Conquer Club

[PC] Average Wait / Response Time

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Should we place an Average Wait Time on each person's wall?

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes : 32

Re: Show "Player Average Turn Length" when joining 24 hour g

Postby deeptime on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:41 am

Of "most people" that you're referring to, do they primarily play 24 hr games? This suggestion would only affect that type of listing in the game finder.

Additionally, when I searched for "duration" and "length" in this forum prior to submitting this issue, there were a number of requests for 6 hr and 12 hr games. That speaks to an unserved need for faster long form games.

I'm skeptical about your generalization.
Sergeant 1st Class deeptime

Postby chapcrap on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:48 am

It's not a generalization. It's a fact. Here is the other suggestion: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=156346
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby ben.cleuch on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:55 am

I also felt a bit like this. Then I bought premium and can have as many games running as I want. There are players in many different time zones playing in the same games, so it may well be that there is a delay caused by this. To effectively mark a player as being slow is unfair.

If you are stuck with only four games running it does seem to drag. Introducing a critical marker on a wall will not prevent the player joining games.

The games are meant to be casual and fun not a form of speed game.
Sergeant 1st Class ben.cleuch

Postby maxfaraday on Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:00 am

I don't think this relevant.
FYI, there are other countries than the US with different time zones.
To: maxfaraday

I have noted this post and if it continues, there will be consequences for you.
Sergeant 1st Class maxfaraday

Postby macbone on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:40 am

Consider this as a perk to upgrading to Premium, I guess.

But yeah, I can see your point, deeptime. I play around 40-60 games at a whack, so I'm not worried about people taking their time to take a move, but when you're restricted to 4 games at a time, it can be annoying.

What about a stat that tracks a player's average turn length for 24-hour games?
Colonel macbone

Postby perchorin on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:51 am

maxfaraday wrote:I don't think this relevant.

exactly
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Postby DoomYoshi on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:33 am

macbone wrote:What about a stat that tracks a player's average turn length for 24-hour games?

I think that is what is being proposed.

From a purely mathematical perspective, this stat won't help you at all.

Exhibit A: means are highly changed by outliers. If I take 90% of my turns in 0-4 hours and 10% in 20-24 hours my average will still be around 4-5 hours. This is then useless information because in the above example, none of my turns are in the 4-5 hour range. Using a median may help, but it doesn't represent the 10% of long turns. My point is that it there are a billion different ways that the data can be misrepresented by a point estimate, and it won't help you find opponents.

Exhibit B: check out dice stats. Anyone with 1000+ games has no variability in dice results. I predict a similar result with turn length.

Exhibit C: types of games are different. Team games usually take nearly 24 hours per turn (at least in clan wars, the highest level of team play). This is because there is a lot of discussion and such, not because a player is slow. A player who is very serious about the game may spend an average of 22 hours per turn, but be on all day long. In other words: deciding to play someone in a small casual game based on clan games results doesn't make sense.

............."................
Easiest way: do some research and try to find players in similar time zones who come on at similar times. This method won't work, for the reasons I presented and for the others listed by other players.

With all the time you spend waiting for your turn, you could join a mafia game to help fill your time.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby ben.cleuch on Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:49 pm

maxfaraday wrote:I don't think this relevant.

If that was in reply to my post then I think you misread it or I did not make it clear. I said "There are players in many different time zones playing in the same games, so it may well be that there is a delay caused by this. To effectively mark a player as being slow is unfair."

The point I was tring to make was that we do not all live in the same time zone and delay is often unavoidable.
Sergeant 1st Class ben.cleuch

Postby agentcom on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:00 pm

In the topic chapcrap posted, I stated my support for this idea. That support has turned to indifference. This suggestion only really benefits freemium players (and there might be some premiums who like quick casual games for some reason). If I was a freemium, I would love this, but it would dissuade me from upgrading. I'd rather give freemiums a couple more games or do promotions where they can sign up for 10 games at a a time once per year than implement this suggestion.
Colonel agentcom

Average Response Time

Postby PapaGeek on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:59 pm

Concise description:
  • Add a profile statistic for Average Response Time

Specifics/Details:
  • Add a moving average of the amount of time it takes a player to make a move once it is their turn to move.
  • This is done over their last 100 turns.
  • Freestyle moves are not included

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • This would be helpful in choosing partners and who to invite to a game
  • It would also be advantageous to have a restriction on games only for those with an average response time of 12 hour or less, etc.
  • This does not change your actual time limit of 24 hours to make a move, just tells others how long you usually take.
Major PapaGeek

Re: Average Response Time

Postby TheForgivenOne on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:12 pm

And does this include Speed Games?
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby PapaGeek on Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:36 am

No, speed games would not be included. Just interested in the 24 hour games.

I've played a number of games with 8 players where I get to make a move no more than twice a week, sometimes just once a week.
Major PapaGeek

Postby BGtheBrain on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:34 am

Last edited by BGtheBrain on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain BGtheBrain

Postby squishyg on Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:39 am

I see why some people would value this information, but I don't like it because it creates the false impression that take your turn quickly is preferable to taking your turn strategically. Making 2 well thought out turns during the course of a week trumps 2 hastily planned turns a day.
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby Dorieus on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:27 am

One problem with this suggestion is that players in US time zones will have an advantage, whereas players in other zones will wrongly appear to be slower.
Private Dorieus

Postby BGtheBrain on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:35 am

Captain BGtheBrain

Postby blakebowling on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:38 pm

BGtheBrain wrote:
Dorieus wrote:One problem with this suggestion is that players in US time zones will have an advantage, whereas players in other zones will wrongly appear to be slower.

huh?

Please elaborate...
1 hour in the US is the same as 1 hour in Europe... unless Im missing something

What I think he is saying is, players in significantly offset timezones from the US (such as europe and china) will appear to be playing slower than players who are sequenced in the same order in the U.S.

I don't think that explained it better, so I'll give an example.

Players 1 - 3 of a 4 player game are in the US in lets say the same time zone (however any of the four US time zones will work). Player 4 is in Europe (at least a 5 hour time difference from the U.S. players). If players 1 - 3 are all on at the same time, and take their turns in order, it will cause them to have lower "response times", while player 4 will appear to take much longer as the times during the day aren't the same in both locations (i.e. when it's morning in the U.S. It's afternoon in the UK, when it's afternoon in the U.S. it's night in the UK).

This won't bias all of the results, but I really don't like it as it's another statistic that can be easily manipulated.
Private blakebowling

Postby BGtheBrain on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:02 pm

Captain BGtheBrain

Postby squishyg on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:36 pm

BGtheBrain wrote: I wouldnt join a game with a guy who has an avg turn time of 22 hours though lol

And that's exactly why this suggestion shouldn't go forward. It's discriminatory against people who take their time, people who need more time due to disabilities, people who live in less populated time zones, poor folks who rely on public computers, and Western Hemisphere players who work third shift!

Really, what would the black jesus say?
Robinette wrote:

The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby Shadow Assassin on Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:30 pm

I like this idea, but i think it should be for all games ever played. or even better, an option that lets you specify.\

as for the western hemisphere players playing faster, people can always take a look at your location indicated on your profile.
Major Shadow Assassin

Postby zimmah on Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:21 pm

BGtheBrain wrote:I like this.
Instead of 100 I'd prefer 1000

QFT

maybe have 1000 in the profile page and make it clickable to go to a page with more detailed information. like last 100, last 2000, average for all turns since it has been registered. and whatever else you can think of.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby chapcrap on Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:25 pm

I don't really care about this at all.

But, if you're gonna do it, I would use information from the last 30 days, instead of a set number of turns. Of course, this information will be a lot more for some than Others. I take 1000 turns in a couple of days... A freemium may take months to take that many turns.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby PapaGeek on Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:38 pm

Thanks for all the feedback:

I agree that doing it over the past 30 days would be better than the past 100 turns.

I don’t think that it would affect players who take their time when making a move. The concept is not how long it takes to make the actual move, but how long it takes before you start that move. The time span could go from when the previous player ended their turn and when the next player started theirs, if they take 45 minutes, that should not count against them.

Most days I check the boards when I get up in the morning, then at lunch time at work, then when I get home, and again before I go to bed at night. Some of my moves delay the game 10 to 12 hours, but most are in the 4 hour range.

Some players make their moves just once a day and this stat would point them out.

I play at 7 AM, 12 noon, 6 PM and 10 PM. That is 5, 6, 4, and 9 hours between checking the boards. I’m not sure how shifting times like that by a few hours for someone living in another country would affect this rating. What would affect it would be a person who plays just once a day.
Major PapaGeek

Postby MoB Deadly on Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:55 pm

This would not be in the best interest of the business side of CC. I remember when I was freemium, and I would look for all the players that played fast so I could have quick turnaround time for games.

Having all of your game slots full, entices freemium players to purchase an account and have unlimited games.
Art by: codierose | High Score: 2550
Corporal 1st Class MoB Deadly

Postby squishyg on Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:58 pm

PapaGeek wrote:Thanks for all the feedback:

I agree that doing it over the past 30 days would be better than the past 100 turns.

I don’t think that it would affect players who take their time when making a move. The concept is not how long it takes to make the actual move, but how long it takes before you start that move. The time span could go from when the previous player ended their turn and when the next player started theirs, if they take 45 minutes, that should not count against them.

Most days I check the boards when I get up in the morning, then at lunch time at work, then when I get home, and again before I go to bed at night. Some of my moves delay the game 10 to 12 hours, but most are in the 4 hour range.

Some players make their moves just once a day and this stat would point them out.

I play at 7 AM, 12 noon, 6 PM and 10 PM. That is 5, 6, 4, and 9 hours between checking the boards. I’m not sure how shifting times like that by a few hours for someone living in another country would affect this rating. What would affect it would be a person who plays just once a day.

Part of what I like about CC is that I only have to take my turns once a day. They advertise this on the homepage. Why should we make a big deal or create a false preference for player's who log on every few hours?
Robinette wrote:

The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions