Conquer Club

Malta [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby steve monkey on Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:48 am

I've been following this map with interest since day one. It was entirely appropriate to final forge it at the time, since Ruben had done all of the things requested of him by the foundry. My only regret about this map is that by the time it will finally become active I'll have left the site. This was always one of the maps I was most looking forward to playing (following a wonderful holiday there last year - visit it folks, it's beautiful).
I know Ruben will get it done, sometimes real life has to take preference (hence my own reluctant decision to quit cc).
Since I'm leaving I just want to extend my thanks to all the cartographers who've put so much of their time and creativity into improving this wonderful site and to everyone who has been constructive in terms of their comments within the foundry.
Best regards
Steve

May the dice gods shine favourably upon you.
Private 1st Class steve monkey

Postby hulmey on Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:24 am

Sad day for CC with steve monkey leaving..Good luck....

I fear this map is never going to be finished!! I can imagine when the discussions start again about it we get people like oaktown (dont take this the wrong way) coming not having read the read and making stupid comments!!

I think keyogi and andy should quash these annoying posts ASAP. On a side note what is there left to do Mr.Cassar?
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby oaktown on Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:21 am

hulmey wrote:I fear this map is never going to be finished!! I can imagine when the discussions start again about it we get people like oaktown (dont take this the wrong way) coming not having read the read and making stupid comments!!

I think keyogi and andy should quash these annoying posts ASAP. On a side note what is there left to do Mr.Cassar?

To begin with, let me apologize to Ruben. Suggesting that this map be removed from the Forge was out of place. My intention was never to criticize this map, and if you'll read back I never did. In fact, I rather like it - I can usually look at a map and find a dozen things I'd want to see fixed, but I think this one has exhaustively gone through the process and my sense is that the big issues have been resolved.

My comments were a result of all of the discussion around the Foundry process. The rebels are suggesting that the mods are intentionally holding back maps based on who they like and dislike, and I've been trying to make the point that perhaps the maps that aren't bening quenched aren't ready. For this particular map there is no small version map of the current map, yet the quench-heads were leaving posts demanding that this mp be quenched. ??

I've been on a tough love bender in the Foundry lately, and I sincerely believe that a fresh pair of eyes and an honest opinion can help a mapmaker. In this case my comments were not meant to be constructive but made out of frustration, so I crossed the line. Again I offer my apologies, both to you, Ruben, and everyone else who has been involved in this project. I hope that you restart this project, and if you do so know that you will have a lot of support.
Captain oaktown

Postby hulmey on Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:43 am

Yes there is a small map....Instead of trying to prove points read the whole thread next time please
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby oaktown on Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:46 am

hulmey wrote:Yes there is a small map....Instead of trying to prove points read the whole thread next time please

alright, my bad... i made the mistake of reading the title of this post which suggests that the latest maps were one pages 1 and 32, and i had gone back several weeks prior to that before i made my first post, but it turned out that the current maps are on page 33. I have now seen it and I offer to subject myself to whatever brand of punishment the Foundry rebels and mods feel is appropriate.

I stand absolutely corrected and again apologize to Ruben. Just for you, Ruben, I'll say it, though it pains me dearly...

QUENCH! :D
Captain oaktown

Postby cairnswk on Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:06 pm

Ruben...Could we see the usual links to xml and image files, plus the images large and small of the army shadows please.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Wisse on Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:09 pm

he is still bissy with it...
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby cairnswk on Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:18 pm

Wisse wrote:he is still bissy with it...

Thanks Wisse.
Private cairnswk

Postby Syd on Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:37 pm

is this map still being fixed?
Cadet Syd

Postby Wisse on Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:06 pm

Syd wrote:is this map still being fixed?

yeah it is, but ruben takes his time ;)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby hulmey on Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:43 pm

If Ruben isnt going to finish this map could i please take it over or start my own? I hope you do finish it though Ruben!!!
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby Coleman on Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:47 am

The only thing for me is since he used yeti_c for xml he needs to credit him on the map somewhere. Everything else looked fine to me, and it's simple enough to do that anyone could probably do it.

But since he said this:
Ruben Cassar wrote:The map just needs some minor adjustments but I do not have time for that right now.

We definitely have to wait tell he posts a new version.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby cairnswk on Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:00 am

Coleman wrote:We definitely have to wait tell he posts a new version.

Agreed Coleman. Rubin has indicated he is going to work on this...later. Until we hear otherwise, then it still awaits an update.
Private cairnswk

Postby RjBeals on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:15 am

Not that I would ever want to Ruben to abandon this map, but what if someone does? Has there ever been thought to a time limit on map creations? Other newer talented members may want to create a map that's dead in development...
Private RjBeals

Postby cairnswk on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:33 am

RjBeals wrote:Not that I would ever want to Ruben to abandon this map, but what if someone does? Has there ever been thought to a time limit on map creations? Other newer talented members may want to create a map that's dead in development...

RjBeals...in cases where it is thought that a map may be abandoned, we contact the person to seek clarification of the question. If after a period of a couple of weeks the author has not replied, or left any indications with anyone, then perhaps work on a new version would be allowed. I'll check to see if there is an official time limit. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Coleman on Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:34 pm

cairnswk wrote:
RjBeals wrote:Not that I would ever want to Ruben to abandon this map, but what if someone does? Has there ever been thought to a time limit on map creations? Other newer talented members may want to create a map that's dead in development...
RjBeals...in cases where it is thought that a map may be abandoned, we contact the person to seek clarification of the question. If after a period of a couple of weeks the author has not replied, or left any indications with anyone, then perhaps work on a new version would be allowed. I'll check to see if there is an official time limit. :)
As far as I know Final Forge is our commitment to the map creator that what they have made is very near acceptable and will be placed onto the site when the final polishing has been completed.

As such, major game play changes (entirely new layout, ect) are bad form and can be easily refuted by the map creator at this stage simply by noting we final forged them unless such changes are found to be necessarily because the final forged game play is discovered to be broken or otherwise incompatible with the site in some way.

Any map maker, even post quench, can demand their map be removed from the site when they abandon. Maps are owned by the creators and are used by lack via permission, usually conducted through e-mail at the final stage. Assuming the creator would still like to see the map on the site after they abandon we can lift permissions and transfer them to a new cartographer.

I'd expect in many cases cairnswk or myself may even finish things out ourselves if such an event occurred, although there are many committed authors we could transfer ownership to if they so desire.

An entirely new version would depend on the abandonment wishes of the original author as well, since we did final forge them... It's really something that may need to be handled on a case by case basis. An actual set of standards would be hard to form, and even if standards for this rare case were created, I'd argue current final forge maps are covered via a grandfather clause.

In short, it's complicated, but we know what we are doing and want to ensure a fair, just, and especially legal process.

Hope that makes sense. :wink:

As an extra note. A new version by a new person would need new everything if the original author wants their work not used by the site. By new everything I really mean everything. New art, new layout, new title (unless geographically based). Unless you like being sued for copyright infringement, but I know we aren't keen on it.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby cairnswk on Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:38 pm

^^ Cairnswk....short. Coleman...long. Nice work Coleman :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:34 am

Coleman wrote:The only thing for me is since he used yeti_c for xml he needs to credit him on the map somewhere. Everything else looked fine to me, and it's simple enough to do that anyone could probably do it.

But since he said this:
Ruben Cassar wrote:The map just needs some minor adjustments but I do not have time for that right now.

We definitely have to wait tell he posts a new version.

I have a version that gives credit to yeti for helping me with the XML and also to Keyogi for supplying some graphics that I have not posted yet. Basically all that's left is some centring of the army circles and stuff like that.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby yeti_c on Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:01 am

I reckon that's all that was needed...

The rest looks good to me!!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Unit_2 on Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:03 pm

so is this going to be quenched? or is there still somethign that needs done?
Corporal 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby Wisse on Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:06 pm

Unit_2 wrote:so is this going to be quenched? or is there still somethign that needs done?

read just try it, it might answer all your questions :roll:
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Tisha on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:34 am

all the links broken on this? i can't see the beautiful map... :?
Major Tisha

Postby Unit_2 on Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:46 pm

i think this is done :cry:
Corporal 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby hulmey on Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:00 pm

If its ok with ruben...i will try and make another Malta ~MAp
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby cairnswk on Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:18 pm

hulmey wrote:If its ok with ruben...i will try and make another Malta ~MAp

Hulmey...we'll try and contact Ruben first to see that status on this one before you go down that path of making another map of something that is almost basically ready for quench.
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas