CRICKET: SILLY MID-ON

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: CRICKET: SILLY MID-ON V3(p4) - Impassables added

Postby cairnswk on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:48 pm

sinctheassasin wrote:Along with shapes and symbols, much more vivid color would be helpful and eyecatching for somebody browsing thru the maps. Your bland pastels are really the only thing I don't like about the majority of your maps.

OK, i understand what you're saying, however, i will point out that the "bland pastels" as you call them are a result of copious feedback from players about those, stating that they prefer those colours rather than colours that are eye-sores and jarring. These colours keep people from complaining about colours, and are also targeted so that most of the colour-blind can read the maps. I would love to do a map that is brilliant vermillion and purple or some such other combinations, but it simply wouldn't be tolerated. So i am sorry that you don't like the colours but they are there for a reason. ;)
You told me before about shapes etc, i asked for suggestions. :)
Private cairnswk

Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby sinctheassasin on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:33 am

Well, if people have complained about bright colors, I guess that justifies whAt you are doing.

Just an examPle tho, on supermax, The circles are very easy to tell apart, don't you think? And I don't honk people have complained about that.
Woop Woop, i love conquer club, why'd i leave for a year?
Who LIkes finishing what they started? :D
Corporal sinctheassasin

Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby cairnswk on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:01 pm

sinctheassasin wrote:Well, if people have complained about bright colors, I guess that justifies whAt you are doing.

Just an examPle tho, on supermax, The circles are very easy to tell apart, don't you think? And I don't honk people have complained about that.

Yes i've seen Prison Riot, I wrote the xml for mibi, No they haven't complained about that and yes, the circels are very easy to tell apart, but then i want to create a cricket map, not another prison riot map.
Don't worry, the colours will probably change as i go along. :)
Private cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (36) General Contribution (3)

Postby peacemakers on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:15 pm

I think this is really cool. very minor problem, if australia were batting for 2 sessions without losing a wicket and had hit 7 6's (an enormous amount in a test match let alone 1 partnership), don't you think they'd be going at more than 3 an over. Also england bowling 53 overs in 2 sessions is a poor over rate, they'd be fined for being that slow. I'm just being a tool, it's an exciting map.
Major peacemakers

Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5)

Postby cairnswk on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:51 pm

peacemakers wrote:I think this is really cool. very minor problem, if australia were batting for 2 sessions without losing a wicket and had hit 7 6's (an enormous amount in a test match let alone 1 partnership), don't you think they'd be going at more than 3 an over. Also england bowling 53 overs in 2 sessions is a poor over rate, they'd be fined for being that slow. I'm just being a tool, it's an exciting map.

peacemakers, you're not being a tool, This is the sort of feedback that i beleive is very positive.
Please make your suggesstion for for the scoreboard. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Dexsting on Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:49 am

wow peacemakers, yes, please suggest a better scoreboard if you know about it.

Just a thought, the scoring play sixes have a little border around them; maybe the other scoring play territories can have borders too (fours and singles)

Does the Deep offside 4 really border the police room and PC3?

Also, PC? What is the PC for? Police...C? Sorry, maybe American english doesn't get it.

And I know it was mentioned before, but I like the names of the batters as the types of batters they are. Its much more crickety and will make people more likely to try to figure them out.

Along with the other neutral stuff that I mentioned before, is there anyway to know how the taverns and media center drops will be? It may be further down the line, but just thinking if someone gets the tavern or media center drops...
Sergeant 1st Class Dexsting

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:54 am

Dexsting wrote:wow peacemakers, yes, please suggest a better scoreboard if you know about it.

Just a thought, the scoring play sixes have a little border around them; maybe the other scoring play territories can have borders too (fours and singles)
OK i'll see what i can come up with, although they already have borders.

Does the Deep offside 4 really border the police room and PC3?
No. I'll move that.

Also, PC? What is the PC for? Police...C? Sorry, maybe American english doesn't get it.
Police Constable

And I know it was mentioned before, but I like the names of the batters as the types of batters they are. Its much more crickety and will make people more likely to try to figure them out.
PLease explain further :?:

Along with the other neutral stuff that I mentioned before, is there anyway to know how the taverns and media center drops will be? It may be further down the line, but just thinking if someone gets the tavern or media center drops...

well i guess the media centre could be all neutral or at least one neutral
The public areas and pubs could be half neutrals.
Private cairnswk

Postby peacemakers on Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:27 am

cairnswk wrote:
peacemakers wrote:I think this is really cool. very minor problem, if australia were batting for 2 sessions without losing a wicket and had hit 7 6's (an enormous amount in a test match let alone 1 partnership), don't you think they'd be going at more than 3 an over. Also england bowling 53 overs in 2 sessions is a poor over rate, they'd be fined for being that slow. I'm just being a tool, it's an exciting map.

peacemakers, you're not being a tool, This is the sort of feedback that i beleive is very positive.
Please make your suggesstion for for the scoreboard. :)

cool, thanks cairnswk, just didn't want to be too nitpicky. but having seen some of your other maps, you seem like someone with a good eye for detail. so, if aust are no wickets down, i reckon poms would have bowled between 56-60 overs, and aust would be around 190-250.
also, not sure if this has been said, but could some of the fans be supporting aus and some england? could have bonuses that way. it'd be great to see the "barmy army", the english quasi-cheer squad. thanks
Major peacemakers

Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5)

Postby LLLUUUKKKEEE on Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:16 am

Holy Crap

AWESOME again mate

Don't have time to read all the posts but you have created a masterpiece.

Ill give feed back soon.
It's your turn...................................
Sergeant LLLUUUKKKEEE

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:43 am

peacemakers wrote:....
cool, thanks cairnswk, just didn't want to be too nitpicky. but having seen some of your other maps, you seem like someone with a good eye for detail.
Ha, yes sometimes ;) Also consider, if i was perfect, you'de have nothing to comment on. :)

so, if aust are no wickets down, i reckon poms would have bowled between 56-60 overs, and aust would be around 190-250.

I've changed the title to read:
It’s drinks on Day One in the 2009 Ashes 1st Test Match.
England is fielding and 12th man has drinks. Australia
is challenging England with fine batting.
Rain has slightly interrupted play.
The score is now
0 for 132
23 overs
0 wickets

I think that sounds better.

also, not sure if this has been said, but could some of the fans be supporting aus and some england? could have bonuses that way. it'd be great to see the "barmy army", the english quasi-cheer squad. thanks

OK, that could be good for creating some small bonuses in the stands. Let me see.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:00 am

LLLUUUKKKEEE wrote:Holy Crap
AWESOME again mate
Don't have time to read all the posts but you have created a masterpiece.
Ill give feed back soon.

:lol: thanks mate. look forward to your feedback.
Private cairnswk

Re: CRICKET: SILLY MID-ON V4(p5) - Bonuses added

Postby cairnswk on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:03 am

Version 4
1. Added some bonus regions in the stands
2. changed some colours on the army discs.

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Postby Dexsting on Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:43 pm

Really really minor, but should it maybe say being harrassed by "a streaker" instead of "the streaker"? that way its more notable that streakers jump on the field and its the normal term as opposed to a position or something? I dunno, its probably nothing, I just think it sounds better.

I still say you don't need a fielder to get the four bonus, and if so I think the battsman/run bonus should be grouped together, actually I have some other suggestions for bonus arrangement:

I think some should always be grouped right next to each other, but how the groups are aligned I'm still not sure what would be best (denoted groups below).

Also, not sure if the upper left corner defining the runds should definine them something else and then have that match the bonus legend...Maybe Just call the three, "A Six", "A Four", and "A Run" respectively.

~~~
Batsman & A Run +1
Batsman & Fielder -1
Batsman & A Four +2
Batsman & a Six +3 [I think this should be +3, but that's still up for debate; I think if we do make them +3, the neutral should be a 4 instead of a three too; or even a 6!]
~~
All Batsman +5 [seems a lot easier to hold all batters than all fielders...maybe make holding all batsman +4 and all fielders +8? Then incentive to not just go for the batsman and runs bonuses too]
All Fielders +5
~~~~
Umpires +1
All Police & Streaker +3
~~~~~
Ozzie Army +3
Barmy Army +3
Media Center +1
~~~~~
Public for 5 +2
for 10 +5
Bars for 3 +2
for 6 +4
~~~~~

The sixes currently aren't named at all, and so you'd be unable to choose which one you attacked...Not sure what to name them and how there'll be room to add names to them, but they have to get named somehow...

One last thing, does the six prevent Ali & Singh from attacking each other?

That's all I got for now :D Looking good!
Sergeant 1st Class Dexsting

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby cairnswk on Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:41 pm

Dexsting wrote:...
One last thing, does the six prevent Ali & Singh from attacking each other?...

No, they can attack each other, i just make it clearer,
and I'll look at your other stuff later on, thanks, Dexsting :)
Private cairnswk

Postby reggie_mac on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:28 am

No batsman 4 in the pavilion?
Soviet Invaders: Space Invaders, it's not just a game
New Zealand Map - Foundry
"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
Captain reggie_mac

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby sinctheassasin on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:30 am

Yay! Great update. I can really see the continents at a glance now! The colors you are using are much better now. I don't have anything to nit pick now, good work =D>
Woop Woop, i love conquer club, why'd i leave for a year?
Who LIkes finishing what they started? :D
Corporal sinctheassasin

Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby brian fletcher on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

reggie_mac wrote:No batsman 4 in the pavilion?

id hazard a guess that one of the all-rounders would be batsman 4
Captain brian fletcher
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5)
Training Achievement (4)

Postby khazalid on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:33 pm

howzat!

looking forward to playing this one without the rank long hops for dice! will pop back with something constructive about the map when i get another spare moment.
turtle dove / why don't ya guide me home
Major khazalid

Medals: 41
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (9)

Postby cairnswk on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:53 pm

brian fletcher wrote:

id hazard a guess that one of the all-rounders would be batsman 4

please refresh f5 peoples...i simply left it off. :oops:
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:55 pm

sinctheassasin wrote:Yay! Great update. I can really see the continents at a glance now! The colors you are using are much better now. I don't have anything to nit pick now, good work =D>

Excellent :)

khazalid wrote:..... without the rank long hops for dice!...

:?: :?:
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:56 pm

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Postby khazalid on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:17 pm

a 'rank long hop' is a ball so bad that your gran could hit it for 6 using only a zimmer and some cod liver oil.
turtle dove / why don't ya guide me home
Major khazalid

Medals: 41
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (9)

Postby Gypsys Kiss on Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:35 pm

khazalid wrote:a 'rank long hop' is a ball so bad that your gran could hit it for 6 using only a zimmer and some cod liver oil.

....or a stick of rhubarb, as Geoff Boycott is fond of saying.

I am loving this map. Just a couple of things....... :mrgreen:

I have no idea how accurate you want to be and bearing that in mind you may disregard the 'details' in you want.

1. The Lord's test was the second of the series.
2. England batted first

Now for the important bit.................the scoreboard.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...........assuming it is the afternoon drinks break, England were somewhere around 170 to 180 for 0, and Australia had bowled about 46 overs.

Just thought I'd throw that into the mix. It's not often us poms get the upperhand. :D As proved this last weekend :oops:

Keep up the good work............
Sergeant Gypsys Kiss

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (3)

Postby cairnswk on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:02 pm

khazalid wrote:a 'rank long hop' is a ball so bad that your gran could hit it for 6 using only a zimmer and some cod liver oil.
:lol: :lol:

Gypsys Kiss wrote:

....or a stick of rhubarb, as Geoff Boycott is fond of saying.

I am loving this map. Just a couple of things....... :mrgreen:

I have no idea how accurate you want to be and bearing that in mind you may disregard the 'details' in you want.

1. The Lord's test was the second of the series.
2. England batted first

Now for the important bit.................the scoreboard.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...........assuming it is the afternoon drinks break, England were somewhere around 170 to 180 for 0, and Australia had bowled about 46 overs.

Just thought I'd throw that into the mix. It's not often us poms get the upperhand. :D As proved this last weekend :oops:

Keep up the good work............

Appreciate your humour Gypsy Kiss. Yes you kinda got wiped this weekend ;)
I'm dismayed, however, at how quickly you guys take to shotgun tactics on your poor Captain. :oops:
Just my opinion.

Anyway, back to topic....could somebody advise please...
At present, the only way to assault the fielders and batsman is via PC3.
Is there any security on the Pavillion...or prehaps Press.....?
i was thinking perhaps a way of attacking the guys in the pavillion from the public areas.
I don't want to go to throwing rubbish on the field. ;) That's just no cricket.
Private cairnswk

Postby Gypsys Kiss on Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:21 pm

cairnswk wrote:Appreciate your humour Gypsy Kiss. Yes you kinda got wiped this weekend ;)
I'm dismayed, however, at how quickly you guys take to shotgun tactics on your poor Captain. :oops:
Just my opinion.

Anyway, back to topic....could somebody advise please...
At present, the only way to assault the fielders and batsman is via PC3.
Is there any security on the Pavillion...or prehaps Press.....?
i was thinking perhaps a way of attacking the guys in the pavillion from the public areas.
I don't want to go to throwing rubbish on the field. ;) That's just no cricket.

I know the batsmen have one way attacks to the sixes. Can you also have the sixes one way attack the fielders? It'll be like the spectators throwing the ball back.

Obviously, that'll only work if the spectators can attack the sixes. Can they?
Sergeant Gypsys Kiss

Medals: 34
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (3)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas