Malta [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:25 pm

cowshrptrn wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:Ok point noted, but don't forget that Gozo is connected to Malta with the helicopter route from Luqa to Xewkija.

good point, point retracted. Forgot about the heli pads. You might want to make it clearer in the legend that heli-pads can attakc each other

Yes, good point. I will definetely make it clearer in the legend.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby hulmey on Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:29 pm

hi, western malta's colour code doesnt match the one on the bonus board!!
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:05 pm

hulmey wrote:hi, western malta's colour code doesnt match the one on the bonus board!!

Yes, thanks for pointing that out. In fact I have already implemented some of the issues you all mentioned.

Updated map:

Colonel Ruben Cassar

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby gavin_sidhu on Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:58 pm

Wow, this update is much nicer than your crayon one. I suggest you keep the thickness of the borders uniform, currently the borders of Eastern Malta are really thick while Northern Malta is so thin,

I like how you have so many continents, what i dont like about them is that in most your continents all countries are borders. Do you have better names then Western, Central, Southern, Northern Malta?
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby sfhbballnut on Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:06 pm

not bad, I'm not a fan of the textured multicolor, eastern gozo and central malta, but that's pretty much a matter of tastes
Corporal sfhbballnut

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby Marvaddin on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:42 am

A minor minor MINOR country like Malta divided in 9 areas? if you split a bit more we will fight for houses.

Dont exagerate, to 42 countries, 7 areas at maximum. This way it remember world 2.0, with tons of fucking tiny continents. Look at those areas. Red, 5 countries, 5 borders; Yellow, 4 countries, 4 borders; Pink, 6 countries, 5 borders >>> very bad.

Land End: bad, is there any reason to it?
Capitol bonus: bad, its not fair give to one player a bonus when he did nothing. I know, we have it in other map, just one more reason to dont do it again.
Main cities: ok, but you could have one more, or move that one from N. island.
Helipad: ok; maybe you could mix this idea with land end one.

For now, I think you need completely redesign the continents, or add so much unpassable that the map would seem a labirinth. Just my opinion.
Major Marvaddin

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (3)

Postby gavin_sidhu on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:49 am

The 9 continents give the map something different to the 30ish that are already out there, you require a different tactic to win on this map, dont go change it Ruben
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Marvaddin on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:54 am

Yeah, but Im sure he can improve it even to maintain 9 continents. 5 borders for a continent of 5 or 6 countries really sucks. And, of course, with this differences, just to remember, it will get some lovers but will be a rarely played map, because people loves classic. :?
Major Marvaddin

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (3)

Postby gavin_sidhu on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:24 am

Marvaddin wrote:Yeah, but Im sure he can improve it even to maintain 9 continents. 5 borders for a continent of 5 or 6 countries really sucks. And, of course, with this differences, just to remember, it will get some lovers but will be a rarely played map, because people loves classic. :?
Yah something needs to be done about the borders.

Alot of the classic-like maps get forgotten too, unless they are nice visually (like Middle-Earth and Europe). Germany, Canada and Ancient Greece are maps like Classic that have been forgotten.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:56 am

I want to add more impassable borders but I am not satisfied with the graphichs that I am using for the rubble walls.

If you look on the previous page I posted a picture of a rubble wall and asked for someone to help me and send me a better graphic if possible.

Once I manage to get better graphics for the rubble walls I will work a bit on the borders.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

General Contribution (1)

Postby happysadfun on Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:34 pm

Very good! Just wondering, why isn't B'kara a "main city"?
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby Lupo on Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:05 pm

Lupo wrote:I have a suggestion about Comino. why don't you make this territory belonging to both Eastern Gozo and Northen Malta, as it happens for the space stations in the space map?

Or, if you prefer, you could transform Comino into a territory that is not part of any continents, but if someone holds it plus at least another continet gets a +1 bonus...
"Nature is a temple in which living pillars
Sometimes emit confused words;
Man crosses it through forests of symbols
That observe him with familiar glances."
Sergeant 1st Class Lupo

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:38 pm

happysadfun wrote:Very good! Just wondering, why isn't B'kara a "main city"?

Valletta is the capital of Malta. Victoria is the main city of Gozo. Mdina is the old capital from the times of the Knights. B'Kara is the most populated city on Malta but apart from that it has no historical relevance.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

General Contribution (1)

Postby qeee1 on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:49 pm

Ok, graphically, it's so much nicer than before, the sea is beautiful... but I don't like the sort of speckled shading on some of the continents, like central malta and southern malta. Also as Andy said, the black lines between continents need to be all the same thickness.

Gameplay wise it's a bit of a mess, I agree we need to reduce continent numbers and borders. Have a look at the Japan map thread to see how it was accomplished there. Also, I'd avoid having too many bonus things-lands end, capital city, main city, helipad. A map should only have maybe one or two. I'd go for the helipad and capital if I was to choose, but the placement of continents should ultimately make the decision.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:34 pm

qeee1 wrote:Ok, graphically, it's so much nicer than before, the sea is beautiful... but I don't like the sort of speckled shading on some of the continents, like central malta and southern malta. Also as Andy said, the black lines between continents need to be all the same thickness.

Gameplay wise it's a bit of a mess, I agree we need to reduce continent numbers and borders. Have a look at the Japan map thread to see how it was accomplished there. Also, I'd avoid having too many bonus things-lands end, capital city, main city, helipad. A map should only have maybe one or two. I'd go for the helipad and capital if I was to choose, but the placement of continents should ultimately make the decision.

Yes, I have fixed the thickness problem in a revised map that I haven't put on yet but it wasn't Andy who pointed that out.

Vis-a-vis borders and bonuses...I am trying to create something different from the other maps here. A player will have to think a lot while playing this map as defending you territory is an important factor to take into consideration. It is harder to defend because of the sea routes and the helipad and the many borders.

Also it makes the game more unpredictable in my opinion as someone who is losing could make a comeback because of these features.

Of course I am not assuming that everyone will like it but that's ok because I am sure no one likes all the maps that are available. Some will like it, others will not but the response has been quite positive until now.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

General Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas