Conquer Club

[GL] Game Log 2.0

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Postby Yablonsky on Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:15 pm

I want to preface this with the fact that I really do LOVE CC, but when I played over at DominateGame.com, they had a graphical pie chart showing how many armies each player had as well as another pie chart showing the countries each player had. This was EXTREMELY helpful in making decisions of attacking or not a particular opponent.

Just a suggestion.
Corporal Yablonsky

Postby GreecePwns on Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:43 pm

Yablonsky wrote:I want to preface this with the fact that I really do LOVE CC, but when I played over at DominateGame.com, they had a graphical pie chart showing how many armies each player had as well as another pie chart showing the countries each player had. This was EXTREMELY helpful in making decisions of attacking or not a particular opponent.

Just a suggestion.
I hope i'm interpreting this correctly...

If you download the CC Greasemonkey Script, you can got # of armies, territories and armies due next turn, as well as a Strength Factor that (normally) can tell who is the strongest player.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Postby vinnie2k on Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:17 pm

I'd love a replay feature. I suck and I get eliminated early, but at least I could watch the endgame from the sidelines :-)
Cadet vinnie2k

Add in casualties to the game log.

Postby digibrink on Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:36 am

It would help everyone be able to follow along with the action. Sometimes I come back to a game and I can't figure out what happened to my horde.

Thanks!
Corporal 1st Class digibrink

Postby wicked on Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:39 am

...in the works. next time please check the "to-do" list. thanks!
Major wicked

Postby wcaclimbing on Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:19 pm

Game log 2.0 on the list.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby remydog on Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:47 am

My 2 cents - please do something to make the attack logs more informative. I would love to know when an opponent has made an attack without having to try to remember what armies were where in the previous round and then looking to see what changed. This might even be a change log, showing how many of what color armies were in each country at the beginning of the round and how they changed from turn to turn.
Sergeant 1st Class remydog

Postby Herakilla on Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:01 pm

remydog wrote:My 2 cents - please do something to make the attack logs more informative. I would love to know when an opponent has made an attack without having to try to remember what armies were where in the previous round and then looking to see what changed. This might even be a change log, showing how many of what color armies were in each country at the beginning of the round and how they changed from turn to turn.

try using the note to self to mark any territories you want watched.

e.g. Kamchatka 12 armies round 2

if you come back on round 3 and find that Kamchatka has 3 armies then you can conclude that it was either attacked or attacked
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby remydog on Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:11 pm

Great suggestion for local situations, but does not give an overall view.
Sergeant 1st Class remydog

Postby Herakilla on Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:51 pm

well when i need to use note to self for that, i only care about specific territories so it works well for me
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby pimphawks70 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:05 pm

I think it would be pretty cool but would clog up the game box!
Brigadier pimphawks70

Postby lackattack on Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:09 pm

maybe the log should only show the last 3 rounds when we have this. there could be a link to load the full log if you want to.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby yeti_c on Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:41 pm

lackattack wrote:maybe the log should only show the last 3 rounds when we have this. there could be a link to load the full log if you want to.

Good idea...

BOB will be able to read the full log with an XML call (Which should make it quicker than parsing a shit load of string) so that won't be a problem.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Show armies lost for both sides during attacks in game log

Postby towhitehead on Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:01 pm

I LOVE this game!!
I have no complaints at all but I think it would be a nice touch to show the number of armies each side lost on the 'conquered' line in the game log. For instance:

2008-02-10 23:34:40 - CrazyEddie attacked Java from Sumatra and conquered it from Duff-Man (12/4).

This would make it fun to commisserate with people for 'crappy dice' and also appreciate somebody running through a force with little or no effort!

Thanks!
Last edited by towhitehead on Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class towhitehead

Postby MrBenn on Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:03 pm

I've suggested something similar elsewhere, and apparently it's on the To Do list (as Log v2 or something). :wink:
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby yeti_c on Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:05 pm

Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby towhitehead on Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:25 pm

Ahhh - thanks! It seemed like such a good idea I should have known somebody would have already suggested it!
Private 1st Class towhitehead

More info on game log

Postby kozone4 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:09 pm

Not sure if there's already a post, but I think the log should have more info pertaining to how many troops were used in an attack, and how many were lost in the defense.

For example:

2008-02-20 02:02:05 - Player A attacked Irkutsk with 12 troops from Mongolia and conquered it from Player B who lost 6 troops during the defense.
Major kozone4

Postby spiesr on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:46 pm

Game Log 2.0 is on the to-do list.

Please thoroughly read the following threads and perform a forum search before making suggestions:
Suggestions Box (Lack's 'To-Do' List)
Suggestion & Bug Report Forms
Map Bug? Plugin Bug?
Captain spiesr

Advanced and Verbose Logging

Postby reconciledthief on Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:43 pm

Suggestion: increase log verbosity, create standard logging format, add "download log" link.
Uses: Replay/Reanimation plugins/apps that could digest and parse a given log.

There are only a few things that I can think of off hand that would be necessary, and I believe some of these features are included in other feature enhancements...

1) Record starting position of each player.
2) Record each attack/defense.
3) Record the rolls for attack/defense.
4) Develop standard log format that is easy to parse. XML might be useful, but you could come up with your own. For example:

<reconciledthief><From_Territory><3,2,6><defender_name><To_Territory><2,2>
Where the columns are:

Attacker Name | Attack From Territory Name | Dice rolls | Defender Name | To_Territory | Dice Rolls

You might have to add more tags to signify whether then following data would be for a fortification, or for an attack. Prefixing the log with an <a> or an <f> might solve that.

5) Place a link on finished games to download the log.

This would allow community members to write the replay/reanimation application, taking load off of the CC programmer(s). Obviously, once the app is written, you could integrate it into the CC website, or just leave it in the community's hands.

There's already a decent amount of info in the log, so the real request here is for more verbosity. A standard for how the logs are written isn't a necessity, but it would be somewhat beneficial, I believe.

Apologies if this has been asked before. I did a search and found a single thread, but there was no conclusion to it, really, so I wanted to bring this up again.
Sergeant reconciledthief

Postby yeti_c on Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:48 pm

This is *technically* on the Todo as "Game Log 2.0"...

But your post goes into a fair bit more detail and is well thought out.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby cicero on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:26 pm

Game Replay is my own personal 'most wished for' feature. Hence "bring on Game Log 2.0" !!

It allows others to marvel at the beauty of your strategy.

And it makes cheats easier to confirm.

Cicero
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Postby yeti_c on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:44 am

One slight word of warning for "replays"...

Whoever codes it will have to make their own numbers to overlay on the maps... this is because the numbers are generated by the server - and the server only generates the *latest* state... this is why the BOB snapshots feature was hard to code - I had to save the current "armies.png" down in order to preserve the exact state...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby reconciledthief on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:09 am

Well, generating the images that represent numbers shouldn't be that difficult. Creating the numbers themselves--making them up accurately--is practically impossible, unless you have a good starting point. You'd have to know exactly where every person started, so that you can base subsequent rolls, fortifications, and advancements on something. That's why I think it should be logged, as it takes the guess work out of the logic inside the re-play/animation app.

Whenever I script or program, I tend to log way more than necessary so that I don't end up in a situation where I'm wondering why I didn't log something.

I'll have into check out this "Game Log" utility you guys speak of. Sounds interesting.
Sergeant reconciledthief

Postby yeti_c on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:12 am

Indeed - hence why replay add-ons aren't made yet (Well actually there is one but it doesn't show numbers)

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions