Conquer Club

The HIVE [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The HIVE *V20*- [AdvD, D,GP,GX,XML,FF,Beta]

Postby Gilligan on Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:26 pm

TheMissionary wrote:It just took me 45 minutes to take my turn on this map. I could just imagine if I had a set to cash. Has anyone considered the fact that sometimes you won't be able to finish your turn in an hour?

It's a good point... I remember 3 games or so where it took me 35 minutes to run the board...And it was NYC and Forbidden City, I think.... Where the size isn't even close.
Captain Gilligan

Postby ender516 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:09 pm

Gilligan wrote:
TheMissionary wrote:It just took me 45 minutes to take my turn on this map. I could just imagine if I had a set to cash. Has anyone considered the fact that sometimes you won't be able to finish your turn in an hour?

It's a good point... I remember 3 games or so where it took me 35 minutes to run the board...And it was NYC and Forbidden City, I think.... Where the size isn't even close.

Well, I know I spend a lot of time on some of my turns, but I minimize it by planning my strategies (where to attack and where to stop) before hitting the Begin button. I occasionally find the Assault Odds add-on with its Pathfinder feature useful for this, but it is difficult to coordinate multiple attacks through it. (I have opened multiple windows on a single game to try alternatives.)
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Gilligan on Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:11 pm

ender516 wrote:
Gilligan wrote:

Well, I know I spend a lot of time on some of my turns, but I minimize it by planning my strategies (where to attack and where to stop) before hitting the Begin button. I occasionally find the Assault Odds add-on with its Pathfinder feature useful for this, but it is difficult to coordinate multiple attacks through it. (I have opened multiple windows on a single game to try alternatives.)

So did I when I played those turns. It was an 8 player game, with all 8 still alive at the beginning of the turn and I just kept cashing till there was none left.
Captain Gilligan

Postby ender516 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:49 pm

Gilligan wrote:
ender516 wrote:
Gilligan wrote:

So did I when I played those turns. It was an 8 player game, with all 8 still alive at the beginning of the turn and I just kept cashing till there was none left.

Oh, well, it would be difficult to plan that sort of turn. You can't know that you will be able to eliminate each player in turn, and mid-turn deployments will also need thought while the clock is ticking. Seven in one turn, eh? Sounds like Jack the Giant Killer! :D

Postby ATLBravosfan on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:43 pm

Don't know if anyone has posted this or not, but the region with D14 and D15 takes two territories to defend it, whereas every other color of that region you only have to hold a one territory choke point.
Brigadier ATLBravosfan

Postby lgoasklucyl on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:58 pm

This must be an internet speed issue. I cashed a set of 80+, eliminated someone, cashed again, did the rest of my turn, and was done in under fifteen minutes.

No screw-ups, no mis-advances, and we ended up winning.

Looks like you gotta speed things up a bit ;)

It's huge, requires thinking, but I love it!
Sergeant 1st Class lgoasklucyl

Postby army of nobunaga on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:01 pm

lgoasklucyl wrote:

This must be an internet speed issue. I cashed a set of 80+, eliminated someone, cashed again, did the rest of my turn, and was done in under fifteen minutes.

No screw-ups, no mis-advances, and we ended up winning.

Looks like you gotta speed things up a bit ;)

It's huge, requires thinking, but I love it!

=D>
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

The HIVE *V20*

Postby Nzen on Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:32 pm

ATLBravosfan wrote:Don't know if anyone has posted this or not, but the region with D14 and D15 takes two territories to defend it, whereas every other color of that region you only have to hold a one territory choke point.

Actually two other clusers, I1 & H9 also have openings on two tiles.

Thanks Widowmakers, I am exceedingly glad you pushed this map through to completion.
Sergeant 1st Class Nzen

Postby lokisgal on Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:47 pm

lgoasklucyl wrote:It's huge, requires thinking, but I love it!

You're a sick man lgo
Lieutenant lokisgal
SoC Training Adviser

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:31 pm

I hope everyone is enjoying the map. I will be getting to the double digit fix this week. I have been busy with stuff outside CC but I will try to get it done.

Thanks for your patience.
Major WidowMakers

Postby MrBenn on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:16 pm

Cheers WM ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby bengen on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:36 am

Is there a way to make a non spoils or chained/limited reinforcements work on this map...
Sergeant bengen

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:13 pm

Here are the fixed double digit cells. Someone still needs to update the XML as well.

Large
Click image to enlarge.

Small
Click image to enlarge.
Major WidowMakers

Postby ender516 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:13 am

If your original XML coder is unavailable, I could brush this up. Just let me know.

Postby jammyjames on Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:09 am

ustus wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:
00iCon wrote:
yeti_c wrote:
jammyjames wrote:Okay quite a big suggestion here:

I played a speed game on this earlier with our man AAfitz Game 6319308

This game took us about 45 minutes to complete, most of the time was spent mopping up armies at the end of the game, i think that instead of the middle honeycomb we could have say an objective with 1000 men on it... this would make finishing the game so much quicker and easier. either that or put say 400 armies on it, and then make it a bombardment spot to bombard all territs...

Just a suggestion

The Queen bee - perhaps?!

C.

+1 to that, though i have yet to experience a hunt for the last player. I wouldn't think that it would take more that 2 turns though...

Took like 10 for meā€¦

Although I haven't gotten to try the map out yet, adding bombardment of any kind would put me off the map almost entirely. I have been watching the development of this map because I love classic gameplay without all the bells and whistles some ppl are so fond of (bombardment, i guess really, cuz i've come to like the idea of one way attacks). So for me, as soon as bombardments or an objective are introduced, the map loses a lot of its appeal. I'll probably still try it if that's the case, but to have a map this massive with purely classic gameplay would be worth ten rounds of mop-up to me. That's just my ten cents.

the bombardment would only come into effect to mop up the armies. there would be no way of gaining enough men while contesting the other player to take the spot... it would not ewffect gameplay in any way, just make finishing the game easier.
Corporal 1st Class jammyjames

Postby MrBenn on Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:23 pm

The original XML was concocted by killerpit4e and EVIL Dimwit, but it should be an easy (if time-consuming) fix to go through and add leading 0s to the territory names.

In the meantime, I've been meaning to request this for some time, but I have just added the following text to the guidelines for the Forge:
While the map is nearing the end of the Beta phase, the mapmaker(s) will be asked to populate the Map Portal Database.

I'd be grateful if you (or your representative) could oblige, and also notify in this thread once it's done ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby ender516 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:18 am

Well, I had some time on my hands, and with a good programming editor like XEmacs, the XML update for the double digit naming was a breeze. Unfortunately, fileden is running like a pig right now, so I cannot post a link. WM, shall I mail you a copy? I can try fileden again tomorrow.

EDIT: Well, tomorrow has come and gone, and the upload succeeded. Here is the link if you wish to examine it:
Hive_revised.xml

Postby MrBenn on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:19 am

ender516 wrote:Well, I had some time on my hands, and with a good programming editor like XEmacs, the XML update for the double digit naming was a breeze. Unfortunately, fileden is running like a pig right now, so I cannot post a link. WM, shall I mail you a copy? I can try fileden again tomorrow.

EDIT: Well, tomorrow has come and gone, and the upload succeeded. Here is the link if you wish to examine it:
Hive_revised.xml

Was the only change the addition of leading zeroes?

PS. I like your Blue Meanie avatar 8-[
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby ender516 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:49 pm

MrBenn wrote:
ender516 wrote:Well, I had some time on my hands, and with a good programming editor like XEmacs, the XML update for the double digit naming was a breeze. Unfortunately, fileden is running like a pig right now, so I cannot post a link. WM, shall I mail you a copy? I can try fileden again tomorrow.

Hive_revised.xml

Was the only change the addition of leading zeroes?

PS. I like your Blue Meanie avatar 8-[

Yes, that is all I changed. Here is the output of the Cygwin diff command applied to what I started with and what I finished with: Hive_diffs.txt. Hopefully, I did not alter the original in the process of getting it to my machine, or my version in the process of putting it up on fileden.

P.S. Thank you, but that's no Blue Meanie, that's Jeremy, the Nowhere Man. Say, wouldn't the Glove be an awesome avatar? :shock:

Re: The HIVE *V20*

Postby 00iCon on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:45 pm

Nzen wrote:
ATLBravosfan wrote:Don't know if anyone has posted this or not, but the region with D14 and D15 takes two territories to defend it, whereas every other color of that region you only have to hold a one territory choke point.

Actually two other clusers, I1 & H9 also have openings on two tiles.

Thanks Widowmakers, I am exceedingly glad you pushed this map through to completion.

I noticed many instances of this, especially with the 3 territory regions. i guess some parts of the map become more desirable to hold...
Corporal 1st Class 00iCon

Postby MrBenn on Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:40 pm

Updated files sent to lack:
WidowMakers wrote:Here are the fixed double digit cells. Someone still needs to update the XML as well.

Large
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/336/behlv07.png
Small
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/9228/bhsv21.png

ender516 wrote:Hive_revised.xml
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:54 am

MrBenn wrote:Updated files sent to lack:
WidowMakers wrote:Here are the fixed double digit cells. Someone still needs to update the XML as well.

Large
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/336/behlv07.png
Small
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/9228/bhsv21.png

ender516 wrote:Hive_revised.xml

The update has gone live!
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby killerpit4e on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:54 pm

=)
Private 1st Class killerpit4e

Postby ManBungalow on Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:27 am

lackattack wrote:We've expanded the objective to include continents. This will lead to maps with more flexible winning objectives like "hold 60% of the world". For more information about map development, please visit the Map Foundry.

I was hoping that a victory condition of that type could be implemented here.
There have been requests for it throughout this thread before the XML update was made. At least you know it's possible.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby MrBenn on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:47 pm

ManBungalow wrote:
lackattack wrote:We've expanded the objective to include continents. This will lead to maps with more flexible winning objectives like "hold 60% of the world". For more information about map development, please visit the Map Foundry.

I was hoping that a victory condition of that type could be implemented here.
There have been requests for it throughout this thread before the XML update was made. At least you know it's possible.

Assuming it's something that WM would be happy to implement, how much of the map should be required (in terms of territory numbers - there are 350 in total)
Lieutenant MrBenn

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas