Conquer Club

Auto Refresh Customization

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: be able to turn off the auto refresh

Postby Queen_Herpes on Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:37 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Mr_Adams wrote:There are instances where it is very nice, but in sequential speed games, it is really unnecessary, as nothing changes unless you do something.

The only type of speed game I play is sequential, so I don't get what you're trying to say, I guess. I like that once my opponent moves, it pops up and tells me it's my turn. I'd hate to have to continually refresh my screen just to check.

Is it because I typically will only play one speed game at a time? (Because I consider it very rude to play in enough speed games that you are slow in all of them.)

Again, I'm not saying I'm against this idea...I see no reason not to do it, since it would simply be something in your profile that you select/deselect...just trying to understand it.

If, in the middle of scrolling through the drop-down on a huge map, the game auto-refreshes before you can click "attack" then you have to restart your scroll and reset the number of troops you are sending on an attack. Mr Adams sentiments are understood by me, and (hopefully) restated effectively in my comment. In a five minute turn, on a large map, this can have an effect on whether or not a player gets everything accomplished in that one turn. Woodruff has a good point as well, that players would have to then hit the refresh button. For me, I'd rather hit the refresh button on my opponent'(s') turn(s) than be kicked out of the drop-down on my own turn. I would definitely turn off the auto refresh in my speed games.
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby 40kguy on Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:55 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Mr_Adams wrote:Auto refresh was a good idea at the start, but I have now several times had a speed game auto refresh, as I was clicking the attack or deploy buttons. So, I thought, there should be a tick box to turn off the auto refresh, as those of us who it bugs ARE paying members, and would VERY MUCH appreciate it.

I'm not one it bothers, but I don't mind this suggestion at all...it just makes me wonder...wouldn't that make it an awfully big pain in the butt to play speed games, having to manually refresh all the time?

For me, I would think the occasional annoyance of having to re-click the attack/deploy buttons (I know what you mean, as it is annoying when it happens) would be far less of one than constantly having to refresh the screen.

it does it every five seconds. I've seen people take half of the board in five minutes
16:00:18 ā€¹Pixarā€ŗ Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
Cook 40kguy

Postby Woodruff on Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:02 pm

40kguy wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
Mr_Adams wrote:Auto refresh was a good idea at the start, but I have now several times had a speed game auto refresh, as I was clicking the attack or deploy buttons. So, I thought, there should be a tick box to turn off the auto refresh, as those of us who it bugs ARE paying members, and would VERY MUCH appreciate it.

I'm not one it bothers, but I don't mind this suggestion at all...it just makes me wonder...wouldn't that make it an awfully big pain in the butt to play speed games, having to manually refresh all the time?

For me, I would think the occasional annoyance of having to re-click the attack/deploy buttons (I know what you mean, as it is annoying when it happens) would be far less of one than constantly having to refresh the screen.

it does it every five seconds. I've seen people take half of the board in five minutes

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. I know it auto-refreshes every five seconds. But what does that have to do with taking half the board in five minutes?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby 40kguy on Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:39 pm

you said it must be a pain to refresh the map all the time. I was telling you that you should be doing that because there are people on CC that are fast enough to take half the board.
16:00:18 ā€¹Pixarā€ŗ Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
Cook 40kguy

Postby Woodruff on Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:40 pm

40kguy wrote:you said it must be a pain to refresh the map all the time. I was telling you that you should be doing that because there are people on CC that are fast enough to take half the board.

Oh, I got you. That's true for freestyle, certainly. I don't play freestyle, however.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby 40kguy on Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:42 pm

ok well this is a bug im trying to quote you but it wont let me.

a lot of people do play freestyle tho so i think having a non auto refresh would work well. mainly because if you play freestyle you might need to take that one spot and then it refreshes giving someone else the kill.
Cook 40kguy

Postby Mr_Adams on Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:53 pm

even if it just turned off auto refresh during your turn. that way it doesn't get in the way of you setting up an attack, but it still refreshes so you know when it's your turn. As for multiple speed games, I limit myself to 2 as well, so as not to slow down games.
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby Woodruff on Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:55 pm

Mr_Adams wrote:even if it just turned off auto refresh during your turn. that way it doesn't get in the way of you setting up an attack, but it still refreshes so you know when it's your turn.

Ah, now this is definitely an improvement. For sequential games, this is the perfect answer, I do believe.

Postby Mr_Adams on Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:56 pm

I'll add a revision to the OP. =)
Captain Mr_Adams

No Auto refresh on speed when your turn (unless freestyle)

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:30 pm

Concise description: I am suggesting that we stop the auto refreshing that happens in speed games for the person who is taking their turn.

Specifics/Details: I always find it massively annoying to go to hit the assault button only to find that it has auto refreshed and I "miss-click". Another scenario is when I am selecting a territory to attack or attack from it resets. Especially on larger maps this annoys the CRAP out of me. I don't know if its possible or wise but I think that it would improve the gameplay and make speed games that aren't freestyle play, much, much more enthralling and easier to navigate.

Being I do some programming myself I know this is possible, but I'm pretty low level so I'm not sure how difficult it would be.
Offsite to 12/31/2023. Reach out to TheSpaceCowboy to reach me
Major Swimmerdude99

Re: No Auto refresh on speed when your turn (unless freestyl

Postby Woodruff on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:28 pm

swimmerdude99 wrote:Concise description: I am suggesting that we stop the auto refreshing that happens in speed games for the person who is taking their turn.

Specifics/Details: I always find it massively annoying to go to hit the assault button only to find that it has auto refreshed and I "miss-click". Another scenario is when I am selecting a territory to attack or attack from it resets. Especially on larger maps this annoys the CRAP out of me. I don't know if its possible or wise but I think that it would improve the gameplay and make speed games that aren't freestyle play, much, much more enthralling and easier to navigate.

Being I do some programming myself I know this is possible, but I'm pretty low level so I'm not sure how difficult it would be.

I would have thought a programmer would be capable of using a search function.

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:48 pm

Hahahaha lol, never even saw that.... nice tool, could be useful. haha
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:49 pm

Bump
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:48 am

swimmerdude99 wrote:Bump

Do not bump a thread unless you have something meaningful to add to the thread.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby greenoaks on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:18 am

the drop-down does not reset when it refreshes. it stays on whatever i was on when it started.

this suggestion is of no use to me.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Mr_Adams on Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:41 am

greenoaks wrote:the drop-down does not reset when it refreshes. it stays on whatever i was on when it started.

What browser do you use? Don't remember if I was on Safari or Firefox when I noticed this. I've gotten clickies since then, so it doesn't bother me anymore. ;)
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:50 am

Woodruff wrote:
Mr_Adams wrote:even if it just turned off auto refresh during your turn. that way it doesn't get in the way of you setting up an attack, but it still refreshes so you know when it's your turn.

Ah, now this is definitely an improvement. For sequential games, this is the perfect answer, I do believe.

I agree. I don't play freestyle, but do sometimes play more than one speed game, so I am rushing. I have more than once thought I was hitting attack country x, only to find that auto-refresh wound up jerking it so I actually attacked a different country.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:51 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:
swimmerdude99 wrote:Bump

Do not bump a thread unless you have something meaningful to add to the thread.

Sorry, okay here goes.

So is there a reason this issue has not been addressed? It would be kinda nice. Could somebody give me some reasons why making a change here would be bad? I just don't see a downside to the board NOT auto refreshing during a sequential speedgame.
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:52 pm

That there is a greasemonkey, etc fix doesn't help those of us who don't use Firefox, etc and just don't want a bunch of add-ons.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby SirSebstar on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:51 pm

considering the auto refresh was brought in due to an express request, i dont see any reason why it cannot go back. ecpect ofcourse many people like it
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby Woodruff on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:38 pm

SirSebstar wrote:considering the auto refresh was brought in due to an express request, i dont see any reason why it cannot go back. ecpect ofcourse many people like it

I don't think it should "go back", but rather be altered as Mr. Adams recommended.

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:10 am

SirSebstar wrote:considering the auto refresh was brought in due to an express request, i dont see any reason why it cannot go back. ecpect ofcourse many people like it

As Woodruff noted, we are not asking for a complete reversal, just the option to turn it off. There are absolutely times when autorefresh is great, just not always.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Queen_Herpes on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:12 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:

As Woodruff noted, we are not asking for a complete reversal, just the option to turn it off. There are absolutely times when autorefresh is great, just not always.

Definitely. Allow an "off" button for those of us who hate it when playing speed. (although it has been a while since I've played speed.)

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby greenoaks on Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:21 am

Mr_Adams wrote:
greenoaks wrote:the drop-down does not reset when it refreshes. it stays on whatever i was on when it started.

What browser do you use? Don't remember if I was on Safari or Firefox when I noticed this. I've gotten clickies since then, so it doesn't bother me anymore. ;)

i am using firefox & i don't have a problem with it
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Mr_Adams on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:44 am

greenoaks wrote:
Mr_Adams wrote:

i am using firefox & i don't have a problem with it

So firefox must store the changes you make to the box, but not all programs do that. The refresh refreshes the page, and so on Safari, it was resetting to the original attack settings.
Captain Mr_Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions