Napoleonic Europe 1812 - Ver 41/44 [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Napoleonic Europe 1812 - Ver 39/43 [Gp,Gr,XML,BETA]

Postby ender516 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:26 pm

Kabanellas wrote:
joriki wrote:Seems I'm a bit too late in writing this, but I hope you can still take it into account: I think the icon should go either after the "2" or preferably before "L'Empire". (In the latter case, the only change to how it was before would be the addition of "of".)

I think it makes sense, I'll put it before L'Empire :)

You know, when we were all going around on this, I thought, "Maybe it's just the word 'of' that we need to add." I took it as implied, but maybe that's all it needed.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)
Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (11)

Postby Capitino on Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Small remark: Saxony is on the map abbreviated to 'Sx', but in the code it looks like to be abbreviated to 'Sw', which of course is Switserland
Major Capitino

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby Kabanellas on Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:51 pm

danryan wrote:Wow, the naples - bosnia connection is a huge change. Didn't even see the discussion on it, now naples may be underpowered at 1. :D

In any case, my respect and enjoyment for this map grows every time I play it. A masterpiece.

Glad to see that it is growing inside you Dan, despite you being initially somewhat reluctant about it :)

...as for Naples, remember that it has a 1 auto-deploy. So you could consider a 2 bonus, or at least 1,5. ;)
Colonel Kabanellas
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Location: "Don’t ever wrestle with a pig. You’ll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it."
Medals: 69
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (7)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (16) Map Contribution (7) General Contribution (2)

Postby danryan on Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:41 pm

Maybe it has to do with me winning more on it lately. :D

And yes, the autodeploy is nice, without a doubt.
Lieutenant danryan

Medals: 153
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31) General Achievement (7)
Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (14)

Postby ender516 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:47 pm

Capitino wrote:Small remark: Saxony is on the map abbreviated to 'Sx', but in the code it looks like to be abbreviated to 'Sw', which of course is Switserland

Yes, thanks, :) this has been noted before, and I will include this fix along with the new bonus structure.

EDIT: Here is the updated XML:

NapoleonicEurope.1.12.xml

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (9)

Postby Kabanellas on Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:39 pm

Is everyone ok with these changes to the bonus structure plus the addition of the Naples Bosnia link ?

Kabanellas wrote:Here we go. Changed the legend according to that last suggestion.

Also changed the bonus structure - applying what has been discussed in the last weeks:

-Kingdoms of Naples, Sweden and Denmark bonuses all lowered to 1.
-United Kingdom lowered from 3 to 2
-made a connection between Naples and Bosnia

Click image to enlarge.
Colonel Kabanellas
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Location: "Don’t ever wrestle with a pig. You’ll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it."
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (7)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (16) Map Contribution (7) General Contribution (2)

Postby Qyu on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:30 am

Game 7666658
(yeh, i know, it's foggy, but the game will be soon over)

i've got prussia. it's noticed in my bonus.
but i also have warsaw, and no bonus for the couple prussia + warsaw (or i'm blind)

is the bonus still remain in the release, or is the bonus forgotten in the xml ?

the bonus is noticed in this xml http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/11/9/2644838/NapoleonicEurope.1.12.xml
but i don't know if it's the 'official' xml
Colonel Qyu

Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (15)
General Contribution (1)

Postby Kabanellas on Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:09 am

Qyu, I've read the log and I haven't seen the 3 troop bonus that you should be receiving for holding Prussia.... are you sure you hold it?
Colonel Kabanellas
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby Qyu on Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:21 am

yes, but i just take it in my last turn (with warsaw). I noticed that bob mentioned it (even in the 'Continents Overview', in the 'Statistics' and in the text map). He mentioned Poland too.
i see in the continent overview the bonus 'Saxony and Hessen w/ Prussia [1]' (i don't have it). But nowhere the bonus 'Warsaw w/ Prussia' who should be, if the official XML is the same as the 'NapoleonicEurope.1.12.xml' between 'Prussia [3]' bonus and 'Saxony and Hessen w/ Prussia [1]'

i could ask other mate don't finish the game, so we'll see in my next turn if i have the bonus

edit :
i think i understand. In the xml, it's said that 'Poland' bonus override 'Warsaw w/ Prussia' bonus. And since it's override, Bob won't mentioned it.
But i see this rule nowhere in the map explanation.

edit 2 : in Bob extended text map, the ''Warsaw w/ Prussia' is here.

Wrong alert about the xml, but maybe it could be useful it's noticed in the map explanation
Colonel Qyu

Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (15)
General Contribution (1)

Postby Lavaere on Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:01 am

certainly an interesting map, noticed the Saxony thing has been mentioned.
my only complaint is on trying recognize all the bonuses. the way the map is colored is just a tad confusing. hell in the game (7702380) I'm in. as far as I can tell I have all of france and yet not the bonus.
oh and and also the Orient part had me a little confused. larger map it just say Orient under Egypt. then I was told to read underneath it. that time I was in the smaller map and it said Egypt + Palestine. so that was a bit confusing as well
Private Lavaere

Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby ender516 on Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:16 am

Well, the Orient bonus is outlined on both maps in brown with a dashed effect, but it might be a good idea to make the small and large maps more consistent in their labelling. You need to take Corsica to have the France bonus. Here again, the territories of the France bonus is all outlined in one colour, a slate blue-grey, and include all of Metropolitan France (the Hexagon and Corsica) while the extra territories of L'Empire have a dashed effect. I wouldn't say the colours are confusing. I think they are a well-executed scheme to convey a complex bonus system.

Postby Kabanellas on Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:17 pm

Lavaere wrote:oh and and also the Orient part had me a little confused. larger map it just say Orient under Egypt. then I was told to read underneath it. that time I was in the smaller map and it said Egypt + Palestine. so that was a bit confusing as well

In the large map we use a different font to name all different Countries/bonus zones, so I could easily insert the 'Orient' word with no further explanations, marking that way a distinct Zone. In the small map that 'different font' doesn't appear so when I inserted the 'Orient' word in the font used for the region names I felt the need to add that little explanation - Orient = Palestine + Egypt - or people might take Orient has a region, mistaking it by Egypt.
Colonel Kabanellas
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby Army of GOD on Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:00 pm

Kabanellas wrote:Is everyone ok with these changes to the bonus structure plus the addition of the Naples Bosnia link ?

Kabanellas wrote:Here we go. Changed the legend according to that last suggestion.

Also changed the bonus structure - applying what has been discussed in the last weeks:

-Kingdoms of Naples, Sweden and Denmark bonuses all lowered to 1.

Click image to enlarge.

Make Spain a +3 bonus and I'll love it :D
saxitoxin wrote:This is the Platinum Lounge, you POS. People should be able to enjoy a surprise dick pic now and then.
Cook Army of GOD

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Kabanellas on Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:24 am

The problem with Spain is that if you also grab Portugal you'll be in a cluster receiving 2 (Spain) + 2 (Battle bonus) + 1 (Portugal) + 1 (Madrid auto-deploy) = 5 + 1 (auto-deploy) with just 4 regions to defend.

I think it's quite appealing as it is now, and the proof is that, in the majority of the games I've played, people will focus their attention there most of the time...
Colonel Kabanellas
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby Raskholnikov on Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:30 am

I'm sorry but I don't agree with these two changes. They are entirely ahistorical and change the nature of the game. Giving the Ottomans the option of getting into Italy and central Europe though Naples makes no sense; and lowering th UK to the same bonus as Spain ignores the fact the UK was the power who finally defeated Napoleon, both in Spain and in Belgium, and financed much of the wars against Napoleon.

Whilst I have no problem with the other changes, these two I cannot support.
Allons enfants de la patrie --Click here to support this map
Le jour de gloire est arrivé! if you love the Napoleon Era
Sergeant Raskholnikov

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby Kabanellas on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:04 pm

Hi Rask ! :)

Well..... I understand your concerns in a conceptual way. But truth is that we need to make it work as a playable map - and game-play here is of the essence.

though I'm not entirely worried about the UK, the Kingdom of Naples does worry me. As it is now is too well protected by neutral troops. What if we link it to Illyria instead of Bosnia?
Colonel Kabanellas
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby Raskholnikov on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:23 pm

Yes, much better. I can live with Naples being linked with Illyria. You may wonder why I'm making a fuss about one province, but it does make a difference, both historically and game-play-wise. So go ahead with the Naples - Illyria link and all the others you proposed, except the UK which should remain as is, at +3. Many thanks!
Allons enfants de la patrie --Click here to support this map
Le jour de gloire est arrivé! if you love the Napoleon Era
Sergeant Raskholnikov

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby ender516 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:58 pm

I can fix the XML again once you post a new image.

I did wonder about reducing the UK. It has no battle sites to boost its total bonus value.

In the interests of full disclosure, I am holding the UK in a game right now, so it might be said I have a vested interest in maintaining its value.

Postby The Bison King on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:03 am

did wonder about reducing the UK. It has no battle sites to boost its total bonus value.

I wonder about that too

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby brucemoose on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:55 pm

i played this map going by what it said: own 5 capitals wins the game. I took 5 capitals and nothing happened....i didn't win the game. Need to clarify how long you must hold the 5 capitals. I took it at word value and it probably has cost me the game.
Lieutenant brucemoose

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (1)

Postby Army of GOD on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:58 pm

For all "hold and win" maps, you have to hold the winning conditions for at least one turn.
saxitoxin wrote:This is the Platinum Lounge, you POS. People should be able to enjoy a surprise dick pic now and then.
Cook Army of GOD

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby ender516 on Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:03 pm

Luckily, to go along with the new losing conditions/requirements XML feature (where you can be immediately eliminated if you fail to hold a particular territory or set thereof), there is a movement to update the Instructions to make this sort of thing clearer. I hope an improved map browser will also flag features like this, so no one will be surprised by the features of a map.

Postby Arama86n on Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:20 am

I see it's been noted before but to clarify;

On large map (too?) (before it was mentioned small map) in drop down list it says
Sw: Switzerland...
Sw: Saxony... <-- :)
On actuall map Saxony is correctly abbreviated Sx.

I suppose this is a two click fix next time XML is updated, no biggy =)

Arama86n assaulted Sw: Saxony (Leipzig, October 1813) from Bv: Bavaria and conquered it from

P.S. Loving the map! :D
Major Arama86n

Medals: 47
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (9) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby ender516 on Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:16 pm

Arama86n wrote:I see it's been noted before but to clarify;

On large map (too?) (before it was mentioned small map) in drop down list it says
Sw: Switzerland...
Sw: Saxony... <-- :)
On actuall map Saxony is correctly abbreviated Sx.

I suppose this is a two click fix next time XML is updated, no biggy =)

Arama86n assaulted Sw: Saxony (Leipzig, October 1813) from Bv: Bavaria and conquered it from

P.S. Loving the map! :D

I have fixed this in version 1.12 of the XML, which I posted on Sep. 29. However, after that, there was some discussion about keeping the UK bonus at +3, and connecting Naples to Illyria instead of Bosnia. Once I see new images which show that, I can post another version of the XML, and we can get the new versions uploaded for more beta testing.

Postby Patriot1985 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:28 pm

My friends and I agree this is the best map. We noticed lately that the +1 bonus for Warsaw w/ Prussia is disabled.

Also, I would disagree with connecting Naples with Illyria. While Naples does seem well defended, it is not a particularly wealthy region either and connecting it to another province may reduce further the incentive to center an empire in that region.

My humble opinions.

--Patriot1985
Colonel Patriot1985

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas