Conquer Club

[Forum] Usergroup Leader Powers

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Give Clan Leaders ability to Lock threads

Postby nagerous on Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:24 am

I bumped a thread about this for you.
Captain nagerous

Re: Usergroup / Clan Leaders Powers

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:33 pm

No news unfortunately.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby lanyards on Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:34 pm

Common e'rybody! Follow me!

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=969995

Bumpity Bump Bump.
WANT AN ADVANTAGE WHILE WORKING TOWARDS MEDALS?
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=529&t=226714
Major lanyards

Postby andy_is_awesome on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:18 pm

Still waiting for this awesome sug to become a reality.

Do we know what is holding it up?
-Is it due to programing/tech problems or something else?
-who are the 4 people that voted no and what is thier apprehension?
Major andy_is_awesome

Postby lanyards on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:24 pm

andy_is_awesome wrote:Still waiting for this awesome sug to become a reality.

Do we know what is holding it up?
-Is it due to programing/tech problems or something else?
-who are the 4 people that voted no and what is thier apprehension?
I think it is due to the limitations of the PhpBB forum, but I don't know too much about that stuff. The people who voted No are the trolls who are just being idiots.
WANT AN ADVANTAGE WHILE WORKING TOWARDS MEDALS?
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=529&t=226714
Major lanyards

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:27 pm

Is the reason that it's just too much work to give each clan leader mod capabilities in the usergroup?

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:49 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:Is the reason that it's just too much work to give each clan leader mod capabilities in the usergroup?

Nope. Too much access to user information, such as personal IPs, etc, which can lead to unfortunate circumstances of harassment, stalking, and goodness know what else. :)

--Andy

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:52 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:Is the reason that it's just too much work to give each clan leader mod capabilities in the usergroup?

Nope. Too much access to user information, such as personal IPs, etc, which can lead to unfortunate circumstances of harassment, stalking, and goodness know what else. :)

--Andy

I do not buy it. I have run many forums, and been mods on several others. Some mods are only mods in 1 forum. It works perfectly. Same could be done here. These mods to not have access to anything other then the basics. So do not tell me about IP's Personal Info etc.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Optimus Prime on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:59 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:

--Andy

I do not buy it. I have run many forums, and been mods on several others. Some mods are only mods in 1 forum. It works perfectly. Same could be done here. These mods to not have access to anything other then the basics. So do not tell me about IP's Personal Info etc.

Have you ever been a moderator on a forum run on a full version of phpBB? That could be the difference. We aren't making it up, Bruceswar. Right now anyone with moderator powers has access to a particular control panel that we don't wish a large number of people to see.

Whenever phpBB gets a proper patch built I'm sure it will become a topic that is much discussed amongst the admins, until then, we are in wait mode.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:04 pm

OF course, Bruce---you have to remember that usergroup mods, would also have the ability to add user to their group---and thus able to check personal information of IP of any user added to their group. That is probably something that individual forum moderators were unable to do on your previous forums.

--Andy

Postby owenshooter on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:13 pm

we don't have any problems within our Bandit forum, because we are selective of the people we let into our clan. oddly enough, i understand the issue, but i have never been affected by it. we are able to control the flow of the forum with the simple tools given to us. if something is important, it is a sticky. when it isn't important, it is unstickied and floats to the bottom. with what andy is telling us in this thread, i think it comes down to being a good leader, having good members, and self policing yourselves without uber-tools. the abuse by some leaders would be unbelievable if the tools were available. read some of the posts in this thread!! i've been in simple usergroup/discussion groups here on CC, and the leaders are nightmares that fancy themselves mods/admins, and try to control everything down to the tiniest details...-0
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:27 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:Have you ever been a moderator on a forum run on a full version of phpBB? That could be the difference. We aren't making it up, Bruceswar. Right now anyone with moderator powers has access to a particular control panel that we don't wish a large number of people to see.

Whenever phpBB gets a proper patch built I'm sure it will become a topic that is much discussed amongst the admins, until then, we are in wait mode.

Yes I have. In fact this board has over 10,000 daily active posters, and about 30K more casual posters. Putting the poster count away for a second, you can limit the access each mod has. And yes it was full phpBB. You can limit what each mod can or cannot do. Most people are just looking for some simple tools, such as deleting post, or moving post around. Lets not make a mountain out of this.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:30 pm

It seems you missed my post, though, Bruce. :)

--Andy

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:36 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:It seems you missed my post, though, Bruce. :)

--Andy

I did not miss your post. They can already do this now (clan or user group leaders) This is already given to us via the inbox / usergroups then edit... There is no personal information given out.
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:38 pm

Unfortunately, there is, as we see it. So until we can limit that, as many other users have pointed out, we'll have to work within the current guidelines. :)

Spend your energy on phpBB's forum working towards an addon. ;)

--Andy

Postby andy_is_awesome on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:01 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:Have you ever been a moderator on a forum run on a full version of phpBB? That could be the difference. We aren't making it up, Bruceswar. Right now anyone with moderator powers has access to a particular control panel that we don't wish a large number of people to see.

Would you have to make us full moderators (all powers included) in order to give us the ability to lock and unlock usergroup threads?

AndyDufresne wrote:OF course, Bruce---you have to remember that usergroup mods, would also have the ability to add user to their group---and thus able to check personal information of IP of any user added to their group. That is probably something that individual forum moderators were unable to do on your previous forums.

--Andy

Can't usergroup mods already add users to their group? I'm a co-mod and I'm able to add/drop members, but I don't see thier PI and IPs. Maybe you are talking about different kinds of mods. I'm sure I don't understand, because programming is over my head. But I wonder why we can't perform more functions without being made full-fledged mods.

In the mean time, I guess the only think I can do is sharpen my pitchfork and carry my torch to http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 2&t=969995
Last edited by andy_is_awesome on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Major andy_is_awesome

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:06 pm

andy_is_awesome wrote:

Would you have to make us full moderators (all powers included) in order to give us the ability to lock and unlock usergroup threads?

Limited powers of course could be given, but that's not our issue. Our issue is user privacy.

--Andy

Postby andy_is_awesome on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:25 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
andy_is_awesome wrote:

Limited powers of course could be given, but that's not our issue. Our issue is user privacy.

--Andy

If giving limited powers is not a problem, can we do that in the mean time? :D
Major andy_is_awesome

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:58 pm

andy_is_awesome wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:
andy_is_awesome wrote:

--Andy

If giving limited powers is not a problem, can we do that in the mean time? :D

I still don't understand, either, why leaders would have to see personnal information to lock threads.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Kotaro on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:17 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:I still don't understand, either, why leaders would have to see personnal information to lock threads.

Simply put, giving the Clan Leaders the power of the mods in their own little groups, also gets them a shiny little side button on the left side. And that little shiny button lets them see the personal information of users, so to avoid abuse, they won't do it yet.
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Captain Kotaro

Postby hwhrhett on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:32 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
I still don't understand, either, why leaders would have to see personnal information to lock threads.

when you get modded over a usergroup you see more information in posts in that usergroup, like ip address... and that is unacceptable, if you go look over at the phpbb forums there are alot of requests for this type of stuff, but there has been no patch made to deal with it...

i wish lack could pull some crazy ninja turtle powers and do it himself, but there is probably someone working on this, as it is a common request at phpbb site. and wouldnt it be nice if lack was working on other awesome fun stuff specific to cc, while some other guy can toil on this.

and therefore we must wait.....
Cook hwhrhett

Postby jpcloet on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:37 pm

While we wait it would be nice to know what the current process is as many of us don't know. Nor is it in the Clan Guidelines I've been told we can submit e-tickets to have threads modded.
Sergeant 1st Class jpcloet

Postby Kotaro on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:16 pm

jpcloet wrote:While we wait it would be nice to know what the current process is as many of us don't know. Nor is it in the Clan Guidelines I've been told we can submit e-tickets to have threads modded.

Thing is, it's not really a CC thing, it's more of an offsite, completely out of the admins hands thing. Until the forum creators come out with a patch to switch how it works, CC can do nothing
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

Captain Kotaro

Postby andy_is_awesome on Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:52 pm

Kotaro wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:I still don't understand, either, why leaders would have to see personnal information to lock threads.

Simply put, giving the Clan Leaders the power of the mods in their own little groups, also gets them a shiny little side button on the left side. And that little shiny button lets them see the personal information of users, so to avoid abuse, they won't do it yet.

So, what you are saying is that I can't be given the power to lock/unlock a usergroup thread unless I am made a mod???
I can't just be given those abilities without being made a mod???
Major andy_is_awesome

Postby Kotaro on Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:55 pm

andy_is_awesome wrote:So, what you are saying is that I can't be given the power to lock/unlock a usergroup thread unless I am made a mod???
I can't just be given those abilities without being made a mod???

Yes, in a way. Thread locking/deleting is a mod power. To get this, they'd give you modship of just your private usergroup, however, that would put you in the moderators usergroup, giving you access to IP addresses of users, and that's not allowed, because that's abusable.

I wonder if they can't make a new usergroup for private moderators, and customize those powers...
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

Captain Kotaro

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions