Conquer Club

Make homophobia unacceptable under the Community Guidelines

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Make homophobia unacceptable under the Community Guideli

Postby mrswdk on Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:21 pm

I think we should also make it explicitly unacceptable to glorify Zionists and proponents of nuclear warfare, e.g. Albert Einstein.
betiko wrote:When exactly has china not been the king of the world?

思想自由 兼容并包
Glorious Donald wrote:What, you think our country’s so innocent?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby betiko on Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:22 pm

Symmetry wrote:
betiko wrote:This is just not relevant... when will you understand?
On the internet, people can be young, old, slim, fat, black, white, gay, hetero, have a huge mole on their forehead....
No one will know unless you disclose whatever you disclose about your personal life.
You are the only cc user who keeps on exposing his gayness, then acts like a drama queen for possible consequences... just do like all other gay cc users and don't start exposing all of your views on the matter if you don't want to listen to other people s opinion on the matter.

Can someone lock this stupid troll thread?

Why should being gay be such a problem? The language you use- that it is "exposing" seems a bit loaded. Would you argue that men who mention that they are married to a woman are "exposing" their sexuality, for example?

I doubt that you would post the same kind of personal attacks, and I doubt that you would attack their sexuality ("drama queen", for example) in such loaded terms.

I am very much interested in hearing people's opinions. Don't you think it's a tad hypocritical that you obviously don't? You literally don't want this to be discussed any more at all:

betiko wrote:Can someone lock this stupid troll thread?

I do think you should look at your own approach to this suggestion. I'm not expecting to win you over, but your arguments undermine themselves.

If that person comments about his wife and someone starts making jokes about her... and it hurts him.. he can blame himself for bringing it up. If he brings something up like that, it s because he won t mind the banter.

Regarding the lock of this thread: the conversation has been going on for years. You don't care because you don't play this game, but you are constantly resurecting this thread, while other GAME related suggestions that could actually bring someting to the site are dying... because this stupid thread is always on top... as you keep fueling it over and over... a completely beaten up horse. Just bring that in OT where it belongs. You are ruining the suggestions, and for that you are getting under everybody's skin. You never know when to let go dude.
Colonel betiko

Medals: 213
Conquer Cup Gold Achievement (1) Monthly Leader Silver (1) Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Most Improved Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4)
Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4)
Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (20)
General Achievement (36) Clan Achievement (25) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (22) Tribe Achievement (7)

Postby Symmetry on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:43 am

betiko wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
betiko wrote:This is just not relevant... when will you understand?
On the internet, people can be young, old, slim, fat, black, white, gay, hetero, have a huge mole on their forehead....
No one will know unless you disclose whatever you disclose about your personal life.
You are the only cc user who keeps on exposing his gayness, then acts like a drama queen for possible consequences... just do like all other gay cc users and don't start exposing all of your views on the matter if you don't want to listen to other people s opinion on the matter.

Can someone lock this stupid troll thread?

Why should being gay be such a problem? The language you use- that it is "exposing" seems a bit loaded. Would you argue that men who mention that they are married to a woman are "exposing" their sexuality, for example?

I doubt that you would post the same kind of personal attacks, and I doubt that you would attack their sexuality ("drama queen", for example) in such loaded terms.

I am very much interested in hearing people's opinions. Don't you think it's a tad hypocritical that you obviously don't? You literally don't want this to be discussed any more at all:

betiko wrote:Can someone lock this stupid troll thread?

I do think you should look at your own approach to this suggestion. I'm not expecting to win you over, but your arguments undermine themselves.

If that person comments about his wife and someone starts making jokes about her... and it hurts him.. he can blame himself for bringing it up. If he brings something up like that, it s because he won t mind the banter.

Regarding the lock of this thread: the conversation has been going on for years. You don't care because you don't play this game, but you are constantly resurecting this thread, while other GAME related suggestions that could actually bring someting to the site are dying... because this stupid thread is always on top... as you keep fueling it over and over... a completely beaten up horse. Just bring that in OT where it belongs. You are ruining the suggestions, and for that you are getting under everybody's skin. You never know when to let go dude.

In some ways it's good that you feel uncomfortable about this suggestion, betiko. It suggests that a different point of view is worthwhile. Would you really prefer the kind of echo-chamber that your previous posts imply?

I hope not.

I think that in avoiding my questions, you kind of made my point. You don't have these kind of objections about straight posters.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Postby Symmetry on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:46 am

mrswdk wrote:I think we should also make it explicitly unacceptable to glorify Zionists and proponents of nuclear warfare, e.g. Albert Einstein.

Perhaps you should take your generalised assumptions of Jewish people into forums that aren't Suggestions.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Postby mrswdk on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:12 am

Symmetry wrote:
mrswdk wrote:I think we should also make it explicitly unacceptable to glorify Zionists and proponents of nuclear warfare, e.g. Albert Einstein.

Perhaps you should take your generalised assumptions of Jewish people into forums that aren't Suggestions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political ... in#Zionism

思想自由 兼容并包
Lieutenant mrswdk

Standard Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby Symmetry on Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:32 pm

Indeed, -let's try to keep the thread focused on the suggestion at hand, eh?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Godrulesdude on Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:48 am

I agree with the observations made by betiko. this thread was perhaps started for less than valid reasons. Sometimes a player may have a personality disorder.

All of us, from time to time don't take accountability for our statements. Instead, we play the blame game. One way is to hide behind something that we believe is a "protected" category.

When I was in the UK, I saw this all the time. Rather than admit that they have a caustic personality, the person would claim that nobody liked them because of their race, sex, age, national heritage, creed, or whatever.

We all need to take ownership over the fact that we make negative comments and people will react badly to those comments. It has nothing to do with "protected status".
Corporal 1st Class Godrulesdude

Standard Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby Symmetry on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:29 pm

Godrulesdude wrote:I agree with the observations made by betiko. this thread was perhaps started for less than valid reasons. Sometimes a player may have a personality disorder.

All of us, from time to time don't take accountability for our statements. Instead, we play the blame game. One way is to hide behind something that we believe is a "protected" category.

When I was in the UK, I saw this all the time. Rather than admit that they have a caustic personality, the person would claim that nobody liked them because of their race, sex, age, national heritage, creed, or whatever.

We all need to take ownership over the fact that we make negative comments and people will react badly to those comments. It has nothing to do with "protected status".

That's quite a strong thing to say about someone, GRD, even though you couch it as if it isn't. Diagnosing mental illness is tricky even for professionals.

I understand what you're saying- you tend to offend people by saying what you think and they're often offended by it. Perhaps that's not a problem with the people you offend though. If it's as common a problem as you say, perhaps the problem isn't everyone else.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Thorthoth on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:30 am

Symmetry wrote:
Godrulesdude wrote:... personality disorder....hide behind something ...caustic personality...take ownership over the fact...negative...react badly...

Basically Sym has just been TOLD and now his deflection/denial instincts are amped up into high gear.
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant 1st Class Thorthoth

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Challenge Achievement (1)
Tribe Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:57 am

I think a clearer definition of the rules and guidelines in terms of it's ongoing battle against bigotry and discrimination is in order. I really hate blanketing terms and words, especially if quotes are being taken out of context.

About a year ago, Mrsdwk dropped the Nintendo word without the hard R and we had a caped crusader go on a stalking spree to report any other mishaps. The reason I'm bringing this up is because that quote of hers was being used out of context when she was clearly not being discriminatory or racial, but using it for comedic purposes. To me, it's not okay to have an incredibly tight grip over words in general (see George Carlin), but I'm obviously against the people who are openly toxic and being a bigot just to be one. IE:
f*ck the French, they suck and are queers.

Ban that asshole.

Basically, the idea is that we actually battle discrimination and bigotry when it actually does rear it's ugly head, but we should also consider how words are being used by other players and what the message is. I shouldn't have to fear that I'll have a creepy stalker player watching every game I'm playing with friends to check the chat to see if me or someone else in that game is dropping one of the forbidden words, taking whatever I or we say out of context.

"But this promotes bigotry and hatred!". Not really, in fact, it's less confining, less censorship, and can potentially promote a more friendly atmosphere for the majority of the community, with the exception of those that have no sense of humor to begin with.

"Trolls would take advantage of this!". Anyone with the capability of high school reading would be able to tell whether or not a player is purposefully being a bigot just to be one compared to a Kevin Hart wannabe or someone making a light hearted joke.

Anyways, if we blanket words as a "never to be used, ever", then I suggest we ban anything related to comedy shows like Kevin Hart who regularly are offensive for the easily offended.
ManBungalow wrote:For BBS, I recommend he get more DDS. That way, he won't experience such jealous BJ's.

Sergeant 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Medals: 16
Most Improved Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby mrswdk on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:12 am

Yeah I thought the Community Guidelines state that people who make this site a less pleasant place to be will be removed. Don't understand how I got penalized for just being my spunky playful self but then someone being genuinely nasty gets let off because his behavior doesn't tick the right boxes.

Maybe God is up there sniggering at me.

思想自由 兼容并包
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Thorthoth on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:12 pm

mrswdk wrote:Yeah I thought the Community Guidelines state that people who make this site a less pleasant place to be will be removed. Don't understand how I got penalized for just being my spunky playful self but then someone being genuinely nasty gets let off because his behavior doesn't tick the right boxes.

Maybe God is up there sniggering at me.

Nah, he's only sniggahing at you.
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant 1st Class Thorthoth

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Challenge Achievement (1)
Tribe Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Symmetry on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:18 am

DirtyDishSoap wrote:I think a clearer definition of the rules and guidelines in terms of it's ongoing battle against bigotry and discrimination is in order. I really hate blanketing terms and words, especially if quotes are being taken out of context.

About a year ago, Mrsdwk dropped the Nintendo word without the hard R and we had a caped crusader go on a stalking spree to report any other mishaps. The reason I'm bringing this up is because that quote of hers was being used out of context when she was clearly not being discriminatory or racial, but using it for comedic purposes. To me, it's not okay to have an incredibly tight grip over words in general (see George Carlin), but I'm obviously against the people who are openly toxic and being a bigot just to be one. IE:
f*ck the French, they suck and are queers.

Ban that asshole.

Basically, the idea is that we actually battle discrimination and bigotry when it actually does rear it's ugly head, but we should also consider how words are being used by other players and what the message is. I shouldn't have to fear that I'll have a creepy stalker player watching every game I'm playing with friends to check the chat to see if me or someone else in that game is dropping one of the forbidden words, taking whatever I or we say out of context.

"But this promotes bigotry and hatred!". Not really, in fact, it's less confining, less censorship, and can potentially promote a more friendly atmosphere for the majority of the community, with the exception of those that have no sense of humor to begin with.

"Trolls would take advantage of this!". Anyone with the capability of high school reading would be able to tell whether or not a player is purposefully being a bigot just to be one compared to a Kevin Hart wannabe or someone making a light hearted joke.

Anyways, if we blanket words as a "never to be used, ever", then I suggest we ban anything related to comedy shows like Kevin Hart who regularly are offensive for the easily offended.

I disagree with you about the mrsdwk case, but that's because I have more context, and this isn't the place or the time to discuss it in detail.

I think you've made a lot of assumptions in your posts here. Take, for example, the idea of "easily offended".

It's an interesting way to dismiss people who are in a minority. But it's also kinda ambiguous. It's easy to be offensive towards them.

Either way, of course, that defence works- the people who are offended are to blame.

This whole idea that comedy can't work if you can't hate gay people thing? Doesn't make sense to me.

A clear policy on homophobia should be part of the rules.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby mrswdk on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:11 am

We live in a post-identity world these days. Everyone agrees that sex and skin colour are meaningless ways of categorising people, which means the concepts themselves become meaningless to anyone other than bigots. In a post racial, post gender, sexually fluid world no one is defined by their demography and there are therefore no longer any monorities. Trying to force people back into those old boxes is regressive and bigoted. It’s time for Symmetry to embrace 2017 just like everyone else has.

思想自由 兼容并包
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Symmetry on Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:48 pm

mrswdk wrote:We live in a post-identity world these days. Everyone agrees that sex and skin colour are meaningless ways of categorising people, which means the concepts themselves become meaningless to anyone other than bigots. In a post racial, post gender, sexually fluid world no one is defined by their demography and there are therefore no longer any monorities. Trying to force people back into those old boxes is regressive and bigoted. It’s time for Symmetry to embrace 2017 just like everyone else has.

I don't see this as a suggestion that restricts free speech. More a suggestion that opens it up to other voices. I disagree with your argument that we are post racial (for example- CC has rules against Racism, even in forums that shall not be named).

Your attacks against African American posters have been pretty extreme.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Symmetry on Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:50 pm

The thing that strikes me is that there were protections in place, and that they were removed.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:01 pm

The thing that strikes me is that there were protections in place, and that they were removed.

(sodomy used to be illegal in Canada).
Susan Sontag wrote:I go to war, because I think it’s my duty to be in as much contact with reality as I can be, and war is a tremendous reality in our world.
Major DoomYoshi

Medals: 86
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (16) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (13)

Postby Symmetry on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:14 pm

It's weird that people still use terms like "sodomy". tbh, DoomYoshi.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:29 pm

Symmetry wrote:It's weird that people still use terms like "sodomy". tbh, DoomYoshi.

It's weird that people refer to the legal definition when referencing the law in question?

It was originally under the Buggery Act, should I use that term instead?
Susan Sontag wrote:I go to war, because I think it’s my duty to be in as much contact with reality as I can be, and war is a tremendous reality in our world.
Major DoomYoshi

Medals: 86
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (16) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (13)

Postby Symmetry on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:54 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:
Symmetry wrote:It's weird that people still use terms like "sodomy". tbh, DoomYoshi.

It's weird that people refer to the legal definition when referencing the law in question?

It was originally under the Buggery Act, should I use that term instead?

I think you just did, mate. It's almost as if you wanted an excuse to use those terms.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby mrswdk on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:32 am

Symmetry wrote:
mrswdk wrote:We live in a post-identity world these days. Everyone agrees that sex and skin colour are meaningless ways of categorising people, which means the concepts themselves become meaningless to anyone other than bigots. In a post racial, post gender, sexually fluid world no one is defined by their demography and there are therefore no longer any monorities. Trying to force people back into those old boxes is regressive and bigoted. It’s time for Symmetry to embrace 2017 just like everyone else has.

I don't see this as a suggestion that restricts free speech. More a suggestion that opens it up to other voices

When I say 'repression' I am not talking about free speech. I am talking about repression via forcing people to define themselves by traits such as skin color.

I disagree with your argument that we are post racial (for example- CC has rules against Racism, even in forums that shall not be named).

CC doesn't even have a mobile site. CC is not the benchmark of progress into the future.

思想自由 兼容并包
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Symmetry on Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:21 pm

Nor should it be. If anything, CC should be a community (after, of course, a business). Protecting alternative voices is the way that a community works, rather than stagnates.

One of the most important ways that this is done is by allowing new voices to be heard, rather than bullied into silence.

As has been pointed out in this forum, you personally used a relaxation on rules to attack an African American poster. The site moved to re-instate rules against the kind of pure vitriolic hate you posted. You're still here.

Re-instating rules against homophobic hatred won't push people away from the site. It will make it more welcoming though.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby mrswdk on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:54 pm

In short, you wish to continue with this fallacy that skin colour, sex or sexual orientstiom define a person.

Also, ‘African American’? loool, slow down there Jim Crow. Did you get a chance to vote in this thread? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=225482&start=25

思想自由 兼容并包
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Symmetry on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:25 pm

mrswdk wrote:In short, you wish to continue with this fallacy that skin colour, sex or sexual orientstiom define a person.

Also, ‘African American’? loool, slow down there Jim Crow. Did you get a chance to vote in this thread? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=225482&start=25

The word that you were so keen on using just ain't right. Being a bit old fashioned and getting called out is nothing compared to the vicious hatred you directed at posters on this site solely based on skin colour.

There are many ways to define a person, allowing a person to define themselves seems like a basic right. The hate you post should not be a definition/
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby riskllama on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:47 pm

TROLL FIGHT !!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
nietzsche is awesome
Captain riskllama

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (3) Challenge Achievement (1)
General Contribution (2)

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions