Conquer Club

[UI] Make blue army numbers lighter

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Make blue army numbers lighter[Poll Added]

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:08 pm

ender516 wrote:If you don't like my Conquer Club Contrast Corrector (C4) script, the BOB script has the ability to add white circles behind the numbers on any map, with 10 levels of opacity.

As Inspector Clouseau says: "Problem Solv-ed"
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby ender516 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:39 am

Funkyterrance wrote:
ender516 wrote:If you don't like my Conquer Club Contrast Corrector (C4) script, the BOB script has the ability to add white circles behind the numbers on any map, with 10 levels of opacity.

As Inspector Clouseau says: "Problem Solv-ed"

Well, some people cannot use scripts, and some would rather not, for performance reasons. So a site-based solution is still worth considering.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby IcePack on Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:57 pm

natty's already indicated he's not making any more maps. Are other map makers complaining? I still dont see a reason why the change is needed when it affects so few maps and would change many others...

I like blue as it is.

IcePack

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:23 am

IcePack wrote:natty's already indicated he's not making any more maps. Are other map makers complaining? I still dont see a reason why the change is needed when it affects so few maps and would change many others...

I like blue as it is.

IcePack

natty may not be back and this is a non problem imo. It would not do anything to the current maps, cause problems and only move the problem to other types of maps in the future.

Leave blue as it is.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:12 pm

Ok, so we can reject this now right? If after 2 years of discussion there still isn't agreement/support, we can ignore it?
ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby agentcom on Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:53 pm

I've made it clear that I don't like this suggestion, so I have no problem with it being moved to rejected. But I don't want to cause some huge outcry, so let me know now if I'm going to be getting angry e-mails from people.

For the record, the biggest two problems that I've seen with this are 1) makes the color too close to cyan (possibly forcing more users to have to use color codes) and 2) (my main point) that it doesn't address the actual problem, which is that there is insufficient contrast between the nice and distinct dark blue color used currently and the black outline that is around all numbers.
Colonel agentcom

Postby ender516 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:45 am

Yes, contrast is the issue. The best solution might be for the site to use colour-specific outlines on the numbers: light on dark and dark on light. Considering the randomly generated colours that appear in Battles Royale, this might need to be calculated on the fly. It might be possible for the site to provide a user setting for the breakover point between light and dark colours.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby chapcrap on Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:11 am

ender516 wrote:Yes, contrast is the issue. The best solution might be for the site to use colour-specific outlines on the numbers: light on dark and dark on light. Considering the randomly generated colours that appear in Battles Royale, this might need to be calculated on the fly. It might be possible for the site to provide a user setting for the breakover point between light and dark colours.

Something like that is really the best fix. If the number colors are two-toned, then it should really never matter what the map looks like.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby agentcom on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:38 pm

ender516 wrote:Yes, contrast is the issue. The best solution might be for the site to use colour-specific outlines on the numbers: light on dark and dark on light. Considering the randomly generated colours that appear in Battles Royale, this might need to be calculated on the fly. It might be possible for the site to provide a user setting for the breakover point between light and dark colours.

I completely agree, obviously. I've tried out your Color Contrast Corrector (or whatever it's called) and that does the trick. It's not that big of a deal to me, so I uninstalled it. But IF this is a big deal, then that's the best way of addressing it. I never thought about the issues with BRs though (well, BR's weren't a reality when we started this discussion).

I think you just need two outline colors: white and black. And yes, you would have to figure out where to delineate those. I googled [url=code to automatically pick contrasting color]code to pick contrasting color[/url] and these solutions appear pretty easy to implement. Of course, I think CC would just define which colors get black and which get white so the engine doesn't run these calculations every time. But the definitions would be based on these calculations.

Pick whether to use black or white
More complicated task of picking a unique contrasting color

I'm sure there are better sources out there. Obviously, many people have done this before.

Someone on CC could also do this manually ... create a list of all the colors used in BRs and just go through them and pick whether to give that color a black or white outline. You would publish this list to the game engine and the game engine would retrieve it.
Colonel agentcom

Postby agentcom on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:57 pm

Also, if this discussion starts to develop, it really should be considered a separate suggestion.
Colonel agentcom

Postby greenoaks on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:10 pm

i find blue impossible to read on the USA map 'Rockies' and guess/hope there is not a large stack thee.

i don't have a preference between the Blues offered. Either would be great.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby agentcom on Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:41 am

To paraphrase a post I made a while ago:

Regarding the poll, it's not fair to only give the options for change but not give an option for leave it as it is. The results are lacking any indication of whether or not you should make the change. They only tell what color to use if you do make the change. But there are at least a few people saying "please don't do this."

If there is a poll posted it should have at least the first 3 of these options. The fourth relates to a solution that has been discussed (often by me) in the thread, but is not part of the OP and should probably be made into a distinct suggestion if it gains traction.

(1) This [In the current blue color with black outline]
(2) This [New blue, black outline]
(3) This [New blue 2, black outline]
(4) This [Current blue, white outline]

Check all that apply.

The poll has been removed and the results have been archived at the bottom of the OP.
Colonel agentcom

Postby greenoaks on Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:36 am

agentcom wrote:To paraphrase a post I made a while ago:

Regarding the poll, it's not fair to only give the options for change but not give an option for leave it as it is. The results are lacking any indication of whether or not you should make the change. They only tell what color to use if you do make the change. But there are at least a few people saying "please don't do this."

If there is a poll posted it should have at least the first 3 of these options. The fourth relates to a solution that has been discussed (often by me) in the thread, but is not part of the OP and should probably be made into a distinct suggestion if it gains traction.

(1) This [In the current blue color with black outline]
(2) This [New blue, black outline]
(3) This [New blue 2, black outline]
(4) This [Current blue, white outline]

Check all that apply.

The poll has been removed and the results have been archived at the bottom of the OP.

my vote is for change, but i don't care what way the site goes. just so long as you can read the numbers on terits for Rockies, USA map
Sergeant greenoaks

Previous

Return to Suggestions