Conquer Club

[GO] 48 Hour Round Length

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: After 1/2/3/4/5 minute speed games why not 24/48/72h cas

Postby conrwronski on Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Esspecially for private games it would seem resonable to have an option of picking longer rounds.
Major conrwronski

Postby Jippd on Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:42 am

Lots of the objections seem to be about people worried the new players will not notice and get stuck in these long games thus driving them away from the site.

So make the settings a premium only feature problem solved.

Or have an option in the user control panel somewhere with a clicky box. Freemiums can decide if their join a game search results will show the longer games or not.
Major Jippd

Postby blakebowling on Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:49 pm

Submitted.
Private blakebowling

New Round Length Options: Longer Rounds

Postby agentcom on Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:04 pm

Allow for even more casual games:
  • Allow Round lengths of 2 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month and maybe even longer
  • [Amended suggestion based on feedback:] Allow round lengths of 48 hours, 72 hours and 1 week

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • More players: Some players cannot or don't want to be online at least once a day. It would be nice if you could just check into your games every couple of days.
  • More scheduling flexibility: I would love to have a hundred active games and know that I won't have to spend hours a day on this site. For example, I could clear out a bunch of turns on the weekend or on a slow work day, and not have to worry about missing a bunch of turns when things pick up.
  • Consistency: CC has already worked on the other end of this list, allowing speed players to have even shorter rounds. Let's do the same for the more casual gamers.

Although I initially considered it, I DO NOT support the idea of an unlimited round length. Games need to be able to end if a player goes missing, dies (in real life), or actually quits the site. Games should not be able to sit forever just because some player isn't taking his turns. However, I do not see the harm in letting a game sit around for a long period of time, as long as it is actually moving forward.
Last edited by agentcom on Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel agentcom

Re: New Round Length Options: Longer Rounds

Postby chapcrap on Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:14 pm

A month?! Even the simplest game could take a year and bog down the server.

I might be ok with 48 or 72 hours, although those probably wouldn't be my preference, a month is a little too long. Way too long.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby redhawk92 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:15 pm

worst idea ive ever heard :lol:
Captain redhawk92

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:55 pm

I doubt a 1 month round turn will EVER be implemented. If someone was to deadbeat, it would take 3 months alone for that person to get kicked out. Also take in the fact of new users accidentally getting stuck in a 1 month game with a deadbeat. I'm pretty sure if they got stuck in 4 games, they'd quit the site on the spot.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby redhawk92 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:12 pm

can we just get this added to rejected :lol:
Captain redhawk92

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:33 am

8 player, trench, adjacent, nuclear on Hive with year long turns.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby agentcom on Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:22 pm

Good points all. I'll amend the suggestion after I type out this post.

chapcrap wrote:A month?! Even the simplest game could take a year and bog down the server.

I might be ok with 48 or 72 hours, although those probably wouldn't be my preference, a month is a little too long. Way too long.

What about just giving a couple of options that could go up to a week?

I probably overdid it when I wrote that out. I'd been thinking about it for a while, but didn't know what kind of reaction it would get. I appreciate the feedback ... that's the whole point of discussing suggestions.

TheForgivenOne wrote:I doubt a 1 month round turn will EVER be implemented. If someone was to deadbeat, it would take 3 months alone for that person to get kicked out. Also take in the fact of new users accidentally getting stuck in a 1 month game with a deadbeat. I'm pretty sure if they got stuck in 4 games, they'd quit the site on the spot.

Good point on the freemiums ... maybe 1 month would be another option only open to premiums. Or maybe I should amend the suggestion down to a week.

That said, I would bet that you'd be surprised about how many freemiums would like these options. The most vocal freemiums are a self-selecting group: they actively participate in this site beyond just taking their turns. It is no surprise that those people want as fast of gameplay as possible and think that every other freemium has the same incentives. However, I would not be surprised if there are many people who are freemiums for reasons like they don't want to spend a ton of time on this site and enjoy a casual gaming experience. You might even get some of these folks to sign up for premium if they knew that they could play more games on this site but do so at their convenience rather than once per day.

Army of GOD wrote:8 player, trench, adjacent, nuclear on Hive with year long turns.

Again, what about a week? Yes, this would still cause VERY long games, but we don't prohibit people from playing in very long games. Calls for surrender/draw options have been repeatedly rejected. Even without a week-long turn, I'm sure that the game you described would be virtually impossible to end (especially if you add sunny to the listed options). But we still allow people to play those settings.

-----------------

Bottom line: I would like to see more options out there for casual gamers. I rarely miss turns, but sometimes that's because I'm racing back to a hotel once a day or staying up late at night to clear out my turns. There are times when I'd probably play nothing but week-long turn lengths, so that I could just handle my turns at my convenience every weekend or so.
Colonel agentcom

Postby SimplyObsessed on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:17 pm

I wouldn't be against this as I do occasionally miss the odd turn accidently.

The fact is that many people work or have have other commitments that make it hard to get on here everyday. I think those people would be more likely to buy premium if was implemented because they would have the time to play more games.
SIMPLY'S 8-MAN DOODLE TOURNEY, NOW ACCEPTING PLAYERS - JOIN HERE - http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=169126
Corporal 1st Class SimplyObsessed

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:19 pm

Agree with this suggestion.

Sometimes when you have a hard day at work, it would be nice not to come home and have to take 40 or 50 turns. A 48- or 72- hour option would be very welcome.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby ahunda on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:13 pm

I have been thinking about this too. I just recently started playing again, after almost 2 years break. And already now, after only a couple of weeks, I am beginning to get stressed again.

The simple fact is: As soon as you start playing some games, you just have to log in each & every day to make sure you are not missing turns. And some days I am simply not in the mood or have better / more important things to do, and on these days CC becomes more stress & hassle than fun.

Nobody is forced to choose the option. If you are afraid, that new players might get stuck in such games & lose interest because of the long waiting times between turns, make it Premium only. Just like Speed Games.

This option combined with 1v1 team games (why are those still not implemented ?) would be my perfect CC experience.
Field Marshal ahunda

Postby HardAttack on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:28 am

good idea, i like a round length definition of a centrury please. This way my grandsons may keep my games goin on.
LEGENDS of WAR
Colonel HardAttack

Postby Flow520 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:44 am

I support the addition of 48hr and 72hr turn length options for premium players. I feel this could attract some more casual gamers, or those who have demanding schedules which do not permit logging on at least once every 24 hrs.
I dont think this option should be available to freemium players.
I think anything longer than 72hrs would be detrimental.

*edit, fixed typo in first sentence.
Major Flow520

Postby IditarodGuy on Tue May 15, 2012 4:39 pm

Don't enable new guys to be able to play it them, prohibit them just as they can only play in standard games.
Major IditarodGuy

Postby agentcom on Tue May 15, 2012 7:49 pm

I just discovered that a variation of this is in the "Submitted Suggestions." I understand that some people see "Submitted Suggestions" as a place where good suggestions go to die. But how well the Suggestions Forum functions is an issue to be dealt with separately. What is important here is that all the discussion on and support for a topic be in one place and easily accessible. I believe that there has been some good discussion here, and some of it is unique (i.e. not covered in the thread below). Therefore, I request that this thread be merged with Dukasaur's thread:

viewtopic.php?f=535&t=161125&start=30
Colonel agentcom

Postby agentcom on Tue May 15, 2012 7:59 pm

Requested that my similar topic be merged with this one. Hopefully the discussion there will help this one out.

In reading this thread, the main reason that I see people voicing disagreement for is the following: What if people accidentally join a 72 hour game when they don't want to?

My response to this depends on who those "people" are:

people = freemiums with only 4 slots---Don't let freemiums play this, just like we don't let them play speed games

people = noobs---Two options: (1) have this be an "advanced" setting that ?s aren't allowed to play, or (2) (my opinion) it doesn't matter. As long as you don't let freemiums play it, the noobie premiums that you're concerned about can just go enter another game. Or they can enter 3 72 hour games instead of 1 24 hour game.

The other criticism was a worry about people fleeing the 24 hour games for the longer games. My response is (1) if this happens then it will prove that it was a truly desirable feature to implement. Should we not implement a feature out of fear that a vast majority of users will like it?! And (2) I don't think this will actually happen. There are well over 3000 games waiting for players right now, and each player has the option of creating their own games. If you want games on your settings, find them or create them. If no one wants to play your types of games ... well TS.
Colonel agentcom

Postby HighlanderAttack on Sat May 19, 2012 2:22 pm

I would like to have a button I could click on that extended my time by a day, two days or even a week--probably not a week --but 1-2 days would help in situations where real life comes into play--maybe get three of these extensions per year.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

Postby agentcom on Sat May 19, 2012 9:32 pm

HighlanderAttack wrote:I would like to have a button I could click on that extended my time by a day, two days or even a week--probably not a week --but 1-2 days would help in situations where real life comes into play--maybe get three of these extensions per year.

Interesting idea. Probably should be the topic of another suggestion, though. But briefly, there's probably concern on the effects on freemiums. If I'm a freemium tourney player, who joined a 1 v 1 game because I knew it would be finished around the time that I needed a slot open for a tourney and I got hit with a 3-day wait, I might be a little pissed. Hell when you only have a couple turns to take a day anyway, it would kind of suck to have a game completely taken out of rotation for a few days. That said, I would totally use this a couple or few times a year.
Colonel agentcom

Postby chapcrap on Sun May 20, 2012 5:32 pm

HighlanderAttack wrote:I would like to have a button I could click on that extended my time by a day, two days or even a week--probably not a week --but 1-2 days would help in situations where real life comes into play--maybe get three of these extensions per year.

This is truly a good idea.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Lindax on Sun May 20, 2012 5:57 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Agree with this suggestion.

Sometimes when you have a hard day at work, it would be nice not to come home and have to take 40 or 50 turns. A 48- or 72- hour option would be very welcome.

Maybe you guys should be less active on CC. :mrgreen:

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby lucabucci on Wed May 23, 2012 4:15 pm

I would definitely back longer rounds as I've just started a new job and right now there are some days when I struggle to find the time to take my turns. I used to play 30-40 games but now play less than 10 for this reason. I'd say 36 or 48 hour length as opposed to any longer as an 8 player game would take too long.
Sergeant 1st Class lucabucci

Postby redhawk92 on Wed May 23, 2012 5:40 pm

just make a quick play in your turns of if ur going away for a few days get an account sitter, problem solved
Captain redhawk92

Postby agentcom on Thu May 24, 2012 12:36 am

kylegraves1 wrote:

just make a quick play in your turns of if ur going away for a few days get an account sitter, problem solved

I find sitters to be a necessary evil to be used in exceptional circumstances. I usually try to get teammates to take team games. I don't trust anyone to play my 1 v 1 games as well as me for the simple reason that I've seen the entire game progress. I try to leave notes when I can, but I can't prepare a sitter for every eventuality.
Colonel agentcom

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions