Conquer Club

Chicago [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Chicago [D,GP,GR,XML] [Beta]

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:17 pm

Congrats! =D> =D> =D>

I'm looking forward to playing my first game on this map!
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Cool

Postby VectorxMan on Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:20 pm

thank you for using a few lines from the El and not Metra, although you can drink on the metra ;)
Private 1st Class VectorxMan

Postby Shatners Bassoon on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:12 am

Nice map Scott,well done....great for esc dubs.
31-29
Major Shatners Bassoon

Postby MrBenn on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:39 pm

How goes things with Chicago?
Any further thoughts/feedback?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby laddida on Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:09 pm

MrBenn wrote:How goes things with Chicago?

so far plays great no complaints :)
General laddida

Postby Peter Gibbons on Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:04 pm

MrBenn wrote:How goes things with Chicago?
I might be in the minority, but I had agreement from the players that I played my first game with...

I'm thinking the map might look better with visible army circles. Totally a cosmetic thing, and if it was tried earlier in the thread and ditched (I forget if it was), ignore my suggestion. But anyway, something felt weird about the visual and I really think that was it.

Otherwise, great map.
Major Peter Gibbons

Postby ShreddingMyNotes on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:58 pm

Wouldn't it be more appropriate for it to say "Pilsen" instead of "West Town"? I've never heard the term "West Town" while living in that area. Pilsen might be too specific, but at least it would be accurate to the neighborhood, eh?
Corporal 1st Class ShreddingMyNotes

Postby Scott-Land on Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:31 am

ShreddingMyNotes wrote:Wouldn't it be more appropriate for it to say "Pilsen" instead of "West Town"? I've never heard the term "West Town" while living in that area. Pilsen might be too specific, but at least it would be accurate to the neighborhood, eh?

Have no problem changing the name-- not sure if Lack will want to reload the images for that type of change tho'. Mr Benn would know more about such things? tbh, not sure if it will warrant a change as Final Forge is typically directed more towards game play.
Major Scott-Land

Postby iancanton on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:32 pm

such changes are indeed possible; u will need to submit new images (large and small) plus new xml. since we're so far seeing no gameplay or graphics complaints about anything at all - other than peter's suggestion on troop circles - we can be reasonably confident that this won't be the first of a great number of beta revisions, so feel free to make the change as and when u're ready.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Scott-Land on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:03 pm

iancanton wrote:such changes are indeed possible; u will need to submit new images (large and small) plus new xml. since we're so far seeing no gameplay or graphics complaints about anything at all - other than peter's suggestion on troop circles - we can be reasonably confident that this won't be the first of a great number of beta revisions, so feel free to make the change as and when u're ready.

ian. :)

I was referring to the name change of West Town to Pilsen... as far as the army circles are concerned, if anyone wants to volunteer to redo the xml-- I can slap some circles on the map but that (graphical) ship has already sailed. I'm not spending hours re-coordinating the xml for circles at this point ( considering there's been only one complaint ). ;)

Ps. I've got three active games and once those are finished, I'm going to take an indefinite leave of absence so I'll take care of the name change within the week or so before I sign out. Hopefully that will be enough to get it through Beta as there hasn't been a game play issue / problem in the weeks it's been in beta.
Major Scott-Land

Postby Peter Gibbons on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:45 pm

To be clear, I wouldn't classify it as a complaint. Just something that a few of us in a 4-player game thought might make the map a bit better. With that said, it's one of those things that might make it look worse--so if it's a ton of work (I have no idea how long these things take), then I totally understand not having a go at it.
Major Peter Gibbons

Postby Scott-Land on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:12 pm

Peter Gibbons wrote:To be clear, I wouldn't classify it as a complaint. Just something that a few of us in a 4-player game thought might make the map a bit better. With that said, it's one of those things that might make it look worse--so if it's a ton of work (I have no idea how long these things take), then I totally understand not having a go at it.

Several months ago in the middle of the graphical stage ( I wanna say pages 5-9 ), I tried several variations of army circles and it did look a bit cluttered. Without the circles, it also helps separate/distinguish the rail stations. Definitely something that was tried, considered, then ultimately discounted for several reasons. Like I said, I have no objections to anyone that wants to volunteer and redo the xml if it becomes a major issue. If you take a look through those pages, I don't think it adds that much value to the map itself tbh.
Major Scott-Land

Postby MrBenn on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:40 pm

The addition of army circles is generally a moot point unless there are severe complains about visibility of army numbers.

Any territory name-changes will require new XML and new images; I don't recall whether this went live before/after the change to the XML header information (ie most of it is no longer required)...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:26 pm

Further to the above, is the territory name-change something that is actually going to happen? If so, then I think that's the only thing keeping this map in Beta. :-$
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby laddida on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:57 pm

i dont think change of anything is neccsisary
General laddida

Postby Scott-Land on Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:47 pm

I think we're good to go Mr Benn, I looked up the actual map of Chicago again and made some calls , and West Town, I believe is a better fit. Would have to agree with Greg ( Laddi) considering he is native of Chicago like the many that have posted.

Thanks again everyone for the great feedback in the actual making of this map-- hope everyone continues to enjoy it.

Cheers~
Major Scott-Land

Postby MrBenn on Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:57 am

Quenching

---The Beta period has concluded for the Chicago Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready to be released into live play.

ImageCongratulations Scott-Land, your shiny new medal is well-earned =D>

Conquer Club, enjoy!

--MrBenn
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Beckytheblondie on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:03 am

good news
2011-11-07 14:19:43 - StinknLincoln: whoa, what happened?
2011-11-07 14:19:50 - Beckytheblondie: Becky happened
Captain Beckytheblondie

Postby riskfan1 on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:22 am

Now time for an LA map
Cook riskfan1

Postby laddida on Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:42 pm

Great congrats scotty boy now lets own this in clan wars :mrgreen:
General laddida

Postby natty dread on Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:58 am

I just want to say this map is great fun for 6p dubs with no spoils.

Sadly I don't see many people playing dubs on this map... hard to get games filled. Everyone should try no spoils dubs on this map... it's awesome!
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby lewisd23 on Tue May 11, 2010 12:10 pm

West Town should be Pilsen.
West Loop should be West Town.
Wicker Park should be Bucktown.

Just my suggestions. At the least you shouldn't have West Town below the West Loop.
Colonel lewisd23

Re: Chicago [Quenched]

Postby copedog on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:10 pm

A great map, it represents well the town I call home. I suppose it may be late for changes, but I agree that Pilsen would be a better label for the area labeled West Town. West Town is a pretty broad catch-all that includes Ukie Village, East Village, Noble Square and probably Wicker Park depending on who you ask. West Town is certainly out of place when it's south of West Loop. I'd put the West Town label on the territory named Wicker Park.

I also played several games before realizing that Roseland and Gresham were connected. Now I know better, but that area of the graphic could maybe be cleaned up a bit.

I see that this board has already been quenched, so I don't expect any changes soon, just thought I'd throw my thoughts in there. On the whole I do think it's a great map and congrats to ScottLand for doing such a wonderful job. I especially like the helicopters. There are only a few hospitals in Chicago with helipads, and I think it's a nice touch that that's reflected in this map.

Good luck in all your games,

Rob
Private copedog

Re: Chicago [Quenched]

Postby midor on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:49 pm

Definitely too late for this, but just in case you ever do an edit. Rose Hill is actually Rosehill. And the Redline is too short on both ends. It should go all the way to the Northern Border and a lot farther south (it ends at 95th).

Other than that it looks great.
Private midor

Previous

Return to The Atlas