Conquer Club

[GP] [Rules] Eliminate Deferred Troops

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Get rid of "deferred" troops after missing a turn

Postby Army of GOD on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:21 am

TheForgivenOne wrote:
Crazy Frog wrote:In Round three of Game number 7344897 The following happened:

I started to play my round and just as I started to deploy the troops the Internet Service Providers power went off for a few hours.

Next morning when the internet was back on I went to see my game... all was in descent shape.. I did loose a spot and was with minor damage from enemy fire... but with my "Owed 9 deffered troops" I should have been fine when I got to move again... But on my next move I was not able to recieve my 9 troops.. Not even at the end of the round for reinforcement... they were counted as "Awarded" to me in Round 3 but vanished when they were not deployed...

I looked it up in the rules and it is there... But I would respectfully ask that this situation be handled as a "Missed Turn" rather than the way the Rules are currently handling it... "No deployment or partial deployment = Troops bumped to the end of next round" would be fine...
This ruined that game for me...

Hope someone in here that works in the rules can take another look at this situation... see how it may be better handled...
Thanks Crazy Frog

I suggest you make a new thread for this Suggestion.

I suggest you make a new thread for this Suggestion.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby BoganGod on Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:57 pm

going no where.... what a surprise :roll:

No one has yet proved the point that in the majority of cases missed turns = clear advantage to the turn misser(yes I just created a word, sorry grammar Nazis). The isolated cases quoted here do not a strong case make. I'm sure if someone could be arsed going through and taking a random sample of say about 200turns missed, they would not that the person missing loses more times than wins....... Of course no one will bother doing that, its so much easier to grab personal frustrating examples of people wasting ones precious time, and brood on the time lost in public..... Useful thread though, proves that people like a dog returning to its vomit will continue to regurgitate the same old shit, then eat it because they like the taste. Someone say something logical and original, aside from Incandenza who I applaud for using logic in a vain attempt to make feather filled heads think rather than emote. Anyone? Doubt that I'll find a sensible post when I return to view this thread in a few days.
Corporal BoganGod

Postby Lindax on Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:00 pm

BoganGod wrote:No one has yet proved the point that in the majority of cases missed turns = clear advantage to the turn misser(yes I just created a word, sorry grammar Nazis).

Since I started this suggestion, I feel compelled to come back to my own vomit once more.

I never said that there was a clear advantage for the turn-misser in the majority of missed turns. In my humble opinion the mere fact that there is a possibility of an advantage is enough to warrant getting rid of deferred troops.

This sensible enough for you?

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby BoganGod on Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:44 am

Lindax wrote:
BoganGod wrote:No one has yet proved the point that in the majority of cases missed turns = clear advantage to the turn misser(yes I just created a word, sorry grammar Nazis).

Since I started this suggestion, I feel compelled to come back to my own vomit once more.

I never said that there was a clear advantage for the turn-misser in the majority of missed turns. In my humble opinion the mere fact that there is a possibility of an advantage is enough to warrant getting rid of deferred troops.

Lx

That is a sensible sir, maybe I'm straying off topic, by agreeing with those that feel the existing penalties for missed turns are punative/punishment enough. You never said "that there was a clear advantage for the turn-misser in the majority of missed turns" others have, some seem to think that its a deliberate tactic used by smart people playing outside the rules. In my opinion and that of a few others stated here, whilst in there might be a possibility of an advantage, there is a probability of a disadvantage in missing turns. For all the reasons laid out earlier in thread. My "vomit" statement was aimed not at you for starting this thread on a subject which affects all of us, but at those that keep on dropping isolated examples of games played that don't prove the case. I feel this has become an air your gripes about a particular game where you time was wasted, rather than a discussion about logically proving that missed turns = unfair advantage.

Bogan
Corporal BoganGod

Postby yeti_c on Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:54 am

Lindax wrote:

Lx

Not really...

The fact of the matter is - there isn't an advantage - there is a penalty... if you're getting beaten by people who are skipping turns - I suggest you look at your own strategy and not theirs...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby jefjef on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:30 am

BoganGod wrote:going no where.... what a surprise :roll:

No one has yet proved the point that in the majority of cases missed turns = clear advantage to the turn misser(yes I just created a word, sorry grammar Nazis). The isolated cases quoted here do not a strong case make. I'm sure if someone could be arsed going through and taking a random sample of say about 200turns missed, they would not that the person missing loses more times than wins....... Of course no one will bother doing that, its so much easier to grab personal frustrating examples of people wasting ones precious time, and brood on the time lost in public..... Useful thread though, proves that people like a dog returning to its vomit will continue to regurgitate the same old shit, then eat it because they like the taste. Someone say something logical and original, aside from Incandenza who I applaud for using logic in a vain attempt to make feather filled heads think rather than emote. Anyone? Doubt that I'll find a sensible post when I return to view this thread in a few days.

Speaking of regurgitation. I'm going to vomit again. Feel free to lick it up.

No one is saying/claiming that "majority of cases missed turns = clear advantage to the turn misser" or a "consistently viable strategy". :roll:

But there are undeniably some game situations that a missed turn can be successfully used as a strategy.

As lindax stated "the mere fact that there is a possibility of an advantage is enough to warrant getting rid of deferred troops".

Now bogan I know you love the deferred and are here defending it because your one of many who misses butt loads of turns. It makes you shrug and go "O well, I get my deferment and I get to put a pile on partner :D ".

I bet if there was no deferred you would:
A) Not miss so many
B) Not have soo many games active.

An yeti. <yawn> :roll: There are situations where it is not a "penalty".
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby yeti_c on Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:04 pm

jefjef wrote:But there are undeniably some game situations that a missed turn can be successfully used as a strategy.

Really?

What are these then?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MichelSableheart on Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:45 pm

yeti wrote:Really?

What are these then?

C.
Stalemated 1v1 No spoils where your opponent is on the defensive. Miss two turns to force your opponent to devide his defenses equaly among the different borders, then place three turns worth of troops on the weakest border to create a decisive stack difference. If you don't miss a turn, your opponent can place his troops opposite yours, thereby avoiding that stack difference.

You're well defended in a three player standard game against relatively inexperienced opponents. Miss two turns to simulate a deadbeat and watch them attack each other.

You hold five cards in Nuclear spoils, including a territory that is threatened by a large stack of an opponent, which has to be cashed in. Miss a turn to delay the cash till after he has moved his huge stack to the territory about to be nuked.

The claim that there are no situations where missing a turn is a viable strategy is just as ridiculous as the claim that there is always a huge advantage to missing a turn. In general, the negatives to missing a turn strongly outweigh the positives though, which makes the removal of deferred troops unnecessary IMO.
Brigadier MichelSableheart

Postby yeti_c on Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:12 pm

MichelSableheart wrote:Stalemated 1v1 No spoils where your opponent is on the defensive. Miss two turns to force your opponent to devide his defenses equaly among the different borders, then place three turns worth of troops on the weakest border to create a decisive stack difference. If you don't miss a turn, your opponent can place his troops opposite yours, thereby avoiding that stack difference.

Not an advantage - as during those 2 missed turns the player who isn't missing should break the stalemate - also the "decisive" stack will be countered by the player not being able to use them until the following turn - by which time the non skipping player will have a turn to counter the threat.

MichelSableheart wrote:You're well defended in a three player standard game against relatively inexperienced opponents. Miss two turns to simulate a deadbeat and watch them attack each other.

Not an advantage - you're merely citing poor play from other players.

MichelSableheart wrote:You hold five cards in Nuclear spoils, including a territory that is threatened by a large stack of an opponent, which has to be cashed in. Miss a turn to delay the cash till after he has moved his huge stack to the territory about to be nuked.

This could be an advantage - but it purely about this card type... perhaps a tweak to the rules for Nuke spoils saying that a player can't cash immediately after a missed turn.

MichelSableheart wrote:The claim that there are no situations where missing a turn is a viable strategy is just as ridiculous as the claim that there is always a huge advantage to missing a turn. In general, the negatives to missing a turn strongly outweigh the positives though, which makes the removal of deferred troops unnecessary IMO.

You have managed to find one advantage specific to one card type that could be changed for that card type... I suggest that this suggestion be distilled into a new suggestion.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Queen_Herpes on Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:45 pm

MichelSableheart wrote:Stalemated 1v1 No spoils where your opponent is on the defensive. Miss two turns to force your opponent to devide his defenses equaly among the different borders, then place three turns worth of troops on the weakest border to create a decisive stack difference. If you don't miss a turn, your opponent can place his troops opposite yours, thereby avoiding that stack difference.

yeti_c wrote:Not an advantage - as during those 2 missed turns the player who isn't missing should break the stalemate - also the "decisive" stack will be countered by the player not being able to use them until the following turn - by which time the non skipping player will have a turn to counter the threat.

"Should break" and "likelihood of breaking" are two different things. The turn misser can wait to see if missing a turn would be a good option, especially in fog. The turn misser can also wait an additional missed turn to see if the other player(s) have been effective enough to break. I see this as an advantage, as you can wait until it is necessary to rejoin the game. If you are making a choice as to whether you will miss a turn, miss another turn, or miss a third turn, purposefully, then it is a strategy that, for some reason, provides an advantage. (ex: miss one turn, assess the situation to see if coming back in and taking your next turn is necessary. Miss two turns, asses the situation to see if returning for the third is futile or not. or, return for the third turn just to prolong the game.)

MichelSableheart wrote:You're well defended in a three player standard game against relatively inexperienced opponents. Miss two turns to simulate a deadbeat and watch them attack each other.

yeti_c wrote:Not an advantage - you're merely citing poor play from other players.

Advantage. Its not always the best move to attack the player-who-is-missing in a 1v1v1. If you immediately follower the turn-misser and thin yourself out to "break" the turn misser, the third player to go can have a field day on either or both of the other two players. Again, the turn-misser can wait to see if missing one or two turns will work to an advantage. The players who are not missing their turns have to use diplomacy to handle the situation. Missing a turn is a strategy, and it is only a strategy because of the deferred troops. Remove the deferred troops and you eliminate the strategic option.

MichelSableheart wrote:You hold five cards in Nuclear spoils, including a territory that is threatened by a large stack of an opponent, which has to be cashed in. Miss a turn to delay the cash till after he has moved his huge stack to the territory about to be nuked.

yeti_c wrote:This could be an advantage - but it purely about this card type... perhaps a tweak to the rules for Nuke spoils saying that a player can't cash immediately after a missed turn.

I think if you find one way where it can be used to an advantage, you could easily agree to eliminate the deferred troops, rather than create a complicated coding situation to prevent a player with 5 cards from cashing.

MichelSableheart wrote:The claim that there are no situations where missing a turn is a viable strategy is just as ridiculous as the claim that there is always a huge advantage to missing a turn. In general, the negatives to missing a turn strongly outweigh the positives though, which makes the removal of deferred troops unnecessary IMO.

yeti_c wrote:You have managed to find one advantage specific to one card type that could be changed for that card type... I suggest that this suggestion be distilled into a new suggestion.

Yeti, if there are advantages to missing a turn specific to a card type, I'm sorry, but you'd have to respect the fact that an advantage exists.
Last edited by Queen_Herpes on Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby jefjef on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:11 pm

yeti_c wrote:
jefjef wrote:But there are undeniably some game situations that a missed turn can be successfully used as a strategy.

Really?

What are these then?

C.

Read the thread and do not bother me. It's all in here. From delayed spoils cashes to team game miss turn strategies.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby yeti_c on Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:36 pm

Queen_Herpes wrote:Yeti, if there are advantages to missing a turn specific to a card type, I'm sorry, but you'd have to respect the fact that an advantage exists.

Your argument is now completely invalid - you want to change a system that works for 99% of the game types in the system - but not for 1%...

This means that you should change the 1% variation - not the 99% that currently works fine.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby lord voldemort on Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:42 pm

and jefjef...no team is going to miss a turn on purpose to get a stack...its called attackers advantage ;)
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby yeti_c on Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:46 pm

jefjef wrote:Read the thread and do not bother me. It's all in here. From delayed spoils cashes to team game miss turn strategies.

None of these "opinion" are proven fact - face it your argument is void and you have no proof.

Suggest lock and bin - this thread is going nowhere.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby jefjef on Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:09 pm

yeti_c wrote:
jefjef wrote:Read the thread and do not bother me. It's all in here. From delayed spoils cashes to team game miss turn strategies.

None of these "opinion" are proven fact - face it your argument is void and you have no proof.

Suggest lock and bin - this thread is going nowhere.

C.

Well if you had any strategic sense what you say might actually carry weight.

It's a fact that people abuse the missed turn deferment and removes some incentive to not miss turns.

FOED. 98% turn taker. I bet thats why your defending it so vehemently.

But I agree. This should be locked.

lord voldemort wrote:and jefjef...no team is going to miss a turn on purpose to get a stack...its called attackers advantage ;)

This is a bunch of shit. It's being used in a game I'm in by 3 teams that have a peace agreement. Cheap tactics crap. ;) ;) ;)

There are those that abuse it and occasionally it has some pay off for them.

But thanks for ringing the attackers advantage bell. I had no clue. Guess I got rank from playing only deadbeats. :roll:

BUT For some of you to say that missing turns is never used as a strategy and no one has ever benefited from it is ludicrous.
Colonel jefjef

Postby yeti_c on Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:01 pm

jefjef wrote:Well if you had any strategic sense what you say might actually carry weight.

It's a fact that people abuse the missed turn deferment and removes some incentive to not miss turns.

Yep - your arguments are about as good as your maturity - congratulations.

C.

PS - If I miss so many turns - then try to find a game where I have missed a turn and benefitted from it?!
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Lindax on Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:20 pm

yeti_c wrote:
Lindax wrote:

Lx

Not really...

The fact of the matter is - there isn't an advantage - there is a penalty... if you're getting beaten by people who are skipping turns - I suggest you look at your own strategy and not theirs...

C.

I'm really surprised that an intelligent person like yourself simply refuses to see that there can be an advantage. And then you turn it around implying that the players not missing a turn are lacking strategy skills if they get beaten. Ridiculous!

If this is where we are in the thread I wholeheartedly agree that it may as well get locked.

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby jefjef on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:20 pm

yeti_c wrote:
jefjef wrote:Well if you had any strategic sense what you say might actually carry weight.

Yep - your arguments are about as good as your maturity - congratulations.

C.

PS - If I miss so many turns - then try to find a game where I have missed a turn and benefitted from it?!

What is so hard to freaking understand? Just cuz you have never benefited from it does not mean others haven't. We are not saying it is a valid strategy or that everyone benefits from it or knows how to but there are circumstances that a missed turn does benefit the deadbeat.

I and others have already argued it. How about you take your time and read and understand the whats and whens and hows.

Now. As lindax stated: The mere fact that there is a possibility of an advantage is enough to warrant getting rid of deferred troops.
Colonel jefjef

Postby yeti_c on Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:41 pm

jefjef wrote:What is so hard to freaking understand? Just cuz you have never benefited from it does not mean others haven't. We are not saying it is a valid strategy or that everyone benefits from it or knows how to but there are circumstances that a missed turn does benefit the deadbeat.

I and others have already argued it. How about you take your time and read and understand the whats and whens and hows.

Now. As lindax stated: The mere fact that there is a possibility of an advantage is enough to warrant getting rid of deferred troops.

I understand perfectly well that you and others want a way to punish people that can't take their turns 100% of the time...

Once again - come back with a valid argument and we can discuss it...

Not an opinion that will help you and your ilk win easy victories.

C.

PS - How's that Foeing going for you - I see that you read my last post - so will assume that you will read this...
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:43 pm

Lindax wrote:I'm really surprised that an intelligent person like yourself simply refuses to see that there can be an advantage. And then you turn it around implying that the players not missing a turn are lacking strategy skills if they get beaten. Ridiculous!

If this is where we are in the thread I wholeheartedly agree that it may as well get locked.

Lx

The classic troll reply of - "I'm really surprised/disappointed etc in you" and not actually putting forth any valid argument... Shame.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Queen_Herpes on Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:31 pm

yeti_c wrote:
Lindax wrote:I'm really surprised that an intelligent person like yourself simply refuses to see that there can be an advantage. And then you turn it around implying that the players not missing a turn are lacking strategy skills if they get beaten. Ridiculous!

Lx

The classic troll reply of - "I'm really surprised/disappointed etc in you" and not actually putting forth any valid argument... Shame.

C.

OH my goodness, tone it down Yeti_C. You're a moderator!

Lindax didn't need to add additional arguments as they have all been made over and over again throughout the thread. It is you, a moderator, who is trolling this thread and baiting others into off-topic arguments. Lindax, as the suggestor and Original Poster SHOULD be posting in this thread. However, as he is on vacation, I thought I would pick up the torch and attempt to straighten this out.

Further posts on this topic should be just that...on topic.

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby jefjef on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:32 pm

Queen_Herpes wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

Lx

C.

OH my goodness, tone it down Yeti_C. You're a moderator!

Lindax didn't need to add additional arguments as they have all been made over and over again throughout the thread. It is you, a moderator, who is trolling this thread and baiting others into off-topic arguments. Lindax, as the suggestor and Original Poster SHOULD be posting in this thread. However, as he is on vacation, I thought I would pick up the torch and attempt to straighten this out.

Further posts on this topic should be just that...on topic.

=D> Well stated queen!

Perhaps a mod boss would like to jam something up yetis troll...

yeti_c wrote:
jefjef wrote:Now. As lindax stated: The mere fact that there is a possibility of an advantage is enough to warrant getting rid of deferred troops.

I understand perfectly well that you and others want a way to punish people that can't take their turns 100% of the time...

Once again - come back with a valid argument and we can discuss it...

Not an opinion that will help you and your ilk win easy victories.

My ilk? Do you mean those of us who take our turns, play an honest game and progress the game?

I'm glad to be part of that ilk.

Thank you!
Colonel jefjef

Re: Eliminate deferred troops on first turn only

Postby imad.saade on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:53 am

Guys i need to know the rule of who starts first during a normal game?
what the rule?
Sergeant imad.saade

Postby drunkmonkey on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:59 am

imad.saade wrote:Guys i need to know the rule of who starts first during a normal game?
what the rule?

It's random.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby alex951 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:17 am

I like this. You get punished for not taking your first turn but how will this affect new NR who are I think likely to miss their first turns?
Corporal alex951

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions