Conquer Club

[GP] How to make 1 vs 1 more fair

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[GP] How to make 1 vs 1 more fair

Postby josko.ri on Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:48 am

JamesKer1 wrote:Mod Edit: This suggestion was considered by the bigWham administration, however, the project was shelved and has been so since late 2013, following resistance by the community when a thread was started on the topic. If it was implemented in its currently idealized form, it would be applied to balance ALL games- 1v1, team, polymorphic, etc., and as such all topic related to not allowing deploy (and any variations on fortifications) on the first turn may and will be merged into this thread. Please post in this thread if you have anything else to add about this suggestion.

hello everybody!

I play the most 1 vs 1 game, and I think that first playing player has two advantages:
1. he gets bonus troops first, with starting number of regions, 2nd player gets with less number of regions
2. he has first chance to attack

so it is two advantages, and I have suggestion how to reduce it to only 1 advantage, so game will be more fair to both players.
so my suggestion is that first player can ONLY drop troops, not to attack. so, 1st player make drop and end turn, and then real game starts. so the player who attacks first (2nd player) will have attack with equal number of troops, not with more numbers like it is now.
so, what others think about that suggestion? is it possible to make in game rules? it can be additional option, so players can choose to play with that rule or not.
Last edited by josko.ri on Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major josko.ri

Re: suggestion how to make 1 vs 1 more fair

Postby jpcloet on Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:31 am

Not needed if 1v1 Team Games was implemented. That is one of the best ideas out there right now.
Sergeant 1st Class jpcloet

Postby josko.ri on Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:45 am

I thought about 1 vs 1 standard games, but it can be used for 1 vs 1 doubles, triples or quadraples also.
Major josko.ri

Postby colton24 on Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:29 pm

josko.ri wrote:I thought about 1 vs 1 standard games, but it can be used for 1 vs 1 doubles, triples or quadraples also.

1v1 doubles?
Highest Rank: Lieutenant | Highest Score: 1641
Mr. Squirrel wrote:
pmchugh wrote:BUMP- one more fool needed :mrgreen:

One fool reporting for duty!

Been around for too long...said things that shouldn't have been said...but all that has changed
Corporal 1st Class colton24

Postby josko.ri on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:13 am

colton24 wrote:1v1 doubles?

I mean team game, 2 teams, in each of them 2 players.
Major josko.ri

Postby MeanestBossEver on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:59 am

100% agree.
Major MeanestBossEver

Postby josko.ri on Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:40 am

maybe it can be added like adittional play order option. it can be third option with freestyle and sequential option.
Major josko.ri

Postby Evil Semp on Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:23 pm

What happens if player 2 is dropped a bonus, then he is starting with more troops than player 1.
Sergeant Evil Semp
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby nippersean on Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:30 pm

But then player 1 gets a chance to fort that you never get as a player 2.
Suggestion will really even up 1v1
Last edited by nippersean on Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brigadier nippersean

Postby yrral on Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:31 pm

josko.ri wrote:hello everybody!

I play the most 1 vs 1 game, and I think that first playing player has two advantages:
1. he gets bonus troops first, with starting number of regions, 2nd player gets with less number of regions

so it is two advantages, and I have suggestion how to reduce it to only 1 advantage, so game will be more fair to both players.
so my suggestion is that first player can ONLY drop troops, not to attack. so, 1st player make drop and end turn, and then real game starts. so the player who attacks first (2nd player) will have attack with equal number of troops, not with more numbers like it is now.
so, what others think about that suggestion? is it possible to make in game rules? it can be additional option, so players can choose to play with that rule or not.

So then player 1 get screwed, we need the start to be fair. how about a coin toss button, with a 50/50 chance of winning the start?
Sergeant 1st Class yrral

Postby nippersean on Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:37 pm

yrral wrote:

So then player 1 get screwed, we need the start to be fair. how about a coin toss button, with a 50/50 chance of winning the start?

The problem with 1v1 is on many maps player 1 gets too big a head start. This just controls this a little.
It is all ready a coin toss who gets first turn.
Under this player 1 is still at an advantage - just less so.
Brigadier nippersean

Postby Blinkadyblink on Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:21 pm

This is an excellent idea and would make 1 v 1 much more appealing.
Major Blinkadyblink

Postby leolou2 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:27 pm

i say if you don't like it then why play go to some dubs trips or quads , myself i am trying to get out of all 1v1 and not join them again even if it means not playing in certain tourney games , if they ever figure out how to make it fair i will reconsider :-$
Lieutenant leolou2

Postby Rowney on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:53 am

i played a lot of 1v1 games and find the game is more often decided by how well the dice are rolling, one player always has better dice than the other. Also the second player has an advantage when attacking second, because he can attack the single army countries left after player ones reinforcement phase, where possible.
Captain Rowney

Postby josko.ri on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:09 pm

yrral wrote:So then player 1 get screwed, we need the start to be fair. how about a coin toss button, with a 50/50 chance of winning the start?

no, we need only to make third option in initial troops (sequential, freestyle). and in games that this option is chosen it will not be possible to make attack because after all units are deployed turn is automatically over.

Rowney wrote:i played a lot of 1v1 games and find the game is more often decided by how well the dice are rolling, one player always has better dice than the other. Also the second player has an advantage when attacking second, because he can attack the single army countries left after player ones reinforcement phase, where possible.

it is probably because of that player 1 has big advantage and it s not necessary for him to have good dices, he is in big advantage with present rules.
for example, if 2 good players play map City Mogul sequential, in 95% of games 1st playing player will win, and with my suggestion it will not be like that. I used that map for example because there are 1st playing advantage the most obvious, and that advantage also exists on every map but is not so obvious.
Major josko.ri

Postby nippersean on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:36 pm

yrral wrote:

No not at all.

Player 1 will stand much better than player 2 in a similar situation.
What are people that are against this suggestion failing to understand?

Player 2 attacks first but player 1 has all ready forted and will have early troop advantage.
It clearly lessons the advantage to 1 player in 1v1.
Brigadier nippersean

Postby knubbel on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:38 pm

I also thought about this. I don't see any reason why this shouldn't be implemented. It just makes the game more fair.
Major knubbel

Postby HighlanderAttack on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:20 pm

I think it would make it a more even start. Of course I like it because I seem to only start about 40% of my games :D
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

The one who starts should not be able to attack first

Postby olipellat on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:10 am

Hi,

Why does the one who starts the game attacks first ?

In a 2 player game for instance, if I have the advantage of placing my men, I should not have a 2nd advantage to attack straight away.

It would be fairer if :
* player 1 puts his men with no attacking
* player 2 puts his men and the attack starts with him.

Too many times I see that I have lost the game on round 1 because I have started second...

What do you think ?

olipellat
Lieutenant olipellat

Re: The one who starts should not be able to attack first

Postby parker4s on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:21 am

You dont always get to attack first when you start a game. Which style are you talking about manual or autodeploy?
Lieutenant parker4s

Postby Koganosi on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:31 am

Probably he is talking about auto deploy. And that is just how the game is. I dont know why this should be changed in any way.

Urs

Koganosi
Major Koganosi

Postby olipellat on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:52 am

Yes, auto deploy.

When the men are dropped on regions, player 2 has no possibility of strengthening the weak areas. This means the 1st player will built his 12 men in one area, decimate your weak ones, and even after that, reinforce to make sure you won't have a chance to get back to this place...this is not fair...

Not very often, but it does happen, player 1 already has a bonus before the game has started, so player 2 is still born...

Thanks for your opinions...
Lieutenant olipellat

Postby AAFitz on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:27 pm

usually in maps with auto deploy, there are buffers of neutrals however, and while given the choice, id go first every time....it does not always go to the first player at all.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby Queen_Herpes on Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:10 pm

The OP is talking about a version of Mattel's Risk. In said version, first to deploy their armies is not allowed to attack.
Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby Evil Semp on Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:24 pm

olipellat wrote:Yes, auto deploy.

When the men are dropped on regions, player 2 has no possibility of strengthening the weak areas. This means the 1st player will built his 12 men in one area, decimate your weak ones, and even after that, reinforce to make sure you won't have a chance to get back to this place...this is not fair...

Why would it be fair for the second player to see where the first player deployed his troops and be able to attack and decimate weak ones from player one?

olipellat wrote:Not very often, but it does happen, player 1 already has a bonus before the game has started, so player 2 is still born...

What about when the second player is dropped a bonus and the first player can't reach the bonus to try to break it?
Sergeant Evil Semp
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Next

Return to Suggestions