Good Morning Woodboro (V7.X) -- Home for the Holidays

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Good Morning Woodboro (V7.4) -- Font lines

Postby natty dread on Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Sure.

1. I used Object outline on the text. Be sure to use the right one, there's 2 "object outline" plugins out there - I used pyrochild's one, it has this chinese symbol as the icon, the plugin can be found here > http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/t ... 2010-4-01/

I set it on colour black, thickness 2 and softness of 254, non-angled.

2. I duplicated the text layer, set the top layer on additive and bottom layer on multiply, and adjusted opacities of both layers to 127 (I think, you can check the numbers on the file).
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby MrBenn on Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:56 pm

Looks like you could do something similar with some sort of outer glow using a slightly darker green than the green of the grass (select the colour of the green using the eyedropper, and change it to another closish one that's just darker).
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby natty dread on Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:16 pm

MrBenn wrote:Looks like you could do something similar with some sort of outer glow using a slightly darker green than the green of the grass (select the colour of the green using the eyedropper, and change it to another closish one that's just darker).

My way is better, because it adapts itself to whatever background colour. Like if we decide to change the tone of the grass later, we won't have to adjust the text again.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:56 am

Thank you, Natty. I'll probably not get done with this step for a while, though, because work is mounting on all sides.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Map Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:09 pm

All right, here at long last are the small and large sizes with the new font. Versions with 88s are forthcoming.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Map Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:18 pm

Real nice! Good job with the outlines.

Postby MrBenn on Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:32 pm

I have to admit that I'm not a great fan of the territory name font...

I'm not too sure what I'd suggest as an alternative; the typeface affects the aesthetic of the whole image. I don;t know if anything like these would fit?
http://www.fontspace.com/rick-mueller/stereo-mf
http://www.1001fonts.com/font_details.html?font_id=2681
http://www.1001fonts.com/font_details.html?font_id=2485
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby natty dread on Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:34 pm

No offense MrB, but I couldn't see any of those fonts really fitting the style of the map...

A solid, thick hand-written-ish font would be best I think... perhaps just a little less squiggly than the current one?

http://www.dafont.com/yikes.font?psize= ... e+Lazy+Dog.

http://www.dafont.com/fast-action.font? ... e+Lazy+Dog.

either of these could work IMO...

Postby yeti_c on Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:05 am

Disagree - I really like the current font - it fits the theme and the aesthetics very well.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby MrBenn on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:38 pm

natty_dread wrote:No offense MrB, but I couldn't see any of those fonts really fitting the style of the map...

A solid, thick hand-written-ish font would be best I think... perhaps just a little less squiggly than the current one?

http://www.dafont.com/yikes.font?psize= ... e+Lazy+Dog.

This one looks pretty good - much better than the random ones I posted. I think my only concern about the current one is that I think it's a bit wibbly. It's fine as it is, of course (so I won't push for a change), I was just trying to articulate my thoughts and suggest an alternative.
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Postby Evil DIMwit on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:12 pm

I actually do like this font better. As a bonus, the ks and Hs don't look like Xs (not that any of the names start with an H):
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Re: Good Morning Woodboro (V7.6) -- Font lines

Postby ender516 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:28 pm

Yes, that font looks like an improvement.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Postby natty dread on Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:51 pm

On the small version, "Mitch's" looks really fuzzy. I'd still recommend changing the colour of the sponsor names... That light blue doesn't look too good on a pastel background.

ps. good choice on the font.

Postby yeti_c on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:33 am

Actually font does look better now - and agree with ND about Mitchs.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Postby carlpgoodrich on Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:28 am

Looks awesome!
Captain carlpgoodrich

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1)

Postby MrBenn on Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:24 pm

Some of the kerning (gaps between letters) looks a little off; most notably on "Di jkstr a".

Other than that, I do prefer this typeface.
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Postby Evil DIMwit on Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:01 pm

I went in and manually kerned the offending letters and made the sponsor names less blurry. I also wrote up the XML and tweaked some house positions to make the numbers fit better. Tell me what you think:

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

http://rassyndrome.webs.com/CC/Woodboro.xml
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Re: Good Morning Woodboro (V7.7) -- Homing In

Postby MrBenn on Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:55 pm

That looks heaps better ;-)

There are a couple of other names that could be adjusted a bit (Warr en), but that's only because I'm deliberately looking for them now :P

I really can't see too much to nit-pick at...
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Postby natty dread on Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:06 pm

The kerning looks fine now. No more additional adjustment is needed IMO.

Postby carlpgoodrich on Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:23 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Captain carlpgoodrich

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1)

Postby RedBaron0 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:19 am

Anyone have have any other concerns or comments before it gets kicked upstairs?
ImageImageImage
Captain RedBaron0
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Medals: 85
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (1) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (12)

Postby yeti_c on Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:13 pm

I only wish that Lack would fix 3 digit numbers display centreing.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:23 pm

only a small thing: what is the small gray line after natty's name in the big version?

The map looks very nice, good work Evil DIMwit ;)

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:42 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:only a small thing: what is the small gray line after natty's name in the big version?

The map looks very nice, good work Evil DIMwit ;)

Good catch. And now, it's gone.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby RedBaron0 on Sun May 02, 2010 4:36 am

:punt:

ImageImageImage
Captain RedBaron0
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Medals: 85
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (9) Challenge Achievement (1) Map Contribution (2) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (12)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas