:

Added 3 neutrals to ATV
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:40 pm

I think you should use starting positions instead of using 4 neutrals regions.
Now you have 78 regions, 4 neutrals...with 74 regions in the starting drop you have only bad numbers (24 in 2/3 players, 18 in 4 players, 12 with 6 and 9 with 8p.
With two groups of two starting positions you can avoid from easy small bonuses dropped at the start and in the same time you will have 26 regions for 2/3 players game, 19 with 4p and respectively 15,13,11,9 for the others.
With 78 regions you have the 10,25% that ANY player will start with a 3 regions bonus in a 3p game, that is an acceptable percentage.

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Danyael on Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:52 pm

thanks for changing the m bonus on the ticket(colour) now i can read everything
Corporal 1st Class Danyael

Postby iancanton on Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:42 pm

is there any possibility of adding johannesburg and lagos?

from the rail map below, johannesburg appears to be the main long-distance hub of the south african rail system. it also has, by some measures, africa's largest railway station. there's probably not enough room to put it on our map if we put in 3 platforms, but it is a glaring omission, given the city's prominence in recent african history. how about letting one of the lines go through JNB johannesburg, or substituting it for PRA pretoria?

although nigeria has 15% of africa's population and about twice as many people as the second country, egypt, it doesn't have any stations on the map at all! LOS(?) lagos is its commercial centre and merits a place between ACC accra and YND yaounde.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Af ... erritories

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas