Conquer Club

CRICKET: SILLY MID-ON

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: CRICKET: SILLY MID-ON V2(p4) - Four Run discussion?

Postby cairnswk on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:30 pm

Dexsting wrote:....
I was thinking 2 nuetrals for the two battsman, 4 neutrals for the fours, 2 neutral for the 1 runs, and 6 neutrals for the 6s.
OK, i understand now. not a bad idea :)
Also, I'm sure by the time this gets a few more drafts it'll happen, but hte current bounes seem pretty smushed up int he legend.
Yes, sure it will change. ;)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:31 pm

sinctheassasin wrote:...Shapes and symbols on the map would help fir this too. 8-)

What would you suggest ?
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:45 pm

brian fletcher wrote:i said this in an earlier post cairnes but wouldnt it be clearer if we simply named the batsmen on the balcony bat 3, bat 4 etc?
the public 1to 11.... are 5 and 6 connectable? maybe a walkway could connect them.
england are challenging australia, not is.
feidling should be fielding
12th man wouldnt bring drinks onto the field of play during tea.
union jack (flag) and australian flag would be better seeing as they are the 2 teams.
what about a link from the police room to the police?

Brian i don't know what map you're looking at, but version 2 has some of these fixed. Please F5 to refresh your browser.
The piublic are 1 to 11, and i will connect 5 and 6, but i think it might have to be behind the media centre.
I'm not in favour of simply Batsman 1 to 12 in the Pavillion.
A. It doesn't tell anyone who hasn't played cricket before anything about the actual names of positions that each person holds and is therefore eductational
B. mixing them up alpahbvetically like they are now at least gives players the opportunity of not getting confused in their choice in the drop lists too much apart from Batsman 1 to 4
There is a ink from the police room to PC3...its the blue line around the edge of the field running in front of Sheial to Alex.
I had changed the title to read....It's drinks on Day One, so there is no probs with 12th man being on the field.
Where is "feidling" i thought i had changed that?
I think "is", "are" and "has" are all OK in the title. Makes english sense to me.
The Flags, well ok, but where do you want them. ON top of the Pavillion?
Private cairnswk

Postby brian fletcher on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:46 pm

what are you talking about?
the wording is.... England is challenging Australia. (that is wrong grammer)
England being a singular country, your reckoning is that somehow there are more than one. depends on the context.
England are challenging Australia is correct. they are a team. "they" infers more than one entity.
England is a beautiful country is also correct. England as a whole is singular
Lieutenant brian fletcher
SoC Training Adviser

Postby cairnswk on Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:10 pm

brian fletcher wrote:what are you talking about?
the wording is.... England is challenging Australia. (that is wrong grammer)
England being a singular country, your reckoning is that somehow there are more than one. depends on the context.
England are challenging Australia is correct. they are a team. "they" infers more than one entity.
England is a beautiful country is also correct. England as a whole is singular

Perhaps i simply need to change it to read
England is fielding and 12th man has drinks. Australia is challenging England with fine batting.
How's that. Everyone is now in the present tense of the verb "to be" :)
Private cairnswk

Postby sinctheassasin on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:42 pm

Yeah, this guy doesn't have very good grammer, but he won't listen to me, or other logical thinking for that matter, so you might as well change it

England is still nit plural though, and that the only way are could be used
Woop Woop, i love conquer club, why'd i leave for a year?
Who LIkes finishing what they started? :D
Corporal sinctheassasin

Re: CRICKET: SILLY MID-ON V3

Postby cairnswk on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:14 pm

Version 3.
Added:
1. Some more impassable walls mainly around the media centre and police room to ensure there is no doubt as to what borders what
2. the picket fence all around the boundary, with gates only at PC3, the line into the police room, and into to Pavillion.

Adjusted:
1. The legend, the reference to the home of cricket has been removed, so there is no issues possibly arising later on
2. the legend has been fleshed out a bit to give some eye space.

Small Map
show

Large Map
Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: CRICKET: SILLY MID-ON V3(p4) - Impassables added

Postby captainwalrus on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:51 pm

ummm....
Why are the police on the feild?
Whatever, I don't really know cricket and don't understand this really at all. How do the fielders connect?
What does the title mean?
What does a a six attack?
Why are there so many bars?

edit: just noticed the streaker, that eplains the police
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby cairnswk on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:17 pm

captainwalrus wrote:...
Whatever, I don't really know cricket and don't understand this really at all. How do the fielders connect?

The legend says "All members of the Fielding Team link automatically with each other via ball throws (which in CC speak means they can all attack each other)
captain..., Please go the page 1 of this thread, i've added some info to help those who don't understand.
What does the title mean?
If you're referring to Silly Mid-On, it's a field position and placed in the title to make it catchy and a bit of fun.
What does a a six attack?
Any bordering spectator
Why are there so many bars?
Those are simply the way the field is cut, same as in baseball that i have seen. But i will reduce the opacity of that later.
edit: just noticed the streaker, that eplains the police
Good.
Private cairnswk

Postby sinctheassasin on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:10 pm

Along with shapes and symbols, much more vivid color would be helpful and eyecatching for somebody browsing thru the maps. Your bland pastels are really the only thing I don't like about the majority of your maps.
Corporal sinctheassasin

Postby cairnswk on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:48 pm

sinctheassasin wrote:Along with shapes and symbols, much more vivid color would be helpful and eyecatching for somebody browsing thru the maps. Your bland pastels are really the only thing I don't like about the majority of your maps.

OK, i understand what you're saying, however, i will point out that the "bland pastels" as you call them are a result of copious feedback from players about those, stating that they prefer those colours rather than colours that are eye-sores and jarring. These colours keep people from complaining about colours, and are also targeted so that most of the colour-blind can read the maps. I would love to do a map that is brilliant vermillion and purple or some such other combinations, but it simply wouldn't be tolerated. So i am sorry that you don't like the colours but they are there for a reason. ;)
You told me before about shapes etc, i asked for suggestions. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby sinctheassasin on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:33 am

Well, if people have complained about bright colors, I guess that justifies whAt you are doing.

Just an examPle tho, on supermax, The circles are very easy to tell apart, don't you think? And I don't honk people have complained about that.
Corporal sinctheassasin

Postby cairnswk on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:01 pm

sinctheassasin wrote:Well, if people have complained about bright colors, I guess that justifies whAt you are doing.

Just an examPle tho, on supermax, The circles are very easy to tell apart, don't you think? And I don't honk people have complained about that.

Yes i've seen Prison Riot, I wrote the xml for mibi, No they haven't complained about that and yes, the circels are very easy to tell apart, but then i want to create a cricket map, not another prison riot map.
Don't worry, the colours will probably change as i go along. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby peacemakers on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:15 pm

I think this is really cool. very minor problem, if australia were batting for 2 sessions without losing a wicket and had hit 7 6's (an enormous amount in a test match let alone 1 partnership), don't you think they'd be going at more than 3 an over. Also england bowling 53 overs in 2 sessions is a poor over rate, they'd be fined for being that slow. I'm just being a tool, it's an exciting map.
Major peacemakers

Postby cairnswk on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:51 pm

peacemakers wrote:I think this is really cool. very minor problem, if australia were batting for 2 sessions without losing a wicket and had hit 7 6's (an enormous amount in a test match let alone 1 partnership), don't you think they'd be going at more than 3 an over. Also england bowling 53 overs in 2 sessions is a poor over rate, they'd be fined for being that slow. I'm just being a tool, it's an exciting map.

peacemakers, you're not being a tool, This is the sort of feedback that i beleive is very positive.
Please make your suggesstion for for the scoreboard. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Dexsting on Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:49 am

wow peacemakers, yes, please suggest a better scoreboard if you know about it.

Just a thought, the scoring play sixes have a little border around them; maybe the other scoring play territories can have borders too (fours and singles)

Does the Deep offside 4 really border the police room and PC3?

Also, PC? What is the PC for? Police...C? Sorry, maybe American english doesn't get it.

And I know it was mentioned before, but I like the names of the batters as the types of batters they are. Its much more crickety and will make people more likely to try to figure them out.

Along with the other neutral stuff that I mentioned before, is there anyway to know how the taverns and media center drops will be? It may be further down the line, but just thinking if someone gets the tavern or media center drops...
Sergeant 1st Class Dexsting

Postby cairnswk on Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:54 am

Dexsting wrote:wow peacemakers, yes, please suggest a better scoreboard if you know about it.

Just a thought, the scoring play sixes have a little border around them; maybe the other scoring play territories can have borders too (fours and singles)
OK i'll see what i can come up with, although they already have borders.

Does the Deep offside 4 really border the police room and PC3?
No. I'll move that.

Also, PC? What is the PC for? Police...C? Sorry, maybe American english doesn't get it.
Police Constable

And I know it was mentioned before, but I like the names of the batters as the types of batters they are. Its much more crickety and will make people more likely to try to figure them out.
PLease explain further :?:

Along with the other neutral stuff that I mentioned before, is there anyway to know how the taverns and media center drops will be? It may be further down the line, but just thinking if someone gets the tavern or media center drops...

well i guess the media centre could be all neutral or at least one neutral
The public areas and pubs could be half neutrals.
Private cairnswk

Postby peacemakers on Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:27 am

cairnswk wrote:
peacemakers wrote:I think this is really cool. very minor problem, if australia were batting for 2 sessions without losing a wicket and had hit 7 6's (an enormous amount in a test match let alone 1 partnership), don't you think they'd be going at more than 3 an over. Also england bowling 53 overs in 2 sessions is a poor over rate, they'd be fined for being that slow. I'm just being a tool, it's an exciting map.

peacemakers, you're not being a tool, This is the sort of feedback that i beleive is very positive.
Please make your suggesstion for for the scoreboard. :)

cool, thanks cairnswk, just didn't want to be too nitpicky. but having seen some of your other maps, you seem like someone with a good eye for detail. so, if aust are no wickets down, i reckon poms would have bowled between 56-60 overs, and aust would be around 190-250.
also, not sure if this has been said, but could some of the fans be supporting aus and some england? could have bonuses that way. it'd be great to see the "barmy army", the english quasi-cheer squad. thanks
Major peacemakers

Postby LLLUUUKKKEEE on Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:16 am

Holy Crap

AWESOME again mate

Don't have time to read all the posts but you have created a masterpiece.

Ill give feed back soon.
It's your turn...................................
Sergeant LLLUUUKKKEEE

Postby cairnswk on Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:43 am

peacemakers wrote:....
cool, thanks cairnswk, just didn't want to be too nitpicky. but having seen some of your other maps, you seem like someone with a good eye for detail.
Ha, yes sometimes ;) Also consider, if i was perfect, you'de have nothing to comment on. :)

so, if aust are no wickets down, i reckon poms would have bowled between 56-60 overs, and aust would be around 190-250.

I've changed the title to read:
It’s drinks on Day One in the 2009 Ashes 1st Test Match.
England is fielding and 12th man has drinks. Australia
is challenging England with fine batting.
Rain has slightly interrupted play.
The score is now
0 for 132
23 overs
0 wickets

I think that sounds better.

also, not sure if this has been said, but could some of the fans be supporting aus and some england? could have bonuses that way. it'd be great to see the "barmy army", the english quasi-cheer squad. thanks

OK, that could be good for creating some small bonuses in the stands. Let me see.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:00 am

LLLUUUKKKEEE wrote:Holy Crap
AWESOME again mate
Don't have time to read all the posts but you have created a masterpiece.
Ill give feed back soon.

:lol: thanks mate. look forward to your feedback.
Private cairnswk

Re: CRICKET: SILLY MID-ON V4(p5) - Bonuses added

Postby cairnswk on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:03 am

Version 4
1. Added some bonus regions in the stands
2. changed some colours on the army discs.

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Postby Dexsting on Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:43 pm

Really really minor, but should it maybe say being harrassed by "a streaker" instead of "the streaker"? that way its more notable that streakers jump on the field and its the normal term as opposed to a position or something? I dunno, its probably nothing, I just think it sounds better.

I still say you don't need a fielder to get the four bonus, and if so I think the battsman/run bonus should be grouped together, actually I have some other suggestions for bonus arrangement:

I think some should always be grouped right next to each other, but how the groups are aligned I'm still not sure what would be best (denoted groups below).

Also, not sure if the upper left corner defining the runds should definine them something else and then have that match the bonus legend...Maybe Just call the three, "A Six", "A Four", and "A Run" respectively.

~~~
Batsman & A Run +1
Batsman & Fielder -1
Batsman & A Four +2
Batsman & a Six +3 [I think this should be +3, but that's still up for debate; I think if we do make them +3, the neutral should be a 4 instead of a three too; or even a 6!]
~~
All Batsman +5 [seems a lot easier to hold all batters than all fielders...maybe make holding all batsman +4 and all fielders +8? Then incentive to not just go for the batsman and runs bonuses too]
All Fielders +5
~~~~
Umpires +1
All Police & Streaker +3
~~~~~
Ozzie Army +3
Barmy Army +3
Media Center +1
~~~~~
Public for 5 +2
for 10 +5
Bars for 3 +2
for 6 +4
~~~~~

The sixes currently aren't named at all, and so you'd be unable to choose which one you attacked...Not sure what to name them and how there'll be room to add names to them, but they have to get named somehow...

One last thing, does the six prevent Ali & Singh from attacking each other?

That's all I got for now :D Looking good!
Sergeant 1st Class Dexsting

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:41 pm

Dexsting wrote:...
One last thing, does the six prevent Ali & Singh from attacking each other?...

No, they can attack each other, i just make it clearer,
and I'll look at your other stuff later on, thanks, Dexsting :)
Private cairnswk

Postby reggie_mac on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:28 am

No batsman 4 in the pavilion?
Soviet Invaders: Space Invaders, it's not just a game
New Zealand Map - Foundry
"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
Captain reggie_mac

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas